PDA

View Full Version : Players Brought in for Workouts

Chidi29
03-16-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm starting a thread to keep all the players we have brought in for a workout in one place. The Steelers' facebook account says we brought in the following players. All of them are from Pitt so they don't count against the 30 players we can bring in.

DEs Greg Romeus and Jabal Sheard
FB Henry Hynoski
WR Jon Baldwin
RB Dion Lewis
SS Dom DiCicco
T Jason Pinkston

Players that Count Against Us

KR Dwight Dasher
NT Phil Taylor, Kenrick Ellis
DE Cameron Jordan, Zach Clayton
CBs Buster Skrine, Curtis Brown, Curtis Marsh, Cortez Allen, Ras I-Dowling
OT James Carpenter, Jarreil King, Marcus Gilbert
OG Rodney Hudson
WR Austin Pettis
RB Da'Rel Scott

I really like DiCicco. He is a tweener but he has a nose for the ball and always seem to be making a big play.

If you see more listed as we get closer to the draft, post them and I'll update this thread.

Texasteel
03-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Romeus and Sheard would obviously be OLBs in our defense. Do you think they may be looking at DeCicco as an ILB, he is only 5lb lighter than Sean Lee, now a cowboy, and the same size as Casey Matthews.

st33lersguy
03-16-2011, 08:35 PM
The steelers should be bringing in more DL and DBs and less RB, WR, and OLB

Texasteel
03-16-2011, 08:42 PM

I'm not sure how many workouts we are aloud, but I think we will see plenty of DL, and DBs.

Chidi29
03-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Romeus and Sheard would obviously be OLBs in our defense. Do you think they may be looking at DeCicco as an ILB, he is only 5lb lighter than Sean Lee, now a cowboy, and the same size as Casey Matthews.

Like I said, DeCicco is one of those tweeners. Not exactly sure what his timed speed is but I'm guessing it's probably low. If that's the case, then looking at him as an ILB is likely.

I think we're looking at him as a special teamer. To start at least. A gritty guy who isn't afraid to get his jersey dirty who can bust a wedge, throw a block on a kickoff, or be an upback on punts. Can never have enough of those types of players IMO, no matter what position they are listed defensively on the depth chart.

Chidi29
03-16-2011, 09:02 PM

Again, these players don't count against our total. I think it's a seventy-mile radius where the player doesn't count against the thirty we can bring in to interview. Might as well bring in as many from that region as we can.

The Duke
03-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Decicco could even go undrafted! So I say nab him in the 7th!

kid's got some potential, his tackling technique impressed me for a college DB.

Romeus was amazing before his injuries. Similar to Schofield last year, someone might get a very good recovering prospect

Steelersfan
03-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Not an official visit yet:

California defensive end Cameron Jordan - who is currently the 4th rated DE prospect - has upcoming visits scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Tampa Bay & Buffalo per a league source.

http://sports.yahoo.com/n...with_steelers_bucs_bills

Texasteel
03-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Again, these players don't count against our total. I think it's a seventy-mile radius where the player doesn't count against the thirty we can bring in to interview. Might as well bring in as many from that region as we can.

Thank Chidi, I had forgotten about them not counting against our total.

Chidi29
03-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Not an official visit yet:

California defensive end Cameron Jordan - who is currently the 4th rated DE prospect - has upcoming visits scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Tampa Bay & Buffalo per a league source.

http://sports.yahoo.com/n...with_steelers_bucs_bills

Would be awesome to get him but he definitely won't fall to us. Possible target should we see an opportunity to trade up?

Steeldude
03-23-2011, 07:35 PM
I really like DiCicco. He is a tweener but he has a nose for the ball and always seem to be making a big play.

not this decicco http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dcqPfmqmOus/TUClpCUxNcI/AAAAAAAAAhw/RtN7njiyhYs/s1600/Conehead%252Bfor%252Bblog.jpg

if anyone is familiar with the coneheads movie.

Chidi29
03-25-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure if this counts as a workout since it doesn't appear we brought him to the team facility, but we sent Al Everest to work out Dwight Dasher out Middle Tennessee. He had a poor senior year, throwing a ton of interceptions, and it looks like he's going to find a role in a "slash" role. The article saying... "workout with Dasher on Thursday that focused on his return skills, according to an NFL source with knowledge of the situation.

During his campus Pro Day workout, Dasher also ran wide receiver routes, caught the ball out of the backfield and threw the football."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Steelers-work-out-Middle-Tennessee-State-quarterback-Dwight-Dasher-as-a-return-man.html

LLT
03-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Like I said, DeCicco is one of those tweeners. Not exactly sure what his timed speed is but I'm guessing it's probably low. If that's the case, then looking at him as an ILB is likely.

Dom DiCicco, Pitt, S Pro Day results:

Measured in at
Height: 6'2
Weight: 232

Ran a 4.60 then a 4.62 forty.
6.65 3-cone
12.00 Long shuttle
4.12 Short Shuttle
10'7" Broad jump
37" Vertical jump

Most scouts have him pegged as a safety or a 4-3 OLB.

Aussie_steeler
03-26-2011, 04:16 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Phil-Taylor-to-visit-Jets-Steelers-Browns-five-others.html

Massive Baylor nose guard Phil Taylor has eight upcoming official visits, including the New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs, San Francisco 49ers and the New Orleans Saints, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.
Taylor conducted three private workouts this week with the Browns, Chiefs and an undisclosed AFC playoff team.

Chidi29
03-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks Aussie.

Texasteel
03-26-2011, 04:47 PM
I figured we would bring in Phil at some point, but I think we would have to move past NY to get him, maybe even NO.

LLT
03-26-2011, 05:24 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Phil-Taylor-to-visit-Jets-Steelers-Browns-five-others.html

Massive Baylor nose guard Phil Taylor has eight upcoming official visits, including the New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs, San Francisco 49ers and the New Orleans Saints, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.
Taylor conducted three private workouts this week with the Browns, Chiefs and an undisclosed AFC playoff team.

Phil Taylor is one of the handful of players that I think might be on the board and worthy of the #31 overall pick. I am thinking more and more that this is the year to trade out of the bottom of the first. I think there is more value in the 2nd round than the end of the 1st.

We have talked about trading down with Denver (which could prove costly) but if we traded with San Diego we could end up trading our 1st round, 3rd round and 6th round picks and end up with ....three 2nd round picks, a 4th, 5th and 7th rounder.

That could mean a second round of ...OT Marcus Cannon...CB Ras-I Dowling...and NT Jerrell Powe.

Texasteel
03-26-2011, 06:47 PM
This has been my thinking as well Perry. Lets say what some are saying happens , Carolina, and Cincy take the top to QBs then Minn. grabs Locker. That would leave Denver, Buffalo, Arizona, and SF, all possibly interested in who may be Ponder. I'm going to concentrate on SF because they own the #12 pick in both the 2nd, and 3rd round, and I think we might be able to get them both. That could translate into.

2-12 / Ijalana, or Cannon OT/OG
2-31 / Dowling or Chekwa CB
3-12 / Ellis or Casey DT
3-31 / Sheppard or Johns ILB

That would still give us the rest of our picks to bargain hunt.

LLT
03-26-2011, 07:07 PM
This has been my thinking as well Perry. Lets say what some are saying happens , Carolina, and Cincy take the top to QBs then Minn. grabs Locker. That would leave Denver, Buffalo, Arizona, and SF, all possibly interested in who may be Ponder. I'm going to concentrate on SF because they own the #12 pick in both the 2nd, and 3rd round, and I think we might be able to get them both. That could translate into.

2-12 / Ijalana, or Cannon OT/OG
2-31 / Dowling or Chekwa CB
3-12 / Ellis or Casey DT
3-31 / Sheppard or Johns ILB

That would still give us the rest of our picks to bargain hunt.

I'm still thinking that Palmer ends up in San Francisco or Arizona....Kolb ends up in Minnesota or Seattle.... but I think we are onto something!!!

Texasteel
03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm still thinking that Palmer ends up in San Francisco or Arizona....Kolb ends up in Minnesota or Seattle.... but I think we are onto something!!!

That is the high point of no contract. If it last till after the draft, no one will know where anyone will be landing.

Aussie_steeler
03-26-2011, 07:26 PM
From everyone I’ve talked with this week, there seems to be a growing belief that there are actually some legs to the Patriots-Chargers potential first-round trade involving the Pats 28th overall pick.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-draft-rumors-3231.html

Without a new CBA in place the Pats cannot play their normal game and trade away 2nd round picks for 1st rounders in the following draft.

I am guessing that the Pats are looking at loading up in the 2nd again this year ( #50 & #61 from the chargers to add to their #33 and #60) and really building some serious depth.

If I am the chargers and now have #18 and #28 then I can really load up with a combo ( DE/ OLB) like

#18 DE JJ Watt
#28 OLB Justin Houston or Akeem Ayers

or conversely
#18 Justin Houston ( if you really love him)
#28 Muhammed Wilkerson / Cameron Heyward

I can see the steelers possibly becoming trade down partners to fleece somebody who wants to overpay for Ryan Mallet / Jake Locker / Christian Ponder or Andy Dalton.
If Seattle trades their pick to the Eagles for Kevin Kolb then one of the top 4 QB's will still be on the board.

A team like Buffalo could well take a stud at #3 ( Dareus / Green or Peterson) and then get back into the QB battle at the end of the first.

7willBheaven
03-27-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm starting a thread to keep all the players we have brought in for a workout in one place. The Steelers' facebook account says we brought in the following players. All of them are from Pitt so they don't count against the 30 players we can bring in.

DEs Greg Romeus and Jabal Sheard
FB Henry Hynoski
WR Jon Baldwin
RB Dion Lewis
SS Dom DiCicco
T Jason Pinkston
KR Dwight Dasher
NT Phil Taylor
CBs Buster Skrine and Curtis Brown

If you see more listed as we get closer to the draft, post them and I'll update this thread.

I know a few of these guys are not from Pitt, hahah

Chidi29
03-27-2011, 04:30 PM
I know a few of these guys are not from Pitt, hahah

lol, I started the thread after seeing all of the Pitt players we brought in. Forgot to separate the two groups.

LLT
03-28-2011, 07:28 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-draft-rumors-3231.html

A team like Buffalo could well take a stud at #3 ( Dareus / Green or Peterson) and then get back into the QB battle at the end of the first.

I am HUGE on Marcus Cannon...and would gladly trade down to get him AND get additional draft picks beisides!!!!!!

Texasteel
03-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I am HUGE on Marcus Cannon...and would gladly trade down to get him AND get additional draft picks beisides!!!!!!

Still think that we may be able to get a bidding war going that would do us nothing but good. Unless something unforeseen happens, I believe I for one want out of the 1st round.

I would love to end up with either Ijalana, or Cannon, even though I know there will be a lot of bitching about the pick.

LLT
03-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Still think that we may be able to get a bidding war going that would do us nothing but good. Unless something unforeseen happens, I believe I for one want out of the 1st round.

I would love to end up with either Ijalana, or Cannon, even though I know there will be a lot of bitching about the pick.

If we get Ijalana, Cannon, Rackley, or Moffitt...I am going to be happy. Cannon would be my first pick only because of his versatility to play OT/OG

In fact, If we get Cannon...I wouldnt be surprised if we didnt look at an OG in the later rounds.

Texasteel
03-28-2011, 12:54 PM
If what we are talking about happens, we could easily end up with Cannon and Moffitt. If we do, get ready for some heavy crying around here, but not by me. Give me those two and sandwich any of 3 CBs inbetween, and I will be delighted.

LLT
03-28-2011, 01:47 PM
If what we are talking about happens, we could easily end up with Cannon and Moffitt. If we do, get ready for some heavy crying around here, but not by me. Give me those two and sandwich any of 3 CBs inbetween, and I will be delighted.

Give me those two...and Ras-I Dowling....and a DE...and i will be happy. I keep looking at Jarvis Jenkins, trying to decide if he would be a good fit as a 3-4 DE.

Texasteel
03-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Give me those two...and Ras-I Dowling....and a DE...and i will be happy. I keep looking at Jarvis Jenkins, trying to decide if he would be a good fit as a 3-4 DE.

Going to leave the decision on Jenkins to someone smarter than me, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather wait a round or two and take a shot David Carter or Martin Parker. I thought Parker looked quicker in the Shrine game than he gets credit for.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-28-2011, 07:59 PM
That could mean a second round of ...OT Marcus Cannon...CB Ras-I Dowling...and NT Jerrell Powe.

While I would like to see us take a shot at a guy that can eventually play LT (I dont think Cannon is that guy) I would love to pickup Cannon and Jerrell Powe in the draft. Get younger depth on both lines and guys that could plug in the starting lineup in year 1 or 2.

Aussie_steeler
03-29-2011, 01:17 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Rodney-Hudson-to-meet-with-Steelers.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Florida State center-guard Rodney Hudson is scheduled to visit the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

LLT
03-29-2011, 07:34 AM
While I would like to see us take a shot at a guy that can eventually play LT (I dont think Cannon is that guy) I would love to pickup Cannon and Jerrell Powe in the draft. Get younger depth on both lines and guys that could plug in the starting lineup in year 1 or 2.

Totally agree with you. Cannon is a RT/OG prospect who could be "plugged in" at LT as a stop gap if needed due to his athleticism.....but he is not a true LT. I think that he could be the future at RT and would fit in immediately at RG... as a first year starter.

Texasteel
03-29-2011, 09:09 AM
OG is what I am interested in right now. I may be in the minority, but it seemed to me that when Pouncey got in trouble it was because he was trying to help out one of the OGs, and he still had an all pro year. Think of how good he could be sandwiched between two good guards. If we are after a future LT, Sherrod would be the best pick, and I am not counting him out yet. If Carimi is still on the board, all bets are off, I take him as fast as I can get the card to the front.

The Duke
03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
OG is what I am interested in right now. I may be in the minority, but it seemed to me that when Pouncey got in trouble it was because he was trying to help out one of the OGs, and he still had an all pro year. Think of how good he could be sandwiched between two good guards. If we are after a future LT, Sherrod would be the best pick, and I am not counting him out yet. If Carimi is still on the board, all bets are off, I take him as fast as I can get the card to the front.

heck, if he's still available in picks 20-25 I'd trade to get him. The bears jets and even the patriots may just steal him from us if he slides any longer

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Totally agree with you. Cannon is a RT/OG prospect who could be "plugged in" at LT as a stop gap if needed due to his athleticism.....but he is not a true LT. I think that he could be the future at RT and would fit in immediately at RG... as a first year starter.

I equate Cannon to a more agile Nicks. Dont think he has the lateral quickness to really be a solid LT, but like you say, a stop gap if needed. Like Nicks, I dont know if the guy warrants a high 2nd round grade, but will probably go end of 2nd to early 3rd.

As much as I want somebody with LT potential, if your scenario works out and we get those 3 guys with our top 3 picks...I will still be pleased.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-29-2011, 04:17 PM

I dont think we need to get an OG in the 1st, as they can always be found later. I also think the nature of interior line play is there are often double teams or help situations, so not really a need for an OG. IMO>

I am with you though. If Carimi is there, run with the card to the podium. He looks like a bigger version of Bulaga, with a bit better footwork. Both of them dont look athletic, but they are both efficient in their technique which makes them look slower than they are. They move smart and deliberate without losing balance....as opposed to quick and rushed.

Texasteel
03-29-2011, 04:42 PM
I dont think we need to get an OG in the 1st, as they can always be found later. I also think the nature of interior line play is there are often double teams or help situations, so not really a need for an OG. IMO>

I am with you though. If Carimi is there, run with the card to the podium. He looks like a bigger version of Bulaga, with a bit better footwork. Both of them dont look athletic, but they are both efficient in their technique which makes them look slower than they are. They move smart and deliberate without losing balance....as opposed to quick and rushed.

Don't feel bad partner, a lot of people don't agree with me.

You remember the year that you and I both thought Woods would be there and end up our pick, just to have our hearts broken. Maybe this year the luck will work in reverse and we will get Carimi.

stillers4me
03-29-2011, 06:31 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/628853830/theredzonetwitterpage_normal.gif
TheRedzoneorg (http://twitter.com/#!/TheRedzoneorg) The Redzone

Auburn DT Zach Clayton to visit the Steelers http://tinyurl.com/4r4nfd6 (http://tinyurl.com/4r4nfd6)

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Don't feel bad partner, a lot of people don't agree with me.

You remember the year that you and I both thought Woods would be there and end up our pick, just to have our hearts broken. Maybe this year the luck will work in reverse and we will get Carimi.

Yeah, I thought we were in the Zuttah camp a few years back too. So we missed on Woods and Mack, but got Pouncey. I was hoping for Bulaga last year actually when he slid. OK, I'll let you pimp Pouncey, Watkins and Cannon in the hope we get Carimi.

LLT
03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
I equate Cannon to a more agile Nicks. Dont think he has the lateral quickness to really be a solid LT, but like you say, a stop gap if needed. Like Nicks, I dont know if the guy warrants a high 2nd round grade, but will probably go end of 2nd to early 3rd.

As much as I want somebody with LT potential, if your scenario works out and we get those 3 guys with our top 3 picks...I will still be pleased.

There are a few developmental LT's after the first round.

Joseph Barksdale, from LSU....

James Brewer, from Indiana (You talked about this guy early on, and I am starting to warm to him)....

Chris Hairston of Clemson (One of my personal favorites and a value pick anywhere from the 3rd round on.)...

Derek Newton, from Arkansas State (very athletic..needs some technigue work)

stillers4me
04-01-2011, 05:45 AM
DE Cameron Jordan to visit Steelers

March, 31, 2011
By James Walker

The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) will meet with Cal defensive end Cameron Jordan (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27254/cameron-jordan) next week, a source tells the AFC North blog.

Jordan will visit Pittsburgh on April 4 to meet with the Steelers' brass. Pittsburgh is a team looking to get younger on the defensive line, as ends Brett Keisel (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3743) and Aaron Smith (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1862) and nose tackle Casey Hampton (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2567) are all over 30. The Steelers drafted defensive end Ziggy Hood (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12442) in the first round two years ago, and he helped contribute to last season's Super Bowl run........

read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/26057/de-cameron-jordan-to-visit-steelers

Texasteel
04-01-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm glad he is coming in. But unless we have a Major, Major deal going, I don't see up getting within 20 picks of him. Since existing players can not be add to any deal right now I think that kind of a deal is very unlike. How ever this is one that I would love to eat crow on.

Texasteel
04-01-2011, 07:59 AM
There are a few developmental LT's after the first round.

Joseph Barksdale, from LSU....

James Brewer, from Indiana (You talked about this guy early on, and I am starting to warm to him)....

Chris Hairston of Clemson (One of my personal favorites and a value pick anywhere from the 3rd round on.)...

Derek Newton, from Arkansas State (very athletic..needs some technigue work)

That is a good list bud. Brewers ankle still scares me a bit. I've been in the Hairston camp early, I've seen him listed as low as 5th round. Not to sure about that, I think he would be a tremendous 5th round pick.

vtw8lftr
04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Via The Pittsburgh Steelers Facebook page:

The Steelers entertained three draft prospects on Friday: OT Jarriel King of South Carolina, OT James Carpenter Jr. of Alabama, and OT Marcus Gilbert of Florida. Previously, the team brought in DL Kenrick Ellis of Hampton. Teams are allowed to bring in 30 draft prospects total for visits.

Chidi29
04-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys.

Chidi29
04-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Added two more to the list. Pettis and Curtis Marsh.

LLT
04-04-2011, 04:00 AM
Via The Pittsburgh Steelers Facebook page:

The Steelers entertained three draft prospects on Friday: OT Jarriel King of South Carolina, OT James Carpenter Jr. of Alabama, and OT Marcus Gilbert of Florida. Previously, the team brought in DL Kenrick Ellis of Hampton. Teams are allowed to bring in 30 draft prospects total for visits.

Hmmmm...dont know what to make of this list.

Gilbert played almost exclusively at Left Guard. He has a pertty good kick slide but comes off the ball real slow...so I dont think he will play Tackle as a pro unless he can be coached-up on the right side. He will probably be a 2nd-3rd round pick.

Carpenter doesnt have the proto-typical size or the foot work to be a NFL tackle. Like Gilbert, he slides well but has stiff hips and is late getting off the ball. He "might" be able to play on the right side but is a better fit inside as an offensive guard. Also a 2nd -3rd round prospect.

King isnt even on my draft board.....waist bender...slow feet...poor hand placement...and character issues. He has been arrested for trespassing, theft, and assault.

stillers4me
04-04-2011, 04:53 PM
The Steelers will entertain two elite prospects today as they prepare for this month’s NFL Draft.

The team plans on talking with both a highly rated defensive end and offensive guard.

California defensive End Cameron Jordan will be on the South Side talking with Mike Tomlin and company.

Jordan recorded 51 tackles and six sacks for the Golden Bears last season.
With Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith aging, Jordan could be a guy the Steelers consider drafting.
Another area the team needs help is on the offensive line and drafting a lineman early could be another option.

Florida State center-guard Rodney Hudson will also interview with the team............

Read more @
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/04/04/steelers-host-nfl-draft-prospects/

7willBheaven
04-07-2011, 08:41 PM
I remember Pettis being mentioned on the main board but not here (i think)...but heres some more from the PG.

They are wide receiver Austin Pettis of Boise State, running back Da'rel Scott of Maryland, cornerback Cortez Allen of The Citadel and cornerback Ras-I Dowling of the University of Virginia.

In addition, at least one more prospect will visit on Friday -- Auburn defensive tackle Zach Clayton.

Chidi29
04-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Have had my eye on this guy for awhile and though it doesn't look like we've brough him in for a private workout, we showed a ton of interest in him at his Pro Day.

DT Frank Kearse of Alabama A&M.

Guy that came to college as an offensive lineman. Moved to defensive tackle because the team needed some big bodies along the defensive line. He had a tough time adjusting, as to be expected, but got into the film room and studied some previously successful players from the school.

He had weight issues, recognized them, and shed them so he could play more snaps. Really paid off for him with a strong senior season, racking up 57 tackles and 14 TFL.

One of our top scouts had this to say at his workout,

“Frank has the size and ability to play professional football,” said Mark Gorscak of the Pittsburgh Steelers. “He is explosive and impressive. His game tape and resume has earned him the recognition.” - Alabama A&M football

Gorscak worked Kearse out individually at his Pro Day. I remember hearing about Kirby Wilson working with Frank Summers at his Pro Day.

Just someone to keep in mind in the later rounds who could out to the five technique. Currently have him going in the seventh ruond to the Jets.

Chidi29
04-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I remember Pettis being mentioned on the main board but not here (i think)...but heres some more from the PG.

They are wide receiver Austin Pettis of Boise State, running back Da'rel Scott of Maryland, cornerback Cortez Allen of The Citadel and cornerback Ras-I Dowling of the University of Virginia.

In addition, at least one more prospect will visit on Friday -- Auburn defensive tackle Zach Clayton.

Thanks man.

7willBheaven
04-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Have had my eye on this guy for awhile and though it doesn't look like we've brough him in for a private workout, we showed a ton of interest in him at his Pro Day.

DT Frank Kearse of Alabama A&M.

Guy that came to college as an offensive lineman. Moved to defensive tackle because the team needed some big bodies along the defensive line. He had a tough time adjusting, as to be expected, but got into the film room and studied some previously successful players from the school.

He had weight issues, recognized them, and shed them so he could play more snaps. Really paid off for him with a strong senior season, racking up 57 tackles and 14 TFL.

One of our top scouts had this to say at his workout,

“Frank has the size and ability to play professional football,” said Mark Gorscak of the Pittsburgh Steelers. “He is explosive and impressive. His game tape and resume has earned him the recognition.” - Alabama A&M football

Gorscak worked Kearse out individually at his Pro Day. I remember hearing about Kirby Wilson working with Frank Summers at his Pro Day.

Just someone to keep in mind in the later rounds who could out to the five technique. Currently have him going in the seventh ruond to the Jets.

We're getting bigger and bigger at DE arent we? Could he play NT? Maybe with a few more pounds?

Chidi29
04-08-2011, 10:33 AM
We're getting bigger and bigger at DE arent we? Could he play NT? Maybe with a few more pounds?

Nah, I think his size is perfect. A lot of times we'll take undersized tackles, have them put on a few pounds (They're probably at 290 or 300) and kick them out to end. I bet Keisel and Smith are around that weight, they just are listed a little lighter because there's no reason to be entirely accurate about the heights/weights. Just update them once every five years.

Kearse is a little tall to play NT, too, in my view.

Steelersfan
04-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Have had my eye on this guy for awhile and though it doesn't look like we've brough him in for a private workout, we showed a ton of interest in him at his Pro Day. DT Frank Kearse of Alabama A&M.

If this is correct he and Johnny Patrick will be in to visit to the Steelers:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2011/04/three-more-visitors.html

7willBheaven
04-08-2011, 02:23 PM
I dont think he's too tall...theres a lot of NTs that are 6'2-6'4. While Casey is only 6'1 and such it doesnt mean they all have to be that small. But being 6'4 he would need a little more weight on him i think...10-15 pounds or so...and he could make a decent NT. I've seen a few sites that have him listed as being a NT prospect. I'd rather have a DE whos taller and maybe even a little bit lighter.

Chidi29
04-08-2011, 03:04 PM
I dont think he's too tall...theres a lot of NTs that are 6'2-6'4. While Casey is only 6'1 and such it doesnt mean they all have to be that small. But being 6'4 he would need a little more weight on him i think...10-15 pounds or so...and he could make a decent NT. I've seen a few sites that have him listed as being a NT prospect. I'd rather have a DE whos taller and maybe even a little bit lighter.

Yes, there are nose tackles taller than Hampton but most are listed in the 6'2 range. Wilfork, Franklin, Rubin, Gregg, all are listed at 6'2 (which probably means they're more like 6'1 1/2) or shorter.

Plus, Kearse dropped weight because he felt like when he was heavier, his conditioning wasn't as good. He looks like a hard worker but may have a bit of a weight issue. Nfldraftscout calls him a 365 pound senior at one point. I don't want to ask the guy to balloon up and not be able to keep his weight in check.

Chidi29
04-08-2011, 03:05 PM
If this is correct he and Johnny Patrick will be in to visit to the Steelers:

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2011/04/three-more-visitors.html

Awesome. I'd love to get Patrick in the mid-rounds. Perfect fit.

Texasteel
04-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Awesome. I'd love to get Patrick in the mid-rounds. Perfect fit.

I liked Patrick. Was a climber until the combine, I think a case of the combine being over valued. The kid does have talent and knows how to play. Might be a case of a better fit as FS.

Chidi29
04-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I liked Patrick. Was a climber until the combine, I think a case of the combine being over valued. The kid does have talent and knows how to play. Might be a case of a better fit as FS.

Lack of speed won't hurt him in our zone. His hips are fluid and he can turn and run without a hitch. The slower 40 time doesn't show up on tape.

7willBheaven
04-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Yes, there are nose tackles taller than Hampton but most are listed in the 6'2 range. Wilfork, Franklin, Rubin, Gregg, all are listed at 6'2 (which probably means they're more like 6'1 1/2) or shorter.

Plus, Kearse dropped weight because he felt like when he was heavier, his conditioning wasn't as good. He looks like a hard worker but may have a bit of a weight issue. Nfldraftscout calls him a 365 pound senior at one point. I don't want to ask the guy to balloon up and not be able to keep his weight in check.

