PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo's maturation a reason for Cowboys' growing optimism

polamalubeast
06-15-2010, 04:50 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/061310dnspomoore.1a96bbd.html

Tony Romo's maturation a reason for Cowboys' growing optimism

09:10 PM CDT on Sunday, June 13, 2010

Column by DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News | dmoore@dallasnews.com

David Moore
Archive | E-mail
IRVING - Tony Romo se moque des journalistes au sujet d'un changement qu'il a fait dans son jeu, une amélioration si subtiles qu'il est difficile pour un œil non exercé à l'avis.

As everyone knows, there is no shortage of untrained eyes among the media.

"It's really pretty cool," Romo said, promising specifics at a later date. "You'll see."

The fact this mysterious, minor adjustment captures our interest illustrates just how much Romo has matured as a quarterback.

Think back to this time last year. Critics wondered if Romo took the game seriously enough, if he really understood the impact of his words and attitude. He was a quarterback who took chances when he should play it smart and turned the ball over way too often.

Every philosophical and personnel move was made to shape a more Romo-friendly offense.

The broader questions about Romo's demeanor and focus are no longer asked. He has made dramatic improvement in the area the Cowboys like to call ball security without sacrificing the big-play ability that makes him special.

The talk as this minicamp ends is not what the Cowboys can do for Romo.

The buzz is how Romo makes those around him better. He's a more assertive and confident quarterback.

He's grown into the position.

"C'est peut-être l'une des choses que nous voyons qui est venu avec ses années dans la NFL,« propriétaire Jerry Jones a dit. "Il a une meilleure idée de ce qu'il veut faire et comment il veut le faire.

"Everybody in this organization is confident in his judgment. His willingness to inject himself into what he's doing and how he's doing it is a big deal. You're seeing considerably more of that now than you were three years ago or two years ago.

"I think it's really going to impact our ability to execute offensively."

points de Jones à la Romo rapport a été en mesure de développer avec Miles Austin saison dernière. Il parle de l'impact du quart-arrière peut avoir sur les étapes de formation de la carrière de Dez Bryant. Ou, comme le dit Jones, comment peut Romo "coude brindille la façon dont il le veut" avec le récepteur recrue.

"Je pense vraiment qu'il ne reçoit pas beaucoup de crédit à partir de ce point de vue,« l'ailier rapproché Jason Witten a dit. "Je pense qu'il nous rend tous beaucoup mieux, en ligne inclus. Parfois, sa capacité à faire des défenseurs manquez est spécial.

"That's one of the greatest assets you can ever say about a quarterback, how he creates so much for so many other people outside of his yards and touchdowns. He puts us all in better positions with throws, with alignments. I think that's a special trait he's come a long way in understanding."

Lorsque Wade Phillips montres pratique ces jours-ci, il voit un quart qui garde toujours les deux mains sur le ballon quand on se déplace dans la poche. Il est devenu instinctif. L'entraîneur-chef ne "voit le manque de rigueur» avec la balle qui a sévi Romo tôt dans sa carrière.

"He does a great job of moving around and throwing the ball," Phillips said. "He seems to get better and better at that, even in the pocket. When he gets out of the pocket, he's really dangerous.

"He can go back and set up and throw it as good as anybody. He moves around well and finds people well. But now he's moving around and putting it right on the money. That's a good sign."

Of the nine interceptions Romo threw in 2009, only five came in the final three months of the regular season. He opened up his stance a bit to improve his throws to the left sidelines and had success there.

This off-season is about refining what has already been put in place.

"Il ne fait pas de changements majeurs à sa livraison ou son jeu de jambes», entraîneur des quarts Wade Wilson. "Il est juste essayer de s'améliorer.

"He's throwing the ball great. We keep pushing the chemistry between him and Roy [Williams] and making the proper decisions, making good decisions. We want him to still stay aggressive but not force the ball. That's a fine line with him sometimes.

"We want him to stay that gunslinger, but only when it's the proper time."

Romo has come a long way from where he was just 12 months ago.

As for that subtle change Romo won't talk about, it has to do with his footwork in certain situations.

You'll see.

ALLD
06-15-2010, 04:52 PM
I think I'm going to puke. Why do I think Jerry Jones is trying to sell me some snake oil or swamp land in Florida?

BuddhaBus
06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
I think I'm going to puke. Why do I think Jerry Jones is trying to sell me some snake oil or swamp land in Florida?

JJ does remind me of a greasy-turd, used car salesman. Romo is soft and a proven choke artist.:coffee:Don't we hear every year before the season starts that this is Romo and the Cryboys year? :blah: :yawn:

salamander
06-15-2010, 05:40 PM
JJ does remind me of a greasy-turd, used car salesman. Romo is soft and a proven choke artist.:coffee:Don't we hear every year before the season starts that this is Romo and the Cryboys year? :blah: :yawn:

Of course... it's always going to be the "Chargers vs. Cowboys" in the Super Bowl. Of course we can't forget about Tom Brady (who is of course gay) and the Patriots* (which of course suck).

ALLD
06-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Troy Aikman was on Sirius' NFL Network today talking about a company he was associated with and their contribution to cleaning up the Gulf oil spill. Naturally the interview got around to football and he picked the Giants to win the division this season!

BuddhaBus
06-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Troy Aikman was on Sirius' NFL Network today talking about a company he was associated with and their contribution to cleaning up the Gulf oil spill. Naturally the interview got around to football and he picked the Giants to win the division this season!

Ooops! Looks like Aikman stepped in a big, steaming, stinky pile of Browns there. Cowboy fans and Uncle Jerry will be all butt-hurt about this! Aikman has taken too many blows to the head. Doesn't he know who the Giants QB is?

oneforthetoe
06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Why would Tony Romo's ma*turb*tion give the Cowboy optimism? :jerkit::noidea:Let me read that again. It must be my French..........ohh, that makes much more sense ... wait no it doesn't.:dizzy:

fansince'76
06-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Same old offseason Cowboys/Romo (over)hype. :blah: :blah: :blah:

Hindes204
06-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Why would Tony Romo's ma*turb*tion give the Cowboy optimism? :jerkit::noidea:Let me read that again. It must be my French..........ohh, that makes much more sense ... wait no it doesn't.:dizzy:

Haha, that's hilarious....I did a double take when I first read it too

Kaeg
06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
After how many years, now all of a sudden there's a tangible maturation in the off season?

polamalubeast
06-16-2010, 04:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/columns/story?columnist=macmahon_tim&id=5292361

Opportunity knocks for hyped CowboysHaving cleared one hurdle, expectations are at a Super level. Can they handle it?

IRVING, Texas -- Jerry Jones wouldn't even say the words "Super Bowl" last offseason.

He was stunned by the epic failure of his Cowboys to live up to contender billing in 2008, when they fell apart during a drama-filled December and didn't even qualify for the playoffs. Jones didn't want to add any pressure by pumping up expectations again.

Well, that's no longer a worry for Jerry. Not with the Cowboys coming off their first playoff win in 13 seasons and the Super Bowl coming to his $1.2 billion house.

"He lets us know where it is every time he talks to us," All-Pro outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. "Every single time."

AP Photo/Matt Slocum
Jerry Jones is daring to dream the Cowboys could be the first team to play in a Super Bowl on their home field. "You could dream that something could happen that's never happened before. That's worth dreaming on."
The hype has returned to Valley Ranch. The expectations are high again, internally and externally.

Can these Cowboys handle it?

"If we continue to have the mindset that nothing's going to be given and you've got to earn everything you get in this game, we'll be fine," said inside linebacker Keith Brooking, a much-needed locker room voice of reason who arrived before last season.

The Cowboys' core matured during the wild roller coaster ride of the last few seasons. Tony Romo has grown comfortable in the leadership role that goes with the title of franchise quarterback, a development aided by the release last year of a certain controversial receiver.

We can still debate how much blame should be assigned to Terrell Owens for the crumbling of the Cowboys two seasons ago. Several prominent Cowboys still consider T.O. a great teammate, but he was a polarizing figure whose presence eventually fractured the locker room.

That's no longer a problem, and neither was replacing T.O.'s production. Mild-mannered Miles Austin gives Romo a friendly, controversy-free go-to guy with gamebreaking ability.

We got one playoff win. Wow, what does that mean? It doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but I think we took a step in the right direction. I think we can build on that this year.

-- Cowboys linebacker Keith Brooking

But there's still a receiver at Valley Ranch who generates headlines with his harsh words. However, Patrick Crayton's problems are with the front office, not any teammates. He doesn't have a T.O.-like influence anyway.

If one of the biggest concerns is a bitter fourth receiver whose roster spot is in jeopardy, that's probably a sign the team is in pretty good shape from a chemistry standpoint.

Unlike the recent past, it doesn't seem as if a sense of entitlement has crept into the Cowboys. There is a sense of confidence that comes after slaying the December demons and ending the playoff win drought. But the terrible trip to Minnesota, where the Cowboys' season ended with a 34-3 loss, serves as a reminder that there is much work to be done.

"I think we grew as a team going up there," Brooking said. "We were humbled. We played horrible, our worst game of the year probably. I think we can learn from that.

"We got one playoff win. Wow, what does that mean? It doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but I think we took a step in the right direction. I think we can build on that this year."

The owner is banking on it.

The 67-year-old Jones' eyes light up like a little kid's at an amusement park when discussing the possibility of the Cowboys becoming the first team to have home-field advantage for a Super Bowl.

More on the Cowboys
Calvin Watkins and Tim MacMahon have the Cowboys blanketed for ESPNDallas.com. Check in with their constantly updated coverage. Blog

He said he hopes the players use that possibility as motivation. He wants the Cowboys to envision being the best and follow up on it, a message five-time Super Bowl champion Charles Haley delivered to the Cowboys after a recent workout.

"I can really come in here and imagine and make believe and picture this thing and how it's going to be full with all the excitement of a Super Bowl," Jones said during Saturday's minicamp practice at Cowboys Stadium. "You could dream that something could happen that's never happened before. That's worth dreaming on."

The Cowboys acted like fools a couple of seasons ago. Opportunity knocks again, and it's hard to believe they won't have a much better answer this time around.

vasteeler
06-16-2010, 04:26 PM
:puke:

polamalubeast
10-17-2010, 06:25 PM
:ranger::ranger::ranger::ranger::ranger:

Butch
10-17-2010, 06:31 PM
LOL Classic simply Classic!!!

steeldevil
10-17-2010, 06:31 PM
HAHA!!!

tube517
10-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Optimism for a 7-9 record.

Cryboys SUCK!

fansince'76
10-17-2010, 06:33 PM
The 67-year-old Jones' eyes light up like a little kid's at an amusement park when discussing the possibility of the Cowboys becoming the first team to have home-field advantage for a Super Bowl.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_i0VMo_pn52Q/S4GP36x1PkI/AAAAAAAAADM/gowi90pxCzo/s320/nelson-simpsons.jpg

stlrtruck
10-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Roethlisberger has had more maturation in 1 month, then Romo has had in the last year.

Lambert_Loonie
10-18-2010, 04:35 AM
If Tony Romo didn't play for Dallas, we'd have no idea who he was. He's just another product of the Dallas hype machine.

O'Malley
10-18-2010, 12:57 PM
He is a wimp. Every time he gets hit he looks at the refs with those puppy dog eyes and almost cries. Where is the flag I got hit. Tony it would help if when you get pressured you keep your eyes open. That is how you stop Tony Romo, pressure up the gut. You get in his face and he is as ineffective as birth control accompanied by antibiotics. His other downfall is the lack of smarts. He is as dumb as a brick. But they are the most talented team in the league so watch out. What a joke.

oneforthetoe
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
He should have stuck to ma*turba*ion. How could he screw that up?

Edman
10-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Tony Romo is the Willie Parker of NFL Quarterbacks.

Came out of nowhere, has a decent career in the league, then fades into obscurity. Only difference here is that Romo has that Jerry Jones hype machine backing him up. He's an above average QB and nothing more.

beSteelmyheart
10-18-2010, 05:25 PM
"Romo has come a long way from where he was just 12 months ago."
:lol: By being an even bigger loser!! :lol:

oneforthetoe
10-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Tony Romo is the Willie Parker of NFL Quarterbacks.

Came out of nowhere, has a decent career in the league, then fades into obscurity. Only difference here is that Romo has that Jerry Jones hype machine backing him up. He's an above average QB and nothing more.

Except Willie Parker made arguably the biggest play in a Superbowl to help his team to victory. If that had been Romo he would have dropped the ball on the ten yard line before he made it to the end zone.

tube517
10-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Romo would've stopped at the 10 and given the ball to a Seasquawk.

Except Willie Parker made arguably the biggest play in a Superbowl to help his team to victory. If that had been Romo he would have dropped the ball on the ten yard line before he made it to the end zone.

oneforthetoe
10-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Romo would've stopped at the 10 and given the ball to a Seasquawk.

Or would have stopped on the five to celebrate the impending TD with one of his idiot receivers.

Godfather
10-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Best. Threadbump. Evar.