PDA

View Full Version : SU Mock Draft feedback.

LLT
02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Let me know what you think about the Steeler Universe mock draft (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/Draft.html).

The draft will be updated on a regular basis and we will be linking it into other sites.

Texasteel
02-21-2011, 07:39 PM
I personally like this draft, it's pretty close to my thoughts............. At least till the combine is over. I particularly like the Cards pick, though I don't trust the Cards to do the right thing, the Vikings, and God help me, the Eagles. Good job buddy.

Aussie_steeler
02-22-2011, 02:29 AM
Looks good Perry

I have this feeling that Ryan Kerrigan is this years Aaron Maybin / Vernon Gholston.

If Amukamara falls that far someone is going to get one hell of a steal. I kind of think he is a cowboy type pick.

As long as you pick a junior for the steelers I think you are going to be very close to the money

My climber over the next few weeks is DT Muhammad Wilkerson. I think he is going to post some awesome combine numbers that will make some teams drool.

Texasteel
02-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Looks good Perry

I have this feeling that Ryan Kerrigan is this years Aaron Maybin / Vernon Gholston.

If Amukamara falls that far someone is going to get one hell of a steal. I kind of think he is a cowboy type pick.

As long as you pick a junior for the steelers I think you are going to be very close to the money

My climber over the next few weeks is DT Muhammad Wilkerson. I think he is going to post some awesome combine numbers that will make some teams drool.

Amukamara does look a bit like a cowboy, but I really think they go OL. You think we complained about our OL, you should have been in Dallas.

Sides, there are few mico-breweries down town, you and I could spend all week down there.

I've got Taylor as my big climber, but your right about Wilkerson. He was right to come out this year.

LLT
02-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Looks good Perry

Amukamura's value is going to live and die at the combine...there are some rumors out there that he will run above a 4.5.

My climber over the next few weeks is DT Muhammad Wilkerson. I think he is going to post some awesome combine numbers that will make some teams drool

I am with you on Wilkerson...He could very easliy be a 1st rounder. This DE class is SO deep that there will be serious value in the 2nd round.

QB is another spot that I think teams will be looking for value in round 2. Mallet, Ponder and Kaepernick couild all be drafted before round 3...and if someone panics... Andy Dalton might end up being a late 2nd rounder.

LLT
02-22-2011, 06:05 AM
I personally like this draft, it's pretty close to my thoughts............. At least till the combine is over. I particularly like the Cards pick, though I don't trust the Cards to do the right thing, the Vikings, and God help me, the Eagles. Good job buddy.

You are exactly right...the mock drafts will have to be completely reorganized after the combine. You can add the Bills to the list of teams that might make you scratch your head before this draft is over.

86WARD
02-22-2011, 08:09 PM
If there is a rookie wage scale, I could see a lot of QB's go early on. It's a great way to get a key position at a "cheap rate" if that's the case. None of these teams would have to worry about paying Matthew Stafford/Sam Bradford type money...

Aussie_steeler
02-23-2011, 02:37 AM
QB is another spot that I think teams will be looking for value in round 2. Mallet, Ponder and Kaepernick couild all be drafted before round 3...and if someone panics... Andy Dalton might end up being a late 2nd rounder.

This is the perfect scenario for Colbert. I think he would gladly trade this pick (2nd Round) to load up in the 3rd round if someone is stupid enough to gamble on a QB.

LLT
02-23-2011, 04:02 AM
This is the perfect scenario for Colbert. I think he would gladly trade this pick (2nd Round) to load up in the 3rd round if someone is stupid enough to gamble on a QB.

This very well could be a year in which we trade out of the first. If the top tier OT's are gone...and some team in need of a QB (Buffalo, Arizona) ....wants to leap frog the competition...they may attempt to trade up to #31.

It would cost the Bills the third pick in the 2nd round (#35 overall) and the third pick in the 5th round (#131 overall)

It would cost the Cardinals the 5th pick in the 2nd round (#37 overall) and their 5th and 6th round picks...(#133 & #165)

In both scenerios we could stil get a very good CB in the second round

LLT
02-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Wanted to add my pre-combine thoughts about the complete Steelers Draft.

1) Aaron Williams CB Texas 6'1 195
Great size and speed. Very good man to man cornerback who can stay with virtually any reciever. Over the last two seasons he posted 169 tackles tackles, 4 sacks, 17 TFL, 6 INTs, 36 PBU, 9 forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and five blocked punts.

2) Jurrell Casey NT Southern California 6'1 305
Last year he posted 67 tackles, 11 TFL and 4.5 sacks. Short, solid defender. Plays with great leverage and elite lower body strength. Great burst off the snap. Good hand punch to jar his opponent backward and gain a quick release. Wont give up until the whistle blows. Would like to see him add about 15 lbs.

3) Clint Boling OG/OT Georgia 6'5 310
One of the few OL prospects who shined at the senior bowl. Film on Boling shows him to be very strong and agile. He has good knee bend, but often stands upright, which is correctable with a good O-line coach. At he very least Boling would be a outstanding and athletically gifted LG, and there is a chance that he could play LT in the pros.

4) Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU 6'2 250
Three year starter for LSU finished career with 311 tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, seven pass breakups, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and two fumble recoveries. Runs a 4.64 forty and could be a versatile player who could play ILB and OLB.

