PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Round Pick Emmanuel Sanders Signed By The Pittsburgh Steelers

LLT
06-14-2010, 06:20 PM
3rd Round Pick Emmanuel Sanders Signed By The Pittsburgh Steelers
by Frank Mineo (DYMS) on Jun 14, 2010 6:41 PM EDT 2 comments

According to a reliable source, the Pittsburgh Steelers have signed Emmanuel Sanders today to a contract. The contract is rumored to be for three years and in the range of about two million dollars. Sanders himself is the reliable source after posting on his twitter account the following:

Sanders is a speedster who posted some exceptional numbers during his time at small school Southern Methodist, posting 958 yards and nine touchdown in ten games last season, even if they were posted in June Jones somewhat unorthodox offense. If Sanders is able to have even a small portion of the impact that last years third round pick, Mike Wallace, was able to produce it would surely help lessen the impact of trading away Santonio Holmes this off-season for a bag of rice. Cheers to the newest Steeler, Emmanuel Sanders.
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/6/14/1518035/3rd-round-pick-emmanuel-sanders

BlastFurnace
06-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Good...because we really need one of our young receivers to step in and play well this season. Good to see he is signed. I have high hopes for he and Brown.

SMR
06-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Freakin' fantastic!!

ALLD
06-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Could be the next JOHN Stallworth coming from a small school and everything. Good thing he took the deal because Antonio Brown is already breathing down his neck.

We might hit a speed bump this season because of all the controversy, but we should be primed for the future provided we stay healthy. The only comparison might be the 1972 Dolphins when Errol Morral stepped in for Griese. However, they had a few decent RBs named Csonka, Kiick, and Mercury Morris. I don't remember the name of anybody on defense.

LLT
06-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Good...because we really need one of our young receivers to step in and play well this season. Good to see he is signed. I have high hopes for he and Brown.

Me too. I would love for him to pan out as well as Wallace did.

GoSlash27
06-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Just checked out his highlights ( I don't follow college ball beyond Hawkeye games).
Looks like he's got good hands.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Glad we got him inked.

By the way, is it just me or do the signings seem to happening in a weird order this year? In past past seasons it seemed like we followed a pattern of last to first. Maybe not?

Nadroj 20
06-14-2010, 07:25 PM
This is great news...looking foward to watching him play

Killer
06-14-2010, 07:30 PM
What's with these 3 year contracts?

One year now - then 2 with no football during the holdout and we have to resign him?

steelpride12
06-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Good to see the kid signed and we have some young talent coming from the wide receiver position. I like his speed and his hands like a younger Mike Wallace, I hope in the future he pans out to be a worthy pick!

Texasteel
06-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Just checked out his highlights ( I don't follow college ball beyond Hawkeye games).
Looks like he's got good hands.

In this case I was lucky to live in Dallas, and got to see him. He can run after the catch, and I think will surprise you with some of his down feild blocks. I can wait till TC.

The Duke
06-14-2010, 08:06 PM
If Sanders is able to have even a small portion of the impact that last years third round pick, Mike Wallace, was able to produce it would surely help lessen the impact of trading away Santonio Holmes this off-season for a bag of rice.

I sure hope so

With a better commitment to the run the #3 receiver won't be needed as much as last year. If he becomes the 3rd receiver over El I'll be happy. I love El, but it would be great if we didn't NEED him

Time for the young guys to step up. That's counting antonio brown and hopefully tyler grisham too

Pi Kapp Steeler
06-14-2010, 08:12 PM
As long as he can catch the hard/bad throws, im ok with this kid

Chidi29
06-14-2010, 09:03 PM

One year now - then 2 with no football during the holdout and we have to resign him?

A three year deal is the norm for these guys. In times of uncertainty it's best to keep things as normal as possible.

A lockout isn't a definite anyway.

Devilsdancefloor
06-14-2010, 09:13 PM
great news! I cant wait to see him play!

Psycho Ward 86
06-14-2010, 09:27 PM
'Colonel' Sanders...

Is it too soon for nicknames?

Prok
06-14-2010, 09:38 PM
I just had an exchange with him on Twitter.

Prok2 @Esanders88 Welcome to the best team in the league! No need tellin' ya you have huge assed shoes 2 fill with #88. lol

Esanders88 @Prok2 - no doubt there's huge shoes to fill. I've been watching film of Swann to see how he was so great. I can't wait to ball out!!!!!!

:D :D

tube517
06-14-2010, 09:39 PM
They were known as the No Name Defense !

Could be the next JOHN Stallworth coming from a small school and everything. Good thing he took the deal because Antonio Brown is already breathing down his neck.

We might hit a speed bump this season because of all the controversy, but we should be primed for the future provided we stay healthy. The only comparison might be the 1972 Dolphins when Errol Morral stepped in for Griese. However, they had a few decent RBs named Csonka, Kiick, and Mercury Morris. I don't remember the name of anybody on defense.

SteelerSal
06-14-2010, 10:10 PM
I have a feeling that Santonio will be quickly forgotten early in the season when our young recieving corps steps up and produces!!

Chidi29
06-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I question whether or not he'll make an impact as a receiver right away. I remember him saying that his route running was very raw and the Shrine game was one of his first times experiencing the entire route tree. A spread offense will do that to a player. His return capibility could be huge this year if he beats out Logan.

Nationalfootballpost is reporting that he'll earn the following base salaries: 320, 405, 490K respectively.

MULLDOG24
06-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Really glad to have this kid on board. I hope this kid has as good of a rookie season as Wallace did.

RushHard34
06-14-2010, 10:31 PM
I just had an exchange with him on Twitter.

:D :D

Very cool!

CanadianSteel
06-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Good job by the Steeler front office getting these kids signed and into camp, now keep the ball rolling. Hopefully him or Brown can step up and provide an impact quickly this year.

Very cool Prok, and liked his response !

Prok
06-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Yet another reply by him:

Esanders88 @Prok2 - Hines is a great. I'm like a sponge trying to soak up everything he tell me...

When asked about what it was like to meet Hines Ward.

I gotta say, i'm gettin' more and more impressed with this kid. I like the fact he took time to reply to me... TWICE!!

MasterOfPuppets
06-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Yet another reply by him:

When asked about what it was like to meet Hines Ward.

I gotta say, i'm gettin' more and more impressed with this kid. I like the fact he took time to reply to me... TWICE!!

why didn't you leave him the link to this site ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNo-AznJ73I

kmsteelerwr15
06-15-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm really liking the fact that we are getting these guys signed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-15-2010, 12:56 AM

I believe that the term of the contract does not lapse during the duration of the possible work stoppage. For instance, if there is no football in 2011, then Sanders will still have 2 years left on the contract. Guys dont get paid a years salary for not completing their contract and playing football.

Galax Steeler
06-15-2010, 03:55 AM
It is great to get him signed and hopefully he can produce at a pretty high level. With Brown showing some promise this could bring a crowed receiving core to Pittsburgh. We already know that Ward and Wallace will be no.1 and 2 and probably Randle El will probably be no. 3 but after that we have Sanders, Brown and Battle. It could be a very interesting trainning camp.

solardave
06-15-2010, 05:48 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's signed but why only 3 years. Isn't this the second 3 year deal? What's up with that?

GoSlash27
06-15-2010, 06:30 AM
'Colonel' Sanders...

Is it too soon for nicknames?

Well... let's just say that there's plenty of time to come up with a better nickname. :wink02:

HometownGal
06-15-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm delighted! :thumbsup: I think this kid is going to be a really nice fit in our receiving corps and am looking forward to watching him in TC in early August! :yay3:

SteelGhost
06-15-2010, 10:11 AM
If this guy can beat ARE I'll be more than happy. We need young blood now. Nice to have him signed :thumbsup:

Psycho Ward 86
06-15-2010, 10:47 AM
I hope Brown and Sanders beat the shit out of each other in camp. Fight like rabid dogs i tell ya :D

Prok
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
why didn't you leave him the link to this site ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNo-AznJ73I

Didn't want to press my luck while i had him replying. Figured if i spammed him it'd scare him off !! LOL

I know many poke fun at twitter but i gotta say that was super cool getting to talk to him. :D

Prok
06-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Counting my lucky stars! I just had another LONG convo with Sanders AGAIN !! lol

Wow i am impressed with this kid !!

Too long to C&P. Look me up on twitter of you're interested !!

Texasteel
06-15-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm delighted! :thumbsup: I think this kid is going to be a really nice fit in our receiving corps and am looking forward to watching him in TC in early August! :yay3:

That is what I am waiting for right now. I think this kid can be very very good. You have already shown you have a good eye for WRs. I would like to know how he looks in TC.

Prok
06-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Geez i feel blessed. He's actually following me on twitter now too.

Can you say kid in candy store ? That's how i feel! lol

Prok
06-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Question for mods/board members: Should i ask him if he'll do a Q&A session with the board here sometime soon?

Chidi29
06-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Question for mods/board members: Should i ask him if he'll do a Q&A session with the board here sometime soon?

Why not? Got nothing to lose.

Prok
06-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Why not? Got nothing to lose.

I figure i'll let the friendship develop more.

When asked about Ben he gave an awesome answer (among a million others lol). Basically said Ben is a beast and he has never seen any QB with his talents and unreal throws.

BTW sorry if i come off as a bragart. I'm just super excited to have made a friend on my fav team. It feels surreal. This kid is intent on joining the "Steelers nation family". Feels like i made a new good friend.

Chidi29
06-15-2010, 10:41 PM
I figure i'll let the friendship develop more.

When asked about Ben he gave an awesome answer (among a million others lol). Basically said Ben is a beast and he has never seen any QB with his talents and unreal throws.

BTW sorry if i come off as a bragart. I'm just super excited to have made a friend on my fav team. It feels surreal. This kid is intent on joining the "Steelers nation family". Feels like i made a ne good friend.

I just looked at his account. Appears to be a really cool guy. If I remember correctly, he went pretty crazy in his conference call.

By all means, brag away. If that was me talking to him, I probably would have hired a blimp to let the world know.

Indo
06-15-2010, 11:22 PM
I agree , it's exceedingly cool that you're talking to someone that potentially could make The Next Catch that wins number 7. Keep bragging!
BTW, I'm all for the "Steelers Universe presents _____" idea. Perhaps all of the rookies would do it...

Prok
06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
I got busy as hell last night and didn't get on til' real late. Apparently he was busy too. Next time i get to talk to him i'll ask more football related questions then see if i can copy his answers over here.

tony hipchest
06-18-2010, 07:33 PM
I got busy as hell last night and didn't get on til' real late. Apparently he was busy too. Next time i get to talk to him i'll ask more football related questions then see if i can copy his answers over here.
good job prok.

steelersuniverse has 2 twitter accts. the one i set up "steeleruniverse" is following most of the steelers players who currently have accounts. steelreserve had some good advice- follow them and retweet relevant posts from there. on the flipside, i can retweeet questions of yours that were answered.

hopefully soon this board will have a "follow us on twitter" tag along with the links.

this is a great way to network and spread the word. it will also get new players some of the exposure they crave and allow their voice to be heard on a medium some seem to be more comfiortable with (plus its convinient).

MasterOfPuppets
06-18-2010, 09:14 PM
lol....follow this link...
http://www.smudailymustang.com/?tag=emmanuel-sanders

click the play button under Sports Blog: Friends, Family Celebrate Sanders’ Selection by Steelers

its an audio interview with sanders after he was picked...his mother warns the #'s 1 & 2 receivers to watch their back , he's gonna take someones spot....lmao

Psycho Ward 86
06-18-2010, 09:43 PM
lol....follow this link...
http://www.smudailymustang.com/?tag=emmanuel-sanders

click the play button under Sports Blog: Friends, Family Celebrate Sanders’ Selection by Steelers

its an audio interview with sanders after he was picked...his mother warns the #'s 1 & 2 receivers to watch their back , he's gonna take someones spot....lmao

Nothing wrong with a mother's homerism. It always lifts my spirits :)

Prok
06-20-2010, 07:52 PM
UPDATE: He has AGREED to do a Q&A for us. We'll do it one night this week. Letting yin'z know early to get your questions in.

Try to stick 2 football related please.

I am doing this for BOTH MB's so i'm gonna try to get as many questions answered as possible. i may have to spread it out.

Chidi29
06-20-2010, 08:00 PM
That's awesome Prok. Way to go!

Prok
06-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks man. he's a good dude in my book. this should be fun !!