PDA

View Full Version : Should the Steelers Consider Adding Another Pass Catching Tight End?

stillers4me
04-10-2011, 08:25 AM
If you’re compiling a list of Steelers pre-draft needs (and I’m willing to bet that you are) you’re not likely to put tight end anywhere near the top.

Heath Miller is one of the best all-around players at the position in the NFL (despite being snubbed by the folks over at ESPN in their positional power rankings (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/25756/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-tight-ends)), is still in the prime of his career and isn’t likely to be going anywhere anytime soon. Combine that with the issue of depth and talent along the offensive line and at cornerback, along with a defensive line that’s getting to be a little long in the tooth and tight end probably doesn’t strike you as something that’s in dire need of addressing.

And, truth be told, it’s probably not.

Still, I tend to be very liberal with my approach to the draft. I want to see talent and players that can make a long, lasting impact, regardless of position. In other words: don’t take a cornerback just to say you addressed the need; if that player doesn’t have a grade that justifies his selection at that spot, look somewhere else...............

Read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/steelers-adding-pass-catching-tight/#more-4776

GBMelBlount
04-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Still, I tend to be very liberal with my approach to the draft.

I want to see talent and players that can make a long, lasting impact, regardless of position.

In other words: don’t take a cornerback just to say you addressed the need; if that player doesn’t have a grade that justifies his selection at that spot, look somewhere else...............

Based on how things have panned out going BPA the last few years I gotta say it seems as though the strategy has worked.

I use to get so irritated when the Oline was overlooked early in the draft and admittedly was ecstatic when we drafted Pouncey... however, I moreso tend to shrug and trust the FO because their strategy has been working.

Texasteel
04-11-2011, 09:57 AM
If we decide we need a pass catching TE, there is one out of Portland St that Chidi introduced me to, and I am somewhat taken with. Name is Thomas, and he's going to be a later mid round keeper.

steelerfan
04-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Well I definitely say YES! Miller is a key cog for our offense. But Speath has disappointed too many times. The guy I REALLY am excited about is a sleeper kid who may, or may not even be drafted. He was Invited to the combine, and he did pretty well. So I doubt he goes undrafted. His name is
Schuylar Oordt of Northern Iowa. He is very tall and with some decent size at 6ft, 6 and 260 Lbs.
Here is a Draftscout Bio on him. Take a look at his YPC averages in college, and his verticle.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=86124&draftyear=2011&genpos=TE

He could make for a nice TE Combo along with Miller in the redzone for Ben. I mean it would take a hell of a defender from keeping that Huge guy from leaping up in the endzone and grabbing the ball.

Dodt
04-11-2011, 10:13 AM
so i am guessing there is no love for speath?

LLT
04-11-2011, 10:14 AM
I we decide we need a pass catching TE, there is one out of Portland St that Chidi introduced me to, and I am somewhat taken with. Name is Thomas, and he's going to be a later mid round keeper.

yea....the prospect you are referring to is Julius Thomas....he played basketball at Portland State also.

steelerfan
04-11-2011, 10:23 AM
yea....the prospect you are referring to is Julius Thomas....he played basketball at Portland State also.

Yes, and here is his Bio. He is also very interesting. However, not as tall/Big or as Athletic as Oordt is. But not bad.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=115213&draftyear=2011&genpos=TE

steelerfan
04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Better jump on him quick...before the Dolphins reel him in :-)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/636862-2011-nfl-draft-miami-dolphins-interested-in-former-hoops-standout-julius-thomas

Texasteel
04-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Yes, and here is his Bio. He is also very interesting. However, not as tall/Big or as Athletic as Oordt is. But not bad.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=115213&draftyear=2011&genpos=TE

He looked to be one of the better Offensive weapons in the Shrine game. Seemed to have a nose for the open aria, and will be a tremendous Red Zone weapon for Ben. How ever, I am still looking and liking Lee Smith. I think Smith has better hands than he get credit for and looks to throw a block. I don't quite know why Smith is dropping in the draft, but I would sure as hell take him. My 6th round pick.

steelerfan
04-11-2011, 11:12 AM
He looked to be one of the better Offensive weapons in the Shrine game. Seemed to have a nose for the open aria, and will be a tremendous Red Zone weapon for Ben. How ever, I am still looking and liking Lee Smith. I think Smith has better hands than he get credit for and looks to throw a block. I don't quite know why Smith is dropping in the draft, but I would sure as hell take him. My 6th round pick.

Sorry sir but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. Although Lee Smith is probably one of the better Blocking TE's in the draft. He is a below average Athlete, and can't stretch the field. He can be brought in as a undrafted free agent if you like. But I seriously doubt he gets drafted for the reasons I mentioned.

Texasteel
04-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Sorry sir but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. Although Lee Smith is probably one of the better Blocking TE's in the draft. He is a below average Athlete, and can't stretch the field. He can be brought in as a undrafted free agent if you like. But I seriously doubt he gets drafted for the reasons I mentioned.

Sir? God, how old do you think I am. I do appreciate the respect tho.:wink02:

There are going to be few TEs that can stretch the field. That is more the job of the WRs, then the TE can find the gaps. I never said Smith is a great athlete, just a good football player and I will take that over a great athlete that doesn't know what he is doing any day. Lee Smith had 38 catches, for 358 yards, and 3 TDs as a blocking TE, and I do think he has better hands that he gets credit for. You never know for sure where these kids are going, but I would be surprised if Lee gos undrafted. Personally I think he will going the 6th or 7th rounds.

Remember a blocking TE has value as well against a pass rusher. We gota keep Ben on his feet.

The Duke
04-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Sir? God, how old do you think I am. I do appreciate the respect tho.:wink02:

There are going to be few TEs that can stretch the field. That is more the job of the WRs, then the TE can find the gaps. I never said Smith is a great athlete, just a good football player and I will take that over a great athlete that doesn't know what he is doing any day. Lee Smith had 38 catches, for 358 yards, and 3 TDs as a blocking TE, and I do think he has better hands that he gets credit for. You never know for sure where these kids are going, but I would be surprised if Lee gos undrafted. Personally I think he will going the 6th or 7th rounds.

Remember a blocking TE has value as well against a pass rusher. We gota keep Ben on his feet.

Completely agree

Leave athletes for Al Davis to draft. Lee Smith is probably one of the best blockers in this draft and I would gladly have him boot Spaeth outta here. Didn't know he was dropping though. We used a 3rd on Spaeth, as long as was have a CB and some offensive linemen by the 5th I wouldn't mind pulling the trigger for Smith

LLT
04-11-2011, 12:29 PM

He ran a 4.93...that is probably the reason for his drop in the rankings. That being said, he DOES have softer hands then he is given credit for and is the best blocking TE in this class. Heck...we RARELY throw to Spaeth and he is a terrible blocker. I would have no problem with us bringing in someone to light a fire under Spaeths ass.

The Duke
04-11-2011, 12:42 PM
He ran a 4.93...that is probably the reason for his drop in the rankings. That being said, he DOES have softer hands then he is given credit for and is the best blocking TE in this class. Heck...we RARELY throw to Spaeth and he is a terrible blocker. I would have no problem with us bringing in someone to light a fire under Spaeths ass.

How about just bringing in someone to give Spaeth a one way ticket to Cleveland :chuckle:

If all else fails, I still hope we get Jeff King in free agency, whenever that happens....