PDA

View Full Version : LaMarr Woodley signs tender

zulater
02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6150766

.com news services

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley signed his franchise tender, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Woodley becomes the first player to sign a franchise tender. The players' union has questioned the validity of franchise and transition tags with the current collective bargaining agreement set to expire at the end of the day on March 3.

A league source told Schefter on Tuesday that Carolina Panthers center Ryan Kalil, who also received a franchise tag, plans to sign his tender as well.

Bet this will piss off some people in the union. :chuckle:

zulater
02-23-2011, 01:26 PM
By the way I know some on this board will moan about this, but not me. For one thing LaMarr deserves 10 million next year simply for the fact that he's played the last 2 seasons for well under his market value without complaint. Also I think it's obvious that this is a guy who loves being a Steeler and probably will retire a Steelers if circumstances allow for it.

I really think LaMarr's best football is ahead of him, and I'm glad it looks as if it's going to be as a Steeler!

fansince'76
02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Woodley becomes the first player to sign a franchise tender. The players' union has questioned the validity of franchise and transition tags with the current collective bargaining agreement set to expire at the end of the day on March 3.Will expiration of the CBA possibly render this null and void? :noidea:

zulater
02-23-2011, 01:36 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e701af/article/steelers-olb-woodley-signs-tag-in-midst-of-cba-uncertainty?module=HP_headlines

The Pittsburgh Steelers confirmed outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley has signed his franchise tag, a move NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported earlier on Wednesday.Woodley, 26, made $550,000 last season, the final year of his rookie contract. His salary, as a tagged linebacker, is expected to exceed $10 million next season. That's assuming that franchise tags are measured similarly and exist in a new collective bargaining agreement.

The Steelers hope the designation could lead to a long-term deal for Woodley, as it has for other Steelers players tagged in recent years.

Woodley recorded 50 tackles and 10 sacks last season, along with two interceptions and three forced fumbles.

NFL Network insider Albert Breer reports that one reason Woodley signed his tender, and Carolina Panthers center Ryan Kalil said he plans to sign his, is the threat that fourth- and fifth-year players could be stuck in the same situation they were during the 2010 offseason.

The high tender for fourth-year players last year was $3.168 million, and that means Woodley and Kalil, fourth-year players, would be subject to lose approximately $7 million if the franchise tenders are not signed and the 2010 rules roll over.

The union has advised agents and players that franchise tenders are meaningless without a new CBA, but it hasn't argued against players taking care of themselves in such "insurance policy" type of cases.

For Kalil and Woodley, an elimination of franchise tags would lead to free agency, and if the standard of free agency is raised to where fourth-year players wouldn't be unrestricted, both would have signed guaranteed tenders that would almost certainly be more valuable than their restricted free-agent tenders.

zulater
02-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Will expiration of the CBA possibly render this null and void? :noidea:

I think it's highly unlikely that the NFL will agree to a new CBA that doesn't include the franchise tag designation in it's current form, or even perhaps strengthened. You see what's happening in basketball with the big ticket players, and you can damn well bet the NFL owners are seeing it as well, and don't wont to become that league.

fansince'76
02-23-2011, 01:40 PM
For Kalil and Woodley, an elimination of franchise tags would lead to free agency, and if the standard of free agency is raised to where fourth-year players wouldn't be unrestricted, both would have signed guaranteed tenders that would almost certainly be more valuable than their restricted free-agent tenders.See, this is where I'm getting confused. If the CBA expires, and it leads to the elimination of the franchise tag designation, wouldn't free agency also cease to exist until a new CBA is agreed upon?

With the collective bargaining agreement expiring March 3....would-be free agents face the very real possibility that they get ordered back to their old teams at the bargain basement price of 120 percent of their last salary. Play another season, risk serious injury. And wait.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/02/11/nfl-labor-free-agency.ap/index.html

:noidea:

tube517
02-23-2011, 02:10 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/What-LaMarrs-acceptance-means/acf2eb52-6bac-456d-8160-c43ab3c47aa7

HometownGal
02-23-2011, 02:38 PM
By the way I know some on this board will moan about this, but not me. For one thing LaMarr deserves 10 million next year simply for the fact that he's played the last 2 seasons for well under his market value without complaint. Also I think it's obvious that this is a guy who loves being a Steeler and probably will retire a Steelers if circumstances allow for it.

I really think LaMarr's best football is ahead of him, and I'm glad it looks as if it's going to be as a Steeler!

I totally agree with everything you've said here, Zu. Wood hasn't been out there whining to the media vampires and is handling everything like the pro he is. :applaudit: :thumbsup:

I hope he retires a Pittsburgh Steeler. :tt02:

SteelerSal
02-23-2011, 03:23 PM
For one thing LaMarr deserves 10 million next year simply for the fact that he's played the last 2 seasons for well under his market value without complaint. Also I think it's obvious that this is a guy who loves being a Steeler and probably will retire a Steelers if circumstances allow for it.

I agree...Woodley has played at a first round value...guy deserves this money. It was like we had 2 first round draft picks the year we stole him in the 2nd round.

ALLD
02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
He did it quietly and with class. Not like that crazy kicker we had and was released. What was his name again?

SMR
02-23-2011, 04:09 PM
He did it quietly and with class. Not like that crazy kicker we had and was released. What was his name again?

lol

:applaudit:

Count Steeler
02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Woot!!!

zulater
02-23-2011, 04:59 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/What-LaMarrs-acceptance-means/acf2eb52-6bac-456d-8160-c43ab3c47aa7

The Steelers announced today that LaMarr Woodley has accepted his franchise tender offer. Why is this news?

