PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to Workout 2 CBs

SteelerEmpire
03-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Buster Skrine and Curtis Brown

Skrine: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ravens-work-out-cornerback-Buster-Skrine-today.html

Brown: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Texas-CB-Curtis-Brown-in-demand.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2jksB_vrsM

Curtis Brown - he can jump...
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02WSciugW65Zs/220x.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUr4wswq9us&feature=related

Psycho Ward 86
03-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Good. I think it's realistic to say that there's going to be a run on cornerbacks by the time we pick in the 1st round. Probably better to get a good O-lineman.

Chidi29
03-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Skrine had a really good Combine after a strong showing at the NFLPA game. I remember Wes Bunting say that he was the only corner in that game he came away impressed with.

I've really been warming up to Brown.

stillers4me
03-26-2011, 08:19 PM
We will walk away with the best player on the board when we are on the clock. It's what we always do.

I pray to God it's a CB.

LLT
03-26-2011, 10:04 PM
I have no interest in Buster Skrine at all. Only 5'9 and very limited production all four years. I understand that he measures well as far as strength and speed but he may be a classic case of the "Look like Tarzen..play like Jane" type of player.

steelreserve
03-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Good. I think it's realistic to say that there's going to be a run on cornerbacks by the time we pick in the 1st round. Probably better to get a good O-lineman.

Agree, except D-Lineman. Taking another offensive lineman in the first round is something I would NOT be a fan of. Besides the fact that we did last year,we have two injured starters coming back and my sense is that we think we're set for the immediate future. A certain proportion of fans always ask for an offensive lineman in the first round EVERY year, but I just don't see that happening unless the picks really fall out oddly, because it's about our third or fourth position of need.

Steeldude
03-27-2011, 01:32 AM
not that it's a big deal, but brown at 185 could only rep 225 10 times. he is light and it doesn't sound like he spent much time in the gym getting bigger and/or stronger. as the video suggests, he could have a trouble with bigger WRs.

on paper skrine looks to be the better CB.

i don't think any good CBs will be worth taking in the 1st round. i don't want the steelers to reach for a sub-par CB like brandon harris in the 1st. go DL or OL instead

Steeldude
03-27-2011, 01:33 AM

i agree. if no O-line is available then DL

Galax Steeler
03-27-2011, 06:52 AM
I agree with Steeldude I don't think we need to reach for a corner. If there is a good one there then take him but lets don't get stupid with this.

Texasteel
03-27-2011, 08:19 AM
not that it's a big deal, but brown at 185 could only rep 225 10 times. he is light and it doesn't sound like he spent much time in the gym getting bigger and/or stronger. as the video suggests, he could have a trouble with bigger WRs.

on paper skrine looks to be the better CB.

i don't think any good CBs will be worth taking in the 1st round. i don't want the steelers to reach for a sub-par CB like brandon harris in the 1st. go DL or OL instead

Brown is a very good tackler and may be stronger than you think. He also has great closing speed and even when he looks like he is being beating the QB often finds that he is not. The young man can sky as well. I have no worries that he can not handle the larger WRs.

Skrine, is a little short for my taste as well, this is also my only knock against Harris.

Psycho Ward 86
03-27-2011, 11:30 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Skrine! Kid has a remarkable number of intelligence/high effort plays. Very very very high effort plays.

7willBheaven
03-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Agree, except D-Lineman. Taking another offensive lineman in the first round is something I would NOT be a fan of. Besides the fact that we did last year,we have two injured starters coming back and my sense is that we think we're set for the immediate future. A certain proportion of fans always ask for an offensive lineman in the first round EVERY year, but I just don't see that happening unless the picks really fall out oddly, because it's about our third or fourth position of need.

No offense, but I'm glad you're not running this team. OL is one of the top needs of the team (followed by CB)...one more solid piece to the puzzle and i think they'd be set. And yes fans have been asking for a solid (1st/2nd round) OL for years...because of how crappy the line has been. The team didnt draft a solid OL early since Faneca (they did take K. Simmons in the 1st...but he was no Faneca/Pouncey/etc), until last year. When the team drafts these mid to late rounders that either take years to become anything, or get released because they cant cut it what do you expect? Essex was a 3rd rounder his 5th yr in the league he started every game, but then this last yr he got demoted by an UDFA in Foster. Kemo a 6th rounder took until his 4th year to start every game, and he really isnt worth what he's being paid (i dont hate him or anything). The only 2 other starters taken in the 4th round (Starks, Colon), in the 2nd yr they started...but both are coming off serious injuries and we dont know how they are going to go...and we dont even know if Colon will be back for sure. Flozell was a high 2nd rounder, but he's nearing the end and maybe only have a year or so left in him. Then you got the backups Hills and J. Scott...2 4th rounders the only reason Scott saw playing time was due to injury and Hills has never been close to breaking the starting lineup. C. Scott is unproven because he didnt play at all last year, so who knows what we have there with this 5th round pick. The rest are pretty much UDFA's (Legursky is the best of that bunch by far). Urbik they cut for whatever reason and he was a 3rd rounder. If they can get one more solid stud OL and Colon/Starks come back fine then i think they will be set for a good while.

polamalubeast
03-27-2011, 07:58 PM
We really need the CB's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBJZscXRcbE&feature=related

Psycho Ward 86
03-27-2011, 08:04 PM
We really need the CB's!

Oh my god, whoever made that video really had to rub it in haha.

SteelerEmpire
03-27-2011, 08:37 PM
We really need the CB's!

Yep. Yet another let down without Troy back there... we paid em back "big time" in 2010 though...

Steeldude
03-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Yep. Yet another let down without Troy back there... we paid em back "big time" in 2010 though...

i would blame lebeau for that mess. he admitted he played a passive defense when polamalu went down. if the CBs are told to give 10 yard cushions and let everything go in front of them then they have no choice.

polamalubeast
03-28-2011, 02:04 PM
i would blame lebeau for that mess. he admitted he played a passive defense when polamalu went down. if the CBs are told to give 10 yard cushions and let everything go in front of them then they have no choice.

Against the Raiders in 2009, players are responsible for this horrible game.

Watch the video, it's the most embarrassing performance out I saw the steelers defense of my life ..... In 2009, the Steelers missed the playoffs because of the defeat against the Raiders.

Coaches are not to blame on this game, since players have been bad in the end game.

The Duke
03-28-2011, 02:25 PM
We really need the CB's!

Oh great, thanks for the memories :(

Somewhat agree. It's a combination of both. That joe burnett drop is still one of the worse I've seen. Deshea by then had lost all his speed and could barely keep up with slow receivers, let alone 6'3 murphy. Gay and his concussion certainly did not help

I think it mostly affected Ike. He doesn't look like the same player out there. He is definitely way better when he's near the line, and giving that cushion just kills him

This year, even with troy's injuries, they let him play like himself. And even in the superbowl he was solid

Steeldude
03-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Against the Raiders in 2009, players are responsible for this horrible game.

Watch the video, it's the most embarrassing performance out I saw the steelers defense of my life ..... In 2009, the Steelers missed the playoffs because of the defeat against the Raiders.

Coaches are not to blame on this game, since players have been bad in the end game.

both are to blame. if the DC says play 10 yards off and allow plays in front of you, how are they going to make a play on the ball or stop a drive? the raiders' game was not the only one like this. the passive defense lebeau chose killed the steelers week in week out. if i remember correctly, the steelers' defense wasn't so passive in quarters 1 through 3

the DBs are average to below average. gay is basically a nickel back as is mcfadden. neither CB is starting material. basically the steelers have polamalu and taylor. after those two the talent drops significantly. the steelers need some CBs with speed and/or play making ability. i hear positive things on butler, but i am not holding my breath. unfortunately, IMO, this year's draft doesn't have any outstanding CBs. they all seem average except for one of two of them.

polamalubeast
03-28-2011, 04:40 PM
both are to blame. if the DC says play 10 yards off and allow plays in front of you, how are they going to make a play on the ball or stop a drive? the raiders' game was not the only one like this. the passive defense lebeau chose killed the steelers week in week out. if i remember correctly, the steelers' defense wasn't so passive in quarters 1 through 3

the DBs are average to below average. gay is basically a nickel back as is mcfadden. neither CB is starting material. basically the steelers have polamalu and taylor. after those two the talent drops significantly. the steelers need some CBs with speed and/or play making ability. i hear positive things on butler, but i am not holding my breath. unfortunately, IMO, this year's draft doesn't have any outstanding CBs. they all seem average except for one of two of them.

The game against the Bengals in Week 3 in 2009, coaches are much to blame this defeat because they are too conservative on offense and defense in the 4th quarter...But against the raiders, they have no excuse.

The play was the 4th minute of my video is one of the most embarrassing play that I saw steelers.....There were 4 players around Murphy and the pass was very bad, but Murphy grabs.

And stop blaming Lebeau .... It is the hall of fame and the steelers have the best defense in the league since 2004, although Ike Taylor is our only good CB that the Steelers had....One reason why the Packers won the Super Bowl ... it's that Green Bay had better corner than the steelers.

Steeldude
03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
And stop blaming Lebeau .... .

why? he is not without fault. he admitted his choice to play a passive defense was not a good one. you people get so protective of lebeau and other coaches. players and coaches combined are often the reason for a debacle. lebeau is not flawless. IMO, he needs to retire soon. i feel he has become complacent in his old age. it's the same as when noll retired. this is not to say lebeau is a horrible DC. he is still one of the top DCs in the NFL.

do the steelers lack talent in the secondary? yes. who puts those players out there? the coaches. who drafts these players? coaches/scouts.

the players are to blame to for trying to pass themselves off as NFL players. also for failing to improve; failing to knowing their roles; failing to remain disciplined; mental lapses etc...

Iron Steeler
03-29-2011, 07:38 PM
:scratchchin: hmm This Buster Skrine has caught my eye... alright ladies and gents! I want all the fact of this guy on my desk tomorrow. 40 TIME, SHUTTLE TIME, HEIGHT, FAVORITE COLOR, MAMAS NAME...ALL OF IT!!!

If not you may have to face termination.

Iron Steeler
03-29-2011, 07:40 PM
but for real... more info on this guy would be much appreciated

Steeldude
03-29-2011, 08:07 PM
mayock said skrine is a combine guy. he said after he viewed his combine workout he went to the game footage. basically skrine gets burned a lot.

SteelGhost
03-29-2011, 08:37 PM

This sums it up nicely :thumbsup:

steelreserve
03-30-2011, 02:34 AM
No offense, but I'm glad you're not running this team. OL is one of the top needs of the team (followed by CB)...one more solid piece to the puzzle and i think they'd be set. And yes fans have been asking for a solid (1st/2nd round) OL for years...because of how crappy the line has been. The team didnt draft a solid OL early since Faneca (they did take K. Simmons in the 1st...but he was no Faneca/Pouncey/etc), until last year. When the team drafts these mid to late rounders that either take years to become anything, or get released because they cant cut it what do you expect? Essex was a 3rd rounder his 5th yr in the league he started every game, but then this last yr he got demoted by an UDFA in Foster. Kemo a 6th rounder took until his 4th year to start every game, and he really isnt worth what he's being paid (i dont hate him or anything). The only 2 other starters taken in the 4th round (Starks, Colon), in the 2nd yr they started...but both are coming off serious injuries and we dont know how they are going to go...and we dont even know if Colon will be back for sure. Flozell was a high 2nd rounder, but he's nearing the end and maybe only have a year or so left in him. Then you got the backups Hills and J. Scott...2 4th rounders the only reason Scott saw playing time was due to injury and Hills has never been close to breaking the starting lineup. C. Scott is unproven because he didnt play at all last year, so who knows what we have there with this 5th round pick. The rest are pretty much UDFA's (Legursky is the best of that bunch by far). Urbik they cut for whatever reason and he was a 3rd rounder. If they can get one more solid stud OL and Colon/Starks come back fine then i think they will be set for a good while.

Hey, I'm glad you're not running the team too. OL is not one of our top needs. If we did what the draft-an-OL-in-the-1st-round crowd wanted every year, we'd be spending $40 million a year on the offensive line at the expense of losing guys like, oh ... Heath Miller, or James Harrison, or Casey Hampton, or Brett Kiesel, or Ike Taylor.

Seriously, dude. That's what the salary cap does. It means you cannot have a perfect team. It's not as simple as "addressing the offensive line." It would be great if you could simply sit there and say, "Hey, you know what? Here's the weakness on our team; let's go get some better players there." You can't. It's designed so if you want to improve one area, you are going to get weaker in another, unless you get really really lucky with a journeyman free agent or a low-round draft pick. Sorry, but that's just how it works. We've obviously decided that defense is the most important, the skill positions on offense are next, and we have to live with an adequate offensive line. We've obviously proven that's much easier to deal with than a weak link in your secondary. Oh well. We're probably not going to do it unless the draft shakes out weird, even though it's the obvious knee-jerk reaction.

Why do you think we draft linebackers in round 1-2 all the time even when we don't "need" them? Why haven't we taken a nose tackle in any of the last 5 drafts even though we "need" one? Because we've got priorities other than addressing the need of the day with a band-aid. I almost feel like I should say "I'll just trust the front office knows what they're doing, thanks," but that really just sounds so icky.