PDA

View Full Version : Tyron Smith pulls out of the Combine

LLT
02-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Tyron Smith pulls out of the Combine
theredzone.org
2/26/2011

USC offensive tackle Tyron Smith won’t participate in workouts Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine according to Frank Tadych of NFL.com.

Smith, who is on the field with the rest of his group, told NFL.com’s Steve Wyche that he’s still recovering from a knee injury and was advised by his trainers to wait until his March 30 pro day before going through a full workout.

Smith did participate in the bench press Friday (he ripped off 29 reps) and said he also went through a battery of interviews with team officials. He also addressed the media Friday and said he gained almost 30 healthy pounds by ditching fast food.

This being the last day of the combine for offensive linemen, Smith said he plans to fly home to California on Saturday night.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/15250/Tyron-Smith-pulls-out-of-the-Combine/Default.aspx

Texasteel
02-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Smith is the one player I see as a sure thing at LT, and having added 30lbs. of mussel to his frame already tells me he's probably a lot closer to being able to hold down the RT spot than I thought. It would be nice to see him start to slide but I still think he is the 2nd lineman off the board.

Chidi29
02-26-2011, 11:14 AM
From a mesurables standpoint, the guy is head and shoulders above the competition. 6'5, 307, with 36 1/2 inch arms and 11 inch hands. And he's as cut as I've ever seen in a linemen.

And watching him in games, he's athletic and a much, much better run blocker than people give him credit for. His size and somewat lack of upper body strength forced him to learn to play with excellent technique and correct leverage.

He's my #1 OT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Costanzo is so smooth. I still think Smith will push his stock up to top 15 in the draft, but I think Costanzo is gonna be the #1 OT taken.

LLT
02-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Costanzo is so smooth. I still think Smith will push his stock up to top 15 in the draft, but I think Costanzo is gonna be the #1 OT taken.

For all the media attention that Solder recieved at the combine...I thought that Costanzo was equally impressive. I agree with you totally that he will be the 1st OT off the board.

Texasteel
02-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I also thought that Rackley may be moving himself past our pick in the 3rd round.

I still like Willie Smith as a later round OT

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2011, 10:39 AM
For all the media attention that Solder recieved at the combine...I thought that Costanzo was equally impressive. I agree with you totally that he will be the 1st OT off the board.

Solder was getting hype for his broad jump and measurables. The one drill that stood out in my head was the kick slide drill where most O linemen were sliding and getting to the outside shoulder of the rushers to ride them out. Costanzo kick slides back and is sitting squared up to get both hands in his rushers chest......WOW!! The guy is so smooth and technically sound that he's worth the pick...Solder is still a young guy that needs coaching up.

I am torn if we really need a late round OT, since we have those kind of guys under contract in Jon Scott and Chris Scott already. If we dont get an OT in round 1 or 2, then I hope we dont bother and just take a good guard prospect. Pouncey, Cannon, Love, Watkins, Moffat would all work I think.

Texasteel
02-27-2011, 12:18 PM
I am torn if we really need a late round OT, since we have those kind of guys under contract in Jon Scott and Chris Scott already. If we dont get an OT in round 1 or 2, then I hope we dont bother and just take a good guard prospect. Pouncey, Cannon, Love, Watkins, Moffat would all work I think.

I can't argue that bud. The main reason I am still interested in Smith is that I have a feeling that he can be coached into the LT position. I'm not that confident in Scott & Scott.

I thought Pouncey showed himself to be want I thought he was, the best guard prospect in the draft. I was also impressed with Cannon and Watkins.

I also thought that Carimi did very well. May end up moving out of our reach.