PDA

View Full Version : Arians will sign one-year deal to stay in Pittsburgh

Psycho Ward 86
02-25-2011, 11:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e79072/article/steelers-oc-arians-will-sign-oneyear-deal-to-stay-in-pittsburgh?module=HP_headlines

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is set to re-sign with Pittsburgh Steelers for one more year, according to a league source.

Arians, a Steelers assistant since 2004 and offensive coordinator the last four seasons, has an expiring contract. He had been mulling retirement, much like Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

Arians will re-sign with Pittsburgh for another year, according to the source, as LeBeau has done this offseason. Those moves will ensure that the crux of coach Mike Tomlin's staff is in place for the 2011 season, though the team will likely be looking for new coordinators in 2012.

The Steelers are currently without a secondary coach after Ray Horton left to become offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals. The Steelers often promote from within, with linebackers coach Keith Butler, for instance, the defensive coordinator in waiting.

The Duke
02-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Win a superbowl this year and both are likely to retire

enter Fichtner and Butler. We can live with that

Texasteel
02-25-2011, 12:46 PM

I think if we had won this last one they both would have been gone. They both must think we have a serous shot in 2011.

SteelerSal
02-25-2011, 01:42 PM
I think if we had won this last one they both would have been gone. They both must think we have a serous shot in 2011.

They aren't the only ones. ;)

zulater
02-25-2011, 02:36 PM

I doubt it, I think both are too loyal to have left the Steelers in that sort of lurch with the current labor uncertainty.

I was listening to NFL radio today and they were saying that because of some union rule, coaches aren't allowed to communicate with players in any sort of official way. So all these teams that had radical changes in their coaching staffs are at a huge disadvantage the longer the lock out drags on. For instance Josh McDaniel, the new OC of the Rams ( and ex HC of the Broncos) hasn't been allowed to make contact with second year qb Sam Bradford since being hired. He hasn't been allowed to give him a playbook, discuss offensive philosophy, nothing. Anyway even presuming the Steelers would have promoted from within if either coordinater had left, there's always going to be changes with a new man. So by keeping both coordinators the Steelers and any other team that kept their coaching staff's mostly intact will be at a huge advantage to those that didn't. LeBeau and Arians wouldn't put their team in that sort of hole, even though the team would have respected their right to retire and not grumbled about it if either had left. A mutal respect sort of thing all the way around if you will.

Chidi29
02-25-2011, 02:46 PM
I doubt it, I think both are too loyal to have left the Steelers in that sort of lurch with the current labor uncertainty.

I was listening to NFL radio today and they were saying that because of some union rule, coaches aren't allowed to communicate with players in any sort of official way. So all these teams that had radical changes in their coaching staffs are at a huge disadvantage the longer the lock out drags on. For instance Josh McDaniel, the new OC of the Rams ( and ex HC of the Broncos) hasn't been allowed to make contact with second year qb Sam Bradford since being hired. He hasn't been allowed to give him a playbook, discuss offensive philosophy, nothing. Anyway even presuming the Steelers would have promoted from within if either coordinater had left, there's always going to be changes with a new man. So by keeping both coordinators the Steelers and any other team that kept their coaching staff's mostly intact will be at a huge advantage to those that didn't. LeBeau and Arians wouldn't put their team in that sort of hole, even though the team would have respected their right to retire and not grumbled about it if either had left. A mutal respect sort of thing all the way around if you will.

I totally get what you're saying zu, but I think it would have been even worse if Arians or LeBeau decided to stay a year if they wanted to retire. If their mind isn't in it and they have one foot out the door, they should go.

I don't think that's the case with either though.

zulater
02-25-2011, 03:02 PM
I totally get what you're saying zu, but I think it would have been even worse if Arians or LeBeau decided to stay a year if they wanted to retire. If their mind isn't in it and they have one foot out the door, they should go.

I don't think that's the case with either though.

They're too much of pro's to not go full out once they commit to coming back. They both have been to the top of the mount, I don't think the Super bowl result would have stopped either from retiring if that's where their heart was. But I think it's very plausible that they would put their plans on hold in a special situation such as this to help the team.

In other words I couldn't see either contently going into retirement if they thought by doing so they'd be putting thier team behind the proverbial 8 ball.

Just my take on things.:noidea:

Texasteel
02-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Thats a real good point zu, but I think that in LaBeau's case we likely have the replacement on the team and he already know the players pretty well.

HometownGal
02-25-2011, 05:44 PM

I can live with that too. I'm glad BA is going to stay for at least another year. :applaudit: It would be freakin' great if both BA and The Papa could go out on top wearing yet another SB ring. :tt03:

86WARD
02-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Good for the team. Especially with the CBA the way it is, the teams got to stay as stable as possible...

tube517
02-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Whether you like BA or not, I think everyone wants to give it another shot (both are signing 1 yr deals). They came agonizingly close.

Psycho Ward 86
02-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Whether you like BA or not, I think everyone wants to give it another shot (both are signing 1 yr deals). They came agonizingly close.

Id love to give it another shot, just not with him

KeiselPower99
02-26-2011, 07:18 AM
I guess the Arians bashing has 1 year left.

st33lersguy
02-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Yay, Balloon Brain is back

HometownGal
02-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Yay, Balloon Brain is back

Whelp - I suppose it could be said that obviously, Tomlin, Art II and the team are more in the know about what BA brings to the table than you and the rest of the BAHC are. I'm happy he's staying for a lot of reasons and one of those reasons is - it pisses off you haters even more! :yay3: :applaudit: