PDA

View Full Version : Questions linger at linebacker

Aussie_steeler
02-19-2011, 01:37 AM
There's a first time for everything.

Who thought the Steelers would have a $100 million quarterback?

Or a $50 million linebacker?

How about two $50 million linebackers?

Do I hear three?

James Harrison is the highest-paid linebacker in Steelers history. LaMarr Woodley, whom the Steelers designated Friday as their franchise player, may be about to join Harrison. And don't forget that a year from now Lawrence Timmons will be waiting his turn at the negotiating table.

That would be a lot of money to invest at one position and a major shift in philosophy for the Steelers

Read more: Harris: Questions linger at linebacker - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_723693.html#ixzz1EO6iHmAk) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_723693.html#ixzz1EO6iHmAk

After reading this article you begin to realise that a fair chunk of the cap is going towards the linebacking corp.

It certainly does pose some interesting questions?

At some stage in time one of the four mentioned linebackers, Harrison, Woodley, Timmons or Worilds will become a cap casuatly.

I dont want to consider that prospect.

LLT
02-19-2011, 05:24 AM
Gotta think that its going to be Harrison. The Steelers way has always been to cut their aging high-priced players. The real question is....is Worilds ready to take the next step?

Count Steeler
02-19-2011, 06:39 AM
Steelers will keep picking linebackers in the draft and filling in holes. Most likely Farrior will be first, then Harrison. Sylvester and Worilds will have to step up or some picks from this year's draft. We need help at CB, OL, DL, but the Steelers will find a way to draft a LB.

Stlrs4Life
02-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Good post carnoj. Ya can't worry about stuff that hasn't happened yet.

SMR
02-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Good post carnoj. Ya can't worry about stuff that hasn't happened yet.

LOL, that is so true.

The Duke
02-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Gotta think that its going to be Harrison. The Steelers way has always been to cut their aging high-priced players. The real question is....is Worilds ready to take the next step?

Been thinking about that lately

though I do think Farrior will retire before that happens. Man I hope it doesn't happen all in one offseason....

tube517
02-19-2011, 03:02 PM
I think they view Timmons as the one they really need to keep. He can play inside or outside. And they need to re-sign him next year. I trust Colbert and the Rooneys to handle it and make the best decision for the team.

Count Steeler
02-19-2011, 03:19 PM
I imagine this off season would have been way different if we won our 7th. More vets would have retired. Now they want to stick around because we are so close to getting another ring. Could cause some problems down the road. One of the prices you pay for success.

Craic
02-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Naa, I am not too worried. The Steelers have a way of taking the older players, and extending their contracts at much lower costs for the younger players to stay. Harrison problem has 3-5 more years if this surgery fixes whatever it is that is bothering him. Farrior will probably have 2-4 more years or so. I could see Harrison getting a renegotiation that lowers his cap value quite a bit. I think Ward does the same (or signs for a new one), I also would think Aaron Smith does the same, and comes back as a backup in a year or two, maybe next year. No, if the Steelers continue to play it smart, I think they will not have cap problems, even while retaining the core of the team.

Count Steeler
02-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Naa, I am not too worried. The Steelers have a way of taking the older players, and extending their contracts at much lower costs for the younger players to stay. Harrison problem has 3-5 more years if this surgery fixes whatever it is that is bothering him. Farrior will probably have 2-4 more years or so. I could see Harrison getting a renegotiation that lowers his cap value quite a bit. I think Ward does the same (or signs for a new one), I also would think Aaron Smith does the same, and comes back as a backup in a year or two, maybe next year. No, if the Steelers continue to play it smart, I think they will not have cap problems, even while retaining the core of the team.

Cap considerations are one thing. However, a bunch of players in their mid thirties will not bode well for team results. Unfortunately, the NFL is a young league, not many playing in their mid to late 30's.

Craic
02-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Cap considerations are one thing. However, a bunch of players in their mid thirties will not bode well for team results. Unfortunately, the NFL is a young league, not many playing in their mid to late 30's.

That isn't necessarily true for linebacker.
Bruscki,
Vrabel,
Bryan Thomas,
Jason Taylor
Ray Lewis
Eric Barton
Dhani Jones
Harrison
Farrior

Are all 33 or above, and are starting LB's for their AFC team (or where when they retired). (except, perhaps Taylor)

I skipped about 3 or 4 that were in their early 30's, and a few others that were backups.

Nowadays, the issue isn't age as much as it is ability. With all the medicene advances, knowledge of body, etc., as long as they can keep their speed up, they can still play. Harrison and Farrior have both done that.
The only other issue could be injury. except for this back surgery- which Harrison has all offseason to recover from, he seems to not really be affected by injury. Neither does Farrior.

The DL is the same way. Lots of older players on the DL, because there, it isn't as much about speed as power-and in 3-4, gap control. Big Snack, if he wants to, could probably play another 3 seasons or so. 36 years old isn't that bad a deal for a NT. Keisel could play for about 4- puts him at 36.

So, we already have 1 DL and 2 LB spots sealed up for quite some time. That just leaves 4 spots to fill over the next 3-4 years. That doesn't scare me-on top of that, I could see 2 of the four taking cap friendly deals to stay with the team-and even start while a new kid is being trained.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-19-2011, 08:21 PM
I would expect to see Harrison for at least another 1-2 seasons. Farrior will retire and Foote or a rookie will step in. Worilds will be ready to play in 2 years probably.

Psycho Ward 86
02-19-2011, 09:20 PM

let's hope our LB corp is as deep as the Packers!

7willBheaven
02-19-2011, 09:36 PM
While it may seem like an interesting situation...I dont think it will be as bad as it may seem. When Harrison got his big payday is was right after his DPOY so his was going to be a nice sized deal. Woodley probably wont (as much as i like him) and shouldnt receive the same kind of deal...it should be below what Harrison got. Woodley isnt an All Pro...or a DPOY...he has been to a couple Probowls (but what do those mean anymore). Harrisons numbers his year dont look that bad...only $3.66 million in salary, plus a $900,000 roster bonus in 2011.

Farrior will be done before any of the others, be it retired or released. I forget what his new deal was from back in 09 was for, but it wasnt as big as Harrisons of course. Now Timmons....he's put up some decent numbers...and has gotten better each year...he has versatility not just at the LB position put he sometimes lets them pull a safety out of the game to put in another DL or LB. I'm not sure what kind of deal he would garner...and i think it also depends WHEN they sign him to a new deal. After re-signing Woodley this off season...I could see the case where they let Timmons play out his final year (having some talks before the season starts), Farrior retires after the 2011 season...and then they could have a couple options...Tag him...or work a deal and save the tag. I'm not as worried about Timmons right now...and either way i think they'll get it done.

As I look as it...Timmons is going to be the man at ILB...replacing Farrior so to speak...and Woodley will be the man "replacing Harrison" as the man at OLB in a few years...then Worilds will be the new younger guy taking Woodleys place as the young OLB. In my eyes if they can pull that off...they'll be set.

Steeldude
02-19-2011, 10:04 PM
I would expect to see Harrison for at least another 1-2 seasons. Farrior will retire and Foote or a rookie will step in. Worilds will be ready to play in 2 years probably.

i am hoping foote is long gone by then. i really don't want to see one of the worst LBs in pass coverage take farrior's spot.

by the time worilds is given a chance to start the steelers will have to re-sign him.

Count Steeler
02-20-2011, 05:59 AM
That isn't necessarily true for linebacker.
Bruscki,
Vrabel,
Bryan Thomas,
Jason Taylor
Ray Lewis
Eric Barton
Dhani Jones
Harrison
Farrior

Are all 33 or above, and are starting LB's for their AFC team (or where when they retired). (except, perhaps Taylor)

Lewis 35, Farrior 36, Taylor 36. These are the only mid to late 30 year olds on the list.
In the NFC, Fletcher and Brookings are 35. While most of these guys had good years, there were no 37 year old starters at LB in the NFL.

I am not saying that I am not impressed with the play of the above players, but there is a quick drop off at a certain age for NFL players. Farrior had a fantastic statistical year and I would hope he could last another couple of years, but age statistics dictate otherwise.