PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Running backs always available

LLT
02-20-2011, 08:29 AM
On the Steelers: Running backs always available
Sunday, February 20, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201009/issac2_330.jpg

The loss of Frank Summers to the San Diego Chargers and the possible loss of free agent Mewelde Moore shines a light on the Steelers halfback position.

They are down to just three -- workhorse Rashard Mendenhall and two young backs, Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer (they also signed former Kansas State back James Johnson recently to a futures contract). But then, you can find a good back almost anywhere, and the Steelers have been proof of that for 30 years....

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11051/1126435-66.stm#ixzz1EVduS2uu

SMR
02-20-2011, 09:04 AM
I am glad we still have Redman! Dude is reliable when used.

Count Steeler
02-20-2011, 09:07 AM
I think we will see more of Redman next year. Also hope to see more of Dwyer if Moore decides to leave.

solardave
02-20-2011, 09:23 AM
I am glad we still have Redman! Dude is reliable when used.
Me too! We need to get him more carries though. The guy is tough as nails and has the right attitude.

Psycho Ward 86
02-20-2011, 09:44 AM
"Redman looks a little like Pollard, bull-running, straight-ahead backs who will get you more yards than you think they should."

That is the PERFECT way to describe Redman. What I love about this kid is his approach on short yardage situations. I know i'm not the only one who noticed this: He always seems to get an extra yard or two.....or three....or four....or five more yards than we need in short yardage situations. It's great to have runningback that doesnt know how to cry uncle. Give him the rock!

Devilsdancefloor
02-20-2011, 09:48 AM
"Redman looks a little like Pollard, bull-running, straight-ahead backs who will get you more yards than you think they should."

That is the PERFECT way to describe Redman. What I love about this kid is his approach on short yardage situations. I know i'm not the only one who noticed this: He always seems to get an extra yard or two.....or three....or four....or five more yards than we need in short yardage situations. It's great to have runningback that doesnt know how to cry uncle. Give him the rock!

he Always seems to "fall foward" not get pushed back

LLT
02-20-2011, 12:20 PM
he Always seems to "fall foward" not get pushed back

His "push" reminds me of Bettis. Not saying that he is elite like Bettis was...but the way that he hits the defender..lowers his shoulder while securing the ball...then turns and utilizes his full leg strength by churning his feet and moving backwards into the pile.

steelerdude15
02-20-2011, 10:49 PM
I agree, Isaac has played great in his role and I hope we get to see him more next year.

Craic
02-21-2011, 12:43 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing us take a leap at a small school scat back type player in the 7th round or so. See if we can bring someone in that can play a bit more in MeMo's role. If not, Then rev up Dwyer. Second year, he should be ready to suit up for games.

Personally, I wish everyone would drop the FB issue, and just let Redman lineup as fullback. He truly gives us a two back option.

solardave
02-21-2011, 04:24 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing us take a leap at a small school scat back type player in the 7th round or so. See if we can bring someone in that can play a bit more in MeMo's role. If not, Then rev up Dwyer. Second year, he should be ready to suit up for games.

Personally, I wish everyone would drop the FB issue, and just let Redman lineup as fullback. He truly gives us a two back option.

I was thinking the same thing but can he block effectively? Using 2 backs and the quick hand off would add the element of surprise.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-21-2011, 11:04 AM
I thought that Logan would be the possible 3rd down back when Moore left, but he was probably a liability in blitz pickup. I can see maybe a rookie getting picked up with some receiving skills for 3rd downs. I still think we need a viable #2 back to take some carries off of Mendenhall or be a replacement in case of injury.

Still wish we took LeGarrett Blount instead of Dwyer.

The Duke
02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
I thought that Logan would be the possible 3rd down back when Moore left, but he was probably a liability in blitz pickup. I can see maybe a rookie getting picked up with some receiving skills for 3rd downs. I still think we need a viable #2 back to take some carries off of Mendenhall or be a replacement in case of injury.

Still wish we took LeGarrett Blount instead of Dwyer.

man, that would have been cool. But considering his baggage it was probably unlikely. Heck, even the titans had him and released him! Bucs got lucky there