PDA

View Full Version : Nnamdi Asomugha: The Missing Piece of the Steel Curtain?

polamalubeast
03-30-2011, 09:36 AM
After Aaron Rodgers carved up the Steelers secondary for 304 yards and three touchdowns in Super Bowl XLV, a game in which every time the Pittsburgh got close they couldn’t stop Green Bay’s third down passing, it got the Steeler Nation talking. Being a faithful lifelong member of that Nation, I believe it is time to make a couple changes in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers secondary, outside of Troy Polamalu, is not overly talented. Their best cover corner, Ike Taylor, has never recorded more than three interceptions in a season and only has eleven in an eight year career. While he is speedy and solid in one on one coverage, his lack of playmaking and tendency to be penalized leave him out when talking about the league’s premier corners. At the other corner, both Bryant McFadden and William Gay were targeted all Super Bowl long, with Gay giving up two long scoring passes. With the lack of consistency on one side (Taylor), and lack of solid play on the other (McFadden and Gay), the time has come for the Black and Yellow to seriously consider an upgrade at corner to compliment safeties Troy Polamalu and his partner in crime, the hard-hitting Ryan Clark.

read more

http://sports-kings.com/?p=74

fansince'76
03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
The REAL story of the Super Bowl? 3 Steelers turnovers turned into 21 Packers points. Period. Bottom line.

HometownGal
03-30-2011, 09:59 AM
That's all fine and dandy - I'm sure Asomugha would be a tremendous asset to the Steelers secondary, but I just don't see the Rooneys forking up the kind of cash he's going to demand. Our secondary defintely needs a bit of a face lift, but the Steelers will do what they always do and attempt to fix it with their "stable" and the draft.

vasteeler
03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
The REAL story of the Super Bowl? 3 Steelers turnovers turned into 21 Packers points. Period. Bottom line.

agreed, and with all those turnovers converted into touchdowns we still only lost by six

pepsyman1
03-30-2011, 10:31 AM
He's right about one thing, the pass defense is ineffective when Troy isn't on the field. Somehow, we need to make the unit as a whole stronger.

The Duke
03-30-2011, 10:44 AM

Exactly

Aso would be great, but just not gonna happen. Just not the way the rooneys do business. A new CB will probably be drafted early or someone (butler, lewis?) will step up. But the missing piece won't ever cost us what Nmandi is looking for

SteelerEmpire
03-30-2011, 10:56 AM

Yep. "Especially" when the other side turns it over '0' times. But if we got Nnamdi, WITH the new coach Lake, OOOHHH WEEE !

polamalubeast
03-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Tunorvers were the history of the game, but the elite QB the Steelers have faced in 2010(Brees,Brady and Rodgers) have all had good games.

Drew Brees:34/44(20/22 on 2nd half)305 yards 2 TD's and 1 interception(but the saints scored only 20 points,but 17 on 2nd half)

Tom Brady:30/45,350 yards,3 TD's(and one rushing touchdown)and 0 interception(the pats scored 39 points)

Aaron Rodgers:24/39,304 yards,3 TD's and 0 interception(the packers scored 31 points)

The Steelers had 22 interceptions in 19 games, including playoffs, but only one against Brees, Rodgers or Brady.The Steelers have allowed only 18 touchdown pass in 19 games, but 8 of his touchdown passes against it Brady, Brees and Rodgers.In the regular season, the Steelers have given only 14.5 points to his opponents, but they allowed 90 points in 3 games against the Saints, Patriots and Packers.

I would like next year that the Steelers are better against the elite QB's and cb is the Steelers' biggest weaknesses of this team.

I'd be so happy if the Steelers would seek Nnamdi Asomugha, but I do not think its going to happen.But I hope Nnamdi Asomugha will not with pats, ravens or jets.:pray::pray::pray::pray:

XxKnightxX
03-30-2011, 08:30 PM

Yeah but one was a Pick 6 while the others were Drives, including that late one by Rodgers, which were HUGE, in which our secondary was being toched, especially in 3rd down. Yes the offense is to blame, but The Defense needs to cover and stop third down passing. Lets not forget that although we lost only by 6, we also avoided getting blown out of the stadium.

Mtn.Steel
03-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Okay, when I win the powerball next week, I will pay him to play for the B&G! Look, we all get that he would be huge for us, but these threads are like masturbating to a supermodel thinking she JUST might marry you cause you are a REALLY good guy. I beg of you, please stop the NA could play for the Steelers if.....hell freezes over!!!

86WARD
03-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Wasn't just the offensive turnovers. The back end of the D was horrendous...awful. They gave up those 21 points...lol.

86WARD
03-31-2011, 07:36 PM
As for Asomugha...yes please. Time to hit the Bank of Roethlisberger...

steelreserve
03-31-2011, 11:48 PM
Exactly

Aso would be great, but just not gonna happen. Just not the way the rooneys do business. A new CB will probably be drafted early or someone (butler, lewis?) will step up. But the missing piece won't ever cost us what Nmandi is looking for

Thing is, nobody knows what Nnamdi is looking for. The $15M contract was only because he didn't want to play for the Raiders. But as I recall, he was asking for nothing near that on the open market and probably would've signed for more like $7-$8M. Sad thing is, since he did get $15M once, some numbskull owner will pay him close to it again. And this is why we have a lockout.

HometownGal
04-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Okay, when I win the powerball next week, I will pay him to play for the B&G! Look, we all get that he would be huge for us, but these threads are like masturbating to a supermodel thinking she JUST might marry you cause you are a REALLY good guy. I beg of you, please stop the NA could play for the Steelers if.....hell freezes over!!!

:applaudit: AMEN! :applaudit:

fansince'76
04-01-2011, 10:24 AM
The back end of the D was horrendous...awful. They gave up those 21 points...lol.

No, one of them was a pick-6 (7). Subtract that from the final score and we win by a point. Be that as it may, our Achilles' heel on D by far is our secondary, especially with a gimpy Troy. But I still think getting Aso is a pipe dream.

NJarhead
04-01-2011, 10:33 AM
I would LOVE to have Nnamdi in our secondary. No argument he would elevate our defense even further.

But, aside from him being such a die hard Steelers fan who's goal in life is to wear the B&G with money not being an object, this is a pipe dream. And like FS76 said, 3 turnovers led to 21 points and we lost by 6. Yea, our secondary struggles at times, but they aren't why we lost.

Devilsdancefloor
04-01-2011, 11:21 AM
He's right about one thing, the pass defense is ineffective when Troy isn't on the field. Somehow, we need to make the unit as a whole stronger.

i really think coach dad needs to trust the other guys on the field. Sometimes we just go into this shell of ourselves on defense RELEASE THE DOGS OF WAR! when that happens we seem to dominate and take control of the game, but i am not on the field so i am just monday morning QBing here. we lost the big game because they made plays when they needed on O and D and we didnt.