PDA

View Full Version : First Round Mock

Chidi29
03-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Been working on my mock now. Before I begin the rest of the rounds, I wanted to get opinions on the first round to see if I royally screwed up somewhere. None of these picks are set in stone. Let me know what you think.

1. Carolina Panthers - Marcell Dareus/DT Alabama: It was widely agreed upon that DT Nick Fairley would be occupying this spot. The key word being "was". The competition for the #1 is as wide open as ever. As much as a need for an upgrade at DE has been discussed, DT is an even bigger area of concern. The team does have Charles Johnson and George Selvie at DE. Drafting a DE such as Bowers isn't a need. Dareus is extremely strong with quick hands and can be flat out dominant at times. You know Dareus has also been coached well by Nick Saban. Dareus will be a cornerstone along the defensive line.

2. Denver Broncos - Nick Fairley/DT Auburn: Champ Bailey has re-signed with the team and coach John Fox has been singing the praises of Robert Ayers' chances of success at DE. That would lessen the chances, of course not eliminating, of the team selecting Bowers of CB Patrick Peterson. The team is switching back to a 4-3 after Josh McDaniels was let go and Fox brought in. Denver has little to offer along the interior defensive line. Fairley had a monster season after being a relative unknown prior. With a quick first step and the ability to dominate in the biggest games, such as the National Championship game, Fairley will be a welcomed addition.

3. Buffalo Bills - Patrick Peterson/CB LSU: Buffalo is a tough team to mock. An unpredictable bunch, as shown by their selection fo CJ Spiller last season despite having Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson. Spiller was definitely more of a value pick than a need one. The same case happens here. The team does have McGee and McKelvin but Peterson is likely the best player available. Trying to stop a team like New England is going to require multiple skilled cornerbacks. Peterson fits the bill.

4. Cincinnatti Bengals - AJ Green/WR Georgia: Although there is a lot of turmoil at QB, there isn't a player worth drafting this high. Chad Ochocinco has taken digs at owner Mike Brown, indicating that we wants to play elsehwere. Jerome Simpson did come on strong last year, but it's a limited sample size for a player that was close to being named a bust before. Green is an athletic freak with great size, standing in at 6'4 211.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Von Miller/OLB Texas A&M: Arizona desperately needs to upgrade its pass rush and get younger at the position. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said that Joey Porter played too much for his age in 2010 and Clark Haggans isn't a spring chicken either. Miller was a wreaking ball his junior and senior seasons, racking up 39 TFL and 27.5 TFL. He is the best OLB in this year's class. The team has an obvious void at QB but again, there simply isn't anyone worth taking that high.

6. Cleveland Browns - DaQuan Bowers/DE Clemson: The Browns will be switching to a 4-3 this season and could really use help improving its front four. Bowers could still go as high as number one. Getting him at six is a bargain. He isn't an elite pass rusher but a great athlete who excels in getting off blocks, playing the run, and wreaking havoc in general. He'll gave the Browns' pass rush the face lift that it needs.

7. San Francisco 49ers - Robert Quinn/OLB North Carolina: These past three picks exhibit the value that has been placed on having a top tier pass rusher in today's league. Ahmad Brooks and Manny Lawson aren't bad but aren't game-changing OLBs. Quinn can be as evident by his 19 TFL and 11 sacks two years ago. Having to sit out this past year hurt him but the ability he showed two years ago will be tough for any team to pass up.

8. Tennessee Titans - Julio Jones/WR Alabama: Now things get interesting. There isn't a "no-brainer" pick for the Titans based on the way the picks ahead turned out. One thing that can never be ignored in the draft, especially in the first round where you're givinig a bag of money to your pick, is value. Jones is the best player on the board. The team does have Kenny Britt but getting another tall, athletic monster in Jones would make it very difficult for defenses. Throw in Chris Johnson and the possible emergence of Jared Cook and you have the makings of a potent offense, even with Kerry Collins under center. It's just not worth reaching for a QB because you feel obligated to have a guy you can trot out as the face of the franchise.

9. Dallas Cowboys - Prince Amukamara/CB Nebraska: This pick is a little easier to decide on. The Cowboys pass defense ranked 26th in the league with Mike Jenkins regressing and looking disintersted at times while Terrence Newman showed his age. Amukamara proved any critics wrong by running in the low 4.4s at the Combine.

10. Washington Redskins - Cam Newton/QB Auburn: This is a case where I could see this happening more than I personally believe in the idea. Donovan McNabb clearly hasn't worked out and he'll likely be with another team by the start of the 2011 season. Needless to say, the team is in search of a new QB. Newton is not my #1 QB, rather ranked third, but he fits the bill of what coach Mike Shanahan is looking for. A big, mobile quarterback with a strong arm. That's what he had in Denver with Elway and in drafting Jay Cutler.

11. Houston Texans - Brandon Harris/CB Miami (FL): Ideally, one of the top two corners would have fallen. Obviously not the case. Luckilly, it's a strong cornerback class. Harris is undersized but is extremely fluid and comes from a school that consistently churns out top defensive backs. Houston's secondary is a glaring need, being perhaps the worst in the league last season. It may be a bit higher than preferred, but Houston doesn't have a ton of options.

12. Minnesota Vikings - Blaine Gabbert/QB Missouri: Leslie Frazier has made it clear that getting a franchise QB is the team's top priority. Gabbert is not my top QB, far from it, but he will go high in the draft and is a good fit for the Vikings. Minnesota runs a West Coast and Gabbert has the mobility to be used on rollouts. More mobility than a prospect such as Ryan Mallett. Plus, Minnesota's offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave stated that he would run a "simple" offense, relatively speaking. That will make it easier for any college QB, especially one coming out of a simple spread like Gabbert.

13. Detriot Lions - Jimmy Smith/CB Colorado: Another team that needs a lot of help at cornerback. Lions' fans are still trying to forget that Alphonso Smith played on Thanksgiving. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham prefers big, physical cornerbacks. Smith certainly qualifies and had a dominant career at Colorado to the point where teams stopped throwing at him. His character corners do raise red flags, reason being he's the fourth cornerback off the board.

14. St. Louis Rams - Cameron Jordan/DE California: The Rams are fortunate to be looking for a defensive lineman in such a strong class. Jordan will line up opposite of Chris Long, who finally turned it on this year. Jordan is strong against the run and uses his long arms to disengaged from lineman. This helps him against the run and off the edge.

15. Miami Dolphins - Mark Ingram/RB Alabama: A pretty vanilla pick here. It has widely been speculated that the Dolphins will pick Ingram. It is possible Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown aren't with Miami in 2011, leaving the team with a vacancy in a run-oriented offense. Ingram has good size and the best balance in his class. He won't blow anyone away with his speed, but his ability to stay on his feet is very impressive. He'll give the Dolphins a workhorse at running back.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars - JJ Watt/DE Wisconsin: I'm not entirely happy with this pick but Watt is good value. While the team has a poor track record with selecting defensive lineman early, Watt is a strong prospect. Excellent size and a lot more explosive than you'd think. Aaron Kampman is coming off a torn ACL and the Jags haven't had a solid pass rush in awhile. The secondary is also a need but there aren't any good enough options on the board to warrant going in that direction.

17. New England Patriots - Tyron Smith/OT USC: New England is always a tough team to figure out because they rarely have glaring needs. Of course, that opens up the options on the draft board. Tackle isn't a need here, but it's difficult to pass up a player of Smith's caliber. Getting him at #17 is a steal. Smith bulked up for the Combine, weighing in at 307, and fares well in space. His run blocking is a lot better than you'd think; Smith shows good leverage and leg drive. Matt Light is 32 years old and currently set to hit the free agent market.

18. San Diego Chargers - Gabe Carimi/OT Wisconsin: After no tackle was taken within the first sixteen picks, two come off back-to-back. Carimi is capable of playing left tackle although he will be used on the right side with the Chargers, a position that has been in flux. The former Badger is a mauler in the run game and does a great job of getting to and engaging at the second level. He'll be a big upgrade in the run and pass game.

19. New York Giants - Mike Pouncey/OG Florida: It's tough not to be upset if you're the Giants. It seemed like one of the top two tackles would fall but neither did. New York's line is finally falling apart after being one of the most consistent and experienced across the board. Players such as Shaun O'Hara and Kareem McKenzie are starting to break down. Pouncey will likely play RG in the NFL though has some center versatility if he can consistently get off a proper snap. A big boost to the o-line.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Aldon Smith/DE Missouri: Tampa Bay was tied next to last in sacks with a paltry 26. It's a testament to how deep this defensive line class when the #7 DE is going in the top 20. Smith is raw and needs to get better against the run but he fires of the ball consistently and can come in early as a situational pass rusher. After spending a first round pick on a DT last year, the Bucs go with a defensive end.

21. Kansas City Chiefs - Ryan Kerrigan/OLB Purdue: Tamba Hali was a monster last year and may be one of the most underrated players in the league after having 15+ sacks. Too bad there's no one opposite of him. Kerrigan isn't an overly flashy player but an ultra-productive one with a non-stop motor. That mentality seems to be commong at Purdue with past players like Mike Neal having similar reports. Kerrigan will give the Chiefs a dual threat at OLB.

22. Indianapolis Colts - Nate Solder/OT Colorado: It's amazing how little attention the Colts' line has received in the past few seasons. It hasn't been the same since Tarik Glenn retired. Solder will bridge that gap on Peyton's blindside. Solder is a huge body that moves very well, a former tight end. Indy definitely needs to get some talent along the offensive line.

23. Philadelphia Eagles - Akeem Ayers/OLB UCLA: The Eagles' linebacker core has been a mess the past two years due to injuries and poor play. Ayers is a dual threat with the ability to rush the pass and drop into coverage. The Eagles don't have a lot of needs and Ayers is also solid value.

24. New Orleans Saints - Justin Houston/DE Georgia: Houston showed that he is looking to play defensive end at the next level, weighing in at 270 pounds at the Combine. Will Smith is quickly getting older and will slow down. The team upgraded its interior line by signing Shaun Rogers and know focuses its attention on defensive end.

25. Seattle Seahawks - Ryan Mallett/QB Arkansas: Mallett may not be the ideal fit for the team but it's hard to pass up on a guy of his talent and my #1 QB on the board. Matt Hasselbeck is well into his 30s and has been dealing with back issues. Charlie Whitehurst did not look good last season. Mallett gives them a franchise QB.

26. Baltimore Ravens - Torrey Smith/WR Maryland: It's no secret the team needs to have a vertical threat at WR. Smith ran a 4.43 at the Combine. Derrick Mason and Anquan Boldin are quality possession receivers but neither are going to stretch the field. Smith will open up Baltimore's offense.

27. Atlanta Falcons - Corey Liguet/DT Illinois: Defensive tackle isn't the biggest need but Liguet is good value. Peria Jerry still has potential but a torn ACL has set him back. Liguet had a strong junior year and will give them an explosive tackle on the interior. Cornerback is less of a need with the storng play of Brent Grimes.

28. New England Patriots - Jonathan Baldwin/WR Pittsburgh: Without a lot of needs, the team can look at the best players and the ones that offer the highest upside. I have questions about Baldwin's ability to succeed at the next level; I can't help but think he'll have trouble getting separation after catching a lot of jump balls in college, but his triangle numbers are off the charts. A high reward pick for New England.

29. Chicago Bears - Rodney Hudson/OG Florida St: If Hudson was a few inches taller and a little bit heavier, he'd be the best guard prospect to come out in years. His poor agility numbers at the Combine after a weight gain is a bit concerning but if he drops back down to 290, he'll be a great guard. His supreme athletic ability is unmatched in this year's guard class.

30. New York Jets - Stephen Paea/DT Oregon St: Kris Jenkins was finally let go after back to back years cut short by major injuries. Paea's torn meniscus dropped his stock but he stole the show at the bench press by lifting 225 a record 49 times. That strength carries over to the game as Paea was routinely doubled and triple-teamed all the while still putting up good numbers.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers - Ben Ijalana/OG Villanova: Ijalana will be making a position switch, from LT to RG, but he has to move inside at the next level. After doing that, he could excel at guard. He has top notch upper body strength and while he played at the FCS level, he dominanted against the top competition there. The Steelers biggest weakness along the offensive line is right guard.

32. Green Bay Packers - Cameron Heyward/DE Ohio St: Not a lot of flaws for the defending champs. The team is likely to lose Cullen Jenkins, its best defensive end. Heyward has good bloodlines, his father playing in the NFL, and is an underrated pass rusher while strong against the run. A fine addition as the last pick of the 1st round.

Texasteel
03-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Great job Chidi. I just wonder if one of the earlier teams will get caught up in the Newton hype, seems like someone always does, then in 3 or 4 year wonders what the hell to do with him.

Thanks buddy.

86WARD
03-07-2011, 07:23 PM
I think if Sherrod is available, they take him over Ijalana. I'd actually be very, very disappointed if they took Ijalana...

Chidi29
03-07-2011, 08:58 PM
I think if Sherrod is available, they take him over Ijalana. I'd actually be very, very disappointed if they took Ijalana...

I see sherrod as a left tackle and with Max coming back, I don't see the need for it. RG is our biggest hole along the OL.

You not a fan of Ijalana, I take it?

86WARD
03-07-2011, 09:26 PM
It's not so much I'm not a fan as I think there is better value out there at the 31 spot than Ijalana. I feel like if they take him there, they are reaching and "drafting for need" which is not a good thing, especially with this team. Sherrod can play Guard as well and they love guys who can play multiple line positions. Ultimately, I am hoping that one of the upper CB's is available and that's what they go with, but I feel like they'll be gone.

Chidi29
03-07-2011, 09:31 PM
It's not so much I'm not a fan as I think there is better value out there at the 31 spot than Ijalana. I feel like if they take him there, they are reaching and "drafting for need" which is not a good thing, especially with this team. Sherrod can play Guard as well and they love guys who can play multiple line positions. Ultimately, I am hoping that one of the upper CB's is available and that's what they go with, but I feel like they'll be gone.

I see what you're saying. I am a big fan of Ijalana though and think he'll definitely be worth our while at 31. sherrod may have gotten a little bit of time at guard but he is primarily a LT and is too finesse for my lacking to play inside. I think he's pretty exclusive to left tackle at the next level.

86WARD
03-07-2011, 09:41 PM
I'll agree with you there. Funny thing is, I don't necessarily want them to take Sherrod, although I wouldn't kill myself if they did, I just think it's a guy they would love to have...he just seems to fit their "mold."

7willBheaven
03-08-2011, 01:18 AM
I am no expert when it comes to this stuff...though none of us are, the draft is a crap shoot to try to get right or close to right, haha.

Anyways...not bad overall...a couple that stuck out to me as either interesting...or that didnt look right or whatever...

#8 TN - WR J. Jones - They have huge needs on the DL i think...ever since fat Albert left and Vandenbosh declined a bit then left...they DL hasnt been as good and even though Julio might be a great value pick...it would be a wasted pick in my mind.

#11 HOU - CB Harris - the Texans are switching to a 3-4 this year...they need a number of pieces to do this, a solid DE could be a nice pick or even a rush OLB...i would rank CB lower on the list

#13 DET - CB Smith - I do agree CB is a higher need...but I think they could get a CB in the next round or so thats decent also...Det has problems keeping their big money QB upright and healthy...I think one of the top OL prospects would be more fitting

#18 SD - Carimi - from my research it seems they need DE help more than anything

#19 NYG - Pouncey - OL is a solid pick...but I would think one of the OTs would be a better pick here.

#21 KC - Kerrigan - This isnt that bad really...I've found that it seems that NT is a bigger need, but OLB wouldnt be bad I guess.

#29 CHI - OG Hudson - this one only because i really havent seen or heard much about him...most places i've seen have him anywhere from 2nd - 4th OG (mostly 3-4th)...thats my only comment here, haha

#31 PIT - Ijalana - Just dont like it...of course it doesnt seem many of the good CBs are around...besides Williams from TX maybe...yes OG is a need...but based on your mock when some solid tackles like Costanza and Sherrod are still on the board...they should jump on them...for many years now the tackles have been going in top half of the draft...now a lot of those top half teams have their tackles and such...now they're slipping in the 2nd half of the draft and a chance to maybe get one. Yes Max should be back...but will he be his old self...not as good or what? Flozell is old and dont have a lot left...Colon...they apparently want back...if it happens who knows. If they can get the future solid LT here then I'd have no problem moving Max back to RT (and if they could only move Colon to RG...they'd be set).

Just a few opinions on a handful of your picks...again I'm no expert...but from my knowledge and what i've read/etc online thats what i think for the most part.

Steeldude
03-08-2011, 06:27 AM
The Steelers biggest weakness along the offensive line is right guard

i disagree. foster has played well since being inserted. i would say he has played better than kemo. IMO, the tackles are where it's lacking. adams might be cut and if he isn't then his age is a concern. colon might go elsewhere. scott, essex and hills are...well...not good :)

Texasteel
03-08-2011, 07:16 AM
I think our weakest point is the guard position as well, and I'm one that has been bitching about our OT position for a while now. I would like to see Kemo flipped to the right side where he can use his power more and think less. Not sure I would take Ijalana in the 1st round either, but it sure seem that he is heading up the draft chart, and I do understand the thinking. Also, if you are thinking of a RT, I believe that Ijalana will make a better one that Sherrod would. I'm certain that he would move into that position much quicker.

LLT
03-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Good job Chidi...but you HAVE to find some place in the first round for Costanza. If you dropped Hudson and made Costanza the Bears pick I would like it better,

I still have Costanza as the #1 overall tackle on my board.

Chidi29
03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I am no expert when it comes to this stuff...though none of us are, the draft is a crap shoot to try to get right or close to right, haha.

Anyways...not bad overall...a couple that stuck out to me as either interesting...or that didnt look right or whatever...

#8 TN - WR J. Jones - They have huge needs on the DL i think...ever since fat Albert left and Vandenbosh declined a bit then left...they DL hasnt been as good and even though Julio might be a great value pick...it would be a wasted pick in my mind.

#11 HOU - CB Harris - the Texans are switching to a 3-4 this year...they need a number of pieces to do this, a solid DE could be a nice pick or even a rush OLB...i would rank CB lower on the list

#13 DET - CB Smith - I do agree CB is a higher need...but I think they could get a CB in the next round or so thats decent also...Det has problems keeping their big money QB upright and healthy...I think one of the top OL prospects would be more fitting

#18 SD - Carimi - from my research it seems they need DE help more than anything

#19 NYG - Pouncey - OL is a solid pick...but I would think one of the OTs would be a better pick here.

#21 KC - Kerrigan - This isnt that bad really...I've found that it seems that NT is a bigger need, but OLB wouldnt be bad I guess.

#29 CHI - OG Hudson - this one only because i really havent seen or heard much about him...most places i've seen have him anywhere from 2nd - 4th OG (mostly 3-4th)...thats my only comment here, haha

#31 PIT - Ijalana - Just dont like it...of course it doesnt seem many of the good CBs are around...besides Williams from TX maybe...yes OG is a need...but based on your mock when some solid tackles like Costanza and Sherrod are still on the board...they should jump on them...for many years now the tackles have been going in top half of the draft...now a lot of those top half teams have their tackles and such...now they're slipping in the 2nd half of the draft and a chance to maybe get one. Yes Max should be back...but will he be his old self...not as good or what? Flozell is old and dont have a lot left...Colon...they apparently want back...if it happens who knows. If they can get the future solid LT here then I'd have no problem moving Max back to RT (and if they could only move Colon to RG...they'd be set).

Just a few opinions on a handful of your picks...again I'm no expert...but from my knowledge and what i've read/etc online thats what i think for the most part.

Defensive tackle could definitely be a possibility but there wasn't a player there they could take. I decided to go with BPA and that was Julio.

Houston could go in a bunch of different ways. No wrong picks there, as long as it's defense like you said. I wouldn't argue with them taking an OLB. I do think they're set at DE with Mario and Antonio Smith.

I am going to switch the Chargers pick from OT to DE. Either Heyward or Clayborn.

I'm changing the Giants pick, too. I agree with what you're saying. Gunna move Pouncey down a few spots.

I'm still hanging onto the hope that Colon re-signs though that's looking less and less likely. I just hate the idea of benching first round OTs. Those are guys that are usually able to contribute right away.

Chidi29
03-08-2011, 03:03 PM
i disagree. foster has played well since being inserted. i would say he has played better than kemo. IMO, the tackles are where it's lacking. adams might be cut and if he isn't then his age is a concern. colon might go elsewhere. scott, essex and hills are...well...not good :)

Foster was way too inconsistent for my tastes. He doesn't get off the snap well and that really hurts him in getting into his blocks. Adams issue is the money. The five million is too much. If we can restructure, he'll be back IMO. If Colon leaves, it does become a different story. We'll see.

Chidi29
03-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Good job Chidi...but you HAVE to find some place in the first round for Costanza. If you dropped Hudson and made Costanza the Bears pick I would like it better,

I still have Costanza as the #1 overall tackle on my board.

I do have him a bit lower on my boards so that's why he didn't appear. He's my number four tackle. Not sure if Chicago is ready to give up on Chris Williams. Maybe they are.

Chidi29
03-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Updated mock.

The general look compared to the laat mock la the same but there are seven or eight changes I made, especially towards the end of the first round.

This mock is more based on what I think should happen based on my thoughts and feelings of players and teams.

1. Carolina Panthers - Marcell Dareus/DT Alabama: It was widely agreed upon that DT Nick Fairley would be occupying this spot. The key word being "was". The competition for the #1 is as wide open as ever. As much as a need for an upgrade at DE has been discussed, DT is an even bigger area of concern. The team does have Charles Johnson and George Selvie at DE. Drafting a DE such as Bowers isn't a need. Dareus is extremely strong with quick hands and can be flat out dominant at times. You know Dareus has also been coached well by Nick Saban. Dareus will be a cornerstone along the defensive line.

2. Denver Broncos - Nick Fairley/DT Auburn: Champ Bailey has re-signed with the team and coach John Fox has been singing the praises of Robert Ayers' chances of success at DE. That would lessen the chances, of course not eliminating, of the team selecting Bowers of CB Patrick Peterson. The team is switching back to a 4-3 after Josh McDaniels was let go and Fox brought in. Denver has little to offer along the interior defensive line. Fairley had a monster season after being a relative unknown prior. With a quick first step and the ability to dominate in the biggest games, such as the National Championship game, Fairley will be a welcomed addition.

3. Buffalo Bills - Patrick Peterson/CB LSU: Buffalo is a tough team to mock. An unpredictable bunch, as shown by their selection fo CJ Spiller last season despite having Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson. Spiller was definitely more of a value pick than a need one. The same case happens here. The team does have McGee and McKelvin but Peterson is likely the best player available. Trying to stop a team like New England is going to require multiple skilled cornerbacks. Peterson fits the bill.

4. Cincinnatti Bengals - AJ Green/WR Georgia: Although there is a lot of turmoil at QB, there isn't a player worth drafting this high. Chad Ochocinco has taken digs at owner Mike Brown, indicating that we wants to play elsehwere. Jerome Simpson did come on strong last year, but it's a limited sample size for a player that was close to being named a bust before. Green is an athletic freak with great size, standing in at 6'4 211.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Von Miller/OLB Texas A&M: Arizona desperately needs to upgrade its pass rush and get younger at the position. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said that Joey Porter played too much for his age in 2010 and Clark Haggans isn't a spring chicken either. Miller was a wreaking ball his junior and senior seasons, racking up 39 TFL and 27.5 TFL. He is the best OLB in this year's class. The team has an obvious void at QB but again, there simply isn't anyone worth taking that high.

6. Cleveland Browns - DaQuan Bowers/DE Clemson: The Browns will be switching to a 4-3 this season and could really use help improving its front four. Bowers could still go as high as number one. Getting him at six is a bargain. He isn't an elite pass rusher but a great athlete who excels in getting off blocks, playing the run, and wreaking havoc in general. He'll gave the Browns' pass rush the face lift that it needs.

7. San Francisco 49ers - Robert Quinn/OLB North Carolina: These past three picks exhibit the value that has been placed on having a top tier pass rusher in today's league. Ahmad Brooks and Manny Lawson aren't bad but aren't game-changing OLBs. Quinn can be as evident by his 19 TFL and 11 sacks two years ago. Having to sit out this past year hurt him but the ability he showed two years ago will be tough for any team to pass up.

8. Tennessee Titans - Julio Jones/WR Alabama: Now things get interesting. There isn't a "no-brainer" pick for the Titans based on the way the picks ahead turned out. One thing that can never be ignored in the draft, especially in the first round where you're givinig a bag of money to your pick, is value. Jones is the best player on the board. The team does have Kenny Britt but getting another tall, athletic monster in Jones would make it very difficult for defenses. Throw in Chris Johnson and the possible emergence of Jared Cook and you have the makings of a potent offense, even with Kerry Collins under center. It's just not worth reaching for a QB because you feel obligated to have a guy you can trot out as the face of the franchise.

9. Dallas Cowboys - Prince Amukamara/CB Nebraska: This pick is a little easier to decide on. The Cowboys pass defense ranked 26th in the league with Mike Jenkins regressing and looking disintersted at times while Terrence Newman showed his age. Amukamara proved any critics wrong by running in the low 4.4s at the Combine.

10. Washington Redskins - Cam Newton/QB Auburn: This is a case where I could see this happening more than I personally believe in the idea. Donovan McNabb clearly hasn't worked out and he'll likely be with another team by the start of the 2011 season. Needless to say, the team is in search of a new QB. Newton is not my #1 QB, rather ranked third, but he fits the bill of what coach Mike Shanahan is looking for. A big, mobile quarterback with a strong arm. That's what he had in Denver with Elway and in drafting Jay Cutler.

11. Houston Texans - Brandon Harris/CB Miami (FL): Ideally, one of the top two corners would have fallen. Obviously not the case. Luckilly, it's a strong cornerback class. Harris is undersized but is extremely fluid and comes from a school that consistently churns out top defensive backs. Houston's secondary is a glaring need, being perhaps the worst in the league last season. It may be a bit higher than preferred, but Houston doesn't have a ton of options.

12. Minnesota Vikings - Blaine Gabbert/QB Missouri: Leslie Frazier has made it clear that getting a franchise QB is the team's top priority. Gabbert is not my top QB, far from it, but he will go high in the draft and is a good fit for the Vikings. Minnesota runs a West Coast and Gabbert has the mobility to be used on rollouts. More mobility than a prospect such as Ryan Mallett. Plus, Minnesota's offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave stated that he would run a "simple" offense, relatively speaking. That will make it easier for any college QB, especially one coming out of a simple spread like Gabbert.

13. Detriot Lions - Jimmy Smith/CB Colorado: Another team that needs a lot of help at cornerback. Lions' fans are still trying to forget that Alphonso Smith played on Thanksgiving. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham prefers big, physical cornerbacks. Smith certainly qualifies and had a dominant career at Colorado to the point where teams stopped throwing at him. His character corners do raise red flags, reason being he's the fourth cornerback off the board.

14. St. Louis Rams - Cameron Jordan/DE California: The Rams are fortunate to be looking for a defensive lineman in such a strong class. Jordan will line up opposite of Chris Long, who finally turned it on this year. Jordan is strong against the run and uses his long arms to disengaged from lineman. This helps him against the run and off the edge.

15. Miami Dolphins - Mark Ingram/RB Alabama: A pretty vanilla pick here. It has widely been speculated that the Dolphins will pick Ingram. It is possible Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown aren't with Miami in 2011, leaving the team with a vacancy in a run-oriented offense. Ingram has good size and the best balance in his class. He won't blow anyone away with his speed, but his ability to stay on his feet is very impressive. He'll give the Dolphins a workhorse at running back.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars - JJ Watt/DE Wisconsin: I'm not entirely happy with this pick but Watt is good value. While the team has a poor track record with selecting defensive lineman early, Watt is a strong prospect. Excellent size and a lot more explosive than you'd think. Aaron Kampman is coming off a torn ACL and the Jags haven't had a solid pass rush in awhile. The secondary is also a need but there aren't any good enough options on the board to warrant going in that direction.

17. New England Patriots - Tyron Smith/OT USC: New England is always a tough team to figure out because they rarely have glaring needs. Of course, that opens up the options on the draft board. Tackle isn't a need here, but it's difficult to pass up a player of Smith's caliber. Getting him at #17 is a steal. Smith bulked up for the Combine, weighing in at 307, and fares well in space. His run blocking is a lot better than you'd think; Smith shows good leverage and leg drive. Matt Light is 32 years old and currently set to hit the free agent market.

18. San Diego Chargers - Cameron Heyward/DE Ohio St: A once strong defensive line has really fallen off in recent years, especially after Jamal Williams was let go. Heyward won't fill that gap at nose tackle but will give the team help at end. Heyward has good bloodlines, his father "Ironhead" played in the NFL, and is an underrated pass rusher while strong against the run.

19. New York Giants - Akeem Ayers/LB UCLA: Clint Sintim has had struggles early in his career and the Giants could use an upgrade at linebacker. Ayers is a dual threat with the ability to rush the passer and be a tackling machine. Based on the board, this is the best pick for the Giants.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Aldon Smith/DE Missouri: Tampa Bay was tied next to last in sacks with a paltry 26. It's a testament to how deep this defensive line class when the #7 DE is going in the top 20. Smith is raw and needs to get better against the run but he fires of the ball consistently and can come in early as a situational pass rusher. After spending a first round pick on a DT last year, the Bucs go with a defensive end.

21. Kansas City Chiefs - Ryan Kerrigan/OLB Purdue: Tamba Hali was a monster last year and may be one of the most underrated players in the league after having 15+ sacks. Too bad there's no one opposite of him. Kerrigan isn't an overly flashy player but an ultra-productive one with a non-stop motor. That mentality seems to be commong at Purdue with past players like Mike Neal having similar reports. Kerrigan will give the Chiefs a dual threat at OLB.

22. Indianapolis Colts - Gabe Carimi/OT Wisconsin: It's amazing how little attention the Colts' line has received in the past few seasons. It hasn't been the same since Tarik Glenn retired. Most believe Carimi will have to play on the right side in the NFL, but he has the athletic ability to be on Peyton's blindside. His run blocking his strong suit and he does an excellent job of locking on, even at the second level. He'll be a boost to a Colts team that has to keep Manning upright and can help them get back to using their patended stretch play on a consistent, effective basis.

23. Philadelphia Eagles - Mike Pouncey/OG Florida: A team that needs help along the line. Mike McGlynn isn't terrible but he isn't the ideal long-term solution. Pouncey is not as good as his twin brother but is talented in his own right. He has a mean streak like Maurkice and is an athlete, used numerous times on pull plays.

24. New Orleans Saints - Justin Houston/DE Georgia: Houston showed that he is looking to play defensive end at the next level, weighing in at 270 pounds at the Combine. Will Smith is quickly getting older and will slow down. The team upgraded its interior line by signing Shaun Rogers and know focuses its attention on defensive end.

25. Seattle Seahawks - Ryan Mallett/QB Arkansas: Mallett may not be the ideal fit for the team but it's hard to pass up on a guy of his talent and my #1 QB on the board. Matt Hasselbeck is well into his 30s and has been dealing with back issues. Charlie Whitehurst did not look good last season. Mallett gives them a franchise QB.

26. Baltimore Ravens - Torrey Smith/WR Maryland: It's no secret the team needs to have a vertical threat at WR. Smith ran a 4.43 at the Combine. Derrick Mason and Anquan Boldin are quality possession receivers but neither are going to stretch the field. Smith will open up Baltimore's offense.

27. Atlanta Falcons - Nate Solder/OT Colorado: This is a tough selection for Atlanta without many true needs and the top defensive ends off the board. Sam Baker has been benched at various points in his career, leading fans to sour on him. Solder is a huge body that moves very well, a former tight end. Indy definitely needs to get some talent along the offensive line. Cornerback is less of a need with the storng play of Brent Grimes.

28. New England Patriots - Brooks Reed/OLB Arizona: With so many picks, it's only going to get tougher to decide on what position to look at. Reed's stock has shot up after posting the best ten-yard split at his position, showcasing his acceleration. By draft day, Reed could be going in the first round or early second in a lot of mocks. Keep an eye on him.

29. Chicago Bears - Corey Liguet/DT Ilinois: Tommie Harris was just released after an unproductive past two seasons. Chicago doesn't have much on the interior defensive line. Liguet had a strong junior year and will give them an explosive tackle on the interior.

30. New York Jets - Anthony Castonzo/OT Boston College: Offensive line isn't a pressing need for the Jets but Castonzo is tough to pass on late in the first round. Damien Woody was let go after age and injuries sapped him of his ability, leaving a void at right tackle. Castonzo may be thought of as more of a left tackle, but he is a solid run blocker who will get better after a little bit of coaching to work on his hand placement.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers - Rodney Hudson/OG Florida St: If Hudson was a few inches taller and a little bit heavier, he'd be the best guard prospect to come out in years. His poor agility numbers at the Combine after a weight gain is a bit concerning but if he drops back down to 290, he'll be a great guard. His supreme athletic ability is unmatched in this year's guard class. Hudson's arrival will move left guard Chris Kemoeatu to right guard.

32. Green Bay Packers - Adrian Clayborn/DE Iowa: Not a lot of flaws for the defending champs. The team is likely to lose Cullen Jenkins, its best defensive end. Clayborn is a quick-twitch player who made his teammates at Iowa better. His medical history is concerning and may only fit in an odd front.

Steeldude
03-14-2011, 06:37 AM
but if he drops back down to 290, he'll be a great guard

isn't that kind of light for a G nowadays?

Chidi29
03-14-2011, 03:11 PM
isn't that kind of light for a G nowadays?

It definitely is and is one of the biggest knocks against Hudson. Which is why he is best for a zone blocking scheme or playing left guard for us. The one plus of being undersized is the Legursky effect (or probably better said as the Mike Webster effect). By being such a small player who is never going to be a mauler, he's had to learn to play with excellent technique in the run game. To get your hands in the chest and between the armpits, to be able to hit a moving target, to keep his legs pumping, etc. Hudson does that to a "T".

Texasteel
03-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Well the Steelers thought enough of him to interview him, and they know what he will likely cost. I think I have said before that I'm not thrilled with his size, but the young man is a technician. He does in fact have the best blocking form, does that make sense, that I have seen.

Chidi29
03-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Well the Steelers thought enough of him to interview him, and they know what he will likely cost. I think I have said before that I'm not thrilled with his size, but the young man is a technician. He does in fact have the best blocking form, does that make sense, that I have seen.

Yeah, I get what you're saying Tex. And I agree.

7willBheaven
03-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Ya know Chidi...you should like highlight the picks you change in each draft..be it make the font a different color or something to stand out...as I was going to look at your new one here...but im like ahhh having to go back and forth between the 2 mocks. Not that i'm being lazy but its a pain and I'd like to know what you changed...and compare to my comment above/etc. Just a thought :-)

Chidi29
03-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Ya know Chidi...you should like highlight the picks you change in each draft..be it make the font a different color or something to stand out...as I was going to look at your new one here...but im like ahhh having to go back and forth between the 2 mocks. Not that i'm being lazy but its a pain and I'd like to know what you changed...and compare to my comment above/etc. Just a thought :-)

You're right, that's a really good point. I kinda hurriedly put it up.

I'd post the picks I changed but I actually ended up changing my mock again last night. When I post the updated one, I'll make a note as to which ones are new picks.

tube517
03-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Buffalo is a tough team to mock Chidi, people have been mocking the Bills all decade since Flutie left. :chuckle:

Just a question. I'm not doubting either of your picks for the Steelers because I know nothing nor do I pretend to know anything about the draft. Based on your observations of Ijalana and Hudson and how Tomlin likes his OLinemen to be flexible and play 2 or even 3 positions, which one of them would be more versatile?

Texasteel
03-16-2011, 06:30 AM
Chidi, Did you see where Mayock has Ijalana tied with Sherrod for 5th best OT? If Ijalana moves past Sherrod he will likely land in the 1st or very early 2nd round.

Chidi29
03-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Chidi, people have been mocking the Bills all decade since Flutie left. :chuckle:

Just a question. I'm not doubting either of your picks for the Steelers because I know nothing nor do I pretend to know anything about the draft. Based on your observations of Ijalana and Hudson and how Tomlin likes his OLinemen to be flexible and play 2 or even 3 positions, which one of them would be more versatile?

LOL!

Hudson has gotten some action at left tackle in college and like a lot of guards, can probably be taught to play center. His lack of size won't really effect him there.

Ijalana isn't as versatile. All of his starts came at left tackle. Of course, if you're going to move him inside to guard, then he is able to play right guard (and probably left guard} and left tackle if there was an injury.

Chidi29
03-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Chidi, Did you see where Mayock has Ijalana tied with Sherrod for 5th best OT? If Ijalana moves past Sherrod he will likely land in the 1st or very early 2nd round.

No I didn't see that. I don't think he'll be a successful tackle but I'm glad Mayock thinks highly of him.

I also hear that the Steelers are expressing a lot of interest in Kenrick Ellis.

Aussie_steeler
03-17-2011, 03:23 AM
No I didn't see that. I don't think he'll be a successful tackle but I'm glad Mayock thinks highly of him.

I also hear that the Steelers are expressing a lot of interest in Kenrick Ellis.

I think they will WEED out a lot of prior information on Ellis.

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/05/28/scs-kenrick-ellis-weeded-out/

He will not be a steeler IMO

Chidi29
03-17-2011, 09:16 AM
I think they will WEED out a lot of prior information on Ellis.

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/05/28/scs-kenrick-ellis-weeded-out/

He will not be a steeler IMO

I don't think that's going to be a big factor. I don't condone his actions, or allegeded actions, but he was a kid barely into his 20s at a big school in a new life. He made bad decisions. What college kid hasn't?

We didn't stop ourselves from drafting Santonio Holmes. Or getting rid of him the first time he got caught with weed.

I read an article yesterday that had Ellis talking about it. Didn't go into many details but seemed sincerely apologetic for his actions. It's not like we'd be giving him big money anyway. The risk is low.

The Duke
03-17-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't think that's going to be a big factor. I don't condone his actions, or allegeded actions, but he was a kid barely into his 20s at a big school in a new life. He made bad decisions. What college kid hasn't?

We didn't stop ourselves from drafting Santonio Holmes. Or getting rid of him the first time he got caught with weed.

I read an article yesterday that had Ellis talking about it. Didn't go into many details but seemed sincerely apologetic for his actions. It's not like we'd be giving him big money anyway. The risk is low.

I agree

besides, not like we would be using a 1st round pick on him. As a late 2nd/3rd he'd be worth the risk

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2011, 04:09 PM
I hope we dont take Ijalana if Costanzo is on the board still. Costanzo should be the #1 OT taken in the draft.

I also think that Rodney Hudson in the 1st is not a good move either. With guys like Marcus Cannon, Danny Watkins, John Moffit still around in the 2nd, I'd rather look at either a CB or OT. Colon and Adams are likely gone, Max Starks coming off a neck injury will need to be replaced in 2 seasons or less.

Chidi29
03-19-2011, 08:44 PM
I hope we dont take Ijalana if Costanzo is on the board still. Costanzo should be the #1 OT taken in the draft.

I also think that Rodney Hudson in the 1st is not a good move either. With guys like Marcus Cannon, Danny Watkins, John Moffit still around in the 2nd, I'd rather look at either a CB or OT. Colon and Adams are likely gone, Max Starks coming off a neck injury will need to be replaced in 2 seasons or less.

There are a lot of ways we could go. My choice isn't the only move to make, of course.

I'm less of a fan of Constanzo as you are so we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Tyron Smith is more athletic, just as good of a run blocker, and has more upside. Plus, we couldn't take Castonzo anyway. In my second updated mock, Castonzo comes off the board one pick ahead of us.

The best tackle that is left on the board is Sherrod. I view him as a pure left tackle and with us still having Starks, I wouldn't want to take him. Most times you're looking to take a tackle in the first round, he's supposed to start right away. Especially considering that Sherrod is not a project tackle.

I'm not buying into the idea of taking a CB in the first round. The team isn't either, only selecting two first since '79. In our off coverage scheme where we're asking our cornes to be physical and solid tacklers instead of ballhawks, you don't need to take one early. I'm still hoping we can get a deal done with Taylor. I know he loves it here and loves playing for a guy like Dick LeBeau. Tomlin too. Coach is a guy who doesn't mind its players having some swag.

I know Hudson is light but I really like him. My number one guard.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2011, 11:48 PM
-I agree that Sherrod looks like an athletic LT only and not a really good run blocker yet.

-Curious, if Hudson is your #1 guard, then why is Pouncey going 8 spots ahead in your mock?

-Costanzo is the most technically sound OT in the draft with very good feet. I think he will be the first OT taken....maybe second if somebody gambles on Tyron Smith's upside.

-I think the odds of the Steelers taking interior O lineman back to back in the 1st round is a long shot.

Chidi29
03-20-2011, 09:10 AM
-I agree that Sherrod looks like an athletic LT only and not a really good run blocker yet.

-Curious, if Hudson is your #1 guard, then why is Pouncey going 8 spots ahead in your mock?

-Costanzo is the most technically sound OT in the draft with very good feet. I think he will be the first OT taken....maybe second if somebody gambles on Tyron Smith's upside.

-I think the odds of the Steelers taking interior O lineman back to back in the 1st round is a long shot.

Because from everything I've heard, Pouncey's stock is higher and I wanted my mock to be somewhat plausible. I hate Blaine Gabbert, rank him as my number seven QB, but realize he's going to be a top fifteen pick. Could go as high as number one.

I get your point about taking interior lineman back-to-back, but the area is still needed to be upgraded. If it's still a problem and the board dictates taking a player at the position, you do it regardless of what happened last year.

Chidi29
03-24-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm through the first three rounds of my mock. Wanted to get your guy's opinion before I went any farther. I'll explain briefly the reason for each pick.

Round 1 - Rodney Hudson/OG FSU: Pick hasn't changed. He's still my number one guard who is technically sound and as athletic as they come. His small size has forced him to play with near perfect technique. And the guy simply didn't commit penalties or blown assignments in college. Really smart kid.

Round 2 - Curtis Brown/CB Texas: Never got to watch the kid play so I'm going off of what other people have said. Read he is a willing tackler and best and most importantly of all, has very quick feet. I think Ike Taylor will be back but it's no guarantee and you can never have enough corners in this day and age. Though I'm not sure where a guy like McFadden could play. He's a bit longer and doesn't turn that well. Don't know if he could play nickel back and I love B-Mac against the run. Decisions, decisions...

Round 3 - Joseph Barksdale/OT LSU: I am afraid that this is a little high though I do like Barksdale and have him rated as my #8 OT. The more I think about it, the less likely it is that Willie Colon comes back. I even read that Tomlin said he isn't closing the door on moving him inside. Not sure what the specifics of the quote was, because the reporter did not quote Tomlin when he reported it, but in my view, even the thought of moving Colon inside makes me think that the team isn't confident in his lateral movement coming off his torn Achilles. And that's assuming he doesn't hit free agency. Think of Barksdale as a copy of Flozell Adams.

Texasteel
03-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Curtis Brown has been my guy from early in the year. I was disappointed in his combine 40 time, I think he is faster than that, should have been in the mid 4.4s. He does support the run defense very nicely, and has great closing speed. He can also go vertical with the best of them. To be honest, I liked him a little better than Williams. Would be delighted with this pick.

I think Barksdale has all the tools but not sure of his desire. I watch a lot of LSU, and he just never seemed to play up to his ability. I think with the right OL coach, and we have him, he could be a better Pro player than he was in school. Not sure I wouldn't have gone with Brewer but can't really fault this pick.

Do me a favor Chidi. Before you make your late picks take a look at Chris Prosinski, FS, Wyoming. I've been watching this kid for a little while now and hoped to sneak off with him. His Pro day has put an end to that hope. I now have him penciled in as my 6th round pick.

Chidi29
03-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Curtis Brown has been my guy from early in the year. I was disappointed in his combine 40 time, I think he is faster than that, should have been in the mid 4.4s. He does support the run defense very nicely, and has great closing speed. He can also go vertical with the best of them. To be honest, I liked him a little better than Williams. Would be delighted with this pick.

I think Barksdale has all the tools but not sure of his desire. I watch a lot of LSU, and he just never seemed to play up to his ability. I think with the right OL coach, and we have him, he could be a better Pro player than he was in school. Not sure I wouldn't have gone with Brewer but can't really fault this pick.

Do me a favor Chidi. Before you make your late picks take a look at Chris Prosinski, FS, Wyoming. I've been watching this kid for a little while now and hoped to sneak off with him. His Pro day has put an end to that hope. I now have him penciled in as my 6th round pick.

Yeah I remember you speaking highly of Brown in the fast. I'm not worried about his timed speed. In this zone scheme, you don't need to be blazing fast. How fast do you think McFadden runs? Probably a 4.6.

I don't recall seeing Barksdale play lazily. He probably hasn't hit his ceiling of being a true mauler but I don't see any major issues of him being lazy. That's just me though. My biggest concern for Barksdale, and I usually don't care about things like this, is the recent history of lineman LSU has. Ciron Black and Herman Johnson, players with similar builds and successful college careers, have done nothing at the next level.

Tell me more about Brewer. I really don't know anything about him. I'm stuck on the third round until comp picks come out so I have time to make changes.

I'll keep my eyes and ears out on this Wyoming kid. Maybe even sneak in a game on espn3 if I can find one.

Aussie_steeler
03-25-2011, 03:31 AM
I am sorry Chidi. I just dont see Hudson as a legitimate first round pick.

I get that he is a near perfect technician but i just dont see him as a steeler first round pick.

Why??

1. he is light. He will get pushed around and likely wear down over the course of a NFL season. I just dont see him fitting the steeler profile ( too short, too light)

2. on top of being light he is slower and less explosive than guys who are geniunely considered mid second round picks. Marcus Cannon is the same athlete, arguably better for some, than Hudson. Cannon also has tackle potential. Give me the dual threat O lineman that has the technique, power and speed.

3. His current value is mid to late second round as a center / guard in a zone blocking scheme. If he is going to be drafted by somebody in the first 45 picks I can see it as a center. I could be very wrong but power is still predicated in the steeler line philosophy. I just dont see him pulling and pulverising a D lineman or LB on a running play and then locking down on the second level.

4. With the amount of time that Ben spends scrambling around in the pocket, I just dont see Hudson being able to lock onto his man and hold him at bay for 4 -5 seconds. Yes he may get position first but a proven NFL lineman will overpower him to get to the QB

5. He is competing with Stefen Wisniewski for the number #2 center behind Mike Pouncey. At this point I have Wisniewski as a player that would be a better fit for the steelers than Hudson at the same point in the draft.

dont get me wrong Chidi - Hudson is a good player and he may well be a star on a ZBS team.

I just dont see him as a steeler.

I can understand your position and power to you for sticking with him. ( If I am totally wrong I will gladly suck eggs.)

Brown and Barksdale are sound picks. CB in round 2 is almost a given if one is not taken in the first.
#3 for Barksdale might be a bit high but the steelers have shown that the 3rd round is a place where they are willing to gamble to definitely their man who might be a 4th to 5th round prospect.

i am keen to see how you fill out the rest of your mock.

Chidi29
03-25-2011, 03:50 PM
I am sorry Chidi. I just dont see Hudson as a legitimate first round pick.

I get that he is a near perfect technician but i just dont see him as a steeler first round pick.

Why??

1. he is light. He will get pushed around and likely wear down over the course of a NFL season. I just dont see him fitting the steeler profile ( too short, too light)

2. on top of being light he is slower and less explosive than guys who are geniunely considered mid second round picks. Marcus Cannon is the same athlete, arguably better for some, than Hudson. Cannon also has tackle potential. Give me the dual threat O lineman that has the technique, power and speed.

3. His current value is mid to late second round as a center / guard in a zone blocking scheme. If he is going to be drafted by somebody in the first 45 picks I can see it as a center. I could be very wrong but power is still predicated in the steeler line philosophy. I just dont see him pulling and pulverising a D lineman or LB on a running play and then locking down on the second level.

4. With the amount of time that Ben spends scrambling around in the pocket, I just dont see Hudson being able to lock onto his man and hold him at bay for 4 -5 seconds. Yes he may get position first but a proven NFL lineman will overpower him to get to the QB

5. He is competing with Stefen Wisniewski for the number #2 center behind Mike Pouncey. At this point I have Wisniewski as a player that would be a better fit for the steelers than Hudson at the same point in the draft.

dont get me wrong Chidi - Hudson is a good player and he may well be a star on a ZBS team.

I just dont see him as a steeler.

I can understand your position and power to you for sticking with him. ( If I am totally wrong I will gladly suck eggs.)

Brown and Barksdale are sound picks. CB in round 2 is almost a given if one is not taken in the first.
#3 for Barksdale might be a bit high but the steelers have shown that the 3rd round is a place where they are willing to gamble to definitely their man who might be a 4th to 5th round prospect.

i am keen to see how you fill out the rest of your mock.

1. He didn't get pushed around at Florida St. Sure, there were times were he got blown back a little by larger defensive linemna but it wasn't a consistent, glaring issue. Hudson also has the ability to reset if he's been beat. In pass protection, he'll give up a foot to reset his feet and get into his proper stance if he starts to get too upright. He also didn't have any injury issues in college. He was a four year starter.

2. Cannon moves well relative to his size but Hudson is definitely the better athlete.

3. Yes, there are a lot of people that think he'll have to play center at the next level. And he would do great in a zone blocking scheme. He could play either guard spot there. But in our more traditional power blocking scheme, he'd play LG where he wouldn't have to be as much of a mauler. He won't have to be part of the double team block when we pull the left guard. He won't have to turn the DT to the inside on 22 double.

Just because he's light doesn't mean he can't trap block. Zone blocking schemes use trap blocks, no? It isn't even as much about the power, though that obviously helps. It's about being able to locate and hit a moving target. As I noted in my scouting report of Hudson, he has the ability to hit a moving target. One play that really stuck out to me was a running play to the right, away from Hudson. Hudson engaged the DT and the DT tried to get off the block, seeing which the direction the run had gone. Hudson was able to shuffle to his right and stay locked on. This wasn't an instance of him pulling but it shows how technically sound he is, how good his hand placement is, and how well he moves laterally.

There are benefits of Kemoeatu playing RG. Even on trap blocks. One underrated compontent of the trap block is the C and RG's play. They can't get blown back. If they do, the pulling guard has to take a wider angle and can't get to the hole in time. Never ends well.

And as I've said before, having Hudson allows us to pull to either side. We can go with a 2 TE set and teams won't be able to bank on a trap block to the right. We can work either side. The majority of times we pulled from the right side, running to the left, Heath was the lead blocker. Bleh.

And hey, if Darnell Stapleton can start a season and Super Bowl for us, at right guard no less, then Rodney Hudson can contribute.

Aussie_steeler
03-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the feedback in relation to my points. I guess at the end of the day I think Colbert is going to go with a Junior prospect on D in the first round.

How does Hudson stack up off the field? Is he a candidate, similar to Ziggy Hood, that would shift the FO to steer away from their philosophy of drafting underclassmen for future development?

And as I've said before, having Hudson allows us to pull to either side. We can go with a 2 TE set and teams won't be able to bank on a trap block to the right. We can work either side. The majority of times we pulled from the right side, running to the left, Heath was the lead blocker.

Do you see a blocking TE as a realistic option in this draft. I know that the steelers have interviewed a few TE's at the combine. I agree that variety out of a 2 TE set would be nice thing to see in the future.

Texasteel
03-25-2011, 05:37 PM
I don't recall seeing Barksdale play lazily. He probably hasn't hit his ceiling of being a true mauler but I don't see any major issues of him being lazy. That's just me though. My biggest concern for Barksdale, and I usually don't care about things like this, is the recent history of lineman LSU has. Ciron Black and Herman Johnson, players with similar builds and successful college careers, have done nothing at the next level.

