PDA

View Full Version : Haynesworth will skip minicamp, wants trade

polamalubeast
06-16-2010, 05:05 AM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/haynesworth-will-skip-minicamp.html

Haynesworth will skip minicamp, wants trade
Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who skipped the Redskins' voluntary workout program in protest of his new role on the team, will not attend the mandatory minicamp that begins Wednesday and wants to be traded, his agent said Tuesday night.

"The Redskins are trying to establish a new regime with new schemes at Redskins Park, and it is not an organization that Albert would have ever been attracted to just a short year ago - regardless of the money," agent Chad Speck said in a phone interview. "He has made it clear to me that he does not want to play for the Washington Redskins.

"This situation will be a distraction to the Redskins and to Albert and his teammates. I am certain [head coach] Mike [Shanahan] and [General Manager] Bruce [Allen] want to get the most out of their first year and it's probably in everyone's best interests for the Redskins to make a deal and trade Albert."

Redskins Senior Vice President Tony Wyllie said "We're preparing for minicamp, so Coach Shanahan will address your question tomorrow."

For weeks, Haynesworth has privately expressed frustration to some teammates about the coaching staff's decision to use him as a nose tackle in Washington's new 3-4 defensive scheme, and told them he would not participate in voluntary activities as defined by the league's collective bargaining agreement.

Team officials maintain they have never discussed trading the two-time all-pro, but the Redskins have had talks with clubs interested in acquiring Haynesworth, according to people familiar with the situation.

Haynesworth missed all but one day of Coach Mike Shanahan's 47-day voluntary program, including six days of minicamps, 13 organized team activities and 28 days designated for lifting, according to a copy of the team's offseason schedule. In March, he attended Shanahan's introductory session to inform him he planned to train on his own.

Shanahan, who shortly after his hiring stressed the importance of his offseason program, acknowledged he was disappointed in Haynesworth's decision, but the NFL's collective bargaining agreement prohibits teams from fining players for skipping voluntary activities. The two-day minicamp is Washington's only mandatory event, and Haynesworth is aware of the potential consequences of his actions, Speck said.

By Jason Reid | June 15, 2010; 8:11 PM ET

st33lersguy
06-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Trade him to the Cowgirls, that would be so funny

steelpride12
06-16-2010, 11:01 AM
What a waste he turned out to be.

steelerdude15
06-16-2010, 11:27 AM
What a moron, I'd be so pissed if I was a Skins fan.

Devilsdancefloor
06-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Well you get what you pay for... and you paid for a PITA! He is a NT fat albert needs to get over it

The Duke
06-16-2010, 11:35 AM
What a waste he turned out to be.

I really hope nobody expected him to be anything after receiving that 100 million contract....

steeldawg
06-16-2010, 11:36 AM
This guy is such a fat lazy bastard he is always crying about something.

polamalubeast
06-16-2010, 11:41 AM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/06/16/london-fletcher-rips-albert-haynesworth/

Bruce Ciskie
Blogger
Tuesday, we learned for certain that Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth no longer wanted to be a Washington Redskin.

Haynesworth, who signed a huge contract with Washington last year, is upset with the changes new coach Mike Shanahan is making to the team's defense. Citing his desire to be allowed to play to his strengths, Haynesworth requested the Redskins make him go away.

In protest, Haynesworth sat out the team's mandatory minicamp that started Wednesday. It's a move that didn't sit well with one of his defensive teammates.

Linebacker London Fletcher spoke with the media before Wednesday's workout. Fletcher was a finalist for the 2009 NFL Man of the Year award, and he is one of the most respected players in the league. Certainly, his voice carries a little weight in the team's locker room.

Fletcher didn't hold back when asked about Haynesworth.

"I want teammates who I can depend on, who I can count on ... he's shown he can't be depended on," Fletcher told reporters.

That Fletcher so strongly rebuked Haynesworth's behavior is a sign of trouble for the big man. Haynesworth is likely not wanted in Washington if Fletcher felt the need to comment with such words.

A player with Fletcher's track record knows his opinions have meaning, both on his team and in the media.

It's one thing for a star player on a different team to call Haynesworth out. It's a whole different ballgame when his teammates start doing it.

Whether the Redskins can take back some of the money they gave him is irrelevant. Haynesworth has shown himself to be another shining example of the entitlement syndrome that Joe Fan hates about pro athletes. The team paid him a very impressive sum of money -- including $20 million just a couple months ago -- and now he's ready to bail because he's decided he doesn't fit Shanahan's preferred defense.

The Washington Post's Rick Maese reports that Shanahan isn't pleased, and he shouldn't be. Then again, he probably knew he was inheriting an impossible situation with Haynesworth. What he didn't know in advance was that Haynesworth would take money from the team, then start talking about how he wants out, thus torpedoing any trade value he may have had.