It’s newsworthy because there have been instances in the past where players have resisted the franchise tag, with the typical reaction in those cases being that it inhibits the ability to shop their services as unrestricted free agents. It inhibits, because the player’s original team can match any offer he receives to keep him, or accept two No. 1 draft choices as compensation if it declines to match.

Woodley’s acceptance of the franchise tender offer means there will be no acrimony between him and the Steelers over the tag. This acceptance means that Woodley will play for the Steelers in 2011 for whatever the one-year franchise tender ends up being – right now that number is determined by averaging the top five salaries of all players at his position. And just as importantly, Woodley’s acceptance of the franchise tender offer does not preclude him from coming to agreement on a long-term contract.

There is the chance the union is going to question the validity of the franchise tag and everything it means once the current collective bargaining agreement expires on March 3, and there are no guarantees the franchise tag as it exists after the new CBA is negotiated will be what we understand it to be today.

Still, there are a couple of things for fans to understand from LaMarr Woodley accepting the franchise tender offer:

The Steelers want him, and he wants to be here.

Thanks for the link.

smokin3000gt
02-23-2011, 05:05 PM
I agree with Zu, he deserves the money after playing at a discount. I especially appreciate the way LW kept quiet about the whole thing and dealt with business at the business table and not in front of the cameras as someone like TO or ochostinko would have done. That alone shows us what type of person/player he is and that he's fit for this team.

steelreserve
02-23-2011, 09:11 PM
I agree with Zu, he deserves the money after playing at a discount. I especially appreciate the way LW kept quiet about the whole thing and dealt with business at the business table and not in front of the cameras as someone like TO or ochostinko would have done. That alone shows us what type of person/player he is and that he's fit for this team.

That's not something that we ought to be paying him for. No one else is going to pay him for that. And it's not like it helps our cap situation this year or any other year going forward.

Yeah, he deserves more than he was getting, but the past is the past. It's also pretty sad that the standard for being "classy" is now just not bitching and moaning all season and making threats to walk off the job instead of honoring your contract. I do appreciate the way he handled it, but I'm more inclined to think that the guys who DO do that kind of stuff are colossal assholes, not that anyone who doesn't must be a great guy.

zulater
02-23-2011, 09:18 PM
That's not something that we ought to be paying him for. No one else is going to pay him for that. And it's not like it helps our cap situation this year or any other year going forward.

Yeah, he deserves more than he was getting, but the past is the past. It's also pretty sad that the standard for being "classy" is now just not bitching and moaning all season and making threats to walk off the job instead of honoring your contract. I do appreciate the way he handled it, but I'm more inclined to think that the guys who DO do that kind of stuff are colossal assholes, not that anyone who doesn't must be a great guy.

If he was an unrestricted free agent he most likely would get 10 million per season. But he's not, and he seems like he's probably willing to offer some sort of home team discount, so hopefully the Steelers will find a nice cap friendly number to give him for the right number of years.

steelerdude15
02-23-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm glad to see he signed the tender. You could just tell he wants to be a Steeler, it's something he likes so much. Glad to see number 56 will still be laying the wood.

steelreserve
02-23-2011, 11:46 PM
If he was an unrestricted free agent he most likely would get 10 million per season. But he's not, and he seems like he's probably willing to offer some sort of home team discount, so hopefully the Steelers will find a nice cap friendly number to give him for the right number of years.

I really don't think he would get that much. He's good, but no one's mistaking him for a top-5 linebacker. Patrick Willis gets "$10 million" a year, and even the last couple seasons of that deal are fake. The last couple years of all those $10M deals are fake. You can call Woodley's "open maket value" $10 million if you count the two years at the end where he gets paid $12M and $15M and gets cut or renegotiated before that anyway, but what he could really expect to take home in cash is more like $5-6M next year and $7-8M the next couple years if he's lucky. If that's what he gets from us, don't think he's "taking one for the team."

Steeldude
02-24-2011, 04:07 AM
woodley is going to have to seriously up his game to show he is worth that 10 mil. i want to see him making plays all over the field like harrison does. i want to see him equal harrison's motor.

SteelGhost
02-26-2011, 02:38 PM
woodley is going to have to seriously up his game to show he is worth that 10 mil. i want to see him making plays all over the field like harrison does. i want to see him equal harrison's motor.

I like Wood a lot, but you're right on dude :thumbsup:

zulater
02-26-2011, 08:41 PM
I really don't think he would get that much. He's good, but no one's mistaking him for a top-5 linebacker. Patrick Willis gets "$10 million" a year, and even the last couple seasons of that deal are fake. The last couple years of all those $10M deals are fake. You can call Woodley's "open maket value" $10 million if you count the two years at the end where he gets paid $12M and $15M and gets cut or renegotiated before that anyway, but what he could really expect to take home in cash is more like $5-6M next year and $7-8M the next couple years if he's lucky. If that's what he gets from us, don't think he's "taking one for the team."

Adelius Thomas got 35 million for 5 years back in 2007 from the Patriots after only one good season. Matt Cassell signed a 6 year deal with the Chiefs after the 2008 season for 63 million after one decent season. Woodley would make every bit of 10 million per as an unrestricted free agent.

You might not agree that he'd be worth it, but the Steelers and LaMarr's agent will be negotiating off a number in that stratosphere like it or not.