PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Free Agent Analysis: Keyaron Fox

stillers4me
03-31-2011, 05:37 AM
Onward with our breakdown of what the future might hold for the various Pittsburgh Steelers players whose contracts expired after the 2010 season. Let's continue with a versatile player who fell out of the good graces of Steeler Nation throughout the 2010 season -- reserve linebacker and special teams stalwart, Keyaron Fox.

2010 Salary: ~$800,000

The back story: Keyaron Fox was signed to a three-year deal in the spring of 2008 to provide depth to the linebacker corps and bolster the team's special teams prowess. The signing was very emblematic of how the Steelers approach free agency. That is, don't overpay for big name guys past their physical primes, and instead find underutilized guys coming off their rookie contract that are inexpensive and versatile. Fox has proven to be well worth the investment this past three years................

Read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/3/28/2075676/pittsburgh-steelers-2011-free-agent-analysis-keyaron-fox

XxKnightxX
03-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Sylvester and worilds are behind him, and we have Larry Foote on top of that. His boneheaded plays cost us field position on the last drive of the SB. BUh byeee

Merchant
03-31-2011, 01:08 PM
I want this guy gone. Absolute BONE-HEAD. Does not learn from past mistakes.

The Duke
03-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Other than the stupid penalties he has been an excellent special teamer for us and has shown he can actually play on D

thing is, how big of a contract is he offered? No need to overpay for a hot headed special teamer when sylvester is also in the waiting. But if he can stop with the penalties he's definitely a strength for us

Psycho Ward 86
03-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Wow some of you don't remember what he is. He's been better at LB than Larry Foote for sure. Nobody remembers the tenacious play of Keyaron Fox in his few several starts in '09? Great special teamer, most of you are just butt hurt over 2 or 3 penalties in Fox's entire stay in Pittsburgh.

Give me a break, Rodgers was going to score on us regardless of the 15 extra yards Fox handed them. GET. OVER. IT.

Burghfan58
03-31-2011, 06:09 PM
I think we have seen the best he has to offer and after last season I don't care if thay resign him. He was our Special team captain and played undisciplined football. Bye Bye

Psycho Ward 86
03-31-2011, 07:07 PM
I think we have seen the best he has to offer and after last season I don't care if thay resign him. He was our Special team captain and played undisciplined football. Bye Bye

He's a much better linebacker than Foote. Unless you'd rather have Larry Foote, who Steeldude has shown us multiple times with statistics that he was the most burned starting linebacker in pass coverage.

Keyaron Fox: Better at linebacker, check. Better at special teams, double check. OMG OMG WHAT ABOUT HIS PENALTY IN THE SUPERBOWL. We couldn't stop Rodgers all game long, we weren't going to stop him then. If people could understand that we lost because of our pass coverage we might get somewhere with this?

Merchant
03-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Give me a break, Rodgers was going to score on us regardless of the 15 extra yards Fox handed them. GET. OVER. IT.

Fox put our OWN offense 15 yards back on the final drive. 15 yards is huge if you're talking about putting together a game winning drive with 2 mins left. He was also the reason the Bills game ever went to OT in the first place.

Psycho Ward 86
03-31-2011, 11:04 PM
Fox put our OWN offense 15 yards back on the final drive. 15 yards is huge if you're talking about putting together a game winning drive with 2 mins left. He was also the reason the Bills game ever went to OT in the first place.

Regardless, the concept is the same. The Packers were beating us offensively, defensively, and handing our asses to us in the turnover battle. There are so many reasons that are bigger than Fox that let the Packers have their way with us.

steelreserve
03-31-2011, 11:56 PM
Fox has been worth far more than we've paid him over the past three years. He's been solid as a backup and an animal on special teams, though I noticed him a little bit less this year. I don't know why the one penalty is the only thing people remember, but ultimately it was just a footnote to the game. Plus, I'd say Farrior has one more year left in him AT BEST, and we have to think about what we'll do once Harrison is gone too (e.g., the possibility that Timmons could be called upon at OLB again if Worilds isn't up to the task). Fox gives us a lot more flexibility and depth for cheap than any of the alternatives.

The Duke
04-01-2011, 12:41 AM
He's a much better linebacker than Foote.

Agree. I mean, if we actually had to choose between both I'd stick with fox, who's also younger. Foote's not even a good special teamer

Fox has been worth far more than we've paid him over the past three years.

heck yeah. And if people realize he's more than just a special teamer and he can actually play D he might not even consider our offer. But I for one hope he stays, but he does have to fix those mistakes at critical times

SteelGhost
04-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Fox has been worth far more than we've paid him over the past three years. He's been solid as a backup and an animal on special teams, though I noticed him a little bit less this year. I don't know why the one penalty is the only thing people remember, but ultimately it was just a footnote to the game. Plus, I'd say Farrior has one more year left in him AT BEST, and we have to think about what we'll do once Harrison is gone too (e.g., the possibility that Timmons could be called upon at OLB again if Worilds isn't up to the task). Fox gives us a lot more flexibility and depth for cheap than any of the alternatives.

Nice post SR :thumbsup: