PDA

View Full Version : Proposed rules to aid defenseless players might hinder Big Ben

stillers4me
03-21-2011, 05:07 AM
he new safety rules the NFL likely will pass this week could hurt the Steelers and not because they seem aimed at linebacker James Harrison.

The more stringent rules designed to protect defenseless players could hurt the Steelers best offensive player, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Rules proposed to keep quarterbacks healthy might curtail the performance of those quarterbacks who wiggle out of the grasp of defenders to keep a play going long enough to make something good happen. Under new proposed rules, many of those Roethlisberger escapes could be blown dead by an official. The old "in the grasp" whistle that became so unpopular in the NFL is making its way back, and that's not conducive to the way Roethlisberger plays the game..................

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11080/1133505-66.stm

stillers4me
03-21-2011, 05:56 AM
On the bright side, Ben will still be making the big plays because rules created to protect the QB never apply to him.

Nothing changes in Pittsburgh.

Texasteel
03-21-2011, 06:45 AM
This is just another rule to aid in the ridiculous illegal hit calls that they give Manning and Brady. You watch, if a defender gets one hand on either of them. If they get away and make a play, that's great. If they get hit by a defender, they were in the grasp and 3 or 4 yellow flags will come out.

HometownGal
03-21-2011, 06:53 AM
On the bright side, Ben will still be making the big plays because rules created to protect the QB never apply to him.

Nothing changes in Pittsburgh.

My thoughts exactly.

Gawd, I sure miss the NFL of the 70's and early 80's when it was played the way it was meant to be played. :doh:

polamalubeast
03-21-2011, 09:34 AM
My thoughts exactly.

Gawd, I sure miss the NFL of the 70's and early 80's when it was played the way it was meant to be played. :doh:

agree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9KmXAmMTjw

steeldevil
03-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Yep, this is all staged to help Brady and Manning...

LLT
03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Rules defining a defenseless player have been expanded and now include these eight categories:

A quarterback in the act of throwing ....dumbest rule ever. As a QB, I would fake pump all day until my recievers got open,,,OR I would just fake pump just before getting tackled so that I get an automatic 15 yards and 1st down.

A receiver trying to catch a pass...Hope they have taken "bobbling" into consideration...are CB's now reguired to wait until the reciever gains possession???

A runner already in the grasp of tacklers and having his forward progress stopped....Get ready for the early whistles calling the play dead. Lets just take away about half of Bettis's career yardage.

A player fielding a punt or a kickoff...already in place...maybe they should spend more time cleaning up the kickoff rule that states it is "interference" if the kick returner bobbles the ball and it hits the opposing team before it hits the ground...stupid rule.

A kicker or punter during the kick....already in place but only arbitrarily enforced if the kicker/punter "sells" it.

A quarterback at any time after change of possession....really?...sooooo no one can block Ben if he throws an interception and is running after the defender?

A receiver who receives a blind-side block....Already in place...arbitrarily enforced

A player already on the ground....should make for some interesting calls when the ball is loose and players are diving over and on players trying to retrieve a fumble.

NJarhead
03-21-2011, 10:55 AM
That "in the grasp" rule could have prevented one of the greatest plays/comebacks/upsets in SB history back 2007 with Eli to Tyree.

LLT
03-21-2011, 11:22 AM
So with Goodell's new interpretation of the rules....Is it fair to say that the Packers pick six off of Ben should have actually been called back as a 15 yard penalty and a first down for the Steelers since he was "in the process of throwing"?
:behindsofa:

fansince'76
03-21-2011, 11:32 AM
So with Goodell's new interpretation of the rules....Is it fair to say that the Packers pick six off of Ben should have actually been called back as a 15 yard penalty and a first down for the Steelers since he was "in the process of throwing"?

Not to mention the fumble return for a TD by the Ravens in the divisional round. But we all know damn well that this won't apply to Roethlisberger anyway. Chris Kluwe's whiteboard said it best:

http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsgrid/uploads/2010/10/diagram-e1287849469162.jpg

Yes, Ben is a QB, but in this case, and based on historical observation of the application of the rules (or lack thereof) up to this point, he most certainly falls under the category of players the NFL ultimately doesn't give a f#ck about.

NJarhead
03-21-2011, 11:32 AM

Have to get into his little mind. I would gather the thought process goes something like this:

Did the play result in points (which results in boosting fan numbers and revenue)? - Play stands.

Was it an incomplete pass? - He was in the grasp/Do over.

SteelGhost
03-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Sheshhh.... these idiots (GoodHell and Co. that is) are killing the league :puke:

Edman
03-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Because the rules didn't hinder Ben already?

Bluecoat96
03-21-2011, 02:10 PM
My thoughts exactly.

What was football like in the 70's? I don't remember, because I was BORN in '75.:grin::bolt:

but seriously though...it's not about safety, but rather about how points put people in the seats. Pass Pass Pass....

Steelerone67
03-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Ya you guys didnt know that, when they change rules the only mean for the scrub ass teams that dont have 6 superbowl rings. Steeler rules havent changed since Knoll was here.

Steeldude
03-21-2011, 04:54 PM
so that's 4 rules now because of the steelers.

1. mel blount rule
2. hines ward rule
3. james harrison rule
4. ben roethlisberger rule

a strike that lasts 1 to 3 years won't make me abandon the NFL, but implementing pansy rules will definitely make me stop watching.

Steeldude
03-21-2011, 04:56 PM
What was football like in the 70's? I don't remember, because I was BORN in '75.:grin::bolt:

much better. each decade the NFL gets worse.

ALLD
03-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Sheshhh.... these idiots (GoodHell and Co. that is) are killing the league :puke:

You mean he and the allied owners ran it into the ground. Why are they wasting time making stupid new rules when next season is still in doubt at the least and everything still negotiable? Are they trying to act like everything is fine and it is all in the best interest of the players? Next thing they will try and sell are waterfront timeshares in Japan right next door to a nuclear plant.

Texasteel
03-21-2011, 06:36 PM

but seriously though...it's not about safety, but rather about how points put people in the seats. Pass Pass Pass....

There was a lot about the 70s I just don't remember, :smoker: But the football was great!!!!!

Godfather
03-21-2011, 06:58 PM
The in the grasp rule is moronic. Trying to shake off a defender is one of the safest situations for a quarterback.

I know it sounds like tinfoil hat stuff, but it's awfully curious how all of Goofdell's rules and enforcement hurt the Steelers and help the Pats* (in this case, Brady is too nutless to try to shake off a defender so it won't affect him.)

The Duke
03-22-2011, 12:23 AM
The in the grasp rule is moronic. Trying to shake off a defender is one of the safest situations for a quarterback.

I know it sounds like tinfoil hat stuff, but it's awfully curious how all of Goofdell's rules and enforcement hurt the Steelers and help the Pats* (in this case, Brady is too nutless to try to shake off a defender so it won't affect him.)

Yep, and don't forget there's already the Tom Brady rule too :doh:

smokin3000gt
03-22-2011, 12:47 AM
I've heard about these changes too but what do we think the odds of them getting voted on and passed? If it's the owners vote, they have to know that they would lose a ton of fans. Personally, I can't believe they are even considering the changes. My pops is already ready to boycott the league and it's new rules. TBH I don't think I would be far behind him.. How much fun is it to watch brady/manning with all the calls going their way?

NCSteeler
03-22-2011, 01:43 AM
I bet all of this and more will pass this year. It's all a PR move in light of the "players" safety complaints during CBA negotiations, even though their complaints stem around 18 games, spring workouts and retiree healthcare. The general public will never realize the difference.