PDA

View Full Version : I hope Nutting means it..

BPS3akaWirels3
02-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Pirates owner Nutting: Expectations must change
Monday, February 21, 2011
By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
BRADENTON, Fla. -- Pirates owner Bob Nutting held a closed-door meeting with players and staff at Pirate City this morning before the team went through workouts to get a strong point across -- things must change.
"The real message was a change in level of expectations," Nutting told reporters. "It is critically important that they understand, and we understand, that 2011 is not going to be a year where small bits of incremental progress are going to be adequate."
The Pirates finished 57-105 last season, the franchise's 18th consecutive losing season, a record for major professional sports in North America. The 57 wins were the fewest in Pittsburgh since 1952.
Nutting's address was not out of his normal mode of operation in spring training, as for the past few seasons he has addressed players and staff early in camp.
"Until we win a National League championship, we are not going to be satisfied with incremental progress," Nutting said. "It is critically important they understand that right up front."
However, Nutting would not discuss the future of general manager Neal Huntington, who has not been granted a contract extension. Huntington's contract is up at the end of this season. Nutting was asked "whose head is on the block?" if there isn't progress this season.
"I think today is the first day I have addressed the group and we have our first spring training game coming up Saturday," Nutting said. "It is not the right time to start speculating on 'what if we fail?' What we need to do is be focused on what the goal is, what the target is, and be committed to achieve it.
"It is too early to start speculating. It is not productive and not the right use of energy."
Nutting spoke of how he feels new manager Clint Hurdle can breathe fresh life into the Pirates.
Also, the owner said he understands how patience has run out with some fans, and listens when they offer criticism.
"I absolutely listen to it, it makes a huge difference," Nutting said of public feedback. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for and appreciation of the fans, that's the reason the franchise exists. That's one of the reasons Pittsburgh is such a tremendous baseball town and sports town. We owe our fans every opportunity to listen."

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11052/1126969-100.stm#ixzz1EeSrICAb

X-Terminator
02-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Every time I see/hear Nutting speak, my BS alarm reaches critical mass.

If you're really serious about "changing the level of expectations", Bob, you can start by opening up your wallet and start bringing in real players that can make a difference, not a bunch of retreads and has-beens. Besides, you said the same crap last year, and the team promptly had their worst season in nearly 60 years.

In other words, blow it out your ass, Bob.

steelpride12
02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Won't believe it till I see it.

Hindes204
02-21-2011, 10:00 PM
He says this same shit every year, he drives me nuts....actions are what we need not words. I'm tired of watching the pirates suck

steelerdude15
02-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Nutting, sell the team.

HometownGal
02-22-2011, 07:46 AM
He's so full of shit that you can smell it when he opens his mouth to speak. :poop:

I fondly remember the days when the Pirates were owned by the Galbreaths - owners who cared about putting a quality team out on that field to give the fans what they paid for. John Galbreath was a wonderful human being and an owner who opened up his wallet to ensure quality in Pittsburgh. :rip:

steelpride12
02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Haha here is the video which is even more funny, how big of an idiot can he be! :

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13117461&c_id=pit&tcid=fb-pit-misc100

cakmakli
02-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Nutting's address was not out of his normal mode of operation in spring training, as for the past few seasons he has addressed players and staff early in camp.

I think the above says it all. We have all heard the same song and dance before.

However, Nutting would not discuss the future of general manager Neal Huntington, who has not been granted a contract extension. Huntington's contract is up at the end of this season

The end of the season is too late. Huntington needs to go now.

cakmakli
02-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Haha here is the video which is even more funny, how big of an idiot can he be! :

I can't believe that I got suckered into listening to that drivel. What a waste of 2 1/2 minutes? I really, really dislike that man...alot.

Edman
03-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Basically PR speak to give the papers something to write about.