PDA

View Full Version : Ben Talks About His Wedding, Fiancee

LLT
04-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Ben Talks About His Wedding, Fiancee
Wednesday, 06 April 2011
Written by Ed Bouchette

Spent part of this afternoon interviewing Ben Roethlisberger at his home near North Park in Allegheny County. It’s his first interview of any kind since the Super Bowl.

We talked about many subjects but, of course, what made almost as much news as the Super Bowl was his engagement to Ashley Harlan of New Castle. They were engaged over Christmas but have neither spoken about it nor confirmed it – until now.

“I was surprised at how much media attention it was getting – it’s just an engagement,’’ Roethlisberger said. “I never expected it to be on the front pages of all the papers and websites. There was speculation what our invitations would look like and who is coming! It almost seemed surreal, it was like a movie or something, it was weird.”

Read More: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109132-ed-ben-talks-about-his-wedding-fiance

Chidi29
04-06-2011, 03:50 PM
“it's just an engagement,’’

Hope Ashley doesn't read this. :chuckle:

stillers4me
04-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Instead of wedding gifts, they’re asking their guests to make a donation to the quarterback’s foundation and he will then turn it over to Ronald McDonald House and Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh.

Nice job, Ben and Ashley! My sincere congratulations to both.

siss
04-06-2011, 04:23 PM
“it's just an engagement,’’

Typical guy!

HometownGal
04-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I think it is wonderful what Ben and the future Mrs. Ben are doing with the money they receive as gifts! :drink:

I'm very happy for them both, though I still think it happened kind of fast. :noidea:

Craic
04-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Hope Ashley doesn't read this. :chuckle:

I was thinking the EXACT same thing.. Ben has just gotten himself in more trouble this offseason than the last two combined!!!

Craic
04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I think it is wonderful what Ben and the future Mrs. Ben are doing with the money they receive as gifts! :drink:

I'm very happy for them both, though I still think it happened kind of fast. :noidea:

Could be, but of course, my wife and I met one month, started dating the next, got engaged a couple months later, and married a couple months after that. From "Hello, my name is..." to "I do" in about 5 and a half months... and that was twelve years ago.

To steal a line from Ruth Graham Bell, late wife of Billy Graham the evangelist, when asked if she ever considered divorcing Billy Graham, "Divorce? Oh no dear, murder. . . absolutely. But never divorce."

Chidi29
04-06-2011, 05:36 PM

For what it's worth, according to the article, they dated for a little while previously. They broke it off, remained friends, and started dating again. It seems they've known each other for awhile.

HometownGal
04-06-2011, 05:41 PM
For what it's worth, according to the article, they dated for a little while previously. They broke it off, remained friends, and started dating again. It seems they've known each other for awhile.

I'm not going to speculate any further - just my thoughts. I wish them every happiness. :drink:

SteelerSal
04-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Not that I care about this whole "ben's getting married" deal because I hate any gossip (or dancing) that has to do with football players because i only care about what they do on the field and not their personal life....but...there is no perfect recipe for a time frame of knowing a person and an engagement that will make fora long and lasting marriage.
Heck i was with my ex a total of 4 and a half years before we married and it crapped out and preacher is still going strong with his short courtship before marriage..

siss
04-06-2011, 06:01 PM
I was thinking the EXACT same thing.. Ben has just gotten himself in more trouble this offseason than the last two combined!!!
It depends on how good she is with the "cold shoulder"!

stillers4me
04-06-2011, 06:03 PM
I take it they met at training camp in 2005 and dated on and off. Sounds like they know each other well enough and he must have turned to her in his "hour of need". Kudos to Ashley for standing by her man.

siss
04-06-2011, 06:07 PM
It sounds like they dated and were better of just friends.

zulater
04-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Here's a quandry, say they haven't reached a new CBA by the time of Ben's wedding, will Goodell

allow the Steelers coaches and the Rooney's to attend the wedding?

siss
04-06-2011, 06:43 PM
That is a very good question.

Chidi29
04-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Here's a quandry, say they haven't reached a new CBA by the time of Ben's wedding, will Goodell allow the Steelers coaches and the Rooney's to attend the wedding?

By rule, they wouldn't be able to go. Can't have any contact whatsoever and teams have already been fined for it.

zulater
04-06-2011, 07:08 PM
By rule, they wouldn't be able to go. Can't have any contact whatsoever and teams have already been fined for it.

I'm not sure that applies to non football related matters. I honestly think they'll be able to attend.

Butch
04-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Here's a quandry, say they haven't reached a new CBA by the time of Ben's wedding, will Goodell

Only if it is aired on NFL Network and we have to give the pats 3 mid round draft picks

steelerdude15
04-06-2011, 07:24 PM

I would sue the living Hell out of the NFL for things like this. Anyways, congratulations to Ben and Ashley. I like what they're doing with the money they're going to receive.

Devilsdancefloor
04-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Congrats to ben and ashley! it is awesome what they are doing wiht the "gifts" they will receive!!

Moose
04-06-2011, 10:22 PM
I'll start with a congrat's to Ben and Ashley also. There hasn't been alot about her in the news and I personally think that is great. Keep her private affairs private. Without knowing her, I feel she must be a great person with a great frame of mind. With all of the bull crap Ben has been thru concerning the 'other' women, for her to stick with him and feel like she's ready to answer comments about it....as you know the dang media is going to ask her questions about Ben's past and try to commit her to some sort of statement. I hope she's smarter than they will be. I also think that's an excellent idea with the monies going to charities. I also think there will be a lot of privacy on this wedding day, so Tomlin and the Rooney's will be attending and no one knows. Good luck Ben and Ashley ... and stay strong, BOTH of you.

stillers4me
04-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Let's just hope it's all resolved by that point and the Rooney's and the coaches can attend and then Mr. and Mrs. can have a delayed honeymoon after Mr. wins the superbowl in Feb.!!

tube517
04-07-2011, 09:08 AM
http://www.iwu.edu/iwunews/magazine/pastissues/Fall_2005/Images/ref_flag.jpg

The Duke
04-07-2011, 10:38 AM

what's the penalty other than a fine though? Because I'm sure they would take the fine to attend ben's wedding

but this is goodell we're talking about so he could probably establish suspensions too

Butch
04-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I have no problem with what players do off the field as long as it doesn't affect what they do on it. My only concern (as if I have a say in it) is will this affect his play, if it doesn't affect him then hey I'm all for it.

As for the time spent dating Sal and Preacher made very good points, I will feel a whole lot better if he continues his winning ways or even gets better.

Best of Luck

Goaline
04-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Congrats BIGBEN!!!!

solardave
04-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Typical guy!

After all we've seen and heard lately about Ben, I think typical is OK?:wink02:

siss
04-08-2011, 12:08 AM
I like Ashley. She is the one responsible for our franchise pro bowl super bowl stud once in a life time Quarterback settling down and not be a frat boy any more.

If I were Ashley, I would let Ben make up to me not going on a honeymoon by winning a Super Bowl.

Or I would tell him that he can take me on our honeymoon after the season, in February. She is a steeler fan after all and she has some serious leverage! Tomlin threatens to take him out of a game if he gets hit and he says "I know one way to play". Ashley uses the lethal combination of water works, puppy dog eyes and the wife card and asks him if he wants to remember his kids names. Bam Ben no longer holds onto the ball to long and takes unnecessary hits.

Oh AND I bet she could help the oline to.

From now on instead of Ben taking the guys out, Ashley will cook for them. I mean they are responsible for keeping her husband up right.

If Ashley is the one that tames him and he can concentrate on winning Super Bowls than as far as I am concerned she deserves a statue outside Heinz field!

I called an engagement last year. I could see it coming from a mile away. There is a way a man acts when he is ready to settle down and I saw that in Ben last year. To be honest I wasn't surprised when he got engaged.

Butch
04-08-2011, 05:56 AM
What makes Ben bad is what makes Ben Great!!!

If he doesn't hold on to the ball and pump fake the defenders then he's not doing what Ben does. I'll let him hold on to the ball and scramble away from defenders all day long that's what makes him Great. Sure it backfires from time to time but Ben can do it like no other. Don't Change That!!!

If he gets rid of the ball early instead of his patent pump fake in XLIII the defender doesn't fall and slip and he may just end up picking the ball, instead Santonio gets the pass and sets us up for the game winner.

In the same game if Ben gets rid of it early we don't get the pass to Santonio to win it.

Don't Change What Makes You GREAT!!!