PDA

View Full Version : Wexell - cornerback class and how it affects the steelers

Aussie_steeler
03-06-2011, 03:00 AM
Two interesting snippets from a Wexell article that surfaced a week ago. Dont know how I missed this one

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/2/28/2021805/2011-combine-cornerback-prospects-jim-wexell-steelers-potential-draft-picks

On which cornerbacks he was impressed by at the Combine and who he thinks is worth keeping a close eye on:

Well, I asked a couple of those third round corners and they said, yes. A guy like Brandon Burton has two scheduled meetings with the Steelers -- they guy from Utah who did such a good job covering John Ball in the opener. Rashard Carmichael who said he hoped to get drafted by the Steelers; his best friend is Jason Worilds. He has a formal meeting set up with the Steelers. There are formal degrees of interest. I took his information down, therefore some people promote that as interest. Other times there are formal meetings with the position coach, the offensive coordinator. Then there was a formal meeting with Mike Tomlin; then there's two meetings that Brandon Burton is getting, so he's a guy to keep an eye on."

Whether he agrees with the segment of the Steelers fanbase that isn't interested in seeing another project-type CB taken in the mid-rounds:
"Well, I agree with that, but at the bottom of the first round there's no one really to love. There's a guy Raheem Moore, who was a free safety at UCLA, and under the tutelage of the great Carnell Lake he had ten interceptions his sophomore year. Last year, his junior year, he had one and Lake wasn't there. I don't know if that has anything to do with each other. I asked him who he looks up to hoping to get a Troy Polamalu answer. And he said Ed Reed. Ed Reed is my mentor. I owe everything to Ed Reed. I said what about Carnell Lake? He said, oh yeah, he was good too.

Also of interest is the take on both Jimmy Smith and Aaron Williams.

Steeldude
03-06-2011, 06:26 AM
carmichael sounds like another gay(no pun intended)

these two sound like typical CBs for a scheme that places them 8 to 10 yards off the line and to allow all passes underneath. dime a dozen.

i really don't expect the secondary to get any better. i expect it to get a lot worse. lebeau will play his passive defense in 2011 and pray teams make mistakes.