PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

SteelerEmpire
03-17-2011, 12:33 AM
I'm not gonna say if it's right or wrong or whateva, but like I said in another post, don't expect to understand a negotiation... :huh:. It's 'really' all about employing leverage and "tricks" to gain an advantage...

Article:

Running back Rashard Mendenhall is drawing attention to himself — and not because of his costly fumble in Super Bowl XLV.

Mendenhall on Wednesday supported Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson's analogy between the NFL and the slave trade.

LINK: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_727833.html

zulater
03-17-2011, 06:19 AM
I wonder what Mendy thinks of "Uncle" Tomlin then?

86WARD
03-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Mendenhall's as big an idiot as Peterson. Just STFU already...seriously...

HometownGal
03-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Don't these idiots realize that they are simply NOT helping their cause here? :doh: Like another member said a few days ago - this debacle is turning into a giant pissing contest and there is never a winner in a pissing match.

Texasteel
03-17-2011, 08:04 AM
They were winning the war as far as public opinion was concerned. They really need to keep their mouths shut. It's hard to believe these are educated people.

HometownGal
03-17-2011, 08:09 AM
It's hard to believe these are educated people.

They're educated as far as playing football and a lot of them got into college on football scholarships. I'd love to see their GPA's.

Texasteel
03-17-2011, 08:25 AM
They're educated as far as playing football and a lot of them got into college on football scholarships. I'd love to see their GPA's.

You'll find them with Oboma's birth certificate.:bounce:

HometownGal
03-17-2011, 08:34 AM

LOL!! :lol:

I just wish they'd all quit fueling the fire and STFU.

shinoff2183
03-17-2011, 09:13 AM

For someone who couldnt even spell obama your pretty funny. ha ha ha

Devilsdancefloor
03-17-2011, 09:14 AM
yeah wtf is going on with these guys ugh

Texasteel
03-17-2011, 10:00 AM

Sorry professor. I will expect that to count off on my grade. This is a talk site, not a classroom.

fansince'76
03-17-2011, 10:26 AM

A good number of them probably never set foot inside a classroom and skated through.

JonM229
03-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Running back Rashard Mendenhall is drawing attention to himself — and not because of his costly fumble in Super Bowl XLV.

That tickles me.

Do these players know that comments like this are swinging the public's favor towards the owners?

HometownGal
03-17-2011, 11:06 AM

For someone who didn't capitalize our President's name and doesn't know the difference between a possessive adjective and a contraction, you're pretty funny yourself. Ha ha ha.

Merchant
03-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Soo.. they're comparing getting paid millions of dollars to play football with.. the slave trade?

Edman
03-17-2011, 12:28 PM
It's disappointing to hear this from Mendenhall. I thought he was smarter than that.

In the world of public opinion and support of the people on their side, the NFLPA certainly isn't doing a good job by making asinine comments like this.

Who wants to bet the double trouble (Jackson and Sharpton) will stick their noses into this with these comments?

Devilsdancefloor
03-17-2011, 12:38 PM
It's disappointing to hear this from Mendenhall. I thought he was smarter than that.

In the world of public opinion and support of the people on their side, the NFLPA certainly isn't doing a good job by making asinine comments like this.

Who wants to bet the double trouble (Jackson and Sharpton) will stick their noses into this with these comments?

To be honest i am a little shocked that sharpton hasnt said something already

Everytime i think of this i get angry! these guys have the world by the short hairs and bitch and moan.

zulater
03-17-2011, 12:54 PM
To be honest i am a little shocked that sharpton hasnt said something already

Everytime i think of this i get angry! these guys have the world by the short hairs and bitch and moan.

As Jon alluded to on the Adrian Peterson thread, had it been a white player.....

Count Steeler
03-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Mendy should get DeMaurice's hand out of his back and start speaking for himself. If this is truly his own opinion, then I really feel sorry for him.

salamander
03-17-2011, 04:42 PM
I feel no sympathy for guys that get paid millions of dollars to play football.

steeldawg
03-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Just shows you the mindset of these players, just pampered immature idiots taking their situation for granted.

st33lersguy
03-17-2011, 06:15 PM
"If you look back and dissect what I said, I didn't say that the NFL was slavery, I said that they parallel each other. Look up the word parallel,"

No but you basically compared the two which is still ignorant and juvenile

Craic
03-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Anyone question why the Tribune continued to harp on Mendenhall's fumble in an article that had nothing to do with the Superbowl? Nice way to de-legitimatize Mendenhall without editorializing on this actual statement.
I so hate the press.

Mendenhall is right. He said, PARALLELS. Not, is, or equated too. Just that there are parallels.

Let me name a few:
Combine is simply a meat market- Inspect the slaves before you buy one.
Draft gives the player no choice- Slave auctions gave the person no choice.
Owners can cut a player for pretty much any reason-even for no reason at all- Slaves had very little control over their life.
Owners as a whole care more about the franchise than the player- Slave owners cared more about the plantation than the slaves.
Owners can destroy a career - Slave Owners can destroy a person, period.

There are some serious differences as well:

Multi-million dollar contracts for players - Multiple beatings and whippings by owners. (Preachers were the worst. As it's recorded, "Got the devil in you boy, I'm going to have to whip him out of you." Sickening.)
Agents represent every individual player to get every last cent - No representation at all. Period.
NFLPA and resulting CBA overarching protective umbrellas - No protection at all.
A PLAYER CHOOSES TO PLAY IN THE NFL - No choice to be a slave.
Some pushed by family to play better - Many sold by family/tribal leader/royalty to slave traders.
Based on ability - Based on race.

Mendenhall needs to get smarter and stop tweeting about things that should take a lot more explaining. But it's also not his fault that others react not about what he said, but about what they thought he said.

silver & black
03-17-2011, 06:27 PM
They were winning the war as far as public opinion was concerned. They really need to keep their mouths shut. It's hard to believe these are educated people.

Who says they're educated? Sure, there are the exceptions, but the majority of these guys just cruize through life because they are great athletes. They play football... that's it.

Craic
03-17-2011, 06:45 PM
They were winning the war as far as public opinion was concerned.
Yep, and with comments such as Peterson's and Mendenhall's, it won't last. The issue isn't whether they are right or wrong, but perception.
If the majority of Americans believe that the race card is being played to help the plight of downtrodden millionaires, the NFLPA will find absolutely NO backing in the public whatsoever.

GBMelBlount
03-17-2011, 08:30 PM
For someone who didn't capitalize our President's name and doesn't know the difference between a possessive adjective and a contraction, you're pretty funny yourself. Ha ha ha.

LMAO!!!!! That was funny Htg!

This is more telling about the prejudices of those playing the race card analogies than anything else.

X-Terminator
03-17-2011, 11:22 PM
"Learn to LISTEN before you pass judgement. Because speaking without knowledge of subject is truly ignorant."

Oh, we LISTENED, all right. You, along with idiot Peterson, compared playing in the NFL and making millions of dollars to the slave trade. Where is the misunderstanding? Where is the misrepresentation? Peterson said it, and YOU AGREED. Which makes you as big an ignorant fool as Peterson. Best thing for you to do is to admit you made a mistake, that playing in the NFL is not even close to the same thing or even PARALLELS slavery, and move on. My guess is that it won't happen.

Go owners.

Craic
03-18-2011, 01:20 AM
"Learn to LISTEN before you pass judgement. Because speaking without knowledge of subject is truly ignorant."

Oh, we LISTENED, all right. You, along with idiot Peterson, compared playing in the NFL and making millions of dollars to the slave trade. Where is the misunderstanding? Where is the misrepresentation? Peterson said it, and YOU AGREED. Which makes you as big an ignorant fool as Peterson. Best thing for you to do is to admit you made a mistake, that playing in the NFL is not even close to the same thing or even PARALLELS slavery, and move on. My guess is that it won't happen.

Go owners.

Was it this, or did a few things completely move you? I remember you saying something awhile back about it.

X-Terminator
03-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Was it this, or did a few things completely move you? I remember you saying something awhile back about it.

This put me over the top. I was teetering on the edge because the players have an asshole leading them, telling draft picks not to show up to the NFL Draft and instead come to their "ceremony" (put together by the same asshole leading them) and now this with Peterson and Mendenhall. All they had to do was keep their mouths shut, and they'd have had all the support they'd need from the fans and media. Thanks to these two morons, they've pissed it away. So now I'm reluctantly backing the owners, as much as I don't want to see Der Kommissar getting anything but a pink slip.

Just George
03-18-2011, 09:06 AM
• Pittsburgh Steelers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers/67067) safety and team NFLPA representative Ryan Clark (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/ryan-clark/105951) offered a level-headed perspective about Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/adrian-peterson/469519)'s recent comparison of the NFL's treatment of players to "modern-day slavery."
"No matter how much history we study, we'll never understand slavery because we've never been a part of it," Clark said. "There are people in other parts of the world who are 'modern-day slaves' whether legal or illegal. We don't want to make that comparison. Clearly, slaves don't get paid the way we get paid.
"But neither am I going to condemn Adrian for his feelings, emotions or statement. That's not for me to do. I think he was speaking and emotional. I'm not saying it came out the wrong way because maybe he believes in some ways (the NFL) is a form of it. But those (statements) are going to be scrutinized because he's Adrian Peterson and such a great player."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-to-enforce-personal-conduct-policy-despite-lockout-031711

Texasteel
03-18-2011, 09:30 AM
A very eloquent and sensible way of putting this. Now maybe he can put a spin on his own statements.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-19-2011, 08:53 PM
As someone who studied history in college at the great West Liberty State (LOL!) I don't recall being taught the idea of slaves receiving unrestricted free agency where owners would pull up their horse and buggy's to bid millions of dollars on the services of those who would pick their cotton...

...just sayin'.

Mendy can use the term "parallel" all he wants. His statement is idiotic and he's trying to create something that isn't even close to reality. He should study a little more before opening his mouth and closing his eyes...

Psycho Ward 86
03-19-2011, 09:18 PM
A very eloquent and sensible way of putting this. Now maybe he can put a spin on his own statements.

No pun intended? :chuckle:

zulater
03-19-2011, 09:23 PM
If Mendy had been an actual slave I think he would have been in for a few lashes after his Super Bowl fumble. :wink02:

SteelGhost
03-20-2011, 12:00 PM
If Mendy had been an actual slave I think he would have been in for a few lashes after his Super Bowl fumble. :wink02:

That's a good one Zu :rofl2:

SMR
03-20-2011, 07:30 PM

I almost snorted my milk.

Thanks alot.