PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon Ain’t Comin’ Back to the Burgh (or Is He?)

stillers4me
02-23-2011, 05:47 PM
After yesterday’s post on the prospects of Willie Colon moving to guard (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/idea-move-willie-colon-guard/), I starting thinking. Assuming that we were all transported to a magical place where this could actually happen (in this land, Ike can catch), I was all set to write today about what such a shuffling along the o-line would mean for the Steelers’ draft plans.

Specifically: would a starting lineup of Max, Kemoeatu, Maurkice, Colon and Flozell (and, for shiggles, let’s say the Steelers also re-signed Trai and Jonathan Scott) mitigate the need for drafting an offensive lineman in April? (Obligatorily ducks because I know you just threw something at your screen upon reading that last sentence. Fair enough but hear me out…).....................

Read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/willie-colon-comin-burgh/

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-23-2011, 06:15 PM
It all depends on his health and contract demands. I hope he comes back and moves inside to guard, so Flozell or Chris Scott can play RT.........but I think he might not be in B&G.

86WARD
02-23-2011, 08:01 PM
He pretty much said today that he's not sure he's coming back. He wants to, but not sure a deal can be worked out.

steelreserve
02-23-2011, 08:22 PM
This one really depends on what happens with the labor negotiations if you ask me. Specifically with regards to salary cap, FAs, RFAs and so on. I don't think we'll give him a $5M-a-year contract coming off a serious injury, if that's what he's talking about. Then again, I doubt anyone else will either. His agent was desperate enough to get him out of Pittsburgh for a big contract that he was trying to shop him around despite being an RFA last year, remember? "Hey, for only the price of a first-round pick, you can have the best tackle in the game!" he was saying, remember?

Anyway, I'm not holding my breath on this one. If he leaves, we'll get over it, as long as Scott isn't the guy we figure on replacing him with.

zulater
02-23-2011, 08:25 PM
This one really depends on what happens with the labor negotiations if you ask me. Specifically with regards to salary cap, FAs, RFAs and so on. I don't think we'll give him a $5M-a-year contract coming off a serious injury, if that's what he's talking about. Then again, I doubt anyone else will either. His agent was desperate enough to get him out of Pittsburgh for a big contract that he was trying to shop him around despite being an RFA last year, remember? "Hey, for only the price of a first-round pick, you can have the best tackle in the game!" he was saying, remember?

Anyway, I'm not holding my breath on this one. If he leaves, we'll get over it, as long as Scott isn't the guy we figure on replacing him with.

Jonathan or Chris?

Chidi29
02-23-2011, 08:48 PM
If we're now deciding to move him to guard, it's because we think the Achilles injury sapped a lot of his lateral movement and general quickness. That he isn't or won't be the same player.

If that's the case, I don't want him back. Let someone else overpay.

It's worth pointing out that I do think he will recover. It's one of the worst injuries to suffer but he's had ample time to recover. It will be well over a year from injury to his first snap.

steelreserve
02-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Jonathan or Chris?

Does it really matter?

zulater
02-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Does it really matter?

No, probably not.:yield:

7willBheaven
02-23-2011, 10:27 PM
If we're now deciding to move him to guard, it's because we think the Achilles injury sapped a lot of his lateral movement and general quickness. That he isn't or won't be the same player.

If that's the case, I don't want him back. Let someone else overpay.

It's worth pointing out that I do think he will recover. It's one of the worst injuries to suffer but he's had ample time to recover. It will be well over a year from injury to his first snap.

I havent read anywhere that the Steelers themselves have stated anything about moving him to G. Most people have thought (for a while) thats where he belongs and could be an even better player at that position. Thats all this is...people saying it would be best to move him there...especially since Adams can play RT again/etc. The team hasnt said anything (that i can find).

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Does it really matter?

I think Chris Scott has the potential to be Willie Colon with a larger frame, so I would rather he develop at RT instead of Jon Scott. Ideally, I would like to see a LT prospect get drafted and start on the right side for a season until he replaces Max Starks.

86WARD
02-24-2011, 07:05 AM
It all depends on his health and contract demands. I hope he comes back and moves inside to guard, so Flozell or Chris Scott can play RT.........but I think he might not be in B&G.

Sorry if I am not allowed an opinion, but posted one anyways.

Which if there is a lockout, you may not know until AFTER the draft...

BigNastyDefense
02-25-2011, 10:35 AM
First, if he thinks he's going to get some mega contract, he is sadly mistaken.

He is coming off of an injury that wiped out his entire 2010 season. For the past couple of years he was the best offensive lineman on a bad offensive line....that's a backhanded compliment.

The Steelers don't NEED him. Flozell Adams can play RT. Colon is still known for false starts.

He's not an All-Pro tackle. He's not going to be offered the kind of money he probably thinks he is going to get.

I say let him leave. We can draft a tackle in the second round who can be just as good if not better (and cheaper) in a couple years.

Chidi29
02-25-2011, 02:38 PM
I havent read anywhere that the Steelers themselves have stated anything about moving him to G. Most people have thought (for a while) thats where he belongs and could be an even better player at that position. Thats all this is...people saying it would be best to move him there...especially since Adams can play RT again/etc. The team hasnt said anything (that i can find).

I've never heard anything about that either. Which is why if we do see him at guard, it'd be safe to assume it was because of the injury and not a change in heart.

I don't think he belongs there. He belongs at RT. He was our best lineman by far and stastically, a top 5 OT two years ago.

While I do love Adams, he is probably only going to be around one more year. We'll be forced to find a RT to years from now. If you're going to fix one position, do so in as little moves as possible. If you want to fix RG, get a player that will play at RG without anyone else having to move around in the short-term.

steelreserve
02-25-2011, 03:05 PM
I think Chris Scott has the potential to be Willie Colon with a larger frame, so I would rather he develop at RT instead of Jon Scott. Ideally, I would like to see a LT prospect get drafted and start on the right side for a season until he replaces Max Starks.

Right, I'm not writing off Chris Scott for the future - always want to give the young players a shot and see what they turn into, and I fully support giving him a chance to develop. However, I wouldn't want someone that young and inexperienced protecting the right side NOW.

Jon Scott, on the other hand, I don't want anywhere near the field for us ever. We got a long look at him this year, and he is absolute garbage.