PDA

View Full Version : On The Road with Kevin Colbert

stillers4me
03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Since our last segment of “On The Road,” a lot has transpired for our organization. Sandwiched between our scouting of the college All-Star games, which are played right after the conclusion of the bowl season, and the National Invitational Combine, which is held in Indianapolis in late February, was our trip to Super Bowl XLV in Arlington, TX.

I will talk about the All-Star game scouting and the Combine a little later in this segment, but for now I’d like to touch on our trip to the Super Bowl.

First and foremost I would like to congratulate the Green Bay Packers (http://www.packers.com/) organization on a job well done. Green Bay put forth a great performance, and the Packers are a worthy champion. Being on the losing end of a Super Bowl is a first for me, and it’s not something I’ll ever forget, nor is it something I want to experience again. As I have stated previously: We were good enough for second, but second isn’t good enough. That being said, I couldn’t be more proud of a group of players, coaches and staff, all of whom gave everything they had. I would also like to thank our fans for the outstanding support they gave us during the 2010 season. The support we enjoy is second to none and deeply appreciated. Finishing second never will be acceptable, and it’s with that resolve we have set forth on our plan to improve our team and hopefully have a more successful 2011 season.

ALL-STAR SCOUTING
After the conclusion of the college bowl season, there are a series of All-Star games played from mid-December through early February......................

.....................The purpose of the Combine is four-fold: medical evaluation, physical testing, psychological testing, and personal interviews.

Medical Evaluation: Each player is subject to a thorough orthopedic and internal examination. Each NFL franchise has its own team of doctors who participate in these exams. These doctors will break off into small groups that conduct a specific part of the overall examination, so that a particular player is only subjected to one set of X-rays, for example, or one set of MRIs. Each team then takes all of these findings and ultimately will come up with its own medical grade on each player based on the findings.

Physical Testing: Each player who is physically able is put through a battery of drills designed to measure different levels of strength and athleticism. Included in these drills are a bench press test, flexibility measurements, a 40-yard dash.........

Read more @
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/On-The-Road-Part-IV/57291d2c-5d1c-4b1a-9841-73a764d1a0fd