5) David Carter DE UCLA 6'5 297
Carter had a disappointing senior season, but made the most of his invite to the senior bowl. He showed up for every practice like he owned the field and was virtually unblockable. He was beating blockers off the snap and overpowering those who nade the mistake of trying to block him alone. Carter forced his opponants to double team if they wanted any chance of stopping him.

6) Lee Smith TE Marshall 6'6 269
Smith is the perfect remedy for the Matt Spaeth problem. He is an accomplished blocker who has soft hands when needed. He is the perfect reserve TE to back up Miller if needed, and will be an huge bonus to the run game when we run a two TE set.

7) Josh Jasper K LSU 5'10 173
Consensus All-America, with a field goal percentage of 83.9%. Made 28 FG's in 2010 and has a career extra point record of 75 extra point out of 76 attempts. Made 16 FG's of 40-yards or better, and was 5 of 7 from 50+ yards..

This draft is constructed under the assumption that we might not resign Colon...Fox..Spaeth. That we will bring in youth at DT and DE...and that we will bring in competition at Kicker

Texasteel
02-24-2011, 07:47 AM
I like your Steelers draft as well particularly 4 and 6. I have mine posted in the Pre-combine thread if you haven't seen it. I have to admit I was a little over hopeful on the 1st two picks.

Chidi29
02-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Wanted to add my pre-combine thoughts about the complete Steelers Draft.

1) Aaron Williams CB Texas 6'1 195
Great size and speed. Very good man to man cornerback who can stay with virtually any reciever. Over the last two seasons he posted 169 tackles tackles, 4 sacks, 17 TFL, 6 INTs, 36 PBU, 9 forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and five blocked punts.

2) Jurrell Casey DT Southern California 6'1 305
Last year he posted 67 tackles, 11 TFL and 4.5 sacks. Short, solid defender. Plays with great leverage and elite lower body strength. Great burst off the snap. Good hand punch to jar his opponent backward and gain a quick release. Wont give up until the whistle blows. Would like to see him add about 15 lbs.

3) Clint Boling OG/OT Georgia 6'5 310
One of the few OL prospects who shined at the senior bowl. Film on Boling shows him to be very strong and agile. He has good knee bend, but often stands upright, which is correctable with a good O-line coach. At he very least Boling would be a outstanding and athletically gifted LG, and there is a chance that he could play LT in the pros.

4) Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU 6'2 250
Three year starter for LSU finished career with 311 tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, seven pass breakups, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and two fumble recoveries. Runs a 4.64 forty and could be a versatile player who could play ILB and OLB.

Carter had a disappointing senior season, but made the most of his invite to the senior bowl. He showed up for every practice like he owned the field and was virtually unblockable. He was beating blockers off the snap and overpowering those who nade the mistake of trying to block him alone. Carter forced his opponants to double team if they wanted any chance of stopping him.

Smith is the perfect remedy for the Matt Spaeth problem. He is an accomplished blocker who has soft hands when needed. He is the perfect reserve TE to back up Miller if needed, and will be an huge bonus to the run game when we run a two TE set.

Consensus All-America, with a field goal percentage of 83.9%. Made 28 FG's in 2010 and has a career extra point record of 75 extra point out of 76 attempts. Made 16 FG's of 40-yards or better, and was 5 of 7 from 50+ yards..

This draft is constructed under the assumption that we might not resign Colon...Fox..Spaeth. That we will bring in youth at DT and DE...and that we will bring in competition at Kicker

Good stuff as always Perry. If I had to nitpick on one thing, it'd be taking two 3-4 DEs and no NT. Ideally, I'd like to take one DE and one NT.

Texasteel
02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Not that I can speak for Perry, but I believe he is saying that at 6'1", and with the lower body strength that Casey possesses. If he could put on a few lbs. without effecting his play, he probably could play NT.

If not, we could have 3 excellent DEs we could rotate.

Chidi29
02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Not that I can speak for Perry, but I believe he is saying that at 6'1", and with the lower body strength that Casey possesses. If he could put on a few lbs. without effecting his play, he probably could play NT.

If not, we could have 3 excellent DEs we could rotate.

That's true. I don't know a whole lot about Casey but I don't recall anyone ever calling him a 3-4 NT. I've usually heard 4-3 DT or kicking out to end in a 3-4.

LLT
02-26-2011, 07:48 AM
That's true. I don't know a whole lot about Casey but I don't recall anyone ever calling him a 3-4 NT. I've usually heard 4-3 DT or kicking out to end in a 3-4.

Sorry about that Chidi...I should have been more specific and stated that I thought Casey would be a NT with our defense.

He does have experience doing so with the Trojans

2008 Season
Casey saw significant playing time as a backup nose tackle as a first-year freshman in 2008

2009 Season
Started all of 2009 on the defensive line as a sophomore. He started twice at nose tackle (Notre Dame, Oregon State) and the other 11 games at defensive tackle
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631879

LLT
02-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Hey Draftniks!!!!

Steelers Universe Mock Draft is now featured at:

Walter Football.com....NFL Draft Dog.com.....D.C. Pro Sports Report.com........Sports Jabber.com.......NFL Mocks.com........The Football Fan Spot.com.......and NFL Draft Today.com.

