PDA

View Full Version : Austin Pettis to visit the Steelers next week

LLT
04-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Austin Pettis to visit the Steelers next week
4/2/2011
theredzone.org

Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post reports Boise State wide receiver Austin Pettis is scheduled to visit the Pittsburgh Steelers next week, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

Pettis has drawn fourth-round and fifth-round grades from draft analysts.

read more: http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/16136/Austin-Pettis-to-visit-the-Steelers-next-week/Default.aspx

st33lersguy
04-02-2011, 06:57 PM
With all the WRs we have I didn't think we needed another one

Steeldude
04-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Strengths:
• Excellent height and bulk with long arms
• Smooth with terrific natural athleticism
• Nice leaping ability and good body control
• Reliable hands and superb concentration
• Great ball skills and plucks ball out of air
• Ability to do some damage after the catch
• Smart with good instincts and awareness
• Is strong, tough, physical and aggressive
• Competitive and steps up in big situations
• Very productive, durable and experienced

Weaknesses:
• Lacks top speed, acceleration and quickness
• May struggle to get separation in the pros
• Is still not a very polished route runner
• Not a deep threat and won't stretch field
• Should do a much better job as a blocker
• Isn't going to contribute as a return man

Galax Steeler
04-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Strengths:
• Excellent height and bulk with long arms
• Smooth with terrific natural athleticism
• Nice leaping ability and good body control
• Reliable hands and superb concentration
• Great ball skills and plucks ball out of air
• Ability to do some damage after the catch
• Smart with good instincts and awareness
• Is strong, tough, physical and aggressive
• Competitive and steps up in big situations
• Very productive, durable and experienced

Weaknesses:
• Lacks top speed, acceleration and quickness
• May struggle to get separation in the pros
• Is still not a very polished route runner
• Not a deep threat and won't stretch field
• Should do a much better job as a blocker
• Isn't going to contribute as a return man

I have to ask why are we bringing him in for a visit?

Texasteel
04-03-2011, 07:07 AM
What make this interesting is that the Steelers seem to be actively looking for that big WR Ben has been asking for.

Count Steeler
04-03-2011, 09:04 AM
What make this interesting is that the Steelers seem to be actively looking for that big WR Ben has been asking for.

A more mature and refined Plaxico? Wonder if prison has changed his attitude at all? Worth a look if the opportunity arises.

Count Steeler
04-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Or has Limas learned how to squeeze a football?

LLT
04-03-2011, 10:56 AM

How about 6'4 208 lbs...Andre Holmes.

The D-II WR from Hillsdale ran a 4.45 at Michigans Pro day and had a 33.5-inch vertical. He is off most teams radar but is scheduled to make pre draft visits to Dallas & New England.

He had 104 catches...1,368 receiving yards... and caught 11 touchdown passes. He had a 6.69 in the 3-cone drill...which shows that he is quick as well as fast.

Chidi29
04-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Nothing wrong with looking at players from every position. You don't want to pigeon-hole yourself and solely look at just a few positions...and then panic and reach when there's a big run on that position right before you pick.

LLT
04-03-2011, 11:07 AM

Ward is at the end of his career....Sweed is a wash...and ARE is replaceable.

The Duke
04-03-2011, 11:36 AM
How about 6'4 208 lbs...Andre Holmes.

The D-II WR from Hillsdale ran a 4.45 at Michigans Pro day and had a 33.5-inch vertical. He is off most teams radar but is scheduled to make pre draft visits to Dallas & New England.

He had 104 catches...1,368 receiving yards... and caught 11 touchdown passes. He had a 6.69 in the 3-cone drill...which shows that he is quick as well as fast.

nice. Are those 104 catches from last year alone or his whole career? I love receivers that get lots of receptions, just look at sanders and brown in their last seasons

what round is he projected to go?

LLT
04-03-2011, 11:45 AM
nice. Are those 104 catches from last year alone or his whole career? I love receivers that get lots of receptions, just look at sanders and brown in their last seasons

what round is he projected to go?

That was last year alone...He had 5 games with over 126 yards!!!! He is predicted to be a UDFA....but before the draft, I think he will probably be a 6-7 rounder....with the chance that some team like the Patriots may overdraft him in the 5th round. As of now...he is way under the radar.

By the way...this kid was an academic achiever in college and has great cahracter.

The Duke
04-03-2011, 12:05 PM
That was last year alone...He had 5 games with over 126 yards!!!! He is predicted to be a UDFA....but before the draft, I think he will probably be a 6-7 rounder....with the chance that some team like the Patriots may overdraft him in the 5th round. As of now...he is way under the radar.

By the way...this kid was an academic achiever in college and has great cahracter.

man, he sounds perfect. And the great character is just gravy!

this guy needs to be under the tutelage is hines ward

steeldevil
04-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I was hoping that Michael Floyd of Notre Dame would come out. People had him rated as a 3rd round WR. Not sure why because he is very talented. Maybe if for some reason he is still not ranked as a 1st round talent next year the steelers can get him.

I agree that we need to pick a WR in the late rounds this year for insurance. Ward is old, ARE is good but an upgrade could be made, and Sweed could be that upgrade but who the hell knows? If he doesn't show something in camp this year he is cut.

Psycho Ward 86
04-03-2011, 01:29 PM

What receivers?

1) Hines is almost done
2) ARE is washed up
3) Wallace is lacking consistency at running short/intermediate routes
4) Sanders has shown potential as a THIRD receiver
5) Brown has shown some flashes

And we have proven talent at the receiver position for the long haul?

LLT
04-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Wallace is a VERY good reciever and Tomlin has a done a respectable job of making him more that the "one trick pony" that he said he was last year. He has a very good future.

Sanders and Brown are young...so the only thing we know at this time is that they both have flashes of talent with very good potential.

Other than those three, we have a very good Vet who is looking at the backside of his career ...we could bring in another WR and I would understand the thinking.

Steeldude
04-04-2011, 04:39 AM
I have to ask why are we bringing him in for a visit?

they bring many people in. this is the team that drafted kordell and handed him a starting QB. who knows what they dill do next :)

st33lersguy
04-04-2011, 04:27 PM
What receivers?

1) Hines is almost done
2) ARE is washed up
3) Wallace is lacking consistency at running short/intermediate routes
4) Sanders has shown potential as a THIRD receiver
5) Brown has shown some flashes

And we have proven talent at the receiver position for the long haul?

Wallace is more than a one trick pony he is good reciever who had a pro bowl worthy season and Sanders and Brown did well for rookies drafted out of the first two rounds. The Steelers also have real needs at CB, OL, and DL

Psycho Ward 86
04-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Wallace is more than a one trick pony he is good reciever who had a pro bowl worthy season and Sanders and Brown did well for rookies drafted out of the first two rounds. The Steelers also have real needs at CB, OL, and DL

One good season doesn't say a whole lot. People just automatically assume young players will get better far too often.

Mike Wallace isn't very impressive peeling off of decent press coverage. Very little YPC ability on square ins/square outs, screens/smoke patterns, and hooks. He still needs work. I think he'll get better but I think we all assume the best out of our players way too much simply because they are OUR beloved players.

Gotta be opportunistic AND prepare for the worst. Looks like the front office has all of the bases covered, good work.

steeldevil
04-04-2011, 05:39 PM
What Psycho Ward 86 said. You cannot just assume that the 3 young WR's will continue to improve. I like where we are with them, plus Sweed can still pan out, but we definitely need to draft a guy in the later rounds just in case.

NCSteeler
04-05-2011, 12:12 AM
There are 7 rounds to the draft right? Do you think they just plan the first three and then guess at the rest?