PDA

View Full Version : Steelers target draft for cornerback needs

LLT
02-27-2011, 03:54 AM
Steelers target draft for cornerback needs
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, February 27, 2011

INDIANAPOLIS — Kevin Colbert knows what to look for when scouting cornerback prospects.

"We always want size, we always want speed, we always want athleticism," the Steelers' director of football operations said. "We always want toughness, we always want ball skills and productivity."

The question the Steelers will try to answer over the next two months is how many cornerbacks in this year's NFL Draft come close to fitting the profile that sounds like a cross between Mel Blount and Rod Woodson.

To say cornerback is among the positions the Steelers need to address in the draft might qualify as an understatement along the lines of saying winter has been a touch harsh this year.

Read more: Steelers target draft for cornerback needs - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_724912.html#ixzz1F9STjMf1

Texasteel
02-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Kinda sounds like Smith, or Williams don't it.

LLT
02-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Kinda sounds like Smith, or Williams don't it.

It really does...and I might throw Brandon Harris into that group of potential first round CB's

Iron Steeler
02-27-2011, 11:27 AM
I dont know about you guys, but I am all for trading up if someone like prince Amukamara falls to 15-17... IMO he is EXACTLY what we NEED. And if the missing puzzle piece is out there why not go out there and get it???

again this only applies IF he falls to the 15-17 range...

7willBheaven
02-27-2011, 01:27 PM
I dont know about you guys, but I am all for trading up if someone like prince Amukamara falls to 15-17... IMO he is EXACTLY what we NEED. And if the missing puzzle piece is out there why not go out there and get it???

again this only applies IF he falls to the 15-17 range...

It may be what they need...but it depends on the cost to move up THAT far probably cost the 1st and 2nd rounders plus more maybe. I think it would be a shame to loose the second rounder, as they really need to snag a good OL in the first 2 rounds also.

Iron Steeler
02-27-2011, 02:12 PM
It may be what they need...but it depends on the cost to move up THAT far probably cost the 1st and 2nd rounders plus more maybe. I think it would be a shame to loose the second rounder, as they really need to snag a good OL in the first 2 rounds also.

I dunno, i feel like if we made a better effort to resign Colon our O line is really not that bad. It would be Colon/ Kemo /Pouncey/ RG Position battle/ Starks(Flo as back up?) If this were the case before the draft , I wouldnt mind giving up a 1st and 2nd to move up to get a STUD DB.

Then we could maintain our focus in the third round solely on Defensive Line.

7willBheaven
02-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I dunno, i feel like if we made a better effort to resign Colon our O line is really not that bad. It would be Colon/ Kemo /Pouncey/ RG Position battle/ Starks(Flo as back up?) If this were the case before the draft , I wouldnt mind giving up a 1st and 2nd to move up to get a STUD DB.

Then we could maintain our focus in the third round solely on Defensive Line.

Oh i know that could happen...and I wouldnt have a problem with that...especially if they could move Colon to G. I'm not sure if they'd wanna pay Adams $5 mil to be a backup though...if they had Starks/Kemo/Pouncey/Colon/Adams I think that could work. Another thing as far backups/etc...I would like to know what Chris Scott can do...can he actually play RT good enough...or is he strictly a G or both. I'm pretty sure we'll see Legursky and J Scott back....and C Scott is under contract as well. That leaves 1 spot open...if they was to re-sign Essex or Hills then thats it. As i've said all along I think what happens with Colon is the key...if he re-signs or not...and if they think he'd do better at G and if they could get him to switch to G. The only DL position I think that they should even consider that high is NT...so that Casey and groom him over the next couple years. If they can find another DE gem in the late rounds...awesome.