PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Roethlisberger, Arians still thinking pass

stillers4me
04-10-2011, 08:20 AM
They think alike, Ben Roethlisberger and his offensive coordinator. So much so, the quarterback says, that both he and Bruce Arians wanted to pass more than they did during the 2010 season but did not for similar reasons -- pressure from others to run more often.

"If he were, I don't want to say 'allowed,' but his preference would be to throw the ball more, use the weapons we have and throw it," Roethlisberger said in an interview this past week with the Post-Gazette, his first since the Super Bowl. "Mine's the same way.

"But we both think the same in the no-huddle, that we call a lot more runs because we know that's what we're supposed to do. And I don't know if that's 'supposed to' from the fans, the media, the owner, who knows? But it's just a feeling that you have that we better run the ball some. So we do think alike in a lot of those ways."................

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11100/1138301-66.stm

steelerdude15
04-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Of course they are. If they do, maybe haters will finally shut up about Ben not putting up "great" stats. :rolleyes:

Mach1
04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Whoda thunk a qb that wants to throw it more.

But when the guy that signs your checks tells you to run it, you run it.

HometownGal
04-11-2011, 06:48 AM
I liked the balance we had this past season and it played a part in taking us all the way to the big game. I would also like to see a little more of the no huddle, but understand totally why they didn't do it more last season.

Personally, whether they run or pass, as long as there is a W in the column at the end of the day is really all I care about. Stats schmats.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Personally, whether they run or pass, as long as there is a W in the column at the end of the day is really all I care about. Stats schmats.

That is a fair opinion and I can respect that.

I think some fans (I am one of them) get more interested in how we get the wins and the losses and that is why the conversations of playing styles go on. Its like watching HDTV....some just care about the picture and others are also interested in if its 720P, 1080P, LCD, Plasma, etc.

No surprise to most that a QB likes to throw the football, just like RB's like to rush the ball instead of play blitz pickup.

steeldevil
04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
So you are telling me that a Quarterback and a man named Bruce Arians like to throw the ball....

I'm so shocked I don't know what to say....

:rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-11-2011, 12:51 PM
So you are telling me that a Quarterback and a man named Bruce Arians like to throw the ball....

I'm so shocked I don't know what to say....

:rolleyes:

"...and in other news, it appears that Lindsay Lohan has a substance abuse issue and there is unrest in the Middle East." Stay Classy Steeler Fans. :)

steeldevil
04-11-2011, 02:12 PM
"...and in other news, it appears that Lindsay Lohan has a substance abuse issue and there is unrest in the Middle East." Stay Classy Steeler Fans. :)

I'm Ron Burgundy?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm Ron Burgundy?
And I love Scotch. So what.

If you are Ron Burgandy, then of course you know that San Diego is german.... ;)

steeldevil
04-11-2011, 03:07 PM
.... for Phillip Rivers' vagina.

:heh:

HometownGal
04-11-2011, 03:29 PM
That is a fair opinion and I can respect that.

I think some fans (I am one of them) get more interested in how we get the wins and the losses and that is why the conversations of playing styles go on. Its like watching HDTV....some just care about the picture and others are also interested in if its 720P, 1080P, LCD, Plasma, etc.

No surprise to most that a QB likes to throw the football, just like RB's like to rush the ball instead of play blitz pickup.

Trust me when I tell you, Gonz - I'm not some bubble headed bimbo who doesn't understand and pay attention to the mechanics of the game.

What I'm saying is that people get too wrapped up in percentages and stats. If we can win a game with a 70/30 pass/run ratio, great. If we win a game with a 80/20 run/pass ratio, that's fine too. The bottom line is that players are paid to get the job done - whatever it takes.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Trust me when I tell you, Gonz - I'm not some bubble headed bimbo who doesn't understand and pay attention to the mechanics of the game.

What I'm saying is that people get too wrapped up in percentages and stats. If we can win a game with a 70/30 pass/run ratio, great. If we win a game with a 80/20 run/pass ratio, that's fine too. The bottom line is that players are paid to get the job done - whatever it takes.. Htg I know that u know the game, comment wasn't meant as an insult
Just observing that while some just want results, others want to see methodology that produces the results. A qb saying he wants to throw mostly or a rb that says they want to run mostly is stupid in my mind. That's just me

tihmtahm
04-11-2011, 11:58 PM
. Htg I know that u know the game, comment wasn't meant as an insult
Just observing that while some just want results, others want to see methodology that produces the results. A qb saying he wants to throw mostly or a rb that says they want to run mostly is stupid in my mind. That's just me

The Raiders (Al Davis) seem to think that same way. The results are evident that maybe they need to change up the game plan as situations dictate. Steelers football is Steelers football... Passing or running it's always going to be in your face smash-mouth football.

