PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers, Roethlisberger move into elite QB ranks

stillers4me
03-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Neither Ben Roethlisberger nor Aaron Rodgers was voted to this year’s Pro Bowl, but there’s a good argument they’ve been the NFL’s best two quarterbacks down the home stretch of this season.

Both have many of the qualities teams look for at that position, but what separates them from almost all the other elite quarterbacks in the league is their ability to scramble and make plays on the move.

Among the top quarterbacks this season, they’re more athletic and mobile than Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan. Only Philadelphia’s Michael Vick was more mobile, but by the end of the season, he’d proven to be not nearly as good as Roethlisberger and Rodgers from the pocket. The only top quarterback with comparable athletic and throwing ability to the two Super Bowl starters is Tampa Bay’s ascending Josh Freeman, who at age 23 isn’t the finished product they are..........

read more @ http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110205/PKR01/110205043/0/GPG1008/Rodgers-Roethlisberger-play-their-way-into-elite-QB-ranks?odyssey=nav%7Chead

stillers4me
03-05-2011, 07:23 AM
So....Aaron Rogers wins one SB and he's now elite. Ben has won 2 and played in 3 and they still argue whether he is elite? :upyours:

Kaeg
03-05-2011, 07:29 AM
So....Aaron Rogers wins one SB and he's now elite. Ben has won 2 and played in 3 and they still argue whether he is elite? :upyours:

^^ This was almost my exact reaction when I began reading this. Hehehe.

stillers4me
03-05-2011, 07:30 AM
^^ This was almost my exact reaction when I began reading this. Hehehe.

the article wan't bad...it is the headline that burns me.

st33lersguy
03-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Roethlisberger didn't move into the elite ranks just now, he's been elite since his game winning TD drive in superbowl 43

Godfather
03-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Didn't you get the memo? Ben is overrated. All he's ever done is ride the defense.

HometownGal
03-05-2011, 09:05 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Not to take anything away from Rodgers as he is a damned good QB, but he is the new media darling, so get ready to hear the jocks slurping all over him next season. :jerkit:

I don't give a fook what they think - our Ben IS an elite NFL QB and the proof is in the puddin'.

BigPoppaG
03-05-2011, 10:30 AM
The entire Elite QB status is horse shit to begin with.

It all started when they said that Carson Palmer was an elite QB!:huh:

Psycho Ward 86
03-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Wow guys really, give credit where credit is due. Rodgers could've torched God if he played against him in the playoffs. He's one of the best in all facets of quarterbacking. Name a weakness, seriously.

fansince'76
03-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Didn't you get the memo? Ben is overrated. All he's ever done is ride the defense.

....and the running game. Funny how we had arguably better defenses and/or running games any number of years during Cowher's tenure than we had in 2005 or 2008 yet didn't win jack shit. Bottom line is Ben doesn't post numbers that make the fantasy football nerds cream themselves, so he doesn't get much credit.

The Duke
03-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Wow guys really, give credit where credit is due. Rodgers could've torched God if he played against him in the playoffs. He's one of the best in all facets of quarterbacking. Name a weakness, seriously.

um, I don't think anyone is saying anything bad about rodgers. We all saw what he did against us in the bowl, and throughout most of his career. Is the media over hype what people are hating on, which will only get worse (manning-brady level)

Ben and Rodgers play the game the way it should be played- with balls. THAT's why they are elite to me

screw the stats!

polamalubeast
03-05-2011, 02:06 PM
The people he said that Roethlisberger is not in the elite are stupid!

Here are several reasons why Roethlisberger is in the elite

The Steelers had an excellent defense in the year of Bill Cowher, but they had not won a Super Bowl has its first 12 years was because they did not have elite QB!.......In the 2nd year they have Roethlisberger, Bettis and Cowher won their first Super Bowl!.........Then, if the Steelers decide to give 102 million Roethlisberger was in March 2008, its means it is very important to the team!

Roethlisberger is one of the best in NFL history for average yards per pass attempt!..........It has 5 seasons with a QB rating over 97. ......In 13 playoff games with Ben as QB, the Steelers scoring 348 points, it is an average of 27 points per game and has only Troy Aikmen and Kurt Warner is better than Ben in the history of the NFL for the average points score in the playoffs....... Roethlisberger had one season of 4000 yards in 2009 and 2010 he had 3200 yards in 12 games, so he had his 2nd straight season of over 4,000 yards if he had not been suspended.

He was 13-0 in his rookie season and became the first QB in the history of the NFL is the time won the rookie of the year!........ Roethlisberger has a record of 69-29 in his career, he is the 2nd best winning percentage in the active QB behind Tom Brady........ Ben Roethlisberger is 9-2 in his career against the Ravens ... The Steelers are 0-5 when Ben Roethlisberger did not play against the Ravens since 2004.

Roethlisberger was 10-3 in playoff participation with 3 super bowl and he won 2........ He also won 3 of its 4 games in the AFC TITLE....... In 2005 he became the youngest QB in history has won the super bowl......It has many impressive stats!

Count Steeler
03-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Isn't it time to say Manning and Brady WERE elite quarterbacks? Until they win another playoff game, they are yesterday's news. Rivers doesn't even belong in the conversation until he does SOMETHING in the playoffs.

SteelerEmpire
03-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Oh yea. I think its about to really be Ben's time. I think we're gonna see some of the best all around Steeler football yet to come as well...

Psycho Ward 86
03-05-2011, 05:09 PM
um, I don't think anyone is saying anything bad about rodgers. We all saw what he did against us in the bowl, and throughout most of his career.

Well sure they are, they're downplaying the fact that Rodgers is elite "just because" he won a superbowl, much like fans of other teams were doing to us when they downplayed Ben's ability when he won his first superbowl. Rodgers did it in far more convincing fashion, and so far in his short playoff career, he is the most efficient QB in NFL history. I don't see how he isn't elite.

86WARD
03-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Isn't it time to say Manning and Brady WERE elite quarterbacks? Until they win another playoff game, they are yesterday's news. Rivers doesn't even belong in the conversation until he does SOMETHING in the playoffs.

36 TD's and 4 INT's ='s Elite.

Ben's a Top 3-4 QB. No doubt.

X-Terminator
03-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Well sure they are, they're downplaying the fact that Rodgers is elite "just because" he won a superbowl, much like fans of other teams were doing to us when they downplayed Ben's ability when he won his first superbowl. Rodgers did it in far more convincing fashion, and so far in his short playoff career, he is the most efficient QB in NFL history. I don't see how he isn't elite.

Again, NO ONE discounts that Rodgers is one of the best in the game. Steelers fans are just sick and tired of Ben constantly being left out of the conversation when it comes to elite QBs. What else does the guy have to do to get the respect that he's earned and deserved? He's been to the SB 3 times in the past 6 seasons, winning twice, is one of the most clutch QBs in the game and his playoff win percentage speaks for itself. Rodgers gets to the SB once, wins, and now he's the media's new love interest. In other words, it's the MEDIA, not Rodgers, that we are really pissed at.

The Duke
03-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Again, NO ONE discounts that Rodgers is one of the best in the game. Steelers fans are just sick and tired of Ben constantly being left out of the conversation when it comes to elite QBs. What else does the guy have to do to get the respect that he's earned and deserved? He's been to the SB 3 times in the past 6 seasons, winning twice, is one of the most clutch QBs in the game and his playoff win percentage speaks for itself. Rodgers gets to the SB once, wins, and now he's the media's new love interest. In other words, it's the MEDIA, not Rodgers, that we are really pissed at.

but Ben is carried by his defense!

well hello there packers #2 ranked defense. With an actually good secondary....

steelreserve
03-06-2011, 02:26 AM

Dude ... Rodgers would've been "elite" if he'd lost the Super Bowl 56-0. The Bears game in the NFCCG was the turning point; they were waiting for any excuse to crown him. Rodgers could get busted for raping an underage girl on the front lawn of the White House at high noon, and the media would call it "innovative." He's just one of those guys they targeted a while ago for getting in and out of limos in front of a crowd of photographers, and it sucks that we have to hear about nothing else for the next 10 years. Personally pisses me off even more that he had to be on the Packers and do something positive for that toilet bowl of a city.

Oh well, hopefully they'll have a Day After Tomorrow whiteout and everyone up there will freeze to death. I wonder if they'll like American football in Costa Rica.

O'Malley
03-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Fuck Rogers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steeldevil
03-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I think they were both already top 6 or so in the league. Maybe thats just me...