PDA

View Full Version : The Pouncey question

stillers4me
03-22-2011, 05:34 AM
Should the Steelers seriously consider trading up in the first round to take Mike Pouncey?
It is a pretty safe assumption that Pouncey will be gone before the Steelers’ first pick in the NFL draft, No. 31 overall.

Part of that is due to the success his twin brother, Maurkice, had last season with the Steelers. Pouncey made a seamless transition from college to the NFL, becoming the Steelers’ first rookie offensive linemen to make the Pro Bowl since the 1950s.
Mike Pouncey has said he wants to play center in the NFL, like his brother, but he may be just as suited to play guard. And his stellar career at Florida isn’t the only indicator that he should thrive at the next level as well..............

Read more @ http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/03/21/the-pouncey-question/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

zulater
03-22-2011, 05:59 AM
If we trade up it should be for an offensive tackle or cornerback. While Pouncey might be a really good guard, and while we certainly could use an upgrade at that position, we have too many other needs to dedicate our first round pick plus another draft pick that would be needed in a trade to move up for that position.

TroysBarber
03-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Since he clearly wants to play center, I'd definately say no. He'd leave as a free agent the minute that he can.

XxKnightxX
03-22-2011, 03:30 PM
If we trade up it should be for an offensive tackle or cornerback. While Pouncey might be a really good guard, and while we certainly could use an upgrade at that position, we have too many other needs to dedicate our first round pick plus another draft pick that would be needed in a trade to move up for that position.

Just remember that the Steelers take the best player on the board instead of going after needs. IF theres a better player talent wise on the board than Pouncey then they should take him. But Im a sucker and say we should go get him. If he gets past the top 20, then I say pull the trigger and get the deal done. He says he wants to play Center because of his brother and bromance, but Im sure hed love playing alongside his brother.

Craic
03-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Yes, under three conditions.

1. Everyone we WANT i.e. CB's and DE/NT's, are off the board for round one.
2. (I haven't followed him so--) He has had a very similar career as his brother, and shows the same aptitude and physical ability
3. He gives verbal agreement to playing Guard and not complaining about it.

Only then, I say yes.

Texasteel
03-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Since he clearly wants to play center, I'd definately say no. He'd leave as a free agent the minute that he can.

I've also read that he has said that if he does not get drafted by the steelers, that it's OK, because the NFL has the FAs. Implying that the Steelers are likely the team he would most likely listen to. I also think if he does get drafted by us he would gladly play OG. These two young men are extremely close. In fact I have heard that this last year is the first time they had be separated. Would I give a kings ransom to get him? No, but he is still THE player in this draft I would most like to get. Except for maybe Carimi.

SteelerFanInStl
03-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Trading up in the first for a Guard? No. If they're gonna trade up in the first, I'd like to see them get a CB.

Count Steeler
03-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Can't let sentimentality cloud our judgement. While we love Maurkice and would love to have his brother here, we have to equip our team so that we can continue to go to the Super Bowl more than any other team. Unfortunately, Mike does not fill our major holes for the coming season.

Texasteel
03-22-2011, 07:16 PM
That is were I disagree with most of you. I think OG is a major need for this team. I see the OL interior and a large problem last year and I see no improvement with what we have. How ever, I would not give up what I think we would have to to get Mike. ( I still see him going to the Eagles ) I would rather try to get Ijalana, or Cannon, in the 2nd, or Rackley in the 3rd. If we miss on them, I am hoping for Hurd in the 4th.

steelreserve
03-22-2011, 11:26 PM
bromance

Now there's a word that I'm glad enjoyed short-lived popularity. I was worried for a while that it was going to take off in pop culture, but for some reason people stopped saying it after a few tense weeks. I was much relieved.

Craic
03-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Can't let sentimentality cloud our judgement. While we love Maurkice and would love to have his brother here, we have to equip our team so that we can continue to go to the Super Bowl more than any other team. Unfortunately, Mike does not fill our major holes for the coming season.

One of the best ways to damage a team, is to draft for need rather than BPA. If there is an outstanding player at a position that we have somewhat of a need for, and a decent player at a position we have a real need for, go for the outstanding player in the draft. You can always plug a hole for a year or two, but when you draft someone, they can be playing for you for 10-15 years.

Count Steeler
03-23-2011, 04:42 PM
One of the best ways to damage a team, is to draft for need rather than BPA. If there is an outstanding player at a position that we have somewhat of a need for, and a decent player at a position we have a real need for, go for the outstanding player in the draft. You can always plug a hole for a year or two, but when you draft someone, they can be playing for you for 10-15 years.

That just does not happen though, Preacher. If an OLB is the BPA at pick 31, are the Steelers going to take one? Or at QB? Before we saw Pouncey play, do we all believe he was the BPA at spot 18 last year? I don't think so. BPA is only one factor to consider when drafting. The MAIN reason Mike Pouncey is being highly touted is because of the performance of his twin brother Maurkice. If not for Maurkice, Mike would have fallen to the 2nd or 3rd round.

Texasteel
03-23-2011, 05:29 PM
. The MAIN reason Mike Pouncey is being highly touted is because of the performance of his twin brother Maurkice. If not for Maurkice, Mike would have fallen to the 2nd or 3rd round.

I don't think you are giving those of us that do like Mike nearly enough credit. Mike did play well enought at a different position to be considered as a first round pick. The year before he was one of the best guards. IMO. Put his body of work with his work outs and I have no problem calling him a first round pick on his own. The thing I do look at with his brother is his intelligence and his attitude toward the game. I still think Mike is the best guard in the draft, and would likely fill BAP, and one of our needs.

Steelers33
03-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Should the Steelers seriously consider trading up in the first round to take Mike Pouncey?
It is a pretty safe assumption that Pouncey will be gone before the Steelers’ first pick in the NFL draft, No. 31 overall.

Part of that is due to the success his twin brother, Maurkice, had last season with the Steelers. Pouncey made a seamless transition from college to the NFL, becoming the Steelers’ first rookie offensive linemen to make the Pro Bowl since the 1950s.
Mike Pouncey has said he wants to play center in the NFL, like his brother, but he may be just as suited to play guard. And his stellar career at Florida isn’t the only indicator that he should thrive at the next level as well..............

Read more @ http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/03/21/the-pouncey-question/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

i wouldnt say it is guranteed he will be picked before us. people like mcshay and kiper are high on him because of the name, but he is not in the top 25 best overall players in my opinion. He is good dont get me wrong but he is overrated because of how well maurkice did. i think he will be picked before our pick but i wouldnt say it is a guarantee he will

The Duke
03-23-2011, 08:48 PM
He is good dont get me wrong but he is overrated because of how well maurkice did.

Only if you didn't watch him play

his name may help, sure, but he's been terrific the past two years and, imo, there is no better interior lineman than him in the draft. Hence, he will go early, just like he is predicted to

I would be ecstatic if we get him! even if I don't think it's a major need. But I still have huge doubts we will since there a just too many teams missing a good young interior lineman that can jump at the chance to get him. Unless we trade, but I wouldn't give more than our 3rd for that. I'd rather trade down and stockpile picks

JayC
03-23-2011, 09:13 PM
no. if he falls to us (highly doubt it and doubt the ravens would let us have what we want) and hes on the top of our board, take him. otherwise look at CB or something.

XxKnightxX
03-24-2011, 04:59 AM
no. if he falls to us (highly doubt it and doubt the ravens would let us have what we want) and hes on the top of our board, take him. otherwise look at CB or something.

3rd and 19 on January 15th 2011 basically told the Ravens that they need a CB badly.