PDA

View Full Version : Would the Steelers Avoid Aaron Williams Because of Limas Sweed and Tony Hills?

stillers4me
04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
At the bottom of his Sunday notebook in the Post-Gazette, Ed Bouchette asked if the lack of success from former Texas Longhorns Tony Hills and Limas Sweed would make the Steelers hesitate to use a top draft pick on cornerbacks Aaron Williams or Curtis Brown, two players that also spent their college days in Austin.

From Bouchette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11093/1136354-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)…

But even if Harris is gone and it looks as though Williams is the obvious choice, would the Steelers hesitate because of their experience with Longhorns?
Two Longhorns drafted by them in the 2008 season have done little in three seasons — wide receiver Limas Sweed, their second-round pick, and tackle Tony Hills, drafted on the fourth round.
They have had great success with Casey Hampton, but he came from a different Texas culture when they drafted him in the first round in 2001. Another veteran Texas player, Jonathan Scott, helped save them at left tackle last season.
Vince Young also has been a major disappointment in the NFL and it has prompted many to wonder if there is not a certain culture that has enveloped the Texas program that inhibits some Longhorns as pros.
At first glance the idea that the success or failure of past players would alter a teams draft strategy seems a little silly. Aaron Williams should be judged and picked (or not picked) based only on the merits of Aaron Williams. The development of a past player from the same school shouldn’t have anything to do with the development of another player. They’re different players and different people with different personalities and different motivations.............

Read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/steelers-avoid-aaron-williams-limas-sweed-tony-hills-2/

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Michael Huff, Jamaal Charles, Casey Hampton, Justin Blaylock, Brian Orakpo, Aaron Ross, Quentin Jammer, Earl Thomas, Cedric Griffin, Cedric Benson.....

Yeah, no use picking anybody from Texas. They never make decent NFL players, just Tony Hills, Limas Sweed and Jon Scott.

Chidi29
04-06-2011, 10:25 AM
If that really would scare us off, why did the team send practically everyone down to Texas' Pro Day?

steeldevil
04-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Whole concept is just stupid. Earl Thomas was great this year.

steelerfan
04-11-2011, 12:39 AM
I don't think Aaron Williams is a pure CB. I have heard he has very bad hands. More likely a free safety in the league. He maybe can play some CB in Dime packages. But I have my worries about him being a starter at CB. But the Texas program now is the same when we drafted Hampton.

solardave
04-11-2011, 02:44 AM
If that really would scare us off, why did the team send practically everyone down to Texas' Pro Day?

Maybe to see how big of a mistake we would be making?:toofunny:

It's the off season and we have to read something I guess. It's the old "say something,even if it's wrong".