PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 10 Year Draft Trends

LLT
03-29-2011, 09:46 AM
No one really knows who the Steelers will draft with the #31 pick in this years draft. Mainly that is due to the Steelers habit of drafting the "Best Player Available" when it is their turn to pick.

We can, however look at trends and tendancies. For instance, the Steelers Front Office, has shown a desire to trade their draft pick if the BPA that fell to us doesnt fit a need. So lets look at 10 draft day facts that show us what the Front office has had to work with these last ten years, and also show any trends in regards to what we may do this year.

1) The Steelers have had 79 total selections over the last 10 drafts. 44 of those total picks were offensive picks and 35 of them were on defense.

2) We have the #31 pick in the first round this year. Over a 10 year period we have averaged picking at the #22 slot in the first round.

3) Over the last decade, we have used six of our ten first round picks on offensive players with the remaining four selections going to the defensive side of the football.

4) Five of the our last ten first round picks (Hampton, Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Miller, Pouncey) have been named to at least one Pro Bowl.

5) Eight of our last ten first round picks are still on the roster

6) We have only drafted two offensive lineman within the first two rounds in that time period. Kendall Simmons, first round in 2002 and Maurkice Pouncey, first round in 2010.

7) Since 2001, We have drafted zero defensive ends within the top 100 picks.

8) Since 2001, 58.6% of our top picks in the first three rounds have been spent on three positions. Linebackers (6), Wide Receivers (6) and Defensive Backs (5).

9) Rashard Mendenhall, the first round pick in 2008 is the only running back in the last ten years that the Steelers have drafted prior to the fifth round.

10) The Steelers have selected at least one wide receiver in eight of the last ten drafts.

Well...there you go. Make of it what you will. I'm interested in your thoughts or opinions.

Prouncey53
03-29-2011, 11:07 AM
7) Since 2001, We have drafted zero defensive ends within the top 100 picks.

Isn't Ziggy Hood a defensive end?

vtw8lftr
03-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Isn't Ziggy Hood a defensive end?

That was my first thought as well... he's wasn't a DT was he?

Answered my own question... yes he was a DT out of college... did not know that.

LLT
03-29-2011, 12:14 PM
That was my first thought as well... he's wasn't a DT was he?

Answered my own question... yes he was a DT out of college... did not know that.

Yes he was....He is one of the reasons that I have been eyeing DT Jarvis Jenkins this year as a possible prospect that might play DE.

Steeldude
03-29-2011, 06:56 PM
woodley was a DE at michigan.

jason worilds was a DE at VT.

alonzo jackson was a DE at florida st.

just saying :)

LLT
03-30-2011, 08:41 AM
woodley was a DE at michigan.

jason worilds was a DE at VT.

alonzo jackson was a DE at florida st.

just saying :)

Your right....I am quilty of using circular logic. Not counting Hood because he played DT...and not counting the others because they were drafted to be OLB's.

How about...We have drafted zero defensive ends to play defensive end within the top 100 picks.

Chidi29
03-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Quality work LLT, as usual. How long did it take you to compile all this data? Looks like it took some time.