PDA

View Full Version : Rooney to NFL: If it's not broken, don't try to fix it

stillers4me
03-22-2011, 05:28 AM
While NFL owners consider rules proposals for a 2011 season that may not take place, Art Rooney II would like them to apply some brakes.

The Steelers president thinks the league's competition committee might be trying to fix something that's not broken. He's dead set against expanding the use of instant replay, and he repeated a warning he first issued last fall: Don't go overboard with the new safety proposals.

"I don't like the replay rule," Rooney said.................

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11081/1133773-66.stm

zulater
03-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Actually I got to disagree with Rooney on this one, I like the new replay policy. I really don't think it will slow things down much, particuarly if they go the route of college ball and make the review a booth review rather than sending it down the field to be examined by the ref under the hood.

In fact this is one aspect where college ball has it all over the NFL, I like their replay system much better with all reviews being done from someone up above.

HometownGal
03-24-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm with Art II on his opposition to the proposed changes to the replay system. A viable alternative, imho, would be to give each coach one extra challenge per half to accommodate a questionable score.

"No. 1, look, everybody's for safety and [we will] try to do what we can to make the game as safe as we possibly can. The other side of that is you have to have a game where it's possible to officiate the game consistently, game in and game out. I've said this before, I really think we're asking a lot of our defensive players in terms of the adjustments they have to make. Now I think we're going to be asking a lot of our officials to really officiate this kind of stuff. The more judgment calls you put on them the more difficult it becomes."Overall, I think they do a good job but it's going to become a tougher game to officiate. I think we have to be realistic about how much this is doable. There has to be some balance to it."

AMEN, AMEN and A-freakin' MEN. :applaudit: :thumbsup: