PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rooney "poorest" NFL owner according to Sports Illustrated.

zulater
03-13-2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.sportsillustratedeverywhere.com/issues/protected/com.timeinc.si.web.inapp.03142011/a-tale-of-two-sides-5141.html

1. Paul Allen, Seahawks $12.9B
2. Stephen M. Ross, Dolphins $3.3B
3. Malcolm Glazer, Buccaneers $2.4B
4. Stan Kroenke, Rams $2.2B
5. Jerry Jones, Cowboys $1.9B
6. Arthur M. Blank, Falcons $1.45B
27. Zygi Wilf, Vikings $310M
28. Al Davis, Raiders $310M
29. John Mara, Giants** $240M
30. Virginia Halas McCaskey, Bears $200M
31. Steve Tisch, Giants** $170M
32. Dan Rooney, Steelers $150M

*Packers not included due to public ownership

salamander
03-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Yet he has the most championships.

Borski
03-13-2011, 06:55 PM
If the packers are not included how are the Steelers listed #32?

steeldevil
03-13-2011, 07:00 PM

Because 2 guys are listed for the Giants. Why? I don't know.

zulater
03-13-2011, 07:01 PM

They have two seperate owners for the Giants listed.

Count Steeler
03-13-2011, 07:06 PM
I can't read the link. Is that a list of net worth?

zulater
03-13-2011, 07:11 PM
I can't read the link. Is that a list of net worth?

OWNERS

NET WORTH $1.4 BILLION

That's the average for the NFL's 32 private majority owners.* The rankings below, compiled by leading wealth intelligence firm Wealth-X, list the six richest and six poorest (relatively speaking), based on assets from all sources.

I copied and pasted pretty much how it appears in the magazine.

XxKnightxX
03-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Hahaha jerry jones is as much as his jerrahworld. Don't put ur eggs all into one basket and then claim poverty. And Paul Allen is the Seahawks owner? That's a shock that guy is the unsung hero of Bill Gates success

Chidi29
03-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Looks like a pretty solid correlation between money and teams that are the oldest in franchise history and run by a certain family, the Maras for the Giants and the Rooney's for us.

Craic
03-13-2011, 08:18 PM
What is more fascinating, is this list.
Steelers- 6SB's
Giants, 3SB's
Raiders 3SB's
Bears 1 SB

Total 10 SB's.

Seahawks, 0 SB's
Dolphins 2 SB's
Tampa 1 SB
Rams 1 SB
Cowboys 5 SB's
total 9 SB's.

And, It's evenly split-money does NOT buy success.

Now, when you remove the SB's won buy teams before the rich owners got there-- that removes 3 of the cowboys SB's. Which means it is 10-6.
Don't forget the Packers, which only cleared 9.8 Million (puts them in the poor camp), that is three more for a 13-6 (Since Giants are listed twice, I added the Packers back in.)
So in honesty, being poor in the NFL seems to equate to more titles. Probably because you stick with what you have, don't make a lot of changes, and simply follow your plan-Heck, even the Raiders did that in a way, before owner went nutters.

st33lersguy
03-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Money doesn't buy you championships, good drafting and smart personnel moves do. It was also funny not seeing Dan Snyder in the top 6. Must he because he spends it all on overrated free agents

fansince'76
03-14-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm assuming that doesn't take into account the massive amount of debt incurred by Dan and Art II ($250 million) back in 2008 when they were forced to restructure the ownership of the team(?)

SteelerEmpire
03-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Oh yea. This was well known "years" ago. Why do you think the Steelers were not a very good team until the 1970 NFL-AFL merger ? ...because the Rooney's did not have the money to obtain/keep a quality staff of coach's and players. The team had to 1-merge with the Eagles at one time just to stay alive, 2-had to get players from the local manufacturing community to complete the roster bec. they couldn't afford top talent, 3- had to practice in a fair grounds parking lot all the way into the 1960's, and STILL TIL THIS DAY is known for not paying his players that much...

Bluecoat96
03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Oh yea. This was well known "years" ago. Why do you think the Steelers were not a very good team until the 1970 NFL-AFL merger ? ...because the Rooney's did not have the money to obtain/keep a quality staff of coach's and players. The team had to 1-merge with the Eagles at one time just to stay alive, 2-had to get players from the local manufacturing community to complete the roster bec. they couldn't afford top talent, 3- had to practice in a fair grounds parking lot all the way into the 1960's, and STILL TIL THIS DAY is known for not paying his players that much...

Ahh...the old, "Rooneys are cheap" argument....how I've missed it. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Steelers become successful in the 70's because of the Chief turning the reigns over to his sons, who helped to hire Knoll and revamped the scouting and drafting? And as always...if the Rooneys are so cheap, then why have they always been right up against the salary cap year in and year out?

Chidi29
03-14-2011, 03:03 PM

Not the case. Money was of course tough to come by in the early years as it was for any team starting out, especially during the thirties and fourties.

We had to merge because of a lack of roster because of the war. Not because we couldn't afford the top talent. There wasn't any top talent. It was a tough time for all teams during the war. Obviously, the Eagles had to merge with us too because of a shortage in players. Every team felt the effect of wartime football.

We did hand out money to players. Whizzer White is commonly believed to be the first "big money" player to ever play the game, not wanting to play in the NFL until we paid him $15000 for a season.

The big issue was bad choices with coaching and poor drafting. Art Rooney preferred to choose coaches he liked and was friends with. Not because of money but because of his "family" philosophy. Everything was done in-house. The Steelers had trouble evolving. Be it from the Single Wing, we were the last team to have it as everyone else went with the T formation, to making the move to the 4-3 (Dan Rooney having to tell Art to change to combat the Cleveland Browns), and the "three yards and a cloud of dust offense" that Buddy Parker so stubbornly kept with Fran Rogel despite how ineffective it was. Leading to the chants of "Hey diddle diddle, Rogel up the middle" and the story of us finally throwing on first down in a game, scoring an eighty yard touchdown, having it called back on a penalty, and then running up the middle for a yard on the next play.

And we did get top coaches. Or at least who we thought would be top coaches. Jock Sutherland was a great college coach. And there was the Aldo Donelli mess; a successful coach at Duquense who tried to coach both teams at the same time. Obviously didn't produce.

Drafting wasn't successful either. Never had much in the form of solid picks. A here few or there but that's going to happen based on pure numbers and odds. The most infamous pick being Gary Glick who we drafted because of Buddy Parker's stubborn attitude (also cutting star runner and returner Lynn Chadnois just to prove no one was irreplaceable and the man who once cut multiple players after a preseason loss to the Browns before the players even left the locker room). The Glick pick was on the advice of the team's coach without us knowing anything else about the player or watching him at all.

Clearly there were a lot of issues with the team in its first fourty years. But looking at what made us successful, good coaching and even better draft classes, money was not part of the equation.

Craic
03-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Ahh...the old, "Rooneys are cheap" argument....how I've missed it. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Steelers become successful in the 70's because of the Chief turning the reigns over to his sons, who helped to hire Knoll and revamped the scouting and drafting? And as always...if the Rooneys are so cheap, then why have they always been right up against the salary cap year in and year out?

Bingo.

I think the bigger reason that the Steelers lost so many games all those years, is because the chief liked to choose his coaches based on who would go to the track to gamble with him, just as much or more than who would actually be a good coach. That's why Dan Rooney made such a difference. "Going to the track" wasn't part of the interview process. :chuckle:

BigNastyDefense
03-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Also, the biggest reason Dan Rooney is the "poorest" owner in the NFL is because his only business is the Pittsburgh Steelers. He didn't buy the team after making millions or billions of dollars. He doesn't have a business that he runs where the Steelers are more of a side business. He was born into the business of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

tube517
03-15-2011, 11:07 PM
I just had a massive chest pain. :old: :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
03-16-2011, 06:36 AM
I just had a massive chest pain. :old: :chuckle:

God I suck. I can't believe I missed that spelling.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Does anyone know the total amount paid out for every 2010-2011 player contract (ie. combined total for all NFL players paid out by ownership)? Thanks!

Coffeecold
02-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Does anyone know the total amount paid out for every 2010-2011 player contract (ie. combined total for all NFL players paid out by ownership)?
Thanks!

There was a report on CNN the other day about the sum total of combined player contracts in 2011 for a number of NFL teams, and I'm fairly sure the Steelers was one of the teams mentioned...I'll see if I can find a copy of the report and PM you a link!

ALLD
02-04-2012, 11:30 AM
I bet any of those billionaires would trade places with Rooney just to have a real shot at winning a SB. Some things are more important than $ when you reach a certain age.

ShutDown24
02-04-2012, 11:43 AM
I guess that's why the Rooneys are so cheap :lol:

GBMelBlount
02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
I wonder if they get food stamps

zulater
02-04-2012, 03:45 PM
I wonder if they get food stamps

I hear Dan and Art are going to Occupy Indy tomorrow. Down with the 1%'ers. ! :chuckle:

fansince'76
02-04-2012, 03:49 PM
I bet any of those billionaires would trade places with Rooney just to have a real shot at winning a SB. Some things are more important than $ when you reach a certain age.

That would require them to swallow their egos, hire a real GM and stop playing real life Fantasy Football (looking right at you, Jerrah and Danny-Boy).

Psycho Ward 86
02-04-2012, 08:24 PM
what a bum :chuckle:

suitanim
02-05-2012, 08:01 AM
I wonder what the worth was BEFORE the new stadium?

steelerdude15
02-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Hey, we're one of the most successful teams in the NFL, I'll take it.

Butch
02-05-2012, 10:10 AM
As for Jerry he's not about winnin' he's about the show. He does what he thinks will put butts in seats and for what it's worth he does it. Hell he even got "Go To Hell" to let him charge fans to watch the game outside the stadium?!?!?! Funny thing is people paid :doh:.

I also think it's funny how many cowboy fans are already wanting to run garret outta town after only running the team one season. To his credit Jerry didn't pull the trigger just yet.

BigNastyDefense
02-06-2012, 12:16 PM
The Rooneys are one of the few NFL owners who's wealth has come basically just from their football team.

Yes, Art III is a lawyer, but most of his wealth has come from being in the Rooney ownership of the Steelers. His father's wealth has come just from owning the Steelers.

Other owners like Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, Paul Allen, Stephen Ross, Robert Kraft....they all obtained their wealth outside of football and then they bought into NFL ownership.

I just noticed that the owners at the bottom of that list not only just won the most recent Super Bowl, they are also mostly the ones who's wealth has come via ownership of an NFL franchise (Mara/Tisch, Giants; Al Davis, Raiders; Halas McCaskey, Bears; Dan Rooney, Steelers).

SteelGhost
02-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Thank God we have the "poorest", BUT the smarter, only SIX rings baby:tt02: