PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Harrison has second surgery on back

stillers4me
03-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison underwent a second surgery on his back this morning but it is not considered much of a setback for the four-time Pro Bowler.

Harrison had surgery last week to repair a herniated disc. His agent, Bill Parise, said Harrison needed a second surgery as “follow up” procedure. Parise said the need to operate again did not arise from any complications following the first surgery.

“They needed to go back in there and clean it up some more,” Parise said. “Everything’s fine.”............

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_725462.html

SteelGhost
03-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison underwent a second surgery on his back this morning but it is not considered much of a setback for the four-time Pro Bowler.

Harrison had surgery last week to repair a herniated disc. His agent, Bill Parise, said Harrison needed a second surgery as “follow up” procedure. Parise said the need to operate again did not arise from any complications following the first surgery.

“They needed to go back in there and clean it up some more,” Parise said. “Everything’s fine.”............

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_725462.html

I hope so :pray:

steelerdude15
03-02-2011, 03:22 PM
I had no clue about a second surgery, I hope he recovers soon!

Count Steeler
03-02-2011, 03:55 PM
That makes me nervous.

Chidi29
03-02-2011, 04:03 PM
That makes me nervous.

Me too. I wasn't really concerned after the first surgery because hey, a lot of guys go under the knife in the offseason (Essex and Ward have) but anytime you hear "we found something else" you get a pit in the bottom of your stomach.

HometownGal
03-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Surgeries need to be "cleaned up" quite regularly - I know that all too well. Let's all take the wait and see approach before pushing the panic button.

Craic
03-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Surgeries need to be "cleaned up" quite regularly - I know that all too well. Let's all take the wait and see approach before pushing the panic button.

Very True. But I do get a little tired of hearing, "Everything went very well" after every surgery. Seems like surgeries on NFL players are 100% effective.

XxKnightxX
03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Just scar tissue if you ask me, i wouldnt get too concerned, he was probably out of there in 15 minutes. Most of these procedures are done labroscopically.

steelreserve
03-02-2011, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't worry about this too much. We don't even have a season yet for him to miss being prepared for.

Steeldude
03-03-2011, 02:21 AM
i always knew he would need back surgery. he puts tremendous amount of pressure on his back. it doesn't help that the offensive linemen get away with such ridiculous holds either.

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2011, 10:42 AM
so our Top Linebacker had a broken spine during the super bowl...

geesh...6 effing points...

Steelerone67
03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Ok what were the surgerys to fix? the muscles, discs, bone what?

fansince'76
03-03-2011, 12:20 PM

Herniated disc. The second surgery was supposedly additional "clean up," whatever that means.

Devilsdancefloor
03-03-2011, 12:22 PM

the 1st was a disc laying on a nerve, the 2nd apparently to "clean" things up

Steelerone67
03-03-2011, 12:32 PM
so he played in the super bowl and maybe some more games with what Greg Romeus sat out half a year with? hmmm and the fact they had to go back in is a bit scary to me!

SteelerSal
03-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Not concerned either...and nowadays "surgery" sounds worse than what it is most times......hardly ever a knife, huge cuts and stitches or staples involved, more like a couple small holes and a laser which makes healing much quicker.

No, I'm not a doctor....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Steelerone67
03-03-2011, 01:07 PM
ya surgery isnt as big and crazy at use to be. but back surgery is back surgery imo.

Devilsdancefloor
03-03-2011, 01:36 PM
ya surgery isnt as big and crazy at use to be. but back surgery is back surgery imo.

IMO there is no such thing as "minor" surgery lol (sal you think you could stay another night and figure out how to become a chiropractor? )

Steelerone67
03-03-2011, 01:49 PM
IMO there is no such thing as "minor" surgery lol (sal you think you could stay another night and figure out how to become a chiropractor? )

agreed if you need surgery your messed up.

SteelerSal
03-03-2011, 02:02 PM

I've had my knees scoped a few times to clean up scar tissue and spurs...minor surgery. Out Patient and nothing a little ice did not take care of for a few days....only major thing about it was getting my knees shaved for the laser surgery...looked pretty funny.

Steelerone67
03-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I've had my knees scoped a few times to clean up scar tissue and spurs...minor surgery. Out Patient and nothing a little ice did not take care of for a few days....only major thing about it was getting my knees shaved for the laser surgery...looked pretty funny.

How old where you when you got it? and not to be a jagoff but theres a difference between an older guy getting his knees down and a $50 Mil athlete getting his back done.

SteelerSal
03-03-2011, 02:08 PM
In my 20's, 30's and 40's......hows that for an answer..and a true one at that. :)

Steelerone67
03-03-2011, 02:18 PM
damn you just got some bad knees lol. Did you do a lot of bending and kneeling?

SteelerSal
03-03-2011, 02:20 PM
damn you just got some bad knees lol. Did you do a lot of bending and kneeling?

Sports and 25 years of concrete construction...yup, knees took a beating.

Steelerone67
03-03-2011, 02:29 PM
ya you sound just like my dad but he only had one surgery and on his ankles.... he cant un bend his knees tho if he squats... well hope your knees stay off the cutting board lol

XxKnightxX
03-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Sports and 25 years of concrete construction...yup, knees took a beating.

Ive just turned 22 and Football, and working many jobs like construction and party hosting, waitering and working as An EMT and Ive already been diagnosed with arthritis on my left Knee. I still play football though and dont intend to stop. Ill have new shiny knees by the time I turn 40.

steel striker
03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Well I had a back surgery done in 2005 which was a big deal for me and, I had a L4S-L5S1 microdiscectomy. I'm fine now but when they went in to do this surgery they found calcification around the nerve which they were able to clean up. To make a long story short my back was really messed up but, I'm still doing fine. Now I'm not a world class player like James so, I'm sure he will be fine. They are doing amazing procedures now days.