PDA

View Full Version : '01 Draft Hit One HR, Many Strikeouts

LLT
04-04-2011, 11:35 AM
'01 Draft Hit One HR, Many Strikeouts
04 April 2011
Written by Ed Bouchette

We took a look at the Steelers’ great 1971 draft here last week, now let’s turn to another milestone draft, from 10 years ago, 2001.

That was Kevin Colbert’s second draft but his first in which he spent his time preparing with the Steelers. He had only a few months to get ready for the 2000 draft.

He hit his first pick out of the park, drafting Casey Hampton, who remains their starting Pro Bowl nose tackle. His second pick also made the Pro Bowl and was defensive rookie of the year in the NFL, Kendrell Bell. However, Bell was wild and uncontrolled and flamed out quickly after that. There was little after that. They forfeited their third-round draft pick because of a salary cap violation. Mathias Nkwenti, taken in the fourth round, joins a long list of offensive tackles drafted in the third and fourth rounds who did not make it. Only two other players contributed anything – offensive lineman Chukky Okobi and defensive end Rodney Bailey.

Read More: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109064-ed-01-draft-hit-one-hr-many-strikeouts

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Lookout. Now the battle crys of "why is Bouchette hating on Colbert?" will be following soon.

Shame on Ed for pointing out any organizational shortcomings. I kind of like the follow up on Darnell Stapleton coaching womens football. I guess its obvious why he didnt get a contract offer huh.

Psycho Ward 86
04-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I kind of like the follow up on Darnell Stapleton coaching womens football. I guess its obvious why he didnt get a contract offer huh.

lol