PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Ben Most Famous Pro in Pittsburgh History?

polamalubeast
04-07-2011, 11:32 AM
The reaction to Ben Roethlisberger’s engagement and July wedding plans by the media and fans has convinced me that this side of Mario Lemieux, Roethlisberger has become the most famous athlete in Pittsburgh history. It does not mean he’s the best, although he can hold his own in that area as well, but certainly one who has drawn more interest than any since I began covering sports here in the 1970s.

He’s 29 now and maybe only halfway through his career as the Steelers quarterback but look at all he’s been through in his seven seasons here – his motorcycle accident, the two women who accused him of sexual assault, his three Super Bowl appearances and two victories and his consistently good play.

He’s now entered a more mature age and has, by all accounts, become more mature with it – last March had a lot to do with it, what Ben refers to as his “wakeup call.’’

Ed I greatly respect your work except for the O'Donnell comments in the 4/3 article. O'Donnell never set foot in the burg after the 95 Super Bowl. He would never have seen the sun rise the next morning. Staying with the Steelers for one second more would have been suicide. It was not just the money, it was survival.
ME: Yeah, I’ve heard that from people down through the years. Why? Because he did not play well enough in Super Bowl XXX and they lost to the heavily favored Cowboys? Roethlisberger threw a few bad passes in Super Bowl XV. Is he allowed to set foot back in Heinz Field this season?

read more

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109140-ed-ben-most-famous-pro-in-pittsburgh-history