Haloti Ngata is 6'4" (plus others)...while he does play DE some...he also plays NT and is a beast. I'm not saying this guy balloon up to 350+...just in the 320-330 range and I think he could manage that. Shoot if he can play NT at his current weight...fine...haha.

The Duke
04-09-2011, 12:02 AM
What about kenrick ellis? he's 6'5

I am not too fond of NTs over 6'2 either, but when motivated Ellis has been unstoppable imo, and as a 3rd round pick I wouldn't mind him

Chidi29
04-09-2011, 12:45 AM
What about kenrick ellis? he's 6'5

I am not too fond of NTs over 6'2 either, but when motivated Ellis has been unstoppable imo, and as a 3rd round pick I wouldn't mind him

Good point on Ellis. I have watched him enough times though to know he does a good job with leverage that it shouldn't be an issue in the NFL. And he already has the weight without the weight issues Kearse has.

LLT
04-12-2011, 09:14 AM
2011 Visits

- Cortez Allen, CB, Citadel (6-1, 197, 4.50, No. 19, R4-5)
- Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia (6-1, 198, 4.40, No. 6, R2)
- Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State (6-3, 209, 4.56, No. 17, R4-5)
- Da’rel Scott, RB, Maryland (5-11, 211, 4.40, No. 18, R5-6)
- Cameron Jordan, DE, California (6-4, 287, 4.74, No. 3, R1)
- Rodney Hudson, C/G, Florida St. (6-2, 299, 5.27, No. 1 center, R2)
- James Carpenter, T, Alabama (6-4, 321, 5.22, No. 7, R2)
- Marcus Gilbert, T, Florida (6-6, 330, 5.41, No. 10, R3-4)
- Jarriel King, T, South Carolina (6-5, 317, 5.03, No. 24, R7-FA)
- Kenrick Ellis, DT, Hampton (6-5, 346, 5.19, No. 9, R2-3)
- Mario Harvey ILB, Marshall ( 5-11, 250, 4.42 No. 13, R7-FA)

(Pittsburgh Panthers)
- Jon Baldwin, WR (6-4, 228, 4.49, No. 7, R2)
- Jason Pinkston, T (6-3, 317, 5.39, No. 11, R3-4)
- Dion Lewis, RB (5-7, 193, 4.56, No. 2, R6-7)
- Henry Hynoski, FB (6-0, 257, 5.06, No. 4, R5-6)
- Jabaal Sheard, DE (6-3, 264, 4.68, No. 9, R1-2)
- Greg Romeus, DE (6-5, 264, 4.79, No. 14, R4)
- Dom DiCicco, SS (6-3, 232, 4.64, No. 10, R7)

*players listed with height,weight,forty time,rank at position, and projected round they will be drafted

stillers4me
04-16-2011, 09:36 AM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/362418918/meandsammy_003_normal.jpg
jimwexell (http://twitter.com/#!/jimwexell) James C Wexell

Steelers to host Abilene Christian WR Edmund Gates early next week. Raw, skinny, 25-year-old 'vertical terror' is 5-11.6, 192, late 3rd rder

steelerfan
04-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Aaron Williams coming in:

Steelers | Aaron Williams visiting (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=707680-steelers-aaron-williams-visiting)
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:14:59 -0700
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) are meeting with University of Texas CB Aaron Williams (http://www.kffl.com/player/14422/nfl/aaron-williams) Wednesday, April 20, according to Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

And my source was right, as was LLT, Vincent Brown in, as well as two others.

Steelers | Meeting with three draft prospects (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=707681-steelers-meeting-with-three-draft-prospects)
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:22:51 -0700
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) are meeting with San Diego State WR Vincent Brown (http://www.kffl.com/player/24037/nfl/vincent-brown), South Carolina TE Weslye Saunders (http://www.kffl.com/player/24271/nfl/weslye-saunders) and Virginia Tech S Davon Morgan (http://www.kffl.com/player/24430/nfl/davon-morgan) Wednesday, April 20, according

steelerfan
04-20-2011, 12:46 PM
And as it goes to the TE, Saunders, I wonder why he is coming in, I got this from Draft scout

04/01/11 - Weslye Saunders' road to the NFL has encountered yet another speed bump with the NFL Network reporting the former South Carolina tight end will undergo surgery to have a pin inserted into his fractured foot Friday. This type of surgery typically takes six to eight weeks to recover from

st33lersguy
04-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Steelers | Aaron Williams visiting (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=707680-steelers-aaron-williams-visiting)
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) are meeting with University of Texas CB Aaron Williams (http://www.kffl.com/player/14422/nfl/aaron-williams) Wednesday, April 20, according to Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

I saw Aaron Williams in game changers and he was impressive. He has great ball skills and he can cover. If he is available at pick 31 the Steelers have no need to trade down because he is worth the pick

steelerfan
04-20-2011, 04:43 PM
I saw Aaron Williams in game changers and he was impressive. He has great ball skills and he can cover. If he is available at pick 31 the Steelers have no need to trade down because he is worth the pick

I watch alot of Texas games. And as good as a Ball defender that Williams can be at times. He also gets fooled on double moves. And he has bad hands as it goes to picking off balls....another Ike Taylor ( Hands wise )...and he
is not a great tackler either. More of a finess player. If he is 100 % clear of his senior injuries, Ras I Dowling is a way better CB prospect then Aaron Williams. But with that said, there is no real 1st round value at 31 at the CB spot. So I don't think Pittsburgh will draft a CB there.

Tilley
04-20-2011, 07:36 PM

And my source was right, as was LLT, Vincent Brown in, as well as two others.

Steelers | Meeting with three draft prospects (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/gnews.php?id=707681-steelers-meeting-with-three-draft-prospects)
Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:22:51 -0700
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers) are meeting with San Diego State WR Vincent Brown (http://www.kffl.com/player/24037/nfl/vincent-brown), South Carolina TE Weslye Saunders (http://www.kffl.com/player/24271/nfl/weslye-saunders) and Virginia Tech S Davon Morgan (http://www.kffl.com/player/24430/nfl/davon-morgan) Wednesday, April 20, according

I have watched alot of Morgan if we can land him then that would be great I would also be happy to land a shut down corner in the first then go from there. I have a great feeling for us coming out of this draft.

steelerfan
04-20-2011, 09:04 PM
I have watched alot of Morgan if we can land him then that would be great I would also be happy to land a shut down corner in the first then go from there. I have a great feeling for us coming out of this draft.

Davon was a 1 year player at VT this season. He is nothing more the a camp invite. Strictly a UFA.

steelerdude15
04-20-2011, 11:00 PM
If we could pick up Greg Romeus in the 3rd or 4th round, I'd be happy with that. I'd love to see a Pitt player staying in Pittsburgh.

steelerfan
04-20-2011, 11:18 PM
If we could pick up Greg Romeus in the 3rd or 4th round, I'd be happy with that. I'd love to see a Pitt player staying in Pittsburgh.

Where would he play ? He is too tall and light to ever be a DE in our 3-4. And he will never be a OLB. However, on a side note, I saw him in a Interview, and I think he said that he turns 23 on the second day of the draft. So maybe someone will make it a Happy Birthday for him, and select him in round 2 or 3 :-)

7willBheaven
04-21-2011, 01:47 AM
Where would he play ? He is too tall and light to ever be a DE in our 3-4. And he will never be a OLB. However, on a side note, I saw him in a Interview, and I think he said that he turns 23 on the second day of the draft. So maybe someone will make it a Happy Birthday for him, and select him in round 2 or 3 :-)

He's not too tall to play DE in a 3-4....6'6"/270lbs...Smith and Keisel are 6'5...Keisel weighs 285. 270 isnt bad...and he could probably put on a few more pounds. A lot of 3-4 DEs are around the 6'4 - 6'7 range...there are some shorter guys out there but thats the average size for a 3-4 DE. Thats why shorter (and generally lighter) guys that might be DEs in college have to switch to OLB in a 3-4 and a lot of times DTs in college are bigger and switch to DE in a 3-4 (there are some DEs in college that fit the 3-4 DE in the pros too of course). But you are right I think he could be too big to be a 3-4 OLB...but DE he could.

Now his teammate Sheard could be a 3-4 OLB but not a 3-4 DE.

Now I'm not saying they need to draft these guys/etc...

Texasteel
04-21-2011, 07:13 AM
He's not too tall to play DE in a 3-4....6'6"/270lbs...Smith and Keisel are 6'5...Keisel weighs 285. 270 isnt bad...and he could probably put on a few more pounds. A lot of 3-4 DEs are around the 6'4 - 6'7 range...there are some shorter guys out there but thats the average size for a 3-4 DE. Thats why shorter (and generally lighter) guys that might be DEs in college have to switch to OLB in a 3-4 and a lot of times DTs in college are bigger and switch to DE in a 3-4 (there are some DEs in college that fit the 3-4 DE in the pros too of course). But you are right I think he could be too big to be a 3-4 OLB...but DE he could.

Now his teammate Sheard could be a 3-4 OLB but not a 3-4 DE.

Now I'm not saying they need to draft these guys/etc...

I like Sheard for us as a OLB, but he falls into that growing group of players we all seem to like, not wanting to take him at 31, but knowing he will not make it to us at 63.

Trading down seems to be the only real answer.

7willBheaven
04-21-2011, 12:49 PM
I like Sheard for us as a OLB, but he falls into that growing group of players we all seem to like, not wanting to take him at 31, but knowing he will not make it to us at 63.

Trading down seems to be the only real answer.

Yeah he could be good...but I wouldnt want to spend a 1-3rd pick on him...and he's graded a 2-3 most places. A lot round LB i wouldnt care, but another high rounder (when they took a 2nd and 4th last yr) would just be a waste in my eyes.

Chidi29
04-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Romeus had back and ACL injuries last year.

I wouldn't touch him until the fifth round at the earliest.

steelerfan
04-21-2011, 02:35 PM

As I stated, Romeus is not a 3-4 guy. He is a legit 6ft, 5 without shoes, so 6ft, 6, and he never played at 270. But 264 Lbs. He didn't run or lift at Indy. And, Romeus is NOT a true " Pittsburgh " guy. He played at Pitt. But he is not a Pittsburgh guy. He is from Florida. If you want a TRUE Pittsburgh guy...from the school of Pittsburgh,,,then why not Jon Baldwin :-) He's was born and raised in the Pittsburgh area :-)

7willBheaven
04-21-2011, 03:27 PM
As I stated, Romeus is not a 3-4 guy. He is a legit 6ft, 5 without shoes, so 6ft, 6, and he never played at 270. But 264 Lbs. He didn't run or lift at Indy. And, Romeus is NOT a true " Pittsburgh " guy. He played at Pitt. But he is not a Pittsburgh guy. He is from Florida. If you want a TRUE Pittsburgh guy...from the school of Pittsburgh,,,then why not Jon Baldwin :-) He's was born and raised in the Pittsburgh area :-)

But this is only one guys opinion...albeit an opinion that may no be realistic but an opinion nonetheless. Also its kinda obvious he didnt do much at the combine because he had surgery...either way i still think your wrong....as I stated in my reply above.

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2011, 04:49 AM
official visits list

(as best determined via collation of info from numerous sites)

Cannot gaurantee that this is the official list, but it is the best that I can determine

1 - CB - Cortez Allen - Citadel (round 5 -6)
2 - CB - Ras-I Dowling - Virginia (round 2)
3 - CB - Curtis Brown - Texas (round 2 - 3)
4 - CB - Curtis Marsh - Utah St (round 4-5)
5 - CB - Buster Skrine - Tennessee-Chattanooga ( round 3 -4)
6 - CB - Johnny Patrick - Lousiville (round 2 - 3)
7 - CB - Aaron Williams - Texas ( round 1 - 2)

8 - OT - Jarriel King - South Carolina ( round 7 - UDFA)
9 - OT - James Carpenter - Alabama (round 2 -3)
10 - OT - Marcus Gilbert - Florida ( round 2 -4)
11 - OT - Marcus Cannon - TCU (round 2)

12 - OG - Keith Williams - Nebraska ( round 6 -7 )
13 - OG - Rodney Hudson - Florida State ( round 2)

14 - WR - Austin Pettis - Boise State (rounds 4 - 6)
15 - WR - Greg Little - North Carolina ( Round 3-4)
16 - WR - Denarius Moore - Tennessee ( rounds 4-6)
17 - WR - Edmund Gates - Aberline Christian ( Round 2-3)
18 - WR - Vincent Brown - SDSU ( rounds 5 - 6)

19 - RB - Da'rel Scott - Maryland (round 5 -6)
20 - RB - Taiwan Jones - Eastern Washington ( round 3- 4)

21 - TE - Julius Thomas - Portland State ( round 5-6)
22 - TE - Weslye Saunders - South Carolina ( round 7 - UDFA)

23 - NT - Kenrdick Ellis - Hampton ( Round 2-3)
24 - NT - Phil Taylor - Baylor ( round 1)
25 - NT - Frank Kearse - Alabama A&M ( round 7 - UDFA)
26 - NT - Anthony Gray - Southern Miss (round 7 - UDFA)

27 - DE - Zack Clayton - Auburn (round 7 - UDFA)
28 - DE - Cameron Jordan - California ( round 1)

29 - ILB - Mario Harvey - Marshall ( round 6 - UDFA)

30 - S - Davon Morgan - Virginia Tech ( UDFA)

Local visits

WR - Jon Baldwin - Pitt ( round 2)
DE - Jabaal Sheard - Pitt ( round 2)
DE - Greg Romeus - Pitt (round 4)
FB - Henry Hynoski - Pitt ( round 6 -7)
RB - Dion Lewis - Pitt ( round 7 - UDFA)
OT - Jason Pinkston - Pitt ( round 3-4)
S - Dom DiCicco - Pitt ( round 7 - UDFA)

Texasteel
04-22-2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks Aussie I missed the Steelers bringing in Taiwan Jones. I like the kid but didn't think we would take a RB in the 3rd. You never know.

Aussie_steeler
04-22-2011, 06:19 AM
Thanks Aussie I missed the Steelers bringing in Taiwan Jones. I like the kid but didn't think we would take a RB in the 3rd. You never know.

I like Jordan Todman in the 3rd. I think he is going to make a great RB in the pro's

My Sleeper RB is

Mario Fannin, Auburn
5'10 230lbs

RB / FB who can run, catch and block.

Runs a 4.37 40 and reportedly the steelers have shown some interest. ( http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-draft-rumors-7383.html )

Aussie_steeler
05-03-2011, 05:38 AM
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/05/former-texas-tech-running-back-baron-bat-1.html

Ex-Texas Tech running back Baron Batch was drafted No. 232 overall in the seventh round of the NFL draft by head coach Mike Tomlin and the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The truth was Batch wanted to play NFL football in Pittsburgh regardless, writes Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. (http://www.redraiders.com/2011/04/30/steelers-draft-batch-in-seventh-round/)

"I'm excited about it," Batch told Williams. "When I went up there on my visit, it was definitely my favorite team, the team I wanted to go to. You can't really come out and say that. Through the process, you've got to be as unbiased as possible, because you never know who's going to get you.

"But I was really hoping it would work out where they would either draft me or I could go there as a free agent."
According to Williams, Batch received phone calls from the Jacksonville Jaguars and Indianapolis Colts regarding Batch signing free agency contracts before Tomlin called him.

Two very interesting post draft issues for me

1. Baron Batch snuck into Pittsburgh for a visit without it being reported??? I wonder if this was an official visit

2. Interesting that teams were contacting possible UDFA's in the midst of the final round. In the post draft press conference by Tomlin and Colbert they highlighted that they now had more time to evaluate the UDFA's and would be able to make a more informed call. Unlike other years where a mad scramble ensued towards the end of the 7th round. I am guessing that once Baron Batch was selected they used the rest of the alloted draft time to contact the possible UDFA's whilst the communication window was open. I believe that they have pre-organised a set of UDFA's who are now awaiting contact once a new CBA is in place.

Texasteel
05-03-2011, 07:02 AM
Good call Aussie. I would think that during the 6th and 7th rounds someone was on the phone none stop just breaking the ice with the kids we were interested in as UDFA. Only make good sense. This could also mean that teams used that 6th or 7th pick on a kids they would have normally tried to get as a UDFA.

tube517
09-07-2015, 10:39 AM
I like Jordan Todman in the 3rd. I think he is going to make a great RB in the pro's

My Sleeper RB is

Mario Fannin, Auburn
5'10 230lbs

RB / FB who can run, catch and block.

Runs a 4.37 40 and reportedly the steelers have shown some interest. ( http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-draft-rumors-7383.html )

Todman had 25 catches last year and started one game. Maybe the next MeMo?

http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Jordan-Todman/7dc9f3ff-042f-41d9-b940-c1daffa4b9d8