-LLT

Chidi29
02-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Sorry about that Chidi...I should have been more specific and stated that I thought Casey would be a NT with our defense.

He does have experience doing so with the Trojans

Of course, that's him working in a 4-3 (I assume at least). 3-4 NT is a totally different story, as I'm sure you kow.

KeiselPower99
02-26-2011, 12:38 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01Lz1YV9kTdQW/340x.jpg

LLT
02-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Of course, that's him working in a 4-3 (I assume at least). 3-4 NT is a totally different story, as I'm sure you know.

Very aware of that. But the difference between a 3-4 NT and a 4-3 NT is more scheme than ability. . In the 4-3 your NT is your bigger DT lining up off the Center's shoulder and handling the "A" gap to tie up blockers and collapse the pocket. The second DT is smaller and usually quick of the snap...more of a slasher. Casey played both... but I dont think he is as good of a fit as a pro 4-3 three-technique. Casey has the power to take on two blockers and push the pocket back into the QB and his squat body type allows the leverage needed to maximize his lower body strength. As I said, he may need to add about 15 lbs for me to be completely happy with him at NT.

Most scouts have him listed as a 3-4 NT or 4-3 DT... but I think he is WAAAAAY too small too be a 3-4 DE.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Nice work, but I sure hope that if Carimi is there at #31, that we dont pass on him. Good value there and a guy that can is reminding me of Bulaga. Will be at RT for a long time, but is so efficient that he could play LT in a few years. I think Carimi can start at RT day one and that Starks and Carimi start, while Jon Scott and Chris Scott backup.

If we sign Taylor, I think CB goes on the back burner till round 2. If not, then CB could very well be the pick.

stillers4me
02-27-2011, 10:53 AM
If we sign Taylor, I think CB goes on the back burner till round 2. If not, then CB could very well be the pick.

That's my thinking, too. And which ever it is, we need a bullseye like we got last year.

LLT
02-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Nice work, but I sure hope that if Carimi is there at #31, that we dont pass on him. Good value there and a guy that can is reminding me of Bulaga. Will be at RT for a long time, but is so efficient that he could play LT in a few years. I think Carimi can start at RT day one and that Starks and Carimi start, while Jon Scott and Chris Scott backup.

That's my thinking, too. And which ever it is, we need a bullseye like we got last year.

I could go either way with CB Aaron Williams or OT Gabe Carimi....and would not be dissapointed in either pick. It will be easier to sort some of this out after the combine is over.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2011, 11:21 AM

I kind of made this point in another thread, but the nice thing about picking at the bottom of the draft is that you are not compelled to take a guy with huge upside to justify the high rookie cap hit. at #31, they can take the BPA and a guy that is a good football player.

Its like Jason Smith over Michael Oher, or Anthony Davis over Brian Bulaga and maybe this year Nate Solder over Gabe Carimi. Many will think its easier to pick at the top, but the pressure to "not miss" the next great one is sometimes harder than picking the solid guy

Texasteel
02-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Hypothetical, Pouncey, Carimi, Williams is gone. Arizona sees a QB they like a great deal but are afraid that the bills are going to grab him. They offer their 2nd, and 4th round picks, for our 1st, that would be about 25 points in our favor. Any of you take it?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Hypothetical, Pouncey, Carimi, Williams is gone. Arizona sees a QB they like a great deal but are afraid that the bills are going to grab him. They offer their 2nd, and 5th round picks, for our 1st, that would be about 25 points in our favor. Any of you take it?

My bad, that is 6 spots back and I dont want to risk that the guy we want will be taken. I dont trade down. I read your question wrong.

Texasteel
02-28-2011, 10:22 AM
The DEs look very, very fast. Not just the 40, but th3 10 yard split looked good. Austin and Ballard are both looking pretty good, if some coach could build a fire under them.

LLT
02-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Hypothetical, Pouncey, Carimi, Williams is gone. Arizona sees a QB they like a great deal but are afraid that the bills are going to grab him. They offer their 2nd, and 5th round picks, for our 1st, that would be about 25 points in our favor. Any of you take it?

Man..these trade possibilities get so complex.

I can actually see a scenerio in which the Bengals trade down six slots for the Redskins McNabb, allowing Washington to move up to #4 and draft either Gabbert or Newton. Then the Bengals could trade back three slots to #7 by sending Palmer to San Francisco, thus alowing them to get "something" for Palmer and draft whoever is left out of Gabbert and Newton.

...complicated enough?

LLT
03-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Updated 7 round Steelers Mock.

1) Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia 6'1 198
Highly ranked CB after his junior season but decided to return for his senior year. Between doubts about his speed and recovering from an ankle fracture, Dowling dropped from a potential first round to a late 2nd round prospect. He is a very good zone coverage CB and his only knock in man to man was that he might not be fast enough to stay with receivers. . I think that the Virginia CB erased all doubts by running a very respectable 4.46 forty at the combine

2) Marcus Cannon OT TCU 6’5 358 Surprisingly athletic Offensive tackle for a man his size. Looked agile at the Combine. Some had him destined for a move to the inside but I think he raised enough eyebrows to warrant serious consideration as a OT.

3) Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU 6'2 250
Three year starter for LSU finished career with 311 tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, seven pass breakups, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and two fumble recoveries. Runs a 4.64 forty and could be a versatile player who could play ILB and OLB. I had though that we might be able to get Sheppard in the 4th round but his stock is rising and he is still worth the third round grade.

4) Ian Williams NT Notre Dame Sr 6’1 319 Looks like Williams is completely healed from his injury earlier in the year. I loved this guy earlier in the year (pre-injury)…and would love to bring his strength and work ethic to the Steelers

Consensus All-America, with a field goal percentage of 83.9%. Made 28 FG's in 2010 and has a career extra point record of 75 extra point out of 76 attempts. Made 16 FG's of 40-yards or better, and was 5 of 7 from 50+ yards.

What does SU think?

Texasteel
03-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Updated 7 round Steelers Mock.

1) Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia 6'1 198
Highly ranked CB after his junior season but decided to return for his senior year. Between doubts about his speed and recovering from an ankle fracture, Dowling dropped from a potential first round to a late 2nd round prospect. He is a very good zone coverage CB and his only knock in man to man was that he might not be fast enough to stay with receivers. . I think that the Virginia CB erased all doubts by running a very respectable 4.46 forty at the combine

2) Marcus Cannon OT TCU 6’5 358 Surprisingly athletic Offensive tackle for a man his size. Looked agile at the Combine. Some had him destined for a move to the inside but I think he raised enough eyebrows to warrant serious consideration as a OT.

3) Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU 6'2 250
Three year starter for LSU finished career with 311 tackles, 26 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, seven pass breakups, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and two fumble recoveries. Runs a 4.64 forty and could be a versatile player who could play ILB and OLB. I had though that we might be able to get Sheppard in the 4th round but his stock is rising and he is still worth the third round grade.

4) Ian Williams NT Notre Dame Sr 6’1 319 Looks like Williams is completely healed from his injury earlier in the year. I loved this guy earlier in the year (pre-injury)…and would love to bring his strength and work ethic to the Steelers

Consensus All-America, with a field goal percentage of 83.9%. Made 28 FG's in 2010 and has a career extra point record of 75 extra point out of 76 attempts. Made 16 FG's of 40-yards or better, and was 5 of 7 from 50+ yards.

What does SU think?

1,2, and 3 are exactly what I was thinking.

A good pro day and Dowling is right back in the 1st round. We get a kid that probably would have gone in the top 20 if not for the injury year.

Cannon is showing that indeed he can play RT in the pros, something I didn't thing a month ago. Still think he could make a hell of a OG. I just hope he is still there.

Sheppard, I think moved into the 3rd round, and I want this kid.

That is as far as I have gone so far, but the rest look pretty darn good to me.

William must have put on almost 15lbs since the end of the season. That shows me that he knows where his value lies. If we can get him to fire off the line every time we will be set at NT for a long time.

Carter just looks better every time I see him. Hope he doesn't move up any further.

Smith, I think I have made myself clear on this kid

Jasper I can take or leave, but he is one of the 2 or 3 best K in the draft.

LLT
03-02-2011, 01:31 PM
William must have put on almost 15lbs since the end of the season. That shows me that he knows where his value lies. If we can get him to fire off the line every time we will be set at NT for a long time.

I think you are exactly right. Williams is going to show scouts that he can hold down that 3-4 NT position. The nice thing about going for a NT in the 4th round is that we could look at Williams or Fua. Almost identical players..and I like both equally well. The nod goes to Williams only because he has that extra 10 lbs of sand in his pants.

Texasteel
03-02-2011, 02:18 PM
One Question. If Sherrod is there at 31 do you think the Steelers might give him consideration, or do you think he has completed his slide into the 2nd round.

Chidi29
03-02-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how long Williams' arms are. I normally won't get too focused on it, but at the senior bowl, they were around 30 1/2 inches. At the Combine, I'm seeing them around 32 which is fine in my book. Which is it?

st33lersguy
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I would take Williams

Texasteel
03-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I would take Williams

Because you think he is a better player, or because you are afraid of Dowlings injuries?

Chidi29
03-02-2011, 04:01 PM
One Question. If Sherrod is there at 31 do you think the Steelers might give him consideration, or do you think he has completed his slide into the 2nd round.

It can be so difficult to answer these types of questions Tex, as I'm sure you know, because we're getting one piece of the board. But I think he would have to get consideration from a pure BPA standpoint because you have to figure he's going to be one of the top guys remaining.

I question if he could play RT though. I see him more as a finesse run blocker. Not a bad one but definitely not the mauler you expect from the right side. And if we deem Starks to be healthy, then we don't have much of a reason to draft a LT. While it's our MO to let guys sit, offensive lineman like Pouncey have a good track record of being able to step in and play at a high level right away.

I'm still in the Ijalana or draft Rodney Hudson and move Kemoeatu to RG camp. Disappointed that Ijalana had hernia surgery. Maybe that just means that teams that don't scout as well won't get to see this guy live at any point.

LLT
03-04-2011, 03:45 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how long Williams' arms are. I normally won't get too focused on it, but at the senior bowl, they were around 30 1/2 inches. At the Combine, I'm seeing them around 32 which is fine in my book. Which is it?

Everything I am seeing is that he has 32 inch arms.

LLT
03-04-2011, 03:56 AM
I'm still in the Ijalana or draft Rodney Hudson and move Kemoeatu to RG camp. Disappointed that Ijalana had hernia surgery. Maybe that just means that teams that don't scout as well won't get to see this guy live at any point.

If we dont take OT/OG Cannon with our second pick...I would be very tempted to go after OG Will Rackley. He was the best lineman at the East-West Shrine game by far.

Texasteel
03-04-2011, 06:27 AM
If we dont take OT/OG Cannon with our second pick...I would be very tempted to go after OG Will Rackley. He was the best lineman at the East-West Shrine game by far.

If we do it had better be in the 3rd, the kid is starting to climb.

Texasteel
03-04-2011, 08:32 PM
I think that Dowling might have got himself back into the 1st round and Williams forty probably will force him into being slotted as a safety and dropped him to the 2nd round.

Perry I was very impressed with Gilchrist as well. and even with the good combine performance we could still pick him up in the 4th. No I'm not after a 2nd CB, I would like to try him at FS. He has good speed and is a good hard tackler. In the drills it looked to me he could change direction on a dime. I think he could work the middle of the field very well. Last year he was named the strongest player pound for pound on the Clemson team. Don't know if anyone remembers this, but he's best year was 2009, and that was the year he played FS.

LLT
03-05-2011, 07:41 AM
I think that Dowling might have got himself back into the 1st round and Williams forty probably will force him into being slotted as a safety and dropped him to the 2nd round.

Totally agree....and you are going to like the updated draft!!

Perry I was very impressed with Gilchrist as well. and even with the good combine performance we could still pick him up in the 4th. No I'm not after a 2nd CB, I would like to try him at FS. He has good speed and is a good hard tackler. In the drills it looked to me he could change direction on a dime. I think he could work the middle of the field very well. Last year he was named the strongest player pound for pound on the Clemson team. Don't know if anyone remembers this, but he's best year was 2009, and that was the year he played FS

He might be perfect as s safety, though I think he is going to have to add some muscle to his frame. I am looking forward to Chimdi Chekwa's pro day...so that I can see him perform all the drills. he is supposed to get the screws out of his wrist on the 15th of this month.

Texasteel
03-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Sorry Perry, that Quote was yours from another thread that I cut and pasted. I should have stated that. Although I don't disagree with it. I don't want to take credit for your thoughts. I do think that Dowling will have to run the drills at some point to push his way back into the 1st round. Hopefully Pro Day.

I have been trying to figure a way to get both Hudson, and Curtis Brown, without loosing picks. The best scenario would be if Buffalo, Cincy, Arizona, and SF all pass on a QB in the 1st. One of them could be attracted to the 31st pick, but still not sure that would give us enough mussel to get them both.

LLT
03-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Sorry Perry, that Quote was yours from another thread that I cut and pasted. I should have stated that. Although I don't disagree with it. I don't want to take credit for your thoughts. I do think that Dowling will have to run the drills at some point to push his way back into the 1st round. Hopefully Pro Day.

I have been trying to figure a way to get both Hudson, and Curtis Brown, without loosing picks. The best scenario would be if Buffalo, Cincy, Arizona, and SF all pass on a QB in the 1st. One of them could be attracted to the 31st pick, but still not sure that would give us enough mussel to get them both.

I have backed off of Hudson...I just wrote an editorial about scouting in which I broke down some of the prospects using Pat Kirwans Explosion Number formula and Hudson performed terribly.

I really do think that Dowling will end up being a first rounder...but I would be VERY happy if he dropped to the bottom of the second. If you look at his Junior year film....I actually think he could be better than Brandon Harris. The only problem is that Marcus Cannon is rising on the draft boards and we I'm not confident at this point that we can get him at #64

Chidi29
03-05-2011, 01:26 PM
I still like Hudson a ton based on what I've watched of him but I am concerned by his poor agility numbers after gaining 20 pounds for the Combine. Honestly, I'd rather have him play at 280 and move the way he did in college than play at 300 and move more slowly.

Don't want him to gain weight for the sake of gaining weight.

Texasteel
03-05-2011, 01:47 PM
I agree that a health Dowling is better than Harris, but I am always a little afraid of a player with a string of injuries making it back to his old self. He ran very well at the combine, but the fact that he did participate in the drills tells me his is not comfortable with his condition right yet, and I would like to see how he does before I put him back into the first round. It he does well I will be delighted to spend the 31st pick on him, if we get the chance, remember, other teams are watching him as well.

I do like Hudson, but I don't want a guard that will be pushed back into the QBs lap, and I'm afraid of a 280 lb lineman with the DL getting bigger and stronger every year. It Hudson gaining weight will diminish his skills I think I would rather go with Ijalana, or Cannon, or even Rackley (who we may have to grab in the second round now if he has a good Pro Day.) I know I may be in the minority, but I feel we have to get Kemo off the left side. I think we would love to pull our LG more often, and Kemo just doesn't seem to be able to find his block most of the time. I think he would do fine on the right side, but he scares my a little where he is.

Perry, this seems to happen to one or both of us every year. We find someone we really like in the 4th round and by draft day he's early 2nd or 1st round. Damit.

LLT
03-05-2011, 01:50 PM
I still like Hudson a ton based on what I've watched of him but I am concerned by his poor agility numbers after gaining 20 pounds for the Combine. Honestly, I'd rather have him play at 280 and move the way he did in college than play at 300 and move more slowly.

Don't want him to gain weight for the sake of gaining weight.

I loved Hudson based on the eye test alone. I am hoping he puts up better numbers at his pro day. I think you are on to something in regards to his putting on the 20 lbs...he isnt doing himself any favors if he cant carry the extra weight well.

LLT
03-05-2011, 01:56 PM
I agree that a health Dowling is better than Harris, but I am always a little afraid of a player with a string of injuries making it back to his old self. He ran very well at the combine, but the fact that he did participate in the drills tells me his is not comfortable with his condition right yet, and I would like to see how he does before I put him back into the first round. It he does well I will be delighted to spend the 31st pick on him, if we get the chance, remember, other teams are watching him as well.

I do like Hudson, but I don't want a guard that will be pushed back into the QBs lap, and I'm afraid of a 280 lb lineman with the DL getting bigger and stronger every year. It Hudson gaining weight will diminish his skills I think I would rather go with Ijalana, or Cannon, or even Rackley (who we may have to grab in the second round now if he has a good Pro Day.) I know I may be in the minority, but I feel we have to get Kemo off the left side. I think we would love to pull our LG more often, and Kemo just doesn't seem to be able to find his block most of the time. I think he would do fine on the right side, but he scares my a little where he is.

Perry, this seems to happen to one or both of us every year. We find someone we really like in the 4th round and by draft day he's early 2nd or 1st round. Damit.

Isnt that the truth..I am totally enamored with Marcus Cannon now, and he has jumped up into the 2nd round. ILB Ross Homan is another player that I liked at the combine and he actually put up better numbers than Shepherd. Homan came in at 12 lbs heavier than he was listed in college and still looked lean and muscular. He and Justin Houston put up some SERIOUS numbers!!!

Aussie_steeler
03-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Couple of thoughts Perry about Version 2

1. Ras I Dowling at 31.

I could live with the pick, however I think he is a mid 2nd round pick. Last year I had him as a top 25 pick until he chose to stay.
I would find it hard to see Colbert pass on Wilkerson ( you know my thoughts about Colberts infatuation with young junior talent)

2. I still see AJ Green as the #1 WR over Julio. The browns will probably take a WR and if they dont I could see Cinci taking one. Julio was impressive at the combine but I think AJ is the closest prospect to Calvin Johnson since megatrons arrival in the NFL

3. I agree that Cinci and Cleveland are going to make serious attempts to improve their passing attacks. To beat the steelers you need to dissect them with your #2 & #3 WR's. This validates the Dowling pick even more.

4. As a chargers fan I would be scared to see Ryan Kerrigan as the pick. I think he has Larry English / bust written all over him as well.

5. If Tyron Smith is available at #17 I would be throwing all at a trade to get him. He is a top 10 pick IMO.

6. I could see Martez Wilson being this years Weatherspoon at LB. I think he will get looks at OLB and ILB across all types of Defensive schemes.

7. I like the Cam Newton pick. If I was a GM who took him at #1 I would be extremely worried about my future in 2 - 3 years. With a rookie pay scale I think he is a justifiable risk at this point of the first round.

Your a better man than I Perry, I couldnt find the time to put together such a polished draft. However I do know that your not in this for purely the backslapping, but for some serious draft dialouge.

Keep giving us food for thought.

Cheers Aussie

LLT
03-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Couple of thoughts Perry about Version 2

1. Ras I Dowling at 31.

I could live with the pick, however I think he is a mid 2nd round pick. Last year I had him as a top 25 pick until he chose to stay.

One week later and it looks like Cannon and Dowling are both settling into the 2nd round. Cannon as high 2nd rounder and Dowling in the low/middle 2nd.

Would this be a good year to trade down?

The broncos have some serious needs on defense....what are the odds of them trading away their two 2nd rounds picks to move into the back part of the first round? It would cost us our 1st, 2nd and probably a mid round pick next year

Chidi29
03-09-2011, 03:04 PM
One week later and it looks like Cannon and Dowling are both settling into the 2nd round. Cannon as high 2nd rounder and Dowling in the low/middle 2nd.

Would this be a good year to trade down?

The broncos have some serious needs on defense....what are the odds of them trading away their two 2nd rounds picks to move into the back part of the first round? It would cost us our 1st, 2nd and probably a mid round pick next year

To chip in, we have traded with Denver in recent years. Got out of the second round in a deal with them. I know it's a new coaching staff but the other higher-ups in the front office may still be there. Know Bowlen is.

LLT
03-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Just finished the latest update on the Steelers Universe mock draft. It should be posted on the board very soon.

Sorry that there is such a delay since the last revision...but I think there are some pretty substantial surprises for everyone. New names in the top 32...a new overall #1 pick...and a new pick for our Beloved Steelers!!!

Hope you all enjoy.

fansince'76
03-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Just finished the latest update on the Steelers Universe mock draft. It should be posted on the board very soon.

Sorry that there is such a delay since the last revision...but I think there are some pretty substantial surprises for everyone. New names in the top 32...a new overall #1 pick...and a new pick for our Beloved Steelers!!!

