PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger Is a Great Quarterback: Why the Haters Are Wrong

polamalubeast
02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
So Ben Roethlisberger didn't play well in Super Bowl XLV. He threw two interceptions and the Pittsburgh Steelers lost to the Green Bay Packers.

Here come the haters.

Ben now has three touchdown passes and five interceptions in three career Super Bowl games. Not very impressive. That being said, Ben is still one of the best quarterbacks in the league and of his generation.

Since Ben has been in the league he's had good stats and has won two Super Bowls.

Yet, some suggest that he isn't an "elite" quarterback. That's insane. Why—because he doesn't throw for 4,000 yards every year? Jon Kitna threw for over 4,000 yards as a Detroit Lion; is he elite?

This is a result of the fantasy football generation, aka the stat geeks. Fantasy football is starting to destroy the perception of how players should be judged.

Most of Roethlsberger's detractors say that he only wins because of his defense and running game.

That's true in small doses, but he is certainly a big reason why the Steelers were competing for their third Super Bowl in six years.

Since Roethlisberger has been the starting quarterback for the Steelers, he's been a winner; more than that, he's been clutch in big games and in big moments.

READ MORE

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/620380-the-haters-are-wrong-ben-roethlisberger-is-a-great-quarterback

siss
02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
He's preaching to the choir.

steelerdude15
02-28-2011, 10:39 PM
That was a great article. That was also probably the best article I've seen from Bleacher Report. I've been saying this for a long time now, Ben is a top five QB. Keep doing what your doing.

HometownGal
03-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Good read and it's great that someone outside of the Steelers fan base is showing Ben some much-deserved love. :thumbsup:

What they forgot to mention, which I believe even more exemplifies Ben's tremendous value and status as an elite QB, is that he played behind a patchwork OL this season and still made remarkable plays. Ben helped to lead a team into XLV who wasn't even on the radar to get into the playoffs and that speaks volumes.

polamalubeast
03-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Chargers fans not love Ben and Bradshaw!

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/7153-Chargers-fans-not-love-Ben-and-Bradshaw!?p=149856#post149856

JonM229
03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Whoever says Ben isn't a great QB obviously doesn't watch a lot of football. With the exception of the last SB, the guy just wins. He reminds me of Steve McNair in his prime. Both were big, tough QBs who gave the Ravens' defense fits. Maybe we'll land him once he's over the hill too.

7SteelGal43
03-16-2011, 12:20 PM
This is a result of the fantasy football generation, aka the stat geeks. Fantasy football is starting to destroy the perception of how players should be judged.

Couldn't agree more !

Butch
03-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Good read and it's great that someone outside of the Steelers fan base is showing Ben some much-deserved love. :thumbsup:

What they forgot to mention, which I believe even more exemplifies Ben's tremendous value and status as an elite QB, is that he played behind a patchwork OL this season and still made remarkable plays. Ben helped to lead a team into XLV who wasn't even on the radar to get into the playoffs and that speaks volumes.

Yes and losing WR's every year. Hell if he aint so good how come Tommy Gun couldn't win with that very same team???

15 and 1 his rookie year and that one loss to the cheatriots who he DESTROYED on Halloween night to halt their impressive win streak and then the next week did the same to Philly...Rookie year!!!

2nd year he leads us into the Superbowl avenging a previous loss to Indy, and Cincy and then dismantling the bronc ho's. Yeah he may have played bad in the Superbowl but we wouldn't be there without him.

After 4 years he had led the team to more COME FROM BEHIND wins than any other QB at that same point in thier careers.

Ben has taken a beating along the way as well playing some of his best ball after getting hurt. How many of you remember Dan Fouts??? At least Ben has rings for all of his efforts sorry Dan.

I'll take Ben over any other QB that is considered to be his better any day, because I love what he brings to the game.

vasteeler
03-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Whoever says Ben isn't a great QB obviously doesn't watch a lot of football. With the exception of the last SB, the guy just wins. He reminds me of Steve McNair in his prime. Both were big, tough QBs who gave the Ravens' defense fits. Maybe we'll land him once he's over the hill too.

you wish :rolleyes:...........:heh:

Craic
03-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Anyone remember the times when a QB's whole body of work was looked at, instead of just stats? Joe Theismann didn't have good stats until the last three years of a career. However, he was considered the franchise QB with 77 wins to 47 losses. Why? Because the total body of work, including 355 rushes for 1815 yards and 17 TDs (which NEVER get factored in for a QB) add to up a whole lot more than the "passing stats" show.

Anyone remember our own Terry Bradshaw? Horrible QB rating. Would anyone want to trade him away since he wasn't elite? After all, that Career 70.9 QB rating climbs to 112.8 QB rating for Superbowls.

I've grown to hate the "elite QB" argument. I think there is a better metric. Who has the ability to will their team to win. To overcome mistakes and consistantly put W's on the board. In the league today, I think there are two QB's that can walk into a game and DEMAND that his team play better, and they respond. One is Peyton Manning, the other is Ben Roethlisberger.

As for the defense and run game carrying the team.
2004. Yes. Absolutely.
2005. Not as much. Defense was strong. Run game was ok. But the playoffs were won on Ben's arm, then sealed with the run game.
2006. A loss for everyone
2007. Ben was equal to the defense and run game.
2008. Defense was outstanding. Run game horrible. But it was Ben that will the team to victory every other week it seemed. Last minute TD's in how many games?
2009. Pass defense horrible. Run game so-so. Ben made mistakes getting greedy, but was as good if not better than the run game and defense.
2010. Probably the first year that the run game, defense, and Ben were balanced. Run game was still a bit weak. Defense had their pass protect problems in the last 10 minutes. Ben still got greedy a bit.

So, I only see one year where Ben was "carried" by the team. Heck, most rookies get carried two or three years.

Count Steeler
03-16-2011, 05:01 PM
You want stats, go follow baseball, more stats than you can imagine. Football is about winning. Period. Focusing on stats is the reason some teams will never win a SB.

vasteeler
03-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Anyone remember the times when a QB's whole body of work was looked at, instead of just stats? Joe Theismann didn't have good stats until the last three years of a career. However, he was considered the franchise QB with 77 wins to 47 losses. Why? Because the total body of work, including 355 rushes for 1815 yards and 17 TDs (which NEVER get factored in for a QB) add to up a whole lot more than the "passing stats" show.

Anyone remember our own Terry Bradshaw? Horrible QB rating. Would anyone want to trade him away since he wasn't elite? After all, that Career 70.9 QB rating climbs to 112.8 QB rating for Superbowls.

I've grown to hate the "elite QB" argument. I think there is a better metric. Who has the ability to will their team to win. To overcome mistakes and consistantly put W's on the board. In the league today, I think there are two QB's that can walk into a game and DEMAND that his team play better, and they respond. One is Peyton Manning, the other is Ben Roethlisberger.

As for the defense and run game carrying the team.
2004. Yes. Absolutely.
2005. Not as much. Defense was strong. Run game was ok. But the playoffs were won on Ben's arm, then sealed with the run game.
2006. A loss for everyone
2007. Ben was equal to the defense and run game.
2008. Defense was outstanding. Run game horrible. But it was Ben that will the team to victory every other week it seemed. Last minute TD's in how many games?
2009. Pass defense horrible. Run game so-so. Ben made mistakes getting greedy, but was as good if not better than the run game and defense.
2010. Probably the first year that the run game, defense, and Ben were balanced. Run game was still a bit weak. Defense had their pass protect problems in the last 10 minutes. Ben still got greedy a bit.

So, I only see one year where Ben was "carried" by the team. Heck, most rookies get carried two or three years.

great post :thumbsup: