PDA

View Full Version : Steelers TE Heath Miller remains underrated

zulater
03-30-2011, 05:50 AM
By James Walker

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger often calls teammate Heath Miller the best tight end in football. But according to ESPN.com's positional Power Rankings, Miller is not even in the top 12 at his position.

Miller came in at No. 13 in this week's ranking of the NFL's best tight ends. ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton and I were the only two voters who had Miller on their ballots. Clayton voted Miller ninth and I ranked Miller seventh.

This confirms what most of us in the AFC North blog already suspected: Miller remains one of the league's most underrated players. Injuries hurt his numbers in 2010 (42 receptions for 512 yards). But Miller was recently an AFC representative in the Pro Bowl two seasons ago with 76 receptions for 789 yards and six touchdowns.

Miller is not flashy and will never catch 100 passes per season playing in Pittsburgh's offense. But in my opinion, Miller is one of the NFL's most complete tight ends and worthy of being on this list.

Miller makes the most of his limited opportunities. He's sure-handed and great at running downhill after the catch. He's also a phenomenal run- and pass-blocker, and essentially serves as Pittsburgh's third offensive tackle.

The Steelers know how important Miller is to their offense. His contributions cannot be measured strictly by numbers because Miller adds much more with his toughness, blocking ability and being a safety valve over the middle for Roethlisberger.

Miller may not be tops at his position. But I would not select 12 tight ends for my team before taking Miller.

zulater
03-30-2011, 05:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank?versionId=2&listId=805

Heath didn't even make the list?! :frusty:

HometownGal
03-30-2011, 07:45 AM
I've always believed that Heath is grossly underrated but that's snappy dappy with me - let him continue to do what he does best flying under the radar. I think this statement sums it up best:

Miller is not flashy and will never catch 100 passes per season playing in Pittsburgh's offense. But in my opinion, Miller is one of the NFL's most complete tight ends

salamander
03-30-2011, 08:38 AM
He blocks and catches passes as well as the best TE's in the NFL. Good enough for me. :thumbsup:

The Duke
03-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Other than that fumble against the saints (:yuck2:) miller has been one of the most reliable in the passing game, and I think his blocking speaks for itself

One we have an oline that doesn't need him that much we may him display what he can do with the ball in his hands- like in 09

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-30-2011, 10:37 AM
For those fans who often say "the NFL is a passing league" this list should come as no surprise. Heck, for pass catching ability I would probably also put John Carlson and Greg Olsen ahead of Miller too.

Miller probably does and should rank around 15th in the NFL as a pass receiving option, but probably top 3 as a blocker. Face it Steeler fans...these aint your daddys Steelers. There is no Cowherball being played in the NFL, so expecting a TE like Miller to be valued for his blocking skills is like expecting the Steelers to put a FB on the roster.

fansince'76
03-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Once we have an oline that doesn't need him that much we may him display what he can do with the ball in his hands- like in 09

Exactly.

tube517
03-30-2011, 11:03 AM
BSPN, enough said.

zulater
03-30-2011, 12:40 PM
For those fans who often say "the NFL is a passing league" this list should come as no surprise. Heck, for pass catching ability I would probably also put John Carlson and Greg Olsen ahead of Miller too.

Miller probably does and should rank around 15th in the NFL as a pass receiving option, but probably top 3 as a blocker. Face it Steeler fans...these aint your daddys Steelers. There is no Cowherball being played in the NFL, so expecting a TE like Miller to be valued for his blocking skills is like expecting the Steelers to put a FB on the roster.

Top 3? Who's better, let me rephrase that, outside of a couple specialty tight end's who don't have 5 balls thrown their way in a year which starting tight end is a better blocker than Heath? I watch a lot of games, and while I see other tight end's used to block, it's usually them being used to chip an edge rusher already being engaged by a lineman, or maybe clearing out a safety or corner on a sweep. Contrast that with Heath who is asked to man up block linebackers, and defensive ends with regularity, both in passing situations and running plays. Heath Miller blocks like a legitimate offensive tackle, there's not another tight end in the league who caught over 20 passes that can block like Heath.

Here's the way I look at it. If you put Heath Miller in the Colt's offense I don't think there would be much if any drop off between he and Dallas Clark's production as pass catchers. However if you put Dallas in the Steelers offense and asked him to pick up Terrel Suggs on a blitz, or to turn a defensive end to set the edge on a sweep he'd probably shit himself and/or have a heart attack before he broke the huddle.

Psycho Ward 86
03-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Always will be. That's cool with me, put him one on one against your piss-poor weakside linebacker and see what happens.

SteelGhost
03-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Top 3? Who's better, let me rephrase that, outside of a couple specialty tight end's who don't have 5 balls thrown their way in a year which starting tight end is a better blocker than Heath? I watch a lot of games, and while I see other tight end's used to block, it's usually them being used to chip an edge rusher already being engaged by a lineman, or maybe clearing out a safety or corner on a sweep. Contrast that with Heath who is asked to man up block linebackers, and defensive ends with regularity, both in passing situations and running plays. Heath Miller blocks like a legitimate offensive tackle, there's not another tight end in the league who caught over 20 passes that can block like Heath.

Here's the way I look at it. If you put Heath Miller in the Colt's offense I don't think there would be much if any drop off between he and Dallas Clark's production as pass catchers. However if you put Dallas in the Steelers offense and asked him to pick up Terrel Suggs on a blitz, or to turn a defensive end to set the edge on a sweep he'd probably shit himself and/or have a heart attack before he broke the huddle.

:rofl2: That's a good one Zu

Count Steeler
03-30-2011, 09:44 PM
He may be underrated, but I certainly appreciate his presence in our offense. He is a Steeler, through and through. Tough as nails and a team player. Can't ask for much more.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2011, 11:53 AM

I think that Miller, Mercedes Lewis, Kevin Boss, Jason Witten are all similarly skilled as run blockers. Maybe Anthony Fasano and Pettigrew are on the outside edge of that group.

As for pass catchers and route runners, Gates, Witten, Clark, Olsen, Gonzalez, Davis and a few others are better than Miller. As a combination of receiviing and blocking...probably Witten, Miller, Davis, Gonzalez, Lewis are the best.

The modern day NFL requires more receiving skill than blocking, so Miller gets slid down the list for being somewhat of a plodder as a route runner, with great hands and run blocking skill.

zulater
03-31-2011, 07:46 PM
I think that Miller, Mercedes Lewis, Kevin Boss, Jason Witten are all similarly skilled as run blockers. Maybe Anthony Fasano and Pettigrew are on the outside edge of that group.

As for pass catchers and route runners, Gates, Witten, Clark, Olsen, Gonzalez, Davis and a few others are better than Miller. As a combination of receiviing and blocking...probably Witten, Miller, Davis, Gonzalez, Lewis are the best.

The modern day NFL requires more receiving skill than blocking, so Miller gets slid down the list for being somewhat of a plodder as a route runner, with great hands and run blocking skill.

Tony Gonzalez as a blocker? Are you kidding me, Tony hasn't thrown a block in about 4 years. :chuckle:

And I think you really miss the big picture with Heath Miller. First off, remember that Miller missed all of 2 games last season, and most of a 3rd, had he played all 16 games, he almost certainly would have caught 50 plus passes for the year. Second, the Steelers offensive line was banged up right from the start of the season, both projected starting tackles missed most of the season. As a result Heath Miller stayed in to block in numerous passing situations, I'd venture to say the majority of them. And did so without complaint, even though his statistics surely suffered as a result.

Of the league's other duel threat tight end's that you've named, I'm not sure even one of them would have acted in such an unselfish manner as Heath did last year, or actually has done for all of his career.

Anyway, I'm with Ben when he says Heath is the best overall tight end in the league. And before you rush in with, "well what do you expect him to say?", I've never seen Ben claim that Mendenhall is the league's best running back, or that Hines Ward is the best receiver in the league. He said it about Heath because he meant it, and I think Ben knows what he's talking about here.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Here's an article where Bucky Brooks of NFL.com explains some of the different categories of TE's and their value in todays NFL. He seems to think that Gonzalez, Witten, Miller and Zach Miller fall into this category of guys that are good blockers that can also catch the football.

Conventional tight ends are three-down players who can excel as blockers or receivers. They can do the dirty work on the edges in the running game and display solid pass-protection skills... Heath Miller (http://www.nfl.com/players/heathmiller/profile?id=MIL243606), Witten, Gonzalez and Miller fall into the conventional tight end category in most offenses. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81132e02/article/as-tight-end-position-evolves-gonzalez-continues-to-excel

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Tony Gonzalez as a blocker? Are you kidding me, Tony hasn't thrown a block in about 4 years. :chuckle:

Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City Chiefs. Gonzalez is called upon to do more blocking in the latter stage of his career as the Chiefs' current offensive line is a shell of its former self. So while that curbs his statistics, he remains a consummate pro who can still change a game with his receiving skills when given the chance and is as good as most offensive tackles in taking on run-blocking assignments.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2008-07-17/ranking-top-20-nfl-tight-ends#ixzz1IHzs1rrU (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2008-07-17/ranking-top-20-nfl-tight-ends#ixzz1IHzs1rrU)

Goaline
04-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Top Tier TE is Heath Miller.

I put him among the ranks of Witten, Clark, Gonzalez, Gates, Finley...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Top Tier TE is Heath Miller.

I put him among the ranks of Witten, Clark, Gonzalez, Gates, Finley...

I think he and Witten are the best TE for the offenses like the Steelers, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles(before Howard Mudd) etc. that require a true TE that can block in the run game.

For the teams like the Colts, Broncos, Bears, Chargers, Saints, Seahawks, etc that run more of a spread or west coast based offense and like to use their TE's as a vertical threat. Faster TE's that are receivers primarily are a better fit. I have no problem with the list. Its just that the current NFL values the passing game SOOOOO much more than the run game.

zulater
04-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City Chiefs. Gonzalez is called upon to do more blocking in the latter stage of his career as the Chiefs' current offensive line is a shell of its former self. So while that curbs his statistics, he remains a consummate pro who can still change a game with his receiving skills when given the chance and is as good as most offensive tackles in taking on run-blocking assignments.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2008-07-17/ranking-top-20-nfl-tight-ends#ixzz1IHzs1rrU (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2008-07-17/ranking-top-20-nfl-tight-ends#ixzz1IHzs1rrU)

According to no less an authority than Tony himself, he doesn't do a helluval lot of blocking any more.

Psycho Ward 86
04-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Why are some people assuming some of the premier catching tight ends in the league can't block?

zulater
04-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Why are some people assuming some of the premier catching tight ends in the league can't block?

Because many don't, we watch the games and this is fairly obvious.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2011, 08:51 AM

Some are not great blockers IMO. (Like Dallas Clark, Chris Cooley, Greg Olsen, Kellen Winslow) I think other guys like Witten, Miller, Gonzalez, Lewis are very good blockers. Even guys like Vernon Davis and Antonio Gates have worked on their blocking and become good at it.

I just dont think being a great blocking TE is the prime skill that most NFL teams look for when drafting a player and its not valued in some of these rankings.

Goaline
04-04-2011, 10:55 AM
I rather have a blocking TE that can catch and has finess hands with Witten/Miller then a guy like Clark, Gates

The Duke
04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Some are not great blockers IMO. (Like Dallas Clark, Chris Cooley, Greg Olsen, Kellen Winslow)

No need to even mention that one :rofl:

I don't think I've ever seen winslow try to block someone

Dallas Clark became really interesting to me last season. With Tamme doing pretty much all he does I have to wonder how much of a product of Peyton is he?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2011, 01:45 PM
No need to even mention that one :rofl:

I don't think I've ever seen winslow try to block someone

Dallas Clark became really interesting to me last season. With Tamme doing pretty much all he does I have to wonder how much of a product of Peyton is he?

Manning makes every average receiver look great in that offense (Stokley, Garcon, Collie, Gonzales, White, etc) Clark is a talented receiver, but benefits from the scheme.

I still think that Dallas Clark is a guy that you look to cover with a DB, while Heath Miller is a guy that you can cover with an athletic LB. Each fits their own team better than the other.

steeldevil
04-04-2011, 02:59 PM
This just goes back to the notion of a "sexy" football player. Heath Miller is not a "sexy" tight end. He does not catch 80 plus balls for 800 plus yards and 8 touchdowns every year. ESPN knows that people like "sexy" TE's and so they put those TEs at the top of this list. Blocking is not a "sexy" skill for a TE, so to people who do not know the game of football well blocking for a TE is not important or "sexy."

It is that simple IMO.

But to us Steelers fans and others who really know the game, blocking for a TE is important and Heath Miller is a top TE.

There is no way in hell that Heath is not at least top 8 in the league in terms of overall best TE, blocking and catching.

steelerdude15
04-04-2011, 04:10 PM
One of the best TE's in the game...