Hope you all enjoy.

The latest update is now up - I can definitely confirm there were a LOT of changes. :thumbsup:

Aussie_steeler
03-21-2011, 04:11 AM
If Tyron Smith is available at #19 then I am seriously looking at packaging my #1 and #2 to land him. It may not leave many options at #3 for a CB but it would be worth a serious look. If you make that trade then you are really looking at paying bigger money for Ike or maybe Nmandi Asomuga to sure up one CB slot. Not sure if you can take that risk.

I agree with your top 10 assessment of JJ Watt. Someone is going to fall in love with him and grab him early.

Not sure if Jimmy Smith goes before Brandon Harris due to character issues.

The QB's are one area of the draft where I cant get my head around. I like your conservative approach, as they seem more realistic to value, but I think some clown GM will overpay and gamble their franchise on Gabbert or Newton.

Sherrod is a conservative / safe pick that I could handle.

Good Job Perry.

Texasteel
03-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Always love your mocks Perry.

I don't mind the Sherrod pick at all. You know I've been hoping for a new LT and he would be it.

I'm starting to get infatuated with Wilkerson, and if he is there when we pick, he would not break my heart either.

If we get to the 26th, 27th pick and Carimi is still there, I kinda hope they explore the possibility of leap frogging Chicago.

LLT
03-21-2011, 09:52 AM
If Tyron Smith is available at #19 then I am seriously looking at packaging my #1 and #2 to land him. It may not leave many options at #3 for a CB but it would be worth a serious look. If you make that trade then you are really looking at paying bigger money for Ike or maybe Nmandi Asomuga to sure up one CB slot. Not sure if you can take that risk.

I agree with your top 10 assessment of JJ Watt. Someone is going to fall in love with him and grab him early.

Not sure if Jimmy Smith goes before Brandon Harris due to character issues.

The QB's are one area of the draft where I cant get my head around. I like your conservative approach, as they seem more realistic to value, but I think some clown GM will overpay and gamble their franchise on Gabbert or Newton.

Sherrod is a conservative / safe pick that I could handle.

Good Job Perry.

This is a hard year to mock. Teams like Carolina...Buffalo...Houston....Kansas City could go in several directions. I could very easily switch the first Patriots pick with the San Diego pick and make an argument that they both are filling immediate needs.

These are players that I am interested in:

1) OT Derek Sherrod /NT Phil Taylor/DE Muhammed Wilkerson/CB Brandon Harris
2) CB Ras-I Dowling/OG Benjamin Ijalana/OT Marcus Cannon/OLB Brooks Reed
3) NT Jerrell Powe/FS Robert Sands/ILB Kelvin Sheppard/Will Rackley
4) OG John Moffitt/CB Rashad Carmichael/OLB Ross Homan/NT Ian Williams
5) DE Cedric Thornton/OT Chris Hairston/CB Justin Rogers/ILB Mike Mohamed
6) TE Lee Smith/DE David Carter/ILB Doug Hogue/RB Da’Rel Scott
7) Kicker Josh Jasper/FS Mark LeGree/CB Ryan Jones/OT Jah Reid

UDFA:

OLB Bruce Miller
OT Rob McGill
ILB Brad Jefferson
NT Anthony Gray
FS Chris Prosinski
NT Adrian Taylor
OG Pat Illig
ILB Alex Wujciak

LLT
03-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Always love your mocks Perry.

I don't mind the Sherrod pick at all. You know I've been hoping for a new LT and he would be it.

I'm starting to get infatuated with Wilkerson, and if he is there when we pick, he would not break my heart either.

If we get to the 26th, 27th pick and Carimi is still there, I kinda hope they explore the possibility of leap frogging Chicago.

I love Carimi. In a perfect world...the Bears would take Sherrod and leave us Carmi at #31. Not that Sherrod is chopped liver...he has great potential in a year of two. I just love the throwback mentality of Carimi

Texasteel
03-21-2011, 10:40 AM
UDFA:

OLB Bruce Miller
OT Rob McGill
ILB Brad Jefferson
NT Anthony Gray
FS Chris Prosinski
NT Adrian Taylor
OG Pat Illig
ILB Alex Wujciak

Chris Prosinski is a kid I have looking at for a while now. In the last draft I put together I took him in the 7th. If he go undrafted, I hope we jump on him quick.

LLT
03-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Chris Prosinski is a kid I have looking at for a while now. In the last draft I put together I took him in the 7th. If he go undrafted, I hope we jump on him quick.

I have seen him anywhere from the 6th round to UDFA.

He had one heck of a pro day!!!! He ran a 4.39 forty, had an 11'2 broad jump, and had a 39.5 inch vertical!!! The bad thing about his pro-day is that it is going to get teams to look at his stats..which are impressive. No more flying under the radar.

Texasteel
03-21-2011, 11:59 AM
I have seen him anywhere from the 6th round to UDFA.

He had one heck of a pro day!!!! He ran a 4.39 forty, had an 11'2 broad jump, and had a 39.5 inch vertical!!! The bad thing about his pro-day is that it is going to get teams to look at his stats..which are impressive. No more flying under the radar.

He has good size too. 6'0", 200 lbs. I swear all we have to do in say the name and they start climbing in the draft. I think we make these kids more money than their agents do.

LLT
03-21-2011, 12:15 PM
He has good size too. 6'0", 200 lbs. I swear all we have to do in say the name and they start climbing in the draft. I think we make these kids more money than their agents do.

Its that damn Mayock....I swore I saw him outside my office window the other day!!!!

LLT
04-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Gotta add Hillsdale WR Andre Holmes to our "watch" list. 6'4 211 lbs...Small school WR with 104 receptions,1,368 receiving yardsand caught 11 touchdown passes last year. Ran a 4.45 at his pro day. Very smart...academic achiever...and is supposed to be a willng blocker. Needs some work on getting in and out of his breaks...good but not great route runner so he will need to be coached up.

Probably a late 5th to UDFA prospect who might get drafted early by some team that thinks that they struck gold.

LLT
04-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Version 4.0 is up!

Not a lot of changes in the first half of the round...but the back half remains very fluid. I counted 7 players that I thought COULD be there at #31 that we may draft if available!!!!

I still contend that this may be a GREAT year to draft down!!!

steeldevil
04-06-2011, 10:30 AM
There are so many players in areas of need for us (CB,OL,DL) that some of them will be bound to still be there at #31. I also like the possibility of trading back this year because of the new format. Teams with pick in the 38-45ish range may really want to trade into the 1st out of fear that the new break in action between the 1st and 2nd round will give more time for teams in the 33-37 range to "steal" their pick. Our #31 pick could be very appealing and we may get overcompensated for it. So excited for all the different options we will have!

LLT
04-26-2011, 06:23 PM
I have been a little behind on getting feedback from everyone on the mock draft.

The latest (and final) version is up and I am very interested in everyones opinion on several things.

1) First pick...I have stuck to my guns that the Panthers have been throwing around the concept of drafting a QB as a misdirection...hoping that someone would be willing to trade up to #1. Without a trade partner...I still think that they will go with A.J. Green.

2) Trades...I am pretty sure that the Patriots will trade out of the #28 spot and that we may have several willing partners to trade out of #31. If we are on the clock and Cameron Heyward is available...do we trade down or take him?

3) Who do you see falling out of the first round and who do you see sliding up into the first round?

Chidi29
04-26-2011, 08:13 PM
I have been a little behind on getting feedback from everyone on the mock draft.

The latest (and final) version is up and I am very interested in everyones opinion on several things.

1) First pick...I have stuck to my guns that the Panthers have been throwing around the concept of drafting a QB as a misdirection...hoping that someone would be willing to trade up to #1. Without a trade partner...I still think that they will go with A.J. Green.

2) Trades...I am pretty sure that the Patriots will trade out of the #28 spot and that we may have several willing partners to trade out of #31. If we are on the clock and Cameron Heyward is available...do we trade down or take him?

3) Who do you see falling out of the first round and who do you see sliding up into the first round?

Liked the mock Perry. No major disagreements.

Like to bold move of putting Green first but I doubt it happens. If they're not going to go Newton, I think they take Dareus. To me, they should take Dareus over Newton.

I'm more and more concerned we're picking too late for a team to trade up. New England is a possibiilty like you said but I'm really keeping an eye on Baltimore at 26. Newsome makes a lot of moves and traded out of the first round last year when Denver traded up for Tebow.

Really warming up to the idea of taking Heyward in the first. Probably will be the BPA. I see some similarities to Richard Seymour in Heyward. Just don't like the idea of taking a DE in the first round. In a perfect world, I wait a little while longer.

LLT
04-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Liked the mock Perry. No major disagreements.

Like to bold move of putting Green first but I doubt it happens. If they're not going to go Newton, I think they take Dareus. To me, they should take Dareus over Newton.

I'm more and more concerned we're picking too late for a team to trade up. New England is a possibiilty like you said but I'm really keeping an eye on Baltimore at 26. Newsome makes a lot of moves and traded out of the first round last year when Denver traded up for Tebow.

Really warming up to the idea of taking Heyward in the first. Probably will be the BPA. I see some similarities to Richard Seymour in Heyward. Just don't like the idea of taking a DE in the first round. In a perfect world, I wait a little while longer.

Dareus and Green are the only two possibilities as far as i am concerned. They both meet a need and they both are top 5 talent.

LLT
04-29-2011, 01:41 PM
I have been comparing my final draft to that of some of the experts and though I am pretty critical of myself...I didnt fare "too" badly. This draft was "weird" due to the teams having to reach for QB's...and it threw things out of whack a little.

In regards to players that were drafted exactly where I said they would be...I had 6....BUT teams that drafted the position I predicted was a respectable 15 and will pop up to 16 if the Patriots take an OLB with their traded pick.

"Eh",...better luck next year!!!

fansince'76
04-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Good work, all things considered. I mean, could anybody reasonably foresee Christian Ponder at #12? (Someone's job is riding on how that one turns out, I would think) Or the Falcons jumping all the way from #27 to #6?

SteelerSal
04-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Good work, all things considered. I mean, could anybody reasonably foresee Christian Ponder at #12? (Someone's job is riding on how that one turns out, I would think) Or the Falcons jumping all the way from #27 to #6?

Thats what I predicted..the day after. :lol: