PDA

View Full Version : Franco Harris: An Immaculate Life

tube517
02-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Before he had his own army, before he had his own car, Franco Harris used to take public transportation to work like the average Joe. In 1972, as a rookie on a Steelers team that hadn’t posted a winning record in eight seasons, Harris didn’t have to worry about signing many autographs on the bumpy ride to Three Rivers Stadium.

“I used to take the bus and even hitch a ride home after practice,” Harris laughs. “Half way into the season, people really started to recognize me.”

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/March-2011/Franco-Harris-An-Immaculate-Life/

SteelerSal
02-23-2011, 09:53 AM
http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/March-2011/Franco-Harris-An-Immaculate-Life/terry-bradshaw.AP7212050210.jpg

HometownGal
02-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Every time you fly in to Pittsburgh, you get to see your Immaculate Reception statue at the entrance to the terminals. That must be a special welcome home.

Oh yeah, no doubt about it. Someone told me that when the Raiders came to town recently, some of the Raiders fans were trying to knock the ball out of my hands. They still can’t do it after all these years.

ROFL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Franco was a great Steeler and a helluva nice guy off the field. Back in my days of working for a Democratic state official, I got to meet and talk with him at fundraisers and he is a totally class act with a great sense of humor! :drink:

zulater
02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Do you ever run into former Raiders and argue with them about the Immaculate Reception?

Yeah, me and [former Raiders linebacker] Phil Villapiano still go at it every now and then. For years, Phil kept telling people that I was loafing on the play and I got lucky. So I saw him about a month ago and I finally said, “Phil, look, you say I was loafing, right? Well, when Bradshaw was scrambling and I released out of the backfield, me and you were side by side, but guess who got to the ball first? So who was loafing, Phil?” He didn’t know what to say. We’ll quiet the rest of the Raiders in time.

Excellent Franco! I've seen and heard Villapiano on several segments on NFL films, and on NFL radio from time to time, and the guy is like a broken record, whining about the Steelers all the time. :cry02:

Glad Franco put that putz in his place. :applaudit:

tube517
02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Exactly. The Raiders and Cryboys still whine to this day. I've seen the Phil segments on NFL Films and he is a big ass whiny baby. Funny to know that he was covering Franco on that play. :rofl2:

Do you ever run into former Raiders and argue with them about the Immaculate Reception?

Yeah, me and [former Raiders linebacker] Phil Villapiano still go at it every now and then. For years, Phil kept telling people that I was loafing on the play and I got lucky. So I saw him about a month ago and I finally said, “Phil, look, you say I was loafing, right? Well, when Bradshaw was scrambling and I released out of the backfield, me and you were side by side, but guess who got to the ball first? So who was loafing, Phil?” He didn’t know what to say. We’ll quiet the rest of the Raiders in time.

Excellent Franco! I've seen and heard Villapiano on several segments on NFL films, and on NFL radio from time to time, and the guy is like a broken record, whining about the Steelers all the time. :cry02:

Glad Franco put that putz in his place. :applaudit:

zulater
02-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I think Franco might be the most underrated Steeler of that era, perhaps even the most underrated player of his time. At the time, Franco was the player defenses game planned to stop, not Terry, not Swann and Stallworth, it was Franco they feared. And the defense was borderline great already by 71, but the team didn't get great until Franco arrived. Franco also got a bad rap because he'd step out of bounds to avoid a big hit sometimes. But he chose his spots wisely, he never cost the Steelers a first down, or touchdown by doing this. And he probably prolonged his career, and certainly improved his life after football by doing this.

Anyway I've still got VCR tapes of a lot of those games, and Franco was not only great back in his time, he'd be just as great now as well. His combination, of size, speed and moves would make him a Hall of Famer in any era.

Chidi29
02-23-2011, 03:08 PM
ROFL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Franco was a great Steeler and a helluva nice guy off the field. Back in my days of working for a Democratic state official, I got to meet and talk with him at fundraisers and he is a totally class act with a great sense of humor! :drink:

Totally agree Marianne.

I've never gotten to meet him but have always read great things about the guy. Like when he staged a sit-in in '97 when a KKK rally was planned in the city. A Pittsburgh icon, one of the most adored men in the city, not forgetting about his roots and core values. That's something that is lost on a lot of athletes today.

SteelerSal
02-23-2011, 03:18 PM
When I was a kid in school, I used to tell everyone that Franco was my uncle. My brothers and friends, all being italian, were part of Franco's Italian Army and we used to walk around the neighborhood with it written all over our t-shirts in permanant marker. :)

Those were the good ole days...great times and even better memories all having to due with the 70's Steelers....better era of the NFL back then..not flashy or about the mighty $.