PDA

View Full Version : Steelers evaluating draft needs

stillers4me
02-22-2011, 06:20 AM
For all that figures to be written about the Steelers' need to address their offensive line early in the 2011 NFL Draft, the team could find itself with a surplus at the all-important position of tackle.

The Steelers want Flozell Adams, who proved to be a revelation at right tackle last season, to return for 2011, and the 13th-year veteran has given every indication that he intends to do so. Max Starks and Willie Colon, the team's starting tackles for most of '08 and '09, are expected to make full recoveries from their respective neck and foot injuries.

If all three are with the Steelers next season it could give the team the flexibility to experiment with Colon at guard -- or simply make it harder on the coaches to settle on the top five linemen.

"Those are problems I'd like to consider at some point," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Monday. "There's a lot of unanswered questions involving that."

The first one is whether Colon will even be with the Steelers next season..............

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_724012.html

LLT
02-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Very good read...though I disagree with Mayock about the depth of CB and OT. I think there is a GREAT deal more value at CB at the end of the 1st and through the 2nd round, then there is at OT.

Aaron Williams...Davon House ...Curtis Brown ...Brandon Burton...Johnny Patrick...and Ras-I Dowling could all be CB's that go in the late 1st through the 2nd round.

Whereas most of the OT's that are expected to go in the 2nd round are projected to end up as OG's in the NFL. Jason Pinkston doesnt have the proto-typical size of an NFL OT... and Marcus Cannon...Orlando Franklin...and DeMarcus Love have the size...but their skill set and lack of agility translates better into OG's.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-22-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm tired of hearing that Colon might experience at guard. He's been here for what 4-5 seasons and never been tried there at all. He may not be back next season anyway.

While I agree that the Steelers need depth at OT, I think they end up picking CB at #31.

LLT
02-22-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm tired of hearing that Colon might experience at guard. He's been here for what 4-5 seasons and never been tried there at all. He may not be back next season anyway.

While I agree that the Steelers need depth at OT, I think they end up picking CB at #31.

Gonzo-

I have been looking at James Carpenter the OT from Alabama and have been pleasantly surprised. He seems to be underrated. Also Really like Clint Boling from Georgia...who is listed as a OG on most sites but all the film that I have seen on him leads me to believe that he could play OT in the NFL.

Texasteel
02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Gonzo-

I have been looking at James Carpenter the OT from Alabama and have been pleasantly surprised. He seems to be underrated. Also Really like Clint Boling from Georgia...who is listed as a OG on most sites but all the film that I have seen on him leads me to believe that he could play OT in the NFL.

I am still very intrigued by Willie Smith of East Carolina as a later round pick. He would not be immediate help, but in a year could evolve into a solid OT, maybe even a LT.

Gonzo, I agree. I was one that thought Colon could be a great guard, but I think that boat has sailed. If it hasn't happened by now, don't think it will.