PDA

View Full Version : Nick Kaczur could be an option for our O-line woes?

Psycho Ward 86
02-27-2011, 09:45 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e84d61/article/patriots-ol-kaczur-wont-take-salary-cut-report-says?module=HP_headlines

New England offensive lineman Nick Kaczur, a five-year starter who missed last season with a back injury, could be on his way out of Foxborough after declining the Patriots' request he take a massive pay cut, the Boston Herald reported Sunday.

Kaczur, who had been the team's starter at right tackle, was expected to move to left guard last season, but he was hurt early in preseason workouts, reportedly underwent back surgery in late August and was placed on injured reserve in October to clear roster space so the Patriots could acquire wide receiver Deion Branch from the Seattle Seahawks.

The seventh-year veteran, 31, is slated to be paid $3.4 million in 2011, and he turned down the Patriots when they asked him to take less, the Herald reported, citing a source close to the situation. Asked if the Patriots might cut Kaczur rather than pay the salary, the source told the newspaper: "They're going to have to."

Kaczur, if healthy, likely will be a starter in the NFL next season, but the Patriots favor Logan Mankins and Dan Connolly at guards and Sebastian Vollmer at right tackle.

Psycho Ward 86
02-27-2011, 09:49 PM
I've looked around, and he's not quite as highly touted as some of the Patriots linemen but looks like he checks out as a pretty good lineman! He offers us versatility, talent, and $3.4million wouldn't be much of a burden to take care of. He's only slightly injury prone excluding last season's injury.

One red flag could be that he was caught with illegal possession of painkillers (oxycodine), BUT he cooperated with the authorities and went undercover to help catch the drug dealer.

What do y'all think?

7willBheaven
02-27-2011, 10:02 PM
I think the key to any OL FA signing (once a new CBA is done of course) and even draft picks would be what happens with the re-signing Colon...and are he and Starks good to go after their injuries. The main thing of course re-signing Colon...but all 3 are big questions. Adams will be here next season too (for $5 mil).

Personally my ideal situation as far as the OL goes would be this. Put Colon at RG (i think he'd do fine there...possibly better than T)...draft a stud LT...and be it this year or next move Starks to RT where he was before...and have a line such as Stud Draftee/Kemo/Pouncey/Colon/Starks....i think that could be a good line up. The new person on the line to be replaced would be Kemo then Starks probably...within a few years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2011, 08:03 AM
I doubt it ever will happen. Not like the Steelers to overpay for an aging FA lineman with contract demands. Flozell Adams was a guy on the free agent list that nobody wanted. I think we are more likely to see a draftee or another reclamation product in FA for cheap.

Chidi29
02-28-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm concerned with bringing in a 31 year old coming off major back surgery.

salamander
02-28-2011, 04:03 PM
No thank you.

Count Steeler
02-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Not a gamble I would be willing to take.

steelreserve
03-01-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm concerned with bringing in a 31 year old coming off major back surgery.

Not a gamble I would be willing to take.

Are we really THAT much more worried about a 31-year-old guy coming off back surgery than a 27-year-old guy coming off a torn Achilles tendon? Same amount of risk either way.

Way I see it, if Colon wants more than $3.4 mil, might as well just sign this guy instead. Colon probably will ask for more, too - I think he's seen himself in the $5-to-$8 million range all along. And no way in hell do I think we should pay him that. Especially when we were fine without him for a whole year.