PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Jack Lambert Hit On Haven Moses

stillers4me
04-02-2011, 06:48 AM
Head injuries and defenseless players are the talk of professional sports at the moment (the NHL is trying to curb head injuries just as much, if not more, than the NFL) and it’s hard to ignore how the culture is rapidly changing. The result has been numerous fines, the threat of suspensions and rule changes all in the name of improving player safety.

Jack Lambert, usually listed around 220 pounds during his playing days, would have probably been a large safety in today’s NFL given his size (by comparison, James Farrior and Lawrence Timmons, the Steelers’ current middle linebackers, each have about 20 pounds on Lambert’s playing weight) and would have been regularly fined, if not suspended, for his style of play. Think James Harrison fines, only more frequent.

Randomly playing around YouTube tonight I stumbled on this (and I might have used it before in a daily thread during the season, though, I couldn’t find it) 1979 Monday night game involving the Steelers and Broncos that included this Lambert hit on Denver receiver Haven Moses. Try to imagine the fine today, and marvel at Howard Cosell’s anger because the ball wasn’t caught..................

Watch here @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/03/random-video-1979-jack-lambert-hit-haven-moses/

Moose
04-02-2011, 07:06 AM
I love the man ! # 58--- My jersey of choice on game day. Made football what it is....uurr, what it WAS !!

Count Steeler
04-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Ahh the good old days. Real commissioner, real football. No cry to protect the defender, just catch the damn ball. I love it.

86WARD
04-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Lol...one of Lamberts weaker hits.

SteelerFanInStl
04-02-2011, 08:24 AM

Agreed. A little forearm to the helmet but that was it.

Stlrs4Life
04-02-2011, 10:26 AM

I agree, the hit on Preston OPearson in the SB was harder than that.

Hindes204
04-02-2011, 11:22 AM
That was kind of weak for Lambert, lol. I love Cosels line "Its dangerous yes, but like you said, they get paid to catch!"

SteelerSal
04-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Great..video is out...Goodell got a hold of it and Lambert is expected to pay a hefty fine now. :lol:

Hearing the name, Haven Moses brought back some memories..have not heard that name in a long time.

SteelGhost
04-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Ohh the good 'ole days ! Thanks for the memories of REAL football Mr. Lambert :tea:

Steeldude
04-02-2011, 10:58 PM
i wish they still played tackle football. can you imagine what the NFL will be like in 20 years? i am thinking they will be dresses more like lacrosse players.

solardave
04-03-2011, 05:53 AM

You're right 86. Moses got up so I can guess Jack didn't cool his ass off with that hit.:rofl2:

BigNastyDefense
04-03-2011, 08:32 AM
That was WEAK! Lambert went easy on Haven Moses. Think about what it could have been if Moses had pissed Jack Splat off before that hit. The man would have been walking around the field looking for his head!

That is what football is supposed to be. Before long, (no)Goodell will institute a rule that any receiver going across the middle has to be given a fair chance to catch the ball, and with two feet down, and run five yards or into the endzone (whichever comes first) before he can be touched by a defender.