PDA

View Full Version : Managing Expectations for a Mike and Maurkice Reunion

stillers4me
02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
On our last podcast (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/steelers-lounge-podcast-37-offseason-carnell-lake/) Gretz brought up something that crossed all of our minds at some point last season: what if the Steelers drafted Brother of Maurkice this April? It would lead to an avalanche of inevitable, “Hey, they’re TWINS!” news stories (in which case, we all win, because, really, who can ever get enough of that?). But after the hysteria subsides, the conversation will eventually turn to something more substantial. Like: can Mike play? And more specifically: how well can he play relative to his brother, a rookie Pro Bowler?

This is my fear with the Steelers taking Mike P: expectations for him will be higher than they were for Maurkice a year ago. Last summer, the plan was to see what Maurkice could do, perhaps let him play guard as a rookie if he could beat out Trai Essex (I’m laughing now just thinking about the possibility of Essex besting Maurkice in anything), and Justin Hartwig would keep his job for another season.

The plan changed after a few training camp practices and by the time the Steelers left Latrobe, Maurkice was a starter and Hartwig was on the fast track out of the NFL.That Maurkice had so much success so quickly was a nice surprise, but certainly not expected in July....................

Read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/managing-expectations-mike-maurkice-reunion/

XxKnightxX
02-18-2011, 08:34 PM
I think the fact that hes Maurkice's brother will rise his stock up well enough so we miss out on him. I think he would be a great addition to our line as that rough grinder, but when it all comes to the end. Im not sure if hes worth the first round pick. Unless we find no one thats good at 31 we take him or else the only possible situation is trading into the second round, risking our 3rd and 5th round picks. Dont see it happening.

steelreserve
02-18-2011, 11:45 PM
1. I don't think we'll take another offensive lineman in the first round this year.

2. I especially don't think we'll take another interior lineman in the first round this year. Tackle is obviously our thin spot. And all the good ones will be long gone by #31.

Basically, the only way I see this happening is if he's still somehow on the board by about the 20th pick of the second round and we start thinking about moving up to grab him. I'd rather see us do something concerning DL and CB in the first couple rounds, though.

Craic
02-19-2011, 01:22 AM
If he is BPA, or one of an equal group of BPA at 31, we grab him. I don't see us grabbing a CB at 31 unless someone falls to us for some crazy reason. The only exception would be if a NT or DE was at 31 and equal. I do NOT see us going after tackles. I think this team will look and see 3 starting tackles on this roster and simply not worry about a fourth-unless again, someone of AMAZING quality comes down the pike.

But all things being equal, if OUR GUY isn't there at 31, and he is in a equal group of BP'sA outside of a D lineman-start fitting him for the B&G.

LLT
02-19-2011, 05:29 AM
I think that Mike Pouncey wont make it past Philly....but thats not necessarilly a bad thing. There are very good OG's to be had all the way into the 4th round this year. With Benjamin Ijalana getting a 2nd round grade....Will Rackley getting a third round grade...and John Moffitt getting a fourth round grade. I would be very pleased to get any one of those three on the team this next year.

I do believe that this year we will go CB in the first. There is no doubt that the weakest link on our defense is the CB slot opposite Taylor. One has to think that in hiring a D-back coach, there has been talk to the potential candidates that the CB position will be a priority.

zulater
02-21-2011, 02:35 PM
1. I don't think we'll take another offensive lineman in the first round this year.

2. I especially don't think we'll take another interior lineman in the first round this year. Tackle is obviously our thin spot. And all the good ones will be long gone by #31.

Basically, the only way I see this happening is if he's still somehow on the board by about the 20th pick of the second round and we start thinking about moving up to grab him. I'd rather see us do something concerning DL and CB in the first couple rounds, though.

Agree with you right across the board on this. I can live with some combination of Foster, Kemo, and Legurskey at guard. The secondary is the greatest concern, and on the O-line the tackles pose more of a problem than the guards.