PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Show on Grass? Could the Steelers Offense Be Like the 99-01 Rams?

SteelerEmpire
03-06-2011, 01:16 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/148/689/109087701_crop_340x234.jpg?1299339497

By
Nick Signorelli
(Steelers Featured Columnist) on March 5, 2011 - Pittsburgh

The Steelers are great because of their defense.

The Steelers are only as good as their running game takes them.

The Steelers are NEVER going to be a team that scores a lot of points.

Ben Roethlisberger is simply along for the ride.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/627164-greatest-show-on-grass-could-the-steelers-offense-be-like-the-99-01-rams?source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers

Godfather
03-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Great find, thanks!!

I would put Blount at #1. Different positions might make for an apples to oranges comparison, but the fact that they changed the rules to contain #47 sets him apart from everyone else.

Count Steeler
03-06-2011, 05:56 PM
I think we all see what this Steelers offense can do. 9 minute drives, quick strikes, you name it. Just need health and consistency. I would love to see what this unit could do if it was together for 16 (or 18) games.

Merchant
03-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Yup. Consistency seems to be the problem. Good example the AFCCG. First half they were killing it - looked unstoppable at points. Second half - 0 points.

Devilsdancefloor
03-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Yup. Consistency seems to be the problem. Good example the AFCCG. First half they were killing it - looked unstoppable at points. Second half - 0 points.

i think that is a coaching thing and then they try to turn it on again and cant flip that switch, but if they would just keep the foot firmly in place on the throat there would be no problems.

zulater
03-06-2011, 11:12 PM
The Steelers line hasn't been good enough for them to become an elite offense.

Steeldude
03-07-2011, 01:19 AM
ridiculous article or should i say blog. the guy who wrote it is bias. the steelers will never be like the 99-01 rams.

warner > BR

BR will never be like warner and warner will never be BR. BR simply can't read the field quickly enough. can BR move better than warner? yes, but warner didn't need to move because he could read the field very quickly.

fansince'76
03-07-2011, 05:48 AM
The Steelers line hasn't been good enough for them to become an elite offense.

Bingo.

the steelers will never be like the 99-01 rams.

warner > BR

Hope not. Outside of one winning season ('03), what have the Rams done since '01 besides suck? That team was a flash in the pan. And as far as Warner being better than BR, hard to say judging by the total body of work, IMO. Warner had a number of downright awful years after '01 as I recall - a couple of them were far worse than any BR has had. The guy lost a job to Eli Manning and was forced to share QB duties with a huge bust (Leinart) at one point, after all.

X-Terminator
03-07-2011, 06:17 AM
ridiculous article or should i say blog. the guy who wrote it is bias. the steelers will never be like the 99-01 rams.

warner > BR

BR will never be like warner and warner will never be BR. BR simply can't read the field quickly enough. can BR move better than warner? yes, but warner didn't need to move because he could read the field very quickly.

Warner had the benefit of some elite WR (Bruce, Holt in STL; Fitz, Boldin in ARI) and an elite RB (Faulk in STL), not to mention a great OL in STL. Yet, that team won just the one SB in '99. And as FS stated, he had some BRUTAL years after 2001 until he was ultimately dumped by STL and then NYG. That's not to say Warner wasn't a great QB, but let's be honest - he had plenty of help. Ben has gotten it done consistently with less talent than Warner has had in his best seasons, not to mention he beat Warner in SB 43. The OL is the only thing really keeping Ben from putting up huge numbers, because the offense has plenty of talent everywhere else.

HometownGal
03-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Ben has gotten it done consistently with less talent than Warner has had in his best seasons, not to mention he beat Warner in SB 43. The OL is the only thing really keeping Ben from putting up huge numbers, because the offense has plenty of talent everywhere else.

Ding ding ding - we have a winner! :drink:

Texasteel
03-07-2011, 07:02 AM
But Its Ben. Everyone knows that Ben is just a game manager. Where as Warner is well know for consistently taking the team on his back and winning games.:doh:

Even some Steeler fans look down on Ben, just because he is a Steeler.

SteelerSal
03-07-2011, 07:09 AM
While I liked Warner..I will never say agree that he is greater than Ben. Both of them have totally different styles of play and have positives and negatives about them but the biggest positive that I will take everyday is on Ben's side and that's his consistancy to win with average to below average players around him on offense.

tube517
03-07-2011, 09:20 AM
I don't want to be like the '99-'01 Rams. High scoring offenses tend to fall short in the Super Bowl. (80-82 Chargers, 83 Redskins, 84 Dolphins, 98 Vikings, 01 Rams, 02 Raiders, 07 Patriots*, etc all fell short) The '99 Rams were really the only high scoring offense to win it all because they had a solid defense. With this offense, they can run and pass. Just need consistency, like others have said. A healthy decent OL would go a long way to helping that.

As far as BR vs Warner, Warner is the better pure passer, BR is the better football player. Looking at BR's stats, he put up great numbers in 07 and 09. He has the capability to put up numbers. I'll take 2 Super Bowls and 3 AFC Championships over a bunch of passing titles. As Tomlin says, they don't put up passing title trophies in the Heinz Field trophy room.

SteelerEmpire
03-07-2011, 09:39 AM
... I'll take 2 Super Bowls and 3 AFC Championships over a bunch of passing titles. As Tomlin says, they don't put up passing title trophies in the Heinz Field trophy room.

This... And most people cannot tell you how many yards, TD's, etc... a QB passed for in his career. But they can tell you how many SB's they have won...

steeldevil
03-07-2011, 09:46 AM
I dont think we will ever be that dominant on offense.

And everyone that is talking about Warner or the Rams only winning one super bowl:remember, they had the 01 superbowl stolen from them by you know who...

Bluecoat96
03-07-2011, 09:56 AM
If we still had Santonio, the "Greatest Show on Grass" would take on an entirely different meaning. :wink02:

tube517
03-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Also, what did ole Kurt do in the mid 2000's? A bunch of injury riddled mediocre seasons.

This... And most people cannot tell you how many yards, TD's, etc... a QB passed for in his career. But they can tell you how many SB's they have won...

polamalubeast
03-07-2011, 10:43 AM
FIRE Mike Tomlin

HIRE Mike Martz

:rolleyes::rolleyes::pray::sarcasm:

Butch
03-07-2011, 12:46 PM
This was the same thing I heard leading up to the Superbowl by a couple of Knuckle headed stat driven whiners on San Antonio's morning show. Everything they stated was based soley on stats and that Ben had to win the superbowl to be considered an elite player. Stats are all fine and dandy but when you consider Ben also had to endure an onslaught of revolving door recievers, Plex gone, ARE gone and back again, Washington gone, Santonio gone and he still gets it done.

Ben is a very different type of Ellite QB he wins big games on a regular basis. Usually in crunch time we along with the team we are playing holds their breaths with every down why becuase nobody can stage a come back like Big Ben!!! More times than not Ben comes through. I could certainly make the arguement that in 43 he deserved MVP along with Harrison and Santonio. Hell he threw the perfect pass to Santonio just one play before and Santonio let it go right through his fingers. What did Ben do??? He came right back to him and again put the pass exactly where it had to be.

Ben is very much like this team, not perfect, never go down without a fight, blue collar game winning QB!!! He is very much a different type of an Ellite QB.

Sorry but Ben is Very much Greater than kurt, and still has a ways to go!!!