It's a messy situation for all involved, but one that the Redskins shouldn't be too terribly surprised by.

(Secret handshake: PFT)

polamalubeast
06-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Mike Shanahan: Albert Haynesworth took the Washington Redskins' money and ran out on his obligations

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said he was upset that DT Albert Haynesworth skipped a mandatory minicamp on Wednesday after the former Pro Bowler accepted a giant bonus of about $21 million in early April.

"He decided to take our check and we're very disappointed he wasn't here today," Shanahan said.

The coach said the team had an agreement with Haynesworth that if he took the money, he would willingly accede to the team's plans for him. Haynesworth signed a $100 million free-agent deal with the Redskins in March 2009.

Haynesworth informed the team on Tuesday night that he would skip minicamp, continuing his offseason-long absence from team workouts. He also demanded a trade and said he was unhappy with his role in the team's defense.

Shanahan said that he learned of Haynesworth's planned absence via news reports. Redskins GM Bruce Allen had said as late as Tuesday afternoon that he expected Haynesworth to attend.

But Shanahan rejected the idea that Haynesworth would be unhappy with the team's presumed switch to a 3-4 defense. "All our players play multiple positions," Shanahan said. "Albert hasn't been here, he has no idea what kind of defense we're running."

Shanahan said last month the Redskins had too much money invested in Haynesworth to lose him. And in late April, he rejected the possibility of a trade.

But on Wednesday he indicated the Redskins wouldn't rule it out. But he said it would require Haynesworth paying back some of the money (about $30 million) he has earned in the past 15 months.

Redskins LB London Fletcher scolded Haynesworth on Wednesday when he said the absence was a "very selfish decision."

"It's no different than his attitude and his approach to last year's defense, about wanting everything to revolve around him and him making plays," Fletcher said. "And if it didn't benefit him, he wasn't really willing to do it."

kmsteelerwr15
06-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Is anyone really surprised by this?

X-Terminator
06-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Is anyone really surprised by this?

No. He's a piece of crap - always has been.

BTW, nice job, Danny Boy! Overpaid for yet another worthless player. You'd think he'd learn his lesson by now.

BigNastyDefense
06-16-2010, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't trade his ass. I would fine him the max when he misses mandatory stuff and force him to play.

With all the people in this country laid off, taking pay cuts to keep their jobs, going part time to keep their jobs....and taking lesser jobs when unemployment runs out....and he's whining about having to change his position. I wish these athletes would step back and look at how lucky they are. They are being paid more than most people with real jobs get paid, and they get to play a game for a living. They don't have to work 12 hour shifts in a plant at a job they absolutely hate so they can put food on the table and a roof over their families heads. They don't have to work two minimum-wage jobs to do that. They get to buy expensive new vehicles, vehicles worth more than most people's houses. They own huge houses. Jewelery out the ass.

fansince'76
06-16-2010, 12:37 PM
I really hope nobody expected him to be anything after receiving that 100 million contract....

Danny Boy apparently did, but then his personnel decisions are the biggest reason why the Redskins have finished above .500 all of two times in the last decade.

Indo
06-16-2010, 12:37 PM
No. He's a piece of crap - always has been.

BTW, nice job, Danny Boy! Overpaid for yet another worthless player. You'd think he'd learn his lesson by now.

I don't think Dan-O will EVER learn. He's CONVINCED that the road to the SB runs straight thru his wallet...
One bad decision after another...

As for Haynesworth---if it were my decision I would let him go yesterday (and, of course, make him give back that $30million). He's clearly a locker room cancer and nothing good can come of trying to keep him around. If he won't be a Team Player maybe dumping him will improve the locker room morale. No one wants to play beside a guy whose first interest isn't to the Team.

venom
06-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Another bust for Daniel Snyder , tee hee

xX-TSK-Xx
06-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Shanahan says he will trade or release Haynesworth if he will return the $21 mil bonus he recieved on April 1st.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818af9a9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

BuddhaBus
06-16-2010, 02:42 PM
What would you expect from a POS like this. Class and honor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwxMRPTsYeo

Galax Steeler
06-16-2010, 02:57 PM
I hope nobody says those nasty words. He would look good in _ _ _ _ _ and _ _ _ _ . I wish nobody would take him he is not worth the time and trouble that he would bring to a team.

Kaeg
06-16-2010, 04:09 PM
I really like the way he was told that they expect him to show up if he took the money....so he takes the money and then doesn't show up. Real class.

ALLD
06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
1. He ruined it for the veterans like Jamarcus Russel ruined it for rookies.

2. The Skins will go after his signing bonus because he skipped mandatories and is in violation of his contract.

3. He is good for one-year contracts like T.O.

4. If he makes it to training camp you can bet he will be doing two-a-days everyday.