PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Will Draft A Linebacker In 2011 Draft

stillers4me
04-09-2011, 10:05 PM
It’s no wonder that the Pittsburgh Steelers’ linebackers are considered the bread and butter of the team, and consistently being one of the best overall units in the NFL. With the sheer numbers of linebackers that find their way to Pittsburgh via the NFL draft, along with master defensive coordinator and Pro Football Hall of Fame (http://www.profootballhof.com/default.aspx)cornerback Dick LeBeau, plus linebacker mastermind Keith Butler it’s to hard to believe that the overall talent of the unit will drop off anytime soon.

That includes any time that the Steelers have to ‘plug and play’ that is, of course, replace a departed player, an injury substitution, etc. These guys just consistently get the job done and are widely regarded as the best in the business not only because of their physical tools, but because of the discipline instilled in them by LeBeau and Butler............

Read more @ http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2011/04/pittsburgh-steelers-will-draft-a-linebacker-in-2011-draft.html/

steeldevil
04-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Yes we probably will draft a LB at some point in the draft. When do we not?

And I cant see Sylvester starting over Farrior this upcoming season (if there is one) at all. I'm pretty sure that when Tomlin and the Steelers think that Farrior is done and needs to be replaced in the starting lineup they will let him know so he can retire. I don't really see Farrior sticking around to be a backup...

Galax Steeler
04-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Nice read thanks for sharing.

LLT
04-10-2011, 07:46 AM
I think the writer may be correct. As much as I try and ignore the fact that the Steelers might grab a LBer...if I start working my way through prospects and where they may land...the 2nd round seems to always show that the BPA may be Sam Acho or Bruce Carter.

Sam Acho 6'2 262 and ran a 4.67 forty...He won the 2010 William V. Campbell Trophy, which is the "Academic Heisman" trophy. He is ranked #68 overall by NFLDraftScout.Lat year he had 59 tackles, 17 TFL, nine sacks, and five forced fumbles

Bruce Carter is 6'2 241 and ran a 4.57. Carter suffered a season-ending knee injury this last year that required surgery so you have to look at his play the year before to truly appreciate his atheticism... He had 68 tackles, 11 TFL, five sacks, five blocked kicks, and one interception that was returned for a TD. He is ranked #61 overall by NFLDraftScout.

I pray that we are not looking at ILB Martez Wilson....some team will over-draft him and I HOPE that its not the Steelers. He is as stiff as any LBer that I have seen, and the biggest portion of his tackles are due to Illinois' scheme. He might pan out in the NFL, but his talent level doesnt match his draft grade.

st33lersguy
04-10-2011, 08:32 AM
I think the writer may be correct. As much as I try and ignore the fact that the Steelers might grab a LBer...if I start working my way through prospects and where they may land...the 2nd round seems to always show that the BPA may be Sam Acho or Bruce Carter.

Sam Acho 6'2 262 and ran a 4.67 forty...He won the 2010 William V. Campbell Trophy, which is the "Academic Heisman" trophy. He is ranked #68 overall by NFLDraftScout.Lat year he had 59 tackles, 17 TFL, nine sacks, and five forced fumbles

Bruce Carter is 6'2 241 and ran a 4.57. Carter suffered a season-ending knee injury this last year that required surgery so you have to look at his play the year before to truly appreciate his atheticism... He had 68 tackles, 11 TFL, five sacks, five blocked kicks, and one interception that was returned for a TD. He is ranked #61 overall by NFLDraftScout.

I pray that we are not looking at ILB Martez Wilson....some team will over-draft him and I HOPE that its not the Steelers. He is as stiff as any LBer that I have seen, and the biggest portion of his tackles are due to Illinois' scheme. He might pan out in the NFL, but his talent level doesnt match his draft grade.

I see I am not the only one with this sentiment. I also heard somewhere that he did not produce until his senior year.

tube517
04-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Yeah, we have to replace Thaddeus Gibson. :chuckle:

LLT
04-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Yeah, we have to replace Thaddeus Gibson. :chuckle:

I understand that you are joking but we do actually need a another OLB...other than Worilds, we have no depth there. If Fox is cut, I doubt if the future plan is for us to keep sliding Timmons to the outside in an emergency.

86WARD
04-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Of course they will...lol.

Steeltreal
04-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Timmons is almost the Anchor in the defense and is maybe 1-2 years away from hitting his prime.

SteelerFanInStl
04-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Of course they will...lol.

Agreed. Hopefully it's not in the first 3 rounds though.