Don't forget about Andrew Whitworth.

Tell me more about Brewer. I really don't know anything about him. I'm stuck on the third round until comp picks come out so I have time to make changes.

I'll keep my eyes and ears out on this Wyoming kid. Maybe even sneak in a game on espn3 if I can find one.

Don't know if I would call Barksdale lazy, maybe just a little bit of an underachiever for the ability I think he has, and that may be something that can be coached out of him.

Brewer is the same size as Barksdale with good upper body strength. He is very athletic with good lateral movement and long arms. He is projected as a RT or OG but with his quicker than normal feet I think he might be able to be coached into a LT. More of a finesse blocker than a mauler, maybe because he dose seem to lack a mean streak. As you might have guessed he is a much better pass blocker that run blocker. He gave up 2 sack on a team that was 14th nationally in passing. Now the worse of it. He has had problems with ankle injury's his whole collage career. He miss the entire 07 season because of it, and missed 3 games this year because of it. This very well could put me in the Barksdale camp.

Chidi29
03-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the feedback in relation to my points. I guess at the end of the day I think Colbert is going to go with a Junior prospect on D in the first round.

How does Hudson stack up off the field? Is he a candidate, similar to Ziggy Hood, that would shift the FO to steer away from their philosophy of drafting underclassmen for future development?

Do you see a blocking TE as a realistic option in this draft. I know that the steelers have interviewed a few TE's at the combine. I agree that variety out of a 2 TE set would be nice thing to see in the future.

I do remember the impressive work you did in compiling a record of previous first round picks by Colbert. And hey, you could be right. I have no clue what is going to happen and in my three previous years of doing seven round mocks, I've never gotten a Steelers pick right. Which is of course, a big vote of confidence to how accurate my Hudson pick will be.

Can you clarify what you mean when you ask how Hudson is off the field? You mean character-wise?

Like I said, the work you did was impressive, but I can't buy into the thought of Colbert feeling obligated to take an underclassmen on defense just because that is his track record. Each draft is independent of each other. Sure, there are preferences but you take the best player on the board who can help your team the most. Regardless of what his status is.

As for the blocking tight end, sure I can see it. I think Spaeth is a better blocker than people give him credit for but he's a free agent. And in general, blocking tight ends are going to be in higher demand. They're easy to find but with teams getting away from a fullback, they're looking to having that #2 tight end be the equivalent. That's why so many TEs were taken last year.

Chidi29
03-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Don't know if I would call Barksdale lazy, maybe just a little bit of an underachiever for the ability I think he has, and that may be something that can be coached out of him.

Brewer is the same size as Barksdale with good upper body strength. He is very athletic with good lateral movement and long arms. He is projected as a RT or OG but with his quicker than normal feet I think he might be able to be coached into a LT. More of a finesse blocker than a mauler, maybe because he dose seem to lack a mean streak. As you might have guessed he is a much better pass blocker that run blocker. He gave up 2 sack on a team that was 14th nationally in passing. Now the worse of it. He has had problems with ankle injury's his whole collage career. He miss the entire 07 season because of it, and missed 3 games this year because of it. This very well could put me in the Barksdale camp.

Considering the superb job Sean Kugler did with a M.A.S.H unit last year, I don't have any doubts he can lit the needed fire under Barksdale.

Thanks for the info on Brewer Tex. I am concerned with the lack of mean streak more than anything else. Gotta have that in a lineman. It's not a job for everyone; you have to want to go out and do the dirty work.

Aussie_steeler
03-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Can you clarify what you mean when you ask how Hudson is off the field? You mean character-wise?

Sorry - Thats what I mean. If he is a really high character guy then I can see a team wanting to take him much earlier than projected.

The only information I can locate is that he is highly respected by his coaching staff. Sometimes exceptional student athletes with great off the field intangibles can really impress an organisation.

Chidi29
03-25-2011, 11:35 PM
I've heard the same. No red flags in terms of character for Hudson.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-27-2011, 01:32 PM

I like Barksdale, but again he had a disappointing year and is inconsistent. Maybe a guy that has LT frame and size, but may only end up playing RT. Really, he looks like a smaller version of Max Starks to me....so if we want him for RT, then OK.

Brewer is an athlete, maybe not as polished and needs a year of coaching up before playing RT then moving to the left side. Playing LT is a technical position and being a nasty slobbering physical guy is more the profile of a OG or a DT. I think Brewer is good 2nd round or later value on a guy with upside that could be a starting LT in the league. here is a video on him speaking about protecting the QB.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e586e5/James-Brewer-vignette

remember, run blocking is where the O lineman gets to be the hammer. Pass protection is where he is the nail. For those that identify our offense as pass first and often, then Brewer can be a fit.

Aussie_steeler
03-29-2011, 01:16 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Rodney-Hudson-to-meet-with-Steelers.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

You get your wish CHIDI. looks like the steelers are bringing him in

Chidi29
03-29-2011, 07:21 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Rodney-Hudson-to-meet-with-Steelers.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

You get your wish CHIDI. looks like the steelers are bringing him in

Lol! Was just about to post this. Glad we're taking a look. Though it's so tough to figure out the players we're actually interested in. Was reading an article by Greg Gabriel, the former Director of Scouting for the Bears, who said he'd mix up he reasons why he brought players in. One year, he'd bring in the players he truly liked. Other years, he'd bring players he didn't like. He didn't want the media to be able to get a read on his thoughts and intentions.

I want to make sure it's clear that I don't have tunnel vision on selecting Hudson. I've heard you guys talk about taking Cannon or Ijalana. I'd be happy with either. I had Ijalana to us in the first mock that I did.

Chidi29
04-10-2011, 06:57 PM

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a Wyoming game on espn. I can't get as good of a look at him as I wanted to and had to go off of highlight videos which you obviously have to question the reliability of.

Having said that, he looked worthy of being drafted.

There were three things that really stuck out to me.

1. Closing speed. He timed fast in the 40 but I think his closing speed is even more impressive. He locks on and closes really quickly against the run and pass.

2. Tackling. Very solid. Doesn't lazily use arm tackles. Puts his whole body into it and drives his hips.

3. Awareness. Very heady kid. Reads his keys. There was one play where he saw the guards and tackles pulling, read a screen, closed and made the tackle. Another where he saw the line cut blocking, knowing it'd be a quick throw. He was able to close on his man. And he does a great job pursuing in traffic against the run. He often had a lot of mess to go through to find the ballcarrier but consistently did.

He at least is worth a team taking him in the 7th.

Chidi29
04-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Tom Shaw, the trainer who was worked with current and former Steelers like Ike Taylor and Santonio Holmes, spoke glowingly of Proniski saying he had the best vert and broad jump of the group he had and was very "low maintinence".

7willBheaven
04-10-2011, 10:36 PM
So whens your next big mock update coming...its been a while...you slackin Chidi? hhahah

Texasteel
04-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Tom Shaw, the trainer who was worked with current and former Steelers like Ike Taylor and Santonio Holmes, spoke glowingly of Proniski saying he had the best vert and broad jump of the group he had and was very "low maintinence".

Thanks Chili, I've really gotten to like the young man, and I thought he was a big sleeper, but isn't as much of a sleeper any more. I guess if we can find them so can these teams.

Chidi29
04-11-2011, 04:06 PM
So whens your next big mock update coming...its been a while...you slackin Chidi? hhahah

Lol, it's coming. Close to unveiling the whole thing. All seven rounds of every team with explanations for every pick. Just need to put some finishing touches on it.