PDA

View Full Version : Steelers meeting with OT prospects

LLT
04-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Steelers meeting with OT prospects
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 4, 2011

The Steelers are hosting three college prospects today, all offensive tackles from SEC schools.

The team is meeting with James Carpenter Jr. of Alabama, Marcus Gilbert of Florida and Jarriel King of South Carolina.

Read more: Steelers meeting with OT prospects - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_730618.html#ixzz1IZX02pFl

LLT
04-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Steelers meeting with OT prospects
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, April 4, 2011

The Steelers are hosting three college prospects today, all offensive tackles from SEC schools.

The team is meeting with James Carpenter Jr. of Alabama, Marcus Gilbert of Florida and Jarriel King of South Carolina.

Read more: Steelers meeting with OT prospects - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_730618.html#ixzz1IZX02pFl

We were talking about these three propsects in the draft section...here was my take on them.

Gilbert played almost exclusively at Left Guard. He has a pertty good kick slide but comes off the ball real slow...so I dont think he will play Tackle as a pro unless he can be coached-up on the right side. He will probably be a 2nd-3rd round pick.

Carpenter doesnt have the proto-typical size or the foot work to be a NFL tackle. Like Gilbert, he slides well but has stiff hips and is late getting off the ball. He "might" be able to play on the right side but is a better fit inside as an offensive guard. Also a 2nd -3rd round prospect.

King isnt even on my draft board.....waist bender...slow feet...poor hand placement...and character issues. He has been arrested for trespassing, theft, and assault.

Texasteel
04-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Don't really know much about King, but you and I have talked about the other two before and I agree, we are looking at them as OGs and not OT.

LLT
04-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Don't really know much about King, but you and I have talked about the other two before and I agree, we are looking at them as OGs and not OT.

Not sure why we are even looking at King...He isnt just a low character...He has BENGAL character!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Not sure why we are even looking at King...He isnt just a low character...He has BENGAL character!!!

Thanks for the breakdown on King. I dont know much about him. I think Carpenter can play RT, but also think that is what Chris Scott is going to do in the future, but it doesnt hurt to have a look I guess.