PDA

View Full Version : Jake Locker may owe the Angels some money?

Aussie_steeler
05-30-2010, 05:48 AM
A decision to concentrate on football this summer could cost Washington quarterback Jake Locker some significant pocket change.

Expected to be one of the top players taken in the NFL draft next April, Locker was selected in the 10th round of the MLB draft by the Los Angeles Angels last June.

He signed a six-year contract in August and was given a reported $250,000 bonus. Part of his contract required his participation in summer baseball. However, he told a Seattle radio station that he would be with his teammates in Seattle.
"I'm going to concentrate on getting ready for this coming football season," Locker told ESPN Radio in Seattle. "It's a big summer for us (the UW offense) as far as making sure that we're here spending time with each other, getting cohesion between me and the receivers and the running backs and the line, able to work with everybody as a unit."

The announcement appears to have caught the Angels off guard. General manager Tony Reagins said it was "news to me." He later added that failing to play this summer would have repurcussions for Locker.

"There are provisions in the contract and any time you have a contract and one party doesn't live up to those provisions, there are recourses you can take," Reagins said.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/05/focusing-on-football-this-summer-could-be-costly-to-washingtons-jake-locker/1

The money he owes MLB may be small change compared to what he is going to make in the 2011 draft. Even if a rookie pay scale is brought in I think Locker is still going to collect a tidy sum