PDA

View Full Version : Guys we pimped - Where are they now

Aussie_steeler
05-30-2010, 05:43 AM
It's much too early to predict which undrafted rookie free agents have a chance to make the Cowboys roster. But one who caught the eye of the coaching staff in the rookie mini-camp and held his own in OTAs is Barry Church.

The safety was voted first team All Mid-American Conference in each of his four years at Toledo. He was also a force on special teams, blocking three kicks his senior season.

Assistant coaches Dave Campo and Brett Maxie liked what they saw. When the Cowboys didn't draft Church, he became one of their priority free agents. The club actually called Church at the end of the fifth round to let him know if they didn't draft him, they still wanted him in camp.

"I thought initially that he was a box safety, that's all he could do,'' Campo said. "But the guy moves better than I thought he did, to be honest with you.

"I don't know what he'll do, but I know he moves better than I thought. Plus, he seems pretty smart.''

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/05/holy-toledo-cowboys-like-safet.html

Another one of LLT's guys who seems to have started life as a UDFA with all guns blazing.
I think the cowboys may have landed a good UDFA in Barry Church.

Keep an eye out for reports on other guys that you pimped in the lead up to this years draft

LLT
05-30-2010, 02:52 PM
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/05/holy-toledo-cowboys-like-safet.html

Another one of LLT's guys who seems to have started life as a UDFA with all guns blazing.
I think the cowboys may have landed a good UDFA in Barry Church.

Keep an eye out for reports on other guys that you pimped in the lead up to this years draft

Man...I wanted Church in a bad way. They fact that he was a hybrid safety/LBer made some people a little scared to draft him.

Aussie_steeler
05-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Welcome to the jungle - brother.

Great to see you.

I was intrigued to see that they are impressed by his ability to also drop back into coverage. Not just an in the box safety.

Devilsdancefloor
05-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah is also a cowboy i think with he will be a good safety for the cryboys

MasterOfPuppets
05-31-2010, 02:12 AM
anthony dixon rb - san fran 6th
jamar chaney ilb - philly 7th
colin peek TE - atlanta undrafted

LLT
05-31-2010, 03:41 AM
Giants Officially Sign Kentucky LB Micah Johnson
by GridironFans.com Correspondent Written on May 08, 2010 University of Kentucky linebacker Micah Johnson has signed a National Football League free-agent contract with the New York Giants. Johnson earned second-team All-Southeastern Conference honors as a senior when he led the team with 105 tackles, including 6.5 tackles for loss, and two pass breakups. He had a career-high 16 tackles vs. Tennessee and was SEC Defensive Player of the Week when he had 14 stops in UK's upset win at Auburn. Johnson showed his toughness by playing much of his senior season with a sprained knee, which he re-sprained in his final collegiate game in the Music City Bowl. Johnson was first-team All-SEC as a junior, when he notched 93 tackles, despite missing two and one-half games because of injury.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/389674-giants-giants-officially-sign-kentucky-lb-micah-johnson'

Johnson will be starting in New York before everything is said and done.

43Hitman
05-31-2010, 09:22 AM
Giants Officially Sign Kentucky LB Micah Johnson
by GridironFans.com Correspondent Written on May 08, 2010 University of Kentucky linebacker Micah Johnson has signed a National Football League free-agent contract with the New York Giants. Johnson earned second-team All-Southeastern Conference honors as a senior when he led the team with 105 tackles, including 6.5 tackles for loss, and two pass breakups. He had a career-high 16 tackles vs. Tennessee and was SEC Defensive Player of the Week when he had 14 stops in UK's upset win at Auburn. Johnson showed his toughness by playing much of his senior season with a sprained knee, which he re-sprained in his final collegiate game in the Music City Bowl. Johnson was first-team All-SEC as a junior, when he notched 93 tackles, despite missing two and one-half games because of injury.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/389674-giants-giants-officially-sign-kentucky-lb-micah-johnson'

Johnson will be starting in New York before everything is said and done.

I agree. That kid can flat out play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-31-2010, 10:04 AM
I was pimpin Matt Tennant C- Saints, who joins another guy I pimped back in the day in Carl Nicks. Good O line crop there.

LLT
05-31-2010, 10:16 AM
I was pimpin Matt Tennant C- Saints, who joins another guy I pimped back in the day in Carl Nicks. Good O line crop there.

Tennant is going to be a player.

Did you see where my guy J.D. Walton is running with the 1st team there at Denver? Looks like they are shifting away from a strict zone blocking scheme.

J.D. Walton at first-team center
By Mike Klis

Share A week ago, when the media was permitted to view an offseason practice, Dustin Fry was the Broncos’ first-string center with rookie J.D. Walton mixing in.

Walton, a rookie who was selected in the third round out of Baylor, was the first-string center Monday with Fry working the second team.

Whether Walton sticks with the first team could be partially determined by how veteran Russ Hochstein heals from left knee surgery.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/05/24/j-d-walton-at-first-team-center/

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Tennant is going to be a player.

Did you see where my guy J.D. Walton is running with the 1st team there at Denver? Looks like they are shifting away from a strict zone blocking scheme.

Yeah, the Broncos were switching out of a zone block system last year when McDaniels arrived, but still zoned a lot. Now I think he is gonna go more conventional like they did in NE. On the other side of things, Ben Hamilton is now in Seattle where they hired Alex Gibbs to install a zone block system.

I still wasnt sold on using a #18 pick on a C , when guys like Walton and Tennant were gonna be there in a round or 2 anyways.........but its spilled milk now.

LLT
05-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah, the Broncos were switching out of a zone block system last year when McDaniels arrived, but still zoned a lot. Now I think he is gonna go more conventional like they did in NE. On the other side of things, Ben Hamilton is now in Seattle where they hired Alex Gibbs to install a zone block system.

I still wasnt sold on using a #18 pick on a C , when guys like Walton and Tennant were gonna be there in a round or 2 anyways.........but its spilled milk now.

I had thought the same thing...but in retrospect, had they did things the way that I had thought they should...I dont think the team would be as "deep" as they are right now.

I wanted a CB....but I still wonder if they McFadden deal wasnt already discussed before the draft and knocked the position down on our list of needs.

xX-TSK-Xx
05-31-2010, 11:44 AM
My biggest pimp, not a sleeper, was Sean Weatherspoon. Pretty sure most know he ended up in Atlanta.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I had thought the same thing...but in retrospect, had they did things the way that I had thought they should...I dont think the team would be as "deep" as they are right now.

I wanted a CB....but I still wonder if they McFadden deal wasnt already discussed before the draft and knocked the position down on our list of needs.
Oh, I think the McFadden deal was done...but I think the value on the O line was at Bulaga over Pouncey. Bulaga can probably play LT, or at worst be a pro bowl RT, but you are right in that we would not have gotten a future center if they had taken Bulaga.

Aussie_steeler
05-31-2010, 03:35 PM
I read one of the interviews on steelers.com a while back and I am sure that the Cardinals had contacted the steelers prior to the draft about McFadden.

I tend to think that if the Cards hadnt made that call the steelers would have been looking squarely at only 2 players in the first round. Pouncey and Kareem Jackson.

The Duke
05-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Nate Byham and Dennis Pitta

Two amazingly talented tight ends. And such great value in rounds 6 and 4

Wish we could have gotten one of them to replace spaeth

suitanim
06-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Freddie Barnes with the Chicago Bears. The early reports are that although he has struggled, the pundits already think he's one of the FA's who have a chance to make the cut.