Texasteel
04-12-2011, 06:05 AM
I think that there is a misconception that those that think win first does not care about the flow of the game, and that is just not true. I personal want to see the team to do what is working to gain that win, run or pass. If a game comes down to run run grinding it out I'm fine with that. If it comes down to throwing the ball more that 50% of the time that's OK as well. If it take a great defensive play or a huge offensive drive, it's all good to me. I know that not everything is going to be working all the time, and where it maybe best to be productive at all phases of the game, that is not always going to happen. Some times you do what you have to do, and I've learned that the good team, and coaches do just that.

Craic
04-12-2011, 04:06 PM
IMO,

A truly dangerous team is a team that can have a 80/20 pass to run percentage, and win one week against a bad pass defense, and a 80/20 run to pass percentage the next week, winning against a team with a bad pass defense.

If a team is building, or rebuilding, then go with the run first. It is easier to pick decent RB's than it is to pick a franchise QB. It is easier to pick big, heavy guys, point them in a direction and say attack, then it is to pass block and work on timings, etc. So if you are building, then its defense and a run game. But when you are on top, then a team MUST be about the pass.

The 70's Steelers knew that. Looking at the lead up to, and the large run of AFC Champions up to 1984, then two years after that- an interesting trend shows (these are all run to pass ratios).

1965 53.48 we won 2 games
1966 48.32 We went 5-8-1
1967 59.37 We went 4-9-1
1968 46.94 We went 2-12,
1969 50.57 Notice the increase in running, we drafted Fuqua, Joe Green and L.C. Greenwood. Also had Andy Russell playing. That is a RB, and defense.
1970 52.94% Bradshaw takes over, as a franchise QB, you throw the ball. 5-9
1971, 50.12% 6-8. Ham, White, Holmes, Wagner.
1972, 60.54% Drafted Franco. notice what you now have, A Defense, and a Run game. Lost to the famous Dolphins this year.
1973, 64.24% The defense and Run game are very strong. Out first round, how to make it to the next round? See next draft
1974, 58.58%, significant drop in run game, drafted Swann, Lambert Stallworth, Webster. 3 offensive giants. 9 of the 11 Steel Curtain defense were now playing, Shell was on the team. Defense is set. Won SB
1975, Back up to 63%, Won SB
1976, 70%, injury to Bradshaw pushes this stat.
1977, 63%
1978, 62.78% Win SB
1979, 53.28% Win SB
1980, 51.41%
1981, 54.58% (9-7 the previous year, went back to run)
1982, 51.24, AFCCent Champions again
1983 60.02 (Injury to Bradshaw) AFCC again
1984, 56.44 AFCCent champs again, Lost AFCCG
1985, 51.38 Beginning of a 5/6 year dry spell.

What does all this mean? IMO, it proves the point that you build with a run game and defense, but you stay on top with a pass game and defense.

Cowher finally figured that out.
92, 45% Run. Noll retires. Time to turn things around, so go to the run.
93, 55% Run, AFCCent Champs
94 54% Run, AFCCG loss
95, 45% Run, SB loss
96, 53.5 run,
97, 55% Run, AFCCG loss

He then started passing more, but it was too late as the window had closed. The defense was being reshaped during this period with new personnel.

Basically, rebuilt a bit, then in 2001, ran 59% and lost AFCCG, 02 48% and lost on that horrid call against the Titans.

03 was a reload year, lots of injuries, Porter shot in Denver.
04 Went back to the Run, AFCCG loss.
05 Put the game in Ben's hands, then sealed it with runs, SB victory.

Let's also look at this year, the top QB's and defenses made it and went deep in the playoffs, the ones who lacked a good pass game and defense, lost.

So, we are not rebuilding, nor reloading, there is no reason to focus on the run game and try to make it the bread of butter of this team, especially with the changes in the rules over the last 30 years. When we start rebuilding in a couple years due to age, then we rely on the run game more to get us through.

Statistically, this coming year is going to be a better year for us. In the 2000's we go in 3 year cycles. 01, 02; bad year 03. 04, 05; bad year 06. 07, 08, bad year 09. 10, 11?, bad year 12?

So, throw it all over the place this year, I don't care. If trends continue, next year is the time to worry about running more.