PDA

View Full Version : Bevy of defensive ends could intrigue Steelers

stillers4me
02-28-2011, 05:19 AM
If the Steelers stay true to their drafting philosophy of taking the best player available, they could select a defensive end with their first-round pick in April.
And there may be several enticing options for them at the bottom of the first round, including Ohio State's Cameron Heyward.

Heyward's father's, the late Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, starred as a running back at Pitt in the 1980s and then played for more than a decade in the NFL.
Heyward died of cancer in May 2006.

"He was a great player, and he's always in my heart," Heyward said at the NFL Scouting Combine. "I appreciate what he's done, but I'm not asking anybody to give me a second look or anything just because my dad was 'Ironhead.' "............

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_724981.html

Merchant
02-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Our aging d-line is a concern. I wouldn't be upset with a D-end.

SteelerFanInStl
02-28-2011, 03:48 PM
They may be aging but at least they don't suck like our CBs do after Ike. CB is a much more pressing need. I'd be disappointed to see a DE taken in the first.

Bluecoat96
02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
They may be aging but at least they don't suck like our CBs do after Ike. CB is a much more pressing need. I'd be disappointed to see a DE taken in the first.

Very true, however, there may not be a CB worthy of taking with the 31st pick, assuming we don't trade up.

Psycho Ward 86
02-28-2011, 04:43 PM
They better! Mayock thinks this is the best D-line class he has EVER seen, and he is the one guy on NFL.com that knows what he's talking about. I would be totally jacked if we picked a nose tackle or defensive end on Day 1 of the draft, even if it's our 1st round pick.

stillers4me
02-28-2011, 05:18 PM
In Colbert, I trust.

Just do something about our secondary!

NJarhead
02-28-2011, 06:43 PM
In Colbert, I trust.

My feelings exactly; on both counts.

Craic
02-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Anyone think that with this many DE's coming out, a CB could drop low enough for us to trade up and grab him?

BigNastyDefense
02-28-2011, 06:56 PM
I would prefer an offensive lineman instead of a defensive lineman in the first round. However, I trust the front office and the BPA approach works best, IMHO, if there isn't necessarily a "need" player at that spot that is worth the pick.

NJarhead
02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Anyone think that with this many DE's coming out, a CB could drop low enough for us to trade up and grab him?
Tough question to answer. I'd love to find out who Colbert is eying for CB. We grabbed Ike in the 3rd (?) so, who's to say. I'm not sure how many top-flite CB's there are. 2? 3? If that's it, then I say we're beat in the 1st round unless we trade up.

NJarhead
02-28-2011, 07:00 PM
I would prefer an offensive lineman instead of a defensive lineman in the first round. However, I trust the front office and the BPA approach works best, IMHO, if there isn't necessarily a "need" player at that spot that is worth the pick.

Historically (save 2010), we've got a crappy track record with OL in the 1st round.

steelreserve
03-01-2011, 12:12 AM
DL or CB, neither one would surprise me. But if we don't take a CB in the first couple rounds, we'd damn well better have some other plan to fix the secondary.

If we take an offensive lineman in round 1, I think several people need to be punched right in the dick, starting with the guy who made the pick, and going right on down to the people who keep whining EVERY year that we need an offensive lineman in the first round. I really do not think that's a high priority this season, beyond a what-the-hell pick in the third or fourth round.

SteelerFanInStl
03-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Very true, however, there may not be a CB worthy of taking with the 31st pick, assuming we don't trade up.

I certainly don't want to see a reach in the first but we've got to have a CB early and I'm just not sure what we're gonna get at the end of the 2nd round talent wise.

PalmerSteel
03-01-2011, 10:36 AM
any corners on the top 50 overall ranking list (their list of course) should be picked by us with pick #31. stretch a little for a corner but BPA beyond that.

Psycho Ward 86
03-01-2011, 05:00 PM

Interesting thinking, but that could go the other way too. Maybe other teams WON'T go after the DE's because they know there will be plenty of good ones in the late rounds.

Count Steeler
03-01-2011, 06:18 PM
In Colbert, I trust.

Or make sure we can score 40 points a game.

steelreserve
03-02-2011, 11:16 PM

It always happens in Madden.

Craic
03-03-2011, 12:09 AM
It always happens in Madden.

:buttkick:

I usually have 2-4 first round top 10 draft picks in Madden.

solardave
03-03-2011, 01:04 AM
They better! Mayock thinks this is the best D-line class he has EVER seen, and he is the one guy on NFL.com that knows what he's talking about. I would be totally jacked if we picked a nose tackle or defensive end on Day 1 of the draft, even if it's our 1st round pick.

Mayock played for the Steelers you know.You're right he does his homework on these guys.

steelreserve
03-04-2011, 12:07 AM
:buttkick:

I usually have 2-4 first round top 10 draft picks in Madden.

I wish trading for draft picks in the real world worked as well as it did in Madden. It's like you're the Patriots and everyone else is the Raiders.

Where else can you win 5 Super Bowls in a row and end up with overall picks 1-2 and no salary cap problems? Then it's the computer's turn, and picks 3-15 go QB-RB-DE-DE-DE-DE-DE-DE-DE-DE-DE-DE-DE and you can nab the top corner and the top DT at the end of the round. I also had a game of Madden 07 where Polamalu was still playing at age 42, and McFadden was a 99 and leading the league with 17 interceptions. If only that would happen too. One can dream.

Stlrs4Life
03-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Our aging d-line is a concern. I wouldn't be upset with a D-end.

Either would I, Aaron smith is up there, even though ziggy did a great job backing him up.

SteelerFanInStl
03-05-2011, 10:08 AM
With Ike not signing a new contract and becoming a FA, CB is even a bigger need for us now.