PDA

View Full Version : BTSC: Nnamdi Asomugha Should Be a Pittsburgh Steeler

stillers4me
02-21-2011, 05:08 AM
What was theorized by some as early as the opener against Atlanta, and what was confirmed against New England and New Orleans, ultimately proved to be our undoing in the biggest game of the year on the biggest stage there is.
I'm not going to say what it is. We all know. And it needs to be fixed quickly.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

What we need is a 6'2", 210 lbs. corner who can run with anybody, who can maintain tight man coverage as well as play great in the zone. A guy who will step up and put a hit on a ball carrier, and not shy away from contact. Someone with the smarts and veteran savvy to pick up and mentally devour a playbook, maybe not knowing it all, but having the physical ability to make up for what he doesn't know yet while he becomes versed in the rest.

Now picture that player hungry for a championship, and starving for any team success in general at the professional level. Sounds pretty good right? But is there a player of that pedigree even out there, let alone someone that the Steelers might realistically be able to acquire? There may just be..........

Read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/2/20/1956418/nnamdi-asomugha-should-be-a-pittsburgh-steeler

SMR
02-21-2011, 06:14 AM
:applaudit:

HometownGal
02-21-2011, 06:38 AM
What a great read! :applaudit: :thumbsup:

Asomugha would definitely be a great fit for the Steelers seconday (and I believe, too, in the locker room), but the money factor is a BIG factor here.

SMR
02-21-2011, 07:07 AM
What a great read! :applaudit: :thumbsup:

Asomugha would definitely be a great fit for the Steelers seconday (and I believe, too, in the locker room), but the money factor is a BIG factor here.

Money a BIG factor? MAYBE. Aso may be wanting to take a small pay cut to join a championship caliber team. Pittsburgh is very doable with this IMO.

HometownGal
02-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Money a BIG factor? MAYBE. Aso may be wanting to take a small pay cut to join a championship caliber team. Pittsburgh is very doable with this IMO.

Money is always a BIG factor when signing a good player like Aso and we all know the Rooneys are cheap! :lol: ;) :heh:

I hope you're right with the "doable" prediction.

Devilsdancefloor
02-21-2011, 08:11 AM

it would have to be a serious pay cut, but he is a great corner maybe he takes that cut :noidea:

Steeldude
02-21-2011, 09:28 AM
too much money will be given to woodley to sign him. i expect the same secondary next season, but without taylor.

86WARD
02-21-2011, 09:36 AM
I'd take the $10M they're going to give to Woodley and give it to Asomugha.

86WARD
02-21-2011, 09:37 AM
too much money will be given to woodley to sign him. i expect the same secondary next season, but without taylor.

Which will equal at least 5 of losses right out of the gates...lol.

PalmerSteel
02-21-2011, 10:47 AM

thats the key there. ANY chance at all at signing nnamdi would mean he would take a small paycut and no resigning of woodley. woodley IMO is our best LB, given his combo of age,speed, strength. i dont think it would be worth the tradeoff.

Merchant
02-21-2011, 12:00 PM
No man. Don't post articles like this. Don't get my hopes up.

zulater
02-21-2011, 12:08 PM
thats the key there. ANY chance at all at signing nnamdi would mean he would take a small paycut and no resigning of woodley. woodley IMO is our best LB, given his combo of age,speed, strength. i dont think it would be worth the tradeoff.

Well if they let Ike walk that got that money they could use, plus there's a possibility that they might rework Aaron Smith's contract. Put it this way, if Asomugha really want to play for the Steelers I'd imagine they could find a way to come up with enough money.

But personally I think he'll end up signing with whoever offers him the most money, and I doubt that will be the Steelers.

fansince'76
02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
But personally I think he'll end up signing with whoever offers him the most money, and I doubt that will be the Steelers.

This. He'll probably wind up in Dallas or D.C.

SteelerEmpire
02-21-2011, 12:29 PM
If we get him (and if the other players on the team improves, or 'at least' stays the same), we "surely" can start taking #7, dynasty, etc... whatever you want to call it !

LLT
02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Well if they let Ike walk that got that money they could use, plus there's a possibility that they might rework Aaron Smith's contract. Put it this way, if Asomugha really want to play for the Steelers I'd imagine they could find a way to come up with enough money.

Which raises an interesting question.

Knowing that we could grab a 1st round CB in this draft to play on one side...Is there any chance we let Ike go and use the money on Asomugha?

SteelerEmpire
02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Which raises an interesting question.

Knowing that we could grab a 1st round CB in this draft to play on one side...Is there any chance we let Ike go and use the money on Asomugha?

Would be very kool... but they say its harder to get a good, shut-down corner than even a franchise QB.

steelpride12
02-21-2011, 01:02 PM
You know any other team, but the Steelers who need a secondary upgrade has a strong chance to sign him, but Rooneys are cheap and in no way will pay him the money he probably wants and I expect that Dallas will probably pick him up with a HUGE contract. It would surely give this defense the boost we needed at secondary position, but don't get your hopes up.

zulater
02-21-2011, 01:13 PM
You know any other team, but the Steelers who need a secondary upgrade has a strong chance to sign him, but Rooneys are cheap and in no way will pay him the money he probably wants and I expect that Dallas will probably pick him up with a HUGE contract. It would surely give this defense the boost we needed at secondary position, but don't get your hopes up.

The Steelers aren't cheap, they're just not foolhardy with their money like the Redskins, Cowboys, and Raiders are. And judging by the results, I think they've been proved right in their handling of free agents way more often than not.

Merchant
02-21-2011, 03:42 PM

How are the Rooneys cheap? Would you rather have Dan Snyder as your owner and pay Albert Haynesworth $100 million?

steelreserve
02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't think the money is going to be quite as much as everyone thinks here. Asomugha's last contract was basically a bribe because he'd made it known he was sick of the Raiders after being franchised 3 times in a row. They gave it to him because the only way to keep him was to offer something completely out of the realm of what he was worth or what he was expecting in free agency. So there's a chance it only turns out to be something like $7-8M, which is not much more than we'd have to give Ike, and probably is more like what he would've signed a long-term deal with 2 years ago for anyone but the Raiders.

On the other hand, the hype has built up so much BECAUSE of the amount he was making, and because of the Revis greed-fest this year, that maybe it actually has pushed salaries for top corners into the $12-15M range permanently. In which case ... thanks, Al.

salamander
02-21-2011, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't call them cheap, just smart. Throwing money around doesn't necessarily equal success. Just ask Redskins or Raiders fans.

SMR
02-21-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't think the money is going to be quite as much as everyone thinks here. Asomugha's last contract was basically a bribe because he'd made it known he was sick of the Raiders after being franchised 3 times in a row. They gave it to him because the only way to keep him was to offer something completely out of the realm of what he was worth or what he was expecting in free agency. So there's a chance it only turns out to be something like $7-8M, which is not much more than we'd have to give Ike, and probably is more like what he would've signed a long-term deal with 2 years ago for anyone but the Raiders.

On the other hand, the hype has built up so much BECAUSE of the amount he was making, and because of the Revis greed-fest this year, that maybe it actually has pushed salaries for top corners into the $12-15M range permanently. In which case ... thanks, Al.

Good post, bud.

JayC
02-21-2011, 05:18 PM

if that happens i expect a 8-8 or 10-6 season at best and definately no superbowl for sure (if they even have nfl next year, would be stupid not too).

Psycho Ward 86
02-21-2011, 05:55 PM
A guy can dream :)

Hindes204
02-21-2011, 06:50 PM
While it would be great to pick this guy up, I don't think there is a chance in hell it happens. The Rooneys have never been fans of picking up high profile free agents and paying a bunch of money, it's just not their style. In my mind it'll boil down to three teams, and they all reside in the NFC East

silver & black
02-21-2011, 08:32 PM
You can have him.

zulater
02-21-2011, 08:34 PM
You can have him.

???

silver & black
02-21-2011, 08:46 PM
???

Nnamdi is a luxury player. He doesn't win or lose games for the Raiders. IMO, Nnamdi is overrated. He only plays one side of the field (for the Raiders)... he may play the best WR for any other team. He is a good man coverage corner. His tackling is average. He doesn't get thrown at very often... because our opponents don't HAVE to throw at him. They merely expose the weakness on the other side of the field. When the opposing QB has thrown at him, he's gotten beat enough times.

He's a class guy. I have nothing bad to say about him. He just doesn't need to be a Raider anymore. He gets paid waaayyy too much money for not much in the way of making the team better. He's a guy that needs to be on a team that is contending. The Raiders don't need and can't afford the cost of a player like Nnamdi. He's a waste of money on a team that could have 3-4 "solid" players for what he gets paid. I'll be glad to see him leave... and wish him the best of luck wherever he goes.

zulater
02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Nnamdi is a luxury player. He doesn't win or lose games for the Raiders. IMO, Nnamdi is overrated. He only plays one side of the field (for the Raiders)... he may play the best WR for any other team. He is a good man coverage corner. His tackling is average. He doesn't get thrown at very often... because our opponents don't HAVE to throw at him. They merely expose the weakness on the other side of the field. When the opposing QB has thrown at him, he's gotten beat enough times.

He's a class guy. I have nothing bad to say about him. He just doesn't need to be a Raider anymore. He gets paid waaayyy too much money for not much in the way of making the team better. He's a guy that needs to be on a team that is contending. The Raiders don't need and can't afford the cost of a player like Nnamdi. He's a waste of money on a team that could have 3-4 "solid" players for what he gets paid. I'll be glad to see him leave... and wish him the best of luck wherever he goes.

Thanks for the clarification.

steelreserve
02-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Yeah, and just to clarify from our end: I think it would do absolutely no good to bring in a guy like Nnamdi unless we kept Taylor also. Otherwise, it'd just be more of the same from this year: One CB who has his shit together, and McFadden or Gay getting their butts reamed all day. It doesn't work unless you have TWO good CBs. And with the insane amount of money we're probably paying Woodley, I don't think it's very likely we'll be able to keep Ike AND get someone like that. We're probably better off looking in the $3-4M range for someone who's slightly above average - and RELIABLY above average - to replace Gay.

Craic
02-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah, and just to clarify from our end: I think it would do absolutely no good to bring in a guy like Nnamdi unless we kept Taylor also. Otherwise, it'd just be more of the same from this year: One CB who has his shit together, and McFadden or Gay getting their butts reamed all day. It doesn't work unless you have TWO good CBs. And with the insane amount of money we're probably paying Woodley, I don't think it's very likely we'll be able to keep Ike AND get someone like that. We're probably better off looking in the $3-4M range for someone who's slightly above average - and RELIABLY above average - to replace Gay.

I was going to disagree with you only because I was thinking, if we bring in Nnamdi without Taylor, we could leave him on an island and use the FS to double the other guy.

However, with our scheme, I think you're right. It just isn't something we could take advantage of. However, I do think you are wrong on who should be replaced. We need to keep Ike (you said the same), but Gay doesn't need to be replayed as the nickel CB. His stats actually show he had a pretty good year. I don't know how McFadden would do in the nickel, but that is who I would see as the leftover (actually, I think we'd keep em both and dump other players).

Galax Steeler
02-22-2011, 04:18 AM
Lets sign him I am ready for him to be a Steeler.

SMR
02-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Lets sign him I am ready for him to be a Steeler.

:drink:

steeleyfreak
02-22-2011, 03:38 PM
The Steelers aren't cheap, they're just not foolhardy with their money like the Redskins, Cowboys, and Raiders are. And judging by the results, I think they've been proved right in their handling of free agents way more often than not.

DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner!:applaudit:

SMR
02-22-2011, 03:45 PM
DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner!:applaudit:

Where's the chicken dinner?

steelpride12
02-22-2011, 03:48 PM
If he didn't want a boat load of money sure, but the highest bidder will win.

Psycho Ward 86
02-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah, and just to clarify from our end: I think it would do absolutely no good to bring in a guy like Nnamdi unless we kept Taylor also. Otherwise, it'd just be more of the same from this year: One CB who has his shit together, and McFadden or Gay getting their butts reamed all day.

Haha, very true. Especially against those damn spread offenses like the Pats, Packers, and Saints that we have trouble against. One CB can only do so much

SMR
02-22-2011, 04:51 PM
If he didn't want a boat load of money sure, but the highest bidder will win.

The highest bidder, no matter how sucky the team may be? I dunno. Aso may want to go to a playoff team for a change of scenario. I would, especially if I already make more than enough money!

zulater
02-24-2011, 04:21 PM
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/oakland_raiders_sign_cornerback_stanford_routt_to_ 31_million_dollar_deal_is_nnamdi_asomugha_on_his_w ay_out/4231588

The Oakland Raiders announced that they have signed cornerback Stanford Routt to a three-year, $31 million dollar deal. Who is Routt, you may ask? Well he’s only one of the best cornerbacks in the National Football League. In 2010, he allowed a 69.0 passer rating, a top ten mark among all cornerbacks in the league. He allowed just 38 percent of passes thrown his way to be completed, the second best mark in the league, behind Darrelle Revis. He intercepted two passes and returned one for a touchdown. He also filled in admirably as the Raiders’ number one cornerback for a couple of games while Nnamdi Asomugha was injured. So does the signing of 27-year old Stanford Routt, plus the signing of defensive tackle Richard Seymour to a huge deal, mean that prized free agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is on his way out? Absolutely. It’s not a guarantee, but I would be very surprised if the Oakland Raiders could afford to keep Nnamdi Asomugha. Routt is making twenty million...

SMR
02-24-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/oakland_raiders_sign_cornerback_stanford_routt_to_ 31_million_dollar_deal_is_nnamdi_asomugha_on_his_w ay_out/4231588

The Oakland Raiders announced that they have signed cornerback Stanford Routt to a three-year, $31 million dollar deal. Who is Routt, you may ask? Well he’s only one of the best cornerbacks in the National Football League. In 2010, he allowed a 69.0 passer rating, a top ten mark among all cornerbacks in the league. He allowed just 38 percent of passes thrown his way to be completed, the second best mark in the league, behind Darrelle Revis. He intercepted two passes and returned one for a touchdown. He also filled in admirably as the Raiders’ number one cornerback for a couple of games while Nnamdi Asomugha was injured. So does the signing of 27-year old Stanford Routt, plus the signing of defensive tackle Richard Seymour to a huge deal, mean that prized free agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is on his way out? Absolutely. It’s not a guarantee, but I would be very surprised if the Oakland Raiders could afford to keep Nnamdi Asomugha. Routt is making twenty million...

Hmmmm...interesting. Thanks for the link, bud!

silver & black
02-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Routt played well last year. But, I need to see him play equally as well next season. He hasn't exactly been a "great playah" in his time with the Raiders. Funny how stats say one thing, but the fan base of a team seems to feel differently. Routt has been soundly chastised in the past, for poor play.

zulater
02-28-2011, 06:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6168598
Damien Woody has been released by the Jets.

Now here's a more reasonable free agent target for the Steelers if Colon flies the coop.

Craic
02-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Haha, very true. Especially against those damn spread offenses like the Pats, Packers, and Saints that we have trouble against. One CB can only do so much

Then again, if he replaced Ike- least we'd have someone who could bring down some INT's as well :heh:

Iron Steeler
02-28-2011, 07:08 PM
We need a secondary reload , ASAP.... just get it done Colbert. Through the draft or free agency. Just get it done...

Psycho Ward 86
02-28-2011, 07:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6168598
Damien Woody has been released by the Jets.

Now here's a more reasonable free agent target for the Steelers if Colon flies the coop.

I don't want a 33 year old vet, no thanks. High level of play? Cool, nothing close to a long-term solution.

Pete The Greek
03-08-2011, 10:20 PM
We need a secondary reload , ASAP.... just get it done Colbert. Through the draft or free agency. Just get it done...

Agreed. The CBs need to be upgraded.