PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Drafty: Replacing the Big Snack?

stillers4me
03-09-2011, 07:51 AM
A six-pack of items below including potential draft picks, "Terrible" tattoos, Rocky Bleier honoring Vets, Hines Ward's fancy pants and more ...

1. Feeling Drafty: Replacing the Big Snack?
As we slowly emerge from our post-Super Bowl XLV cocoon, here's the first of what will be occasional updates on potential picks for the Steelers in the first round of the NFL Draft on April 28th in New York.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/images/stories/Dan_Gigler/philtaylor.jpg
A Light Snack?

First up: Baylor Nose Tackle Phil Taylor.
Heading into the 2011 draft, it's no secret that the Steelers three areas of need are in the secondary -- specifically cornerback, the defensive line, and (as always) the offensive line. Luckily for Pittsburgh, who draft next to last in the first round, this draft class is deep with quality first-round talent at each of those spots.
One intriquing prospect is Baylor nose tackle Phil Taylor, projected to be potentially be available when the Steelers make the 31st pick.
NBC's Mike Florio interviewed Taylor on Pro Football Talk live earlier today (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/baylors-taylor-says-weight-loss-has-helped-motor/), and later wrote that Taylor "says his role model on the field is Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton," (like Hampton, Taylor wears #98) and that "it would make sense for a team to draft Taylor as an early-down run plugger in a 3-4 defense to start his career ... It might even make sense for the Steelers to draft Taylor at No. 31 to learn from Hampton himself."
Not a bad idea. Consider............

Read more and watch video of Taylor @ http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/blog-n-gold/25727-feeling-drafty-replacing-the-big-snack

Steeldude
03-09-2011, 09:50 AM
my two concerns are highlighted in bold font

Strengths:
• Excellent size and bulk with a big frame
• Very strong, powerful and physical
• Nice balance and stays on his feet
• Stout at the point of attack and can anchor
• Able to take on and occupy multiple blockers
• Does a terrific job of stuffing the run
• Good bull rusher and will push the pocket
• Violent hands and uses them well
• Aggressive and plays with an edge
• Offers some schematic versatility

Weaknesses:
• Weight, conditioning and stamina are problematic - just like hampton
• Not very fast, quick, agile or explosive - just like hampton
• Doesn't always play with proper leverage - can be taught
• Not real mobile and lacks great range - just like hampton
• Is awfully limited as a pass rusher - just like hampton
• Questionable instincts and awareness - can be taught or at least improved
• Might have some durability issues
• Character concerns after off-the-field trouble

Psycho Ward 86
03-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I'd be pretty cool with it. Phil is a pretty underrated 1st round prospect, it could happen

The Duke
03-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I'd rather take the risk with a similar player ( Kenrick Ellis) in round 3-4. Both have character concerns, so I would just wait for ellis

steelreserve
03-09-2011, 11:18 PM
my two concerns are highlighted in bold font

Strengths:
• Excellent size and bulk with a big frame
• Very strong, powerful and physical
• Nice balance and stays on his feet
• Stout at the point of attack and can anchor
• Able to take on and occupy multiple blockers
• Does a terrific job of stuffing the run
• Good bull rusher and will push the pocket
• Violent hands and uses them well
• Aggressive and plays with an edge
• Offers some schematic versatility

Weaknesses:
• Weight, conditioning and stamina are problematic - just like hampton
• Not very fast, quick, agile or explosive - just like hampton
• Doesn't always play with proper leverage - can be taught
• Not real mobile and lacks great range - just like hampton
• Is awfully limited as a pass rusher - just like hampton
• Questionable instincts and awareness - can be taught or at least improved
• Might have some durability issues
• Character concerns after off-the-field trouble

Well, 16 out of 18 ain't bad.

But seriously, I don't know enough about any one individual DT prospect to comment on whether he might be "the guy" or not. But it is pretty obvious DT is a need and I wouldn't be surprised if we took one early. Mostly depends on whether the right player happens to be available, I would guess.

Steeldude
03-10-2011, 12:30 AM
steelreserve, i agree. he does look like a great prospect. he certainly has the size to play NT. IMO, i wouldn't ignoring the off-the-field- troubles if he is taken in the second.

i am hoping the steelers can grab a good T/G or DB in the first round. i amthinking there will be more value on the O-line then in the secondary at #31.

steelreserve
03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't think there's much "value" for us at o-line in the first round. By which I mean, whether we like the players we have or not, I think most of the positions are pretty much set, and we're already spending as much cap room on the offensive line as we reasonably can without hurting ourselves in other areas.

There may well be more OL talent on the board at #31, but if there's anyone even comparable at DB or DL, I'd much rather have them. I can see us taking some linemen in rounds 3+ as prospects who take over the roster spots of Hills and J. Scott, but if we don't keep addressing a) the obvious hole in our defense and b) the age of our defense, we'll pay for it later. Those are now the problem areas like OL was in, say, 2008, which eventually drove us to address it in the first round. If there's really nobody available at DB or DL who's worth a first-round pick, then obviously we won't force it, but that's where I really see the focus being, and both positions are apparently deep enough that there's a good chance at least one high-quality player makes it to us.