PDA

View Full Version : Which free agents do you want that the Steelers could realistically pick up?

Psycho Ward 86
02-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Here's the free agent market we're looking at: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e58b27/article/cba-or-no-cba-teams-still-preparing-for-freeagency-market?module=HP_cp2

RB's: Jerious Norwood of the Falcons or Jason Snelling of the Falcons. Both still young, and well rounded backs. I'd prefer Snelling mostly because Norwood's biggest knock since coming into the league has been being injury prone, but his gashing speed is VERY intriguing. I'm more of a powerback guy myself. Both fellas can catch the ball. I think people around the league forget how well Snelling ran last year when he was starting for Turner.

FB's: Ahmard Hall from the Titans. I know I know, "no FB in my offense" according to the words of Brucie, but Hall's been making a living paving the road for White and CJ2K. This isn't a knock on David Johnson at all, but I figure if Matt Spaeth didnt come back, then we'd be getting thin at tight end and fullback and Hall wouldnt just ease that depth, he would supplant an important role on this team. Love love love Hall.

CB's: Fabian Washington from the Ravens. Biggest knock is being injury prone the last couple of years, but he's been a real f*cking pain in the ass for us I'll admit and I think he could be an asset for us. We either need a reliable veteran CB or draft a rookie who can be great on Day 1. If we go with option one, I'll take Washington.

DE's: Johnathan Fanene from the Bengals. Really he only has one great year to show for as a starter, but he was AWESOME during that season and sweet lord is he immovable against the run. Being injury prone could also be a concern here.

Just to name a few...how about you guys

vader29
02-19-2011, 09:58 PM
I hope they can get a CB in free agency to at least come into camp and compete with BMac and Gay, Champ Bailey for just a year or two at the right price would be nice. And also bring back John Kuhn!

The Duke
02-19-2011, 10:00 PM
I've always liked Norwood. If they were to get rid of Moore because he's not what he was two years ago I would love to get him. But yeah, he's been severely injury prone

Jeff King is a great blocking tight end that could easily replace Spaeth imo. Plus he fits the bill as a small name/small contract free agent that we'd go for. Could eliminate drafting a TE in the draft

43Blitz
02-19-2011, 10:25 PM
here is a quick reach but I wanted to throw a few out there any way;...

Nnamdi Asomugha CB (a shut down corner which is exactly what the Steelers Need)

Bob Sanders Safety (yeah I know he has been injury prone, but so has just about everyone else listed her, maybe he just needs a change of scenery) just sayin

but if I had a choice I would love for the Steelers to pick up Nnamdi Asomugha CB . is he out of their price range, Maybe one just never knows

Chidi29
02-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Duke was dead on about King. He was the guy I was going to bring up. Has spent all his time in a run heavy scheme. If we want to let Spaeth go, we'll need to get another blocker.

Not a lot else on the list that caught my eye.

HometownGal
02-20-2011, 07:12 AM
I hope they can get a CB in free agency to at least come into camp and compete with BMac and Gay, Champ Bailey for just a year or two at the right price would be nice. And also bring back John Kuhn!

I wouldn't mind having Champ in the black 'n gold but I just don't know at this point if the Steelers could afford him. He would be a great addition to our secondary.

Kaeg
02-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Brett Favre

Galax Steeler
02-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Brett Favre:buttkick:

LLT
02-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Well....like everyone else, I would love to have Nnamdi Asomugha but agree that he is out of our price range.

Soooo.......realistically?

OG Carl Nicks is only 26 and OG Davin Joseph is 27....both might be resigned by their teams but I would take a look at both of them.

OT Doug Free is 27 and at least worth a look....If OT Jared Gaither clears a medical check and has his head screwed on correctly, he might be a future LT.

I would take 6'4 210 lb WR Sidney Rice in a heart beat, as the future WR to play on the other side of Wallace.

CB Johnathan Joseph would be worth signing at the right price...but I would be more interested in CB Brent Grimes from Atlanta.

27 year old Paul Soliai (6'4 355) or 26 year old Brandon Mebane (6'1 315) might be possibilities when thinking about younger NT's...26 year old Barry Cofield (6'4 309) of the Giants would be interesting because he has played NT, but has the size to also play 3-4 DE.

tube517
02-20-2011, 08:16 AM
We'll need a long snapper because Greg Warren goes on IR on December 9th of every year.

Texasteel
02-20-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't mind Dukes idea of King either, and as LLT mentioned, I see a few OL help that might not cost an arm and a leg. If we could help the OL throught FA, that could free our hands to help the defensive back field and strengthen LBs as well in the draft. Still, I have an idea that we will sign probably one bargain basement player and start to work with the draft.

Psycho Ward 86
02-20-2011, 09:57 AM
27 year old Paul Soliai (6'4 355) or 26 year old Brandon Mebane (6'1 315) might be possibilities when thinking about younger NT's...26 year old Barry Cofield (6'4 309) of the Giants would be interesting because he has played NT, but has the size to also play 3-4 DE.

Great call on Cofield. The Giants are ridiculously deep on the D-line anyways making him expendable.

The Duke
02-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Mebane and Soliai are likely looking for big contracts. Soliai especially. Don't know much about coefield though, he'd be nice

LLT
02-20-2011, 10:16 AM
......as LLT mentioned, I see a few OL help that might not cost an arm and a leg. If we could help the OL throught FA, that could free our hands to help the defensive back field and strengthen LBs as well in the draft. Still, I have an idea that we will sign probably one bargain basement player and start to work with the draft.

Tex...

My worry is that all the top tier OT's are going to be gone before #31 which might might force our hand into taking one that we might have passed on otherwise...or might make us reach for one. I hope that we look real hard at FA, otherwise, as long as Starks and Colon are healthy and signed next year... I would rather wait and just strengthen the interior of the line.

The more that I look at Brent Grimes...the more that I wish we could sign him and finally have a legit CB on Ikes opposite side. If I am not mistaken he has some ridiculous stats in regards to passes defended...something like 42 passes defended and 11 INT's over two years.

LLT
02-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Mebane and Soliai are likely looking for big contracts. Soliai especially. Don't know much about coefield though, he'd be nice

Soliali has Chris Baker behind him. Baker is pretty much an unknown quanity right now so the Dolphins will probably try very hard to resign him. There has been some talk about moving Amos Gordon over to Mebane's position if the Seahawks cant resign him...so he is more in play as a FA than Soliali.

As PsychoWard86 said The Giants are pretty deep at DT....they have 6'4 328 lb Linval Joseph ready to step in if they cant sign Cofield.

Texasteel
02-20-2011, 10:34 AM
OH, I'm not saying I wouldn't love to sign 2 or 3 of this guys. I just know what happens when the FA feeding frenzy starts, and I know Pittsburgh will not be a part of that.

LLT
02-20-2011, 10:37 AM
OH, I'm not saying I wouldn't love to sign 2 or 3 of this guys. I just know what happens when the FA feeding frenzy starts, and I know Pittsburgh will not be a part of that.

Right on the money....they will wait until the insanity stops...then shop the bargain bin.

Texasteel
02-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Right on the money....they will wait until the insanity stops...then shop the bargain bin.

I believe that's how we got Clark. It does work sometimes.

polamalubeast
02-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Brett Favre,Antonio Cromatie,Terrell Owens and Randy Moss:pray::rolleyes::mod:

:sarcasm::sarcasm::peep::behindsofa:

LLT
02-20-2011, 10:56 AM
I believe that's how we got Clark. It does work sometimes.

Thats how we got Kimo von Oelhoffen also.

Texasteel
02-20-2011, 10:59 AM

You need two more sarcasm smileys and a Dear God, please don't take me serious

salamander
02-20-2011, 11:40 AM

We would be totally unstoppable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:toofunny::rofl2::toofunny::rofl2::toofunny::rofl2 :

Psycho Ward 86
02-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Word on the street is Willis McGahee is going to be released soon. Another RB i wouldnt mind having on the team, but then again he's said before that he wants to be a starting RB again, and im guessing he wants to be paid that way too...

zulater
02-21-2011, 07:41 PM

What, no